Defexpo 2018

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Advance Medium helicopter....................................................................................................................................
AMCA........................................................................................................................................
AMCA, looks good, we should apply this to the LCH.

LCH looks to be big target, we should have work on making it stealth version, like this.

This is the future and we have to reach their fast.

Chinmoy

Country flag
This system is not fool proof , only good against civilian grade drones as it jams the RF links. ( Basically it is a SOFT KILL SYSTEM )

not good enough against military grade tactical drones whose RF control signals when jammed will get it to switch on its autonomous guidance mode using pre-programmed way points etc .

Best anti drone system is one which employs HPM to destroy/fry the electronic/electrical components of the drone itself. Then even autonomous guidance will not help the drone as the drone itself is destroyed. ( Basically it is a HARD KILL SYSTEM )
Actually it is more effective then just soft kill. Look at point number 6.

Tunable power for neutralizing GNSS Signals.

Once you do it, the drone is no longer capable to carry out autonomous flight. To follow its pre programmed flight path, it does need GNSS signal to know its whereabout and the other factors like altitude, speed and others. Once you kill it, it is just like a blindfolded person deep under water.

Chinmoy

Country flag
@abingdonboy
@Chinmoy
@sayareakd

View attachment 24517

Well it seems that this ship launch system is part of the upcoming indian floating test range, will host both offensive and defensive articles !!!

the damn though never occurred to me.

Together with the 2 under-construction Missile range instrumentation ships and other telemetry support ship's it will provide the sea/ocean element of testing range facilities for BMD , MIRV , long range cruise missile etc testing , user trials.......

Surprisingly nobody seems to have caught on to this info. Strange huh.
Any info on its specs? I tried to zoom in and have a look at the display on its left, but no good.

porky_kicker

Country flag
Actually it is more effective then just soft kill. Look at point number 6.

Tunable power for neutralizing GNSS Signals.

Once you do it, the drone is no longer capable to carry out autonomous flight. To follow its pre programmed flight path, it does need GNSS signal to know its whereabout and the other factors like altitude, speed and others. Once you kill it, it is just like a blindfolded person deep under water.
For the sake of discussion

Let's say i take a drone and fix a IED with impact fuze , which is to be dropped on my target.

However at 10 km away from my target my drone is targeted by a drone interception system , and all RF and GNSS signals are jammed .

However my drone autopilot switches on and continues in the general direction which it was previously following , the autopilot calculates it's position from the last known GPS input before it was shut down, and uses that data against the preloaded GPS data of the target , calculates the estimated distance and even the general direction.

Then it drops the IED

Point is the IED might land on the target , land close to the target, completely miss the target . However if the target is a building in a military base or a urban area, it will have a high probability of causing collateral damage and loss of life. ie it will cause damage and take lives wantonly.

For porkies killing civilians if they cant hit the military is something they enjoy so I hope u understand why in some cases we need hard kill systems.

This is the reason why India is buying HPM anti drone system for the protection of airports.

ie to completely eliminate the threat outside the safe zone itself and also eliminate complications with the civilian (aviation) frequencies when operating a soft kill system.

Also drdo is working on a strategic HPM system and you can be sure a version of it will come out as a hard kill anti drone system in a complimentary role to the present BEL soft kill anti drone system which I believe is one of the best in its class worldwide in terms of the sensors and technology employed.

binayak95

Country flag
Advance Medium helicopter....................................................................................................................................

AMCA, looks good, we should apply this to the LCH.

LCH looks to be big target, we should have work on making it stealth version, like this.

This is the future and we have to reach their fast.
The RAH-66 Commanche was a promising project that was cancelled by the US Army because the program became a runaway train in terms of cost. Let's get the LCH into ops first then think of going for a stealthy variant. Besides, a stealthy attack helicopter has very few applications, a stealthy troop carrying chopper, now that would be fun! (Think Abottabad)

charlie

Country flag
However at 10 km away from my target my drone is targeted by a drone interception system , and all RF and GNSS signals are jammed .

However my drone autopilot switches on and continues in the general direction which it was previously following , the autopilot calculates it's position from the last known GPS input before it was shut down, and uses that data against the preloaded GPS data of the target , calculates the estimated distance and even the general direction.
I am no expert on GPS but I work with different types of Gps antenna and different systems, all the nav software does have navigation capabilities and course correction algorithms in absence of gps signal no matter civil or military.

I had some kind of test equipment in my car and it blocked my gps signal in car, i didn't realize it and my destination was above 200kms away so the nav software error was about 40 kms away from where I was suppose to be in Garmin gps.

I don't play with drones so not sure if drone has nav software or the ground control will have that. Having gps does not mean you have nav capabilities for e.g. The radio i work with does not have nav software but has a gps i can know my location in latitude and longitude terms.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
I am no expert on GPS but I work with different types of Gps antenna and different systems, all the nav software does have navigation capabilities and course correction algorithms in absence of gps signal no matter civil or military.

I had some kind of test equipment in my car and it blocked my gps signal in car, i didn't realize it and my destination was above 200kms away so the nav software error was about 40 kms away from where I was suppose to be in Garmin gps.

I don't play with drones so not sure if drone has nav software or the ground control will have that. Having gps does not mean you have nav capabilities for e.g. The radio i work with does not have nav software but has a gps i can know my location in latitude and longitude terms.
When ever drone or missile losses the GPS signal it will use it's inertial navigation system further.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Various radars

1. Arudhra MPA radar
2. Swathi WLR
3. TWIR see through imaging radar
4. GPR ground penetrating radar

@Chinmoy
@sayareakd

Finally It's nice to see a land based ground penetrating radar (GPR) among the products and it looks portable too

View attachment 24542

Pic credit delhidefencereview.com
Dumb question how could GRP is that way, could be BFSR. Which department is that?

Chinmoy

Country flag
For the sake of discussion

Let's say i take a drone and fix a IED with impact fuze , which is to be dropped on my target.

Then it drops the IED

Point is the IED might land on the target , land close to the target, completely miss the target . However if the target is a building in a military base or a urban area, it will have a high probability of causing collateral damage and loss of life. ie it will cause damage and take lives wantonly.

For porkies killing civilians if they cant hit the military is something they enjoy so I hope u understand why in some cases we need hard kill systems.

This is the reason why India is buying HPM anti drone system for the protection of airports.

ie to completely eliminate the threat outside the safe zone itself and also eliminate complications with the civilian (aviation) frequencies when operating a soft kill system.

Also drdo is working on a strategic HPM system and you can be sure a version of it will come out as a hard kill anti drone system in a complimentary role to the present BEL soft kill anti drone system which I believe is one of the best in its class worldwide in terms of the sensors and technology employed.
:).... You are talking about CM rather then drones. When GPS is to be concerned like in case you mentioned, killing of GNSS would effectively make it blind. It could never correlate with its last GPS reading.

Effective way to tackle this is what @tharun had mentioned, let the INS kick in. But there is another problem to it in case of a drone.

Lets take the example of Harpy. Its a suicidal drone and lets consider us using it on any PAF base. If we take that PAF has some sort of Jammer to disable it, what would be our course of action? We would have a course point set into it and make INS take control of it after a certain point. That is we could say that we would control it from point A to B and from point B to C it would be guided by INS. It means in between Point B & C, it would effectively be a CM instead of a Drone. So as you said we would need a hard kill system in that case against a CM.

But now consider the fact that if something like this interception system is placed in between point A & B, then? The drone would go effectively blind before reaching point B. It would never know when to kick on its INS or even if the INS gets kicked on automatically, it would not be able to guide it.

Now this interception system is highly mobile and man portable and is been designed for such cases to intercept reconnaissance drones not CM.

porky_kicker

Country flag
Dumb question how could GRP is that way, could be BFSR. Which department is that?
It is labelled as GPR ground penetrating radar.

It's use is for

Detection of underground structures, tunnels , IEDs etc especially for mapping out enemy minefields.

Construction of 3D images for topography etc for military applications.

Non destructive testing of our own military structures like bunkers , tunnels etc.

And civilian uses are many.

A aerial mounted variant of this one should be on the cards and would prove most useful to detect tunnels , minefields etc along LOC in 2 to 3 passes by a UAV or any suitable platform.

And if the range is good enough , it will be able to locate buried enemy military structures much further from the LOC.

Next development should be foliage penetrating radar.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pandora Questions to be asked during Defexpo 2018 Defence & Strategy 11
ezsasa DEFEXPO-2022 Defence & Strategy 1248
H Defexpo 2020 Defence & Strategy 655
cobra commando Defexpo India 2016 Defence & Strategy 215