Dividing Kashmir into Smaller States

Sankar Kanasan

Hi I am new to the Forum. I used to be in Bharat Rakshak Forums many years back. I was not born in India but i do have a strong interest in the land of my ancestors.

I was reading about the history and geographic of the state of Jammu & Kashmir and i learned that the State has 3 divisions.

Jammu Division = Hindu majority of 60 % to 65 % and Muslims are around 30 %.

Ladakh Division = 50 % Buddhist, 46 % Shia Muslims others 3 %

Kashmir Valley = 95 % Muslim, 4 % to 5 % Hindu.

Looking at the Demographic stats and the fact that almost all political violence originates from the Kashmir Valley, why can't India make Ladakh and Jammu their own states and let the people of Kashmir Valley decide their fate.

Let them choose Independence or join up with Pakistan.

If you look at the map of Jammu & Kashmir. Kashmir Valley is actually a small part of the State.

File:Kashmir border.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is just an idea. What do you guys think ?

Sorry about the title of the thread.

Last edited:

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
Hi I am new to the Forum. I used to be in Bharat Rakshak Forums many years back. I was not born in India but i do have a strong interest in the land of my ancestors.

I was reading about the history and geographic of the state of Jammu & Kashmir and i learned that the State has 3 divisions.

Jammu Division = Hindu majority of 60 % to 65 % and Muslims are around 30 %.

Ladakh Division = 50 % Buddhist, 46 % Shia Muslims others 3 %

Kashmir Valley = 95 % Muslim, 4 % to 5 % Hindu.

Looking at the Demographic stats and the fact that almost all political violence originates from the Kashmir Valley, why can't India make Ladakh and Jammu their own states and let the people of Kashmir Valley decide their fate.

Let them choose Independence or join up with Pakistan.

If you look at the map of Jammu & Kashmir. Kashmir Valley is actually a small part of the State.

File:Kashmir border.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is just an idea. What do you guys think ?

Sorry about the title of the thread.
Jammuites favour this exact solution except that Ladakh should be made a UT rather than its own state. Jammu should be merged with Chamba and Kangra regions of Himachal as these regions have a lot of Dogri speakers and are majority hindu. Pathankot can also be merged with Jammu to form a large state that acts as a buffer against muslim majority valley to the north.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Welcome to the eleventy bajillionth thread on this topic. Just what we needed.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles