Chinese Dissident Wins Nobel Peace Prize

johnee

If maoists control a place, then how can that place be developed by Govt without first freeing it from the maoist clutches? Maoists have been ruling several swaths of lands within India. How much development has their rule given to the people of those places? Now, maoists are even using school children as their armour...These foreign aided barbarians cannot hide under any excuse.

pmaitra

Maoists are exploiting some salient weaknesses of the Indian system:
  • Administration.
  • Public welfare and rural assistance projects such as irrigation, fertilizer and farming subsidies, food distribution, infrastructure, education and health.
  • Corruption among the local political leadership.
  • Judiciary and an expensive judicial system that makes a poor person's prospects of fighting a legal battle extremely prohibitive.
  • Political rivalries between mainstream political parties, some of who might have tried to use the Maoists as their political tool.
  • Lack of equitable distribution of wealth.

I was under the impression that the trickle-down effect would have worked. Sadly, it didn't work.

Villagers in Maoist infested regions need to realise (many do) that development work is not possible in a territory that is controlled by an armed and hostile entity. However, some recent successes definitely keep us hoping for the best.

sandeepdg

Happy for him, equally happy that he is an dissident Chinese !!

S.A.T.A

Calls for greater democracy in China are just wishful thinking.Given the nature of the current Chinese state any such move will lead to china dissolving along the Han/non Han demographic fault lines.The peoples republic of china was never a voluntary exercise(they have lost precious time to contemplate one)and will come undone once the exigencies are removed.Political democratization in China will be as doomed an endeavor as it had be in Soviet Russia.Ironically they are doomed anyway if they never attempt one.CCP will let the wagon puddle along as long as it can

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Also the media must declare if the news published by it is a paid news. Media houses' business deals need to be monitored as well. The problem with Govt directly regulating the news would be curbing of free dissemination of news which have the potential to go against the govt or party in the govt.

I glance through them. Hindi channels also happen to have the same network as the english channels. I mean, a network has an english channel and a hindi channel. So, there wont be much difference. Of course, the hindi channels may air some daily devotional programmes but thats different.
mate no one is ever going to do the first part, no one will ever be that honest and not all hindi channels have a english channel to it, not sure how many are you able to access in south but in north there are these quite a few hindi channels which do not have a english channel and get broad casted.

Ritesh good governance will cut fertile recruitment grounds for Maoists..Ex Bihar With the advent of nitesh kumar Governance was given a much better priority and suddenly there is no incentive to take the gun.Infact there was more incentive to surrender it.Naxalism is a socio-economic problem directly and effect of bad governance.Chidambaram was saying it as a law and order problem is an deliberate agenda he coveted the mineral wealth there.To destroy Maoism the first step is governance
JP,

yes good governance is the lasting solution but that will take time.

take any two government departments, one doesnt know what the other is doing, leave that, a new rule is a passed by the ministry, the top bureaucrat heading the ministry knows about it for he is the person directly implementing it but the clerks in the same department have no clues about it and this goes on for days and the confusion prevails. to top it all there is huge corruption which becomes as good a reason of exploitation as any which is enough to breed hatred and to be disillusioned. then you have the NGOs who on purpose misguide people who frankly have no knowledge, so its not as if only the state is responsible there are a lot of actors in between with vested interests.

my take is good governance will take time and that can only be altered if responsible people make it to regional politics and then national something which remains the responsibility of local populace and its not something that can happen overnight, yes mr nitish kumar is a fine example but what if this good governance was to take endless time, do we have that much time on our hands, and so another way to tackle the menace is to take it up as a law and order issue, good we havent reached a stage where the army needs to be brought in and a significant 10000sq kms has been taken back from the controls of the maoists but there still remain a lot of challenges.

there can be vested interests of the GoI as well and I wont deny that (i dont agree chidambram has so much power to wield that he can overrule what his high command dictates him. dont forget these politicians say one thing in public and just another in private and so i dont believe when congress high command tries to sympathize with the tribals, its not as if they are not getting their cuts from the business happening in that region, a lot happens in the name of party funds) but still if there is a challenge presented then that needs to be taken head on.

i know of many sikhs who never took to terrorism whose family members were killed, whose heads were shaved off, whose homes were burnt down, whose ladies were raped similar was the thing in godhra/gujarat either way for hindus and muslims and seriously what can be more terrorizing than when the state just looks the other side and your whole like gets turned upside down with no motivation to live for another day? if they can show the patience so can the others.

right i am not someone who has gone though the worst of it to be judgmental about it but still i feel state and its interests need to reign supreme and if not that then we should head back to pre-british era where everyone was for themselves and in that context the notion of a state is pointless but even then there was no end to exploitation.

people who take on the state need to be taken head on but even when i say that i suggest they, the maoists, need not be crushed completely because if the state does that then there always remain that possibility that they might rise again in times to come when the guard is down and possibly much more smarter with a much bigger challenge and also more importantly they stood up against a certain type of oppression and if they get crushed completely then those very basic things which happen to be the real irritants will never get addressed and the oppression of of an inept state will continue which needs to be curtailed otherwise what would be the difference between a commie china and a democratic india?

dove

I find it strange that if a country divides into smaller, yet viable pieces - that is somehow seen as the 'undoing' of it. The purpose of a country should be to serve the well-being of its citizens. The country itself as a separate entity should not have 'interests' that harm its citizens. Now, I can imagine situations where pieces breaking off can compromise the security of all due to the reduction in military might and economic collective bargaining power etc. But sometimes its better to let go of pieces that are incompatible and emerge a leaner meaner one. Russia is probably a good example. All said, has capture of Tibet been a net profit for China or net loss ? If it let Tibet go, is it really going to reduce China's economic or military strength ?

nimo_cn

Country flag
Aren't you guys already colonized by Goons of CCP?
Then why is he complaining? What is he complaining about? Complaining about we are not colonized by him, by the westerners?

What he does and what he says clealy show he is a hypocrite. Nevertheless, you revere him, which makes you worse.

Last edited:

nimo_cn

Country flag
His famous saying: China should be colonized 300 years.
hehe, he just is a joke.
That is why he got this prize, the prize should be called Nobel Colonialism Prize.

The committee certainly gave it to the right person.

nimo_cn

Country flag
How can the mighty CCP be so alarmed by one single man who preaches non-violence ?

Reminds me of Gandhi.

Shame on China !!!!!!!!
If you compare this man to Gandhi's equivalence in China, i am have to say you are bringing disgrace to your holy Father of India.

The inspiring story of Gandhi has been preached in China, whereas this man will be crucified in the history of China.

Last edited:

badguy2000

Respected Member
That's the Nobel Prize's official website. It's as balanced as it can get. If your idea of "balanced" means a deployment of the 50 cent army, then you'll have to look at Chinese sites that comply to government regulations.

No, like I said it's the Nobel Prize's official website: The Nobel Peace Prize 2010
guy, censorship is more serious there than Chinese websites,in fact,because I always find my posts there gone or missing.:happy_2:

in fact, rediff. CNN, BBC and NYT has more censorship than most CHinese websites....because I tried posting there and found that none of my posts has passed censorship.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
TR, you are missing the point of the Nobel. The prize is to encourage and give some credibility. Both of which are direly needed by Arundirty. As you have rightly pointed out Dutt is already having a field day. She has all the right connections. So why does she need a nobel? It is A-hole Roy who needs the nobel for her noble work... :angry_1:
Arundhati roy already got the prize of encouragement and recognition after she won Booker Prize in 1997 for her only novel she wrote in her whole life , The God of Small Things.Before that no one knew who arundhati roy was even when she was assoiciated with movement against sardar sarovar project.People knew medha patkar in those days but not the arundhati roy.

Now it is for madam dutt and madam sagarika to get that recognition hence they are trying hard for it on their respective tv channels day in day out.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Obama calls for release of jailed Liu Xiaobo

US President Barack Obama has called for the release of this year's Nobel peace prize winner – jailed Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo.
Obama has praised Xiaobo as an eloquent and courageous supporter of human rights and democracy. A poet and literature professor, Xiaobo was sentenced to 11 years in prison in 2009.
He's the co-author of Charter 08, a call for political reform and human rights. He had played a leading role in the Tianan-men Square student's protest of 1989. Liu Xiaobo was awarded the Nobel, despite China warning the Nobel committee not to give him the prize saying it will harm relations with Norway.

Thorbjoern Jagland, the Norwegian Nobel Committee chairman, said Liu Xiaobo was a symbol for the fight for human rights in China and the government should expect that its policies face scrutiny.
"China has become a big power in economic terms as well as political terms, and it is normal that big powers should be under criticism," Jagland said.
Unlike some in China's highly fractured and persecuted dissident community, the 54-year-old Liu has been an ardent advocate for peaceful, gradual political change, rather than a violent confrontation with the government.

Meanwhile Beijing blasted the Chinese dissident's Nobel Peace Prize win on Friday, calling the decision to award Liu Xiaobo the honour as a "blasphemy".
Ma Zhaoxu, spokesman for China's foreign ministry, said the award is supposed to be given to those who "promote national harmony, international friendship" and work toward peace.
Liu is serving an 11-year prison term after being sentenced in 2009 for inciting subversion of state power. He is the co-author of Charter 08, a call for political reform and human rights, and was an adviser to the student protesters at Tiananmen Square in 1989.
"Liu Xiaobo is a convicted criminal sentenced to jail by Chinese justice. His acts are in complete contradiction to the purpose of the Nobel Peace Prize," Ma said.
The selection of Liu was made by the Norwegian Nobel Committee, whose president said the dissident won for his "long and nonviolent struggle for fundamental human rights in China."
However, Ma said that while China and Norway have recently had "good relations," the committee's decision would harm future dealings between China and Norway.
The Nobel Committee stood by its choice and said it had expected China to react strongly.
"We have a very strong tradition of awarding the prize to human rights activists of many different kinds," Geir Lundestad, director of the Nobel Institute, told CNN.
The institute assists the committee in selecting the prize each year.
Lundestad cited German pacifist and journalist Carl von Ossietsky in 1935, Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel in 1986, Myanmar pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi in 1991, and Iranian campaigner Shirin Ebadi in 2003 as examples of human rights activists who have won the prize.
"This is a tradition we are very proud of, and this is a tradition for which the Norwegian Nobel Committee has received much applause," Lundestad said. "We felt that if we were serious about this tradition, we did have to come to terms with the question of China in this perspective, and this is what we then did this year."
China's response came in stark contrast to glowing reaction from around the world.
"Awarding the Peace Prize to him is the international community's recognition of the increasing voices among the Chinese people in pushing China towards political, legal and constitutional reforms," said the Dalai Lama, who won the prize in 1989. "I believe in the years ahead, future generations of Chinese will be able to enjoy the fruits of the efforts that the current Chinese citizens are making towards responsible governance."

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
China condemns 'insult' of award for jailed dissident Liu Xiaobo

China responded furiously yesterday after the country's most famous dissident, the imprisoned pro-democracy campaigner Liu Xiaobo, won the Nobel Peace Prize in recognition of his long and non-violent struggle for human rights.

China described the award to Mr Liu as "an insult". Mr Liu is serving 11 years in prison for subversion, but the decision cast a spotlight on the country's human rights record, with US President Barack Obama leading calls for Mr Liu's immediate release.

Mr Obama said in a statement that the activist had "sacrificed his freedom for his beliefs" as supporters hailed the award as a victory for the human rights struggle. The Dalai Lama and other global leaders used the opportunity to call for the release of all prisoners of conscience.

Chinese state media imposed a blackout of the honour, and the country's efficient system of internet censorship, popularly known as the Great Firewall of China, blocked reports about the Nobel prize which highlighted Mr Liu's calls for peaceful political change. China said the award would harm relations with Norway and summoned Oslo's ambassador to Beijing to make a formal protest. The Norwegians dismissed the warning as petty.

"China's new status must entail increased responsibility," the Nobel committee said in awarding the prize to Mr Liu. "Through the severe punishment meted out to him, Liu has become the foremost symbol of this wide-ranging struggle for human rights in China."

Mr Liu, 54, a political essayist and democracy campaigner, was jailed last year for his role in writing a manifesto, Charter 08, with other Chinese activists that called for free speech and multi-party elections. It was one of the longest sentences handed to a political dissident since the crime of inciting subversion was established in 1997.

"To me, the Nobel Peace Prize should be given to those who advocate the harmony of nations, who seek to improve friendship between countries," said the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesman Ma Chaoxu. "But Liu Xiaobo is a criminal sentenced by the judicial administration in China because he broke the law, and his actions are the absolute opposite of what the Nobel Peace Prize is about."

The award – the first to the Chinese dissident community since China began economic, but not political, reforms more than 30 years ago – may have major repercussions in China. Mr Liu has been a marginal figure in that society but by granting the award, millions of people will be asking who he is and why he is in prison. It also means 10 years of constant reminders for the Chinese government that it has a Nobel laureate languishing in jail. The constant media attention on the Burmese dissident Aung San Suu Kyi, under house arrest in Rangoon, is something that Beijing would be keen to avoid.

The Nobel committee praised Mr Liu's pacifist approach and cited his participation in the Tiananmen Square protests in 1989. He and three other activists persuaded students to peacefully leave the square hours before the deadly crackdown on 4 June.

Chinese authorities would not allow access to Mr Liu in prison yesterday and it was not known if he had received the news. His wife, Liu Xia, was not allowed to meet reporters, with her Beijing home surrounded by police. But in a statement released through a US-based rights group, she said: "It is a true honour for him and one for which I know he would say he is not worthy."

Mrs Liu, who planned to visit him at his prison 300 miles from Beijing today to tell him the news, thanked former Czech president Vaclav Havel and two former Nobel prize winners, the Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama and South African Archbishop Desmond Tutu, for nominating him.

"I would like to take this opportunity to renew my call to the government of China to release Liu Xiaobo and other prisoners of conscience who have been imprisoned for exercising their freedom of expression," said the Dalai Lama, whose Nobel prize award in 1989 also infuriated the Chinese. China's economic boom is helping to prop up the shaky global economy, and few governments have been forthright in denouncing Beijing's lack of freedom. The award comes days before the Communist Party leadership meets to work out succession issues, with President Hu Jintao and Premier Wen Jiabao due to step down in two years. Mr Liu now joins Aung San Suu Kyi and Carl von Ossietzky, the German pacifist who won the 1935 prize while jailed by the Nazis, as the only Nobel Peace Prize laureates to be awarded the prize while in detention.

Shang Baojun, Mr Liu's lawyer, said the award was great news for the Chinese people. "We had hoped for many years that one day we would win the Nobel Prize, and today this dream became reality," he said. "I hope that his case and his winning this great prize will be an opportunity to improve freedom of speech, democracy and the legal system in China," he said.

Liu's last words before prison

In December 2009 Liu Xiaobo was sentenced to 11 years in jail. Here are extracts from the translation of a "final statement" he wrote two days before his incarceration began.

"I have no enemies, and no hatred....I firmly believe that China's political progress will never stop, and I'm full of optimistic expectations of freedom coming to China in the future, because no force can block the human desire for freedom. China will eventually become a country of the rule of law in which human rights are supreme

....I look forward to my country being a land of free expression, where all citizens' speeches are treated the same; here, different values, ideas, beliefs, political views... here compete with each other and coexist peacefully; here, majority and minority opinions will be given equal guarantees, in particular, political views different from those in power will be fully respected and protected; here, all political views will be spread in the sunlight for the people to choose; all citizens will be able to express their political views without fear, and will never be politically persecuted for voicing dissent; I hope to be the last victim of China's endless literary inquisition, and that after this no one else will ever be jailed for their speech.

... Freedom of expression is the basis of human rights, the source of humanity and the mother of truth. To block freedom of speech is to trample on human rights, to strangle humanity and to suppress the truth."

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Liu Xiaobo wins Nobel Peace Prize - Taipei Times

CONTROVERSIAL CHOICE:Despite Beijing's anger, the DPP, the KMT and President Ma Ying-jeou all issued statements congratulating the dissident on his award

Imprisoned Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo (劉曉波), a key participant in the "Charter 08" initiative, was awarded this year's Nobel Peace Prize yesterday for using non--violent means to demand fundamental human rights in his homeland, igniting a furious response from China, which accused the Norwegian Nobel Committee of violating its own principles by honoring "a criminal."
Chinese state media immediately blacked out the news and Chinese government censors blocked Nobel Prize reports from Web sites. China declared the decision would harm its relations with Norway, while the Nordic country responded that was a petty thing for a world power to do.
Hours after the announcement, President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) congratulated Liu for winning the prize and called on China to address human rights issues with a more liberal attitude.
In a written statement, Ma described Liu's winning the award as bearing "significant historical meaning" for the development of human rights in China, as well as Chinese communities around the world.
"We expect mainland China to address the issue of human rights with a whole new attitude, solve major human rights incidents with honesty and confidence, and treat dissidents with more tolerance," Ma said.
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) also congratulated Liu.
"Freedom, democracy and human rights are universal values, and Mr Liu's winning the award at this time bears significant meaning," KMT spokesman Su Jun-pin (蘇俊賓) said.
Presidential Office spokesman Lo Chih-chiang (羅智強) said Ma reiterated comments made previously on the anniversary of the Tiananmen Square Massacre that, in addition to economic development, China should seek breakthroughs in the development of human rights.
This year's peace prize followed a long tradition of honoring dissidents around the world and was the first Nobel for China's dissident community since it resurfaced after the Chinese Communist Party launched economic, but not political, reforms three decades ago.
Liu, 54, was sentenced last year to 11 years in prison for subversion. The Nobel committee said he was the first to be honored while still in prison, although other winners have been under house arrest or imprisoned before getting the prize.Chinese authorities would not allow access to Liu yesterday.
His wife, however, expressed joy at the news. Surrounded by police at their Beijing apartment, Liu Xia (劉霞) was not allowed out to meet reporters. Instead, she gave brief remarks by phone and text message, saying she was happy and that she planned to go today to deliver the news to Liu Xiaobo at the prison, 500km away.
The Chinese Foreign Ministry lashed out at the Nobel decision, saying the award should have been used instead to promote international friendship and disarmament.
"Liu Xiaobo is a criminal who has been sentenced by Chinese judicial departments for violating Chinese law," the statement said.
Honoring him "runs completely counter to the principle of the prize and is also a blasphemy to the peace prize," it said.
The Dalai Lama also issued his public congratulations to Liu Xiaobo.
"I would like to take this opportunity to renew my call to the government of China to release Liu Xiaobo and other prisoners of conscience, who have been imprisoned for exercising their freedom of expression," the spiritual leader said.
In a statement, released minutes after the announcement of the award, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said it welcomed the decision to award Liu Xiaobo, adding that it was "deeply concerned" about the state of human rights in China
"Democracy, freedom and human rights are universal values," the DPP said. "Liu [Xiaobo's movement] was a call on the Chinese government to realize human rights and start democratic reform, leading to a democratic constitution."
The party also said the government should redouble efforts to try to export democratic and human rights values to China through greater cross-strait exchanges.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Chinese official calls Nobel Prize award 'blasphemy'

(CNN) -- Beijing blasted a Chinese dissident's Nobel Peace Prize win Friday, calling the decision to award Liu Xiaobo the honor "blasphemy."
Ma Zhaoxu, a spokesman for China's foreign ministry, said the award is supposed to be given to those who "promote national harmony, international friendship" and work toward peace.
Liu is serving an 11-year prison term after being sentenced in 2009 for inciting subversion of state power. He is the co-author of Charter 08, a call for political reform and human rights, and was an adviser to the student protesters at Tiananmen Square in 1989.
"Liu Xiaobo is a convicted criminal sentenced to jail by Chinese justice. His acts are in complete contradiction to the purpose of the Nobel Peace Prize," Ma said.
The selection of Liu was made by the Norwegian Nobel Committee, whose president said the dissident won for his "long and nonviolent struggle for fundamental human rights in China."However, Ma said that while China and Norway have recently had "good relations," the committee's decision would harm future dealings between the two countries.
The Nobel Committee stood by its choice and said it had expected China to react strongly.
"We have a very strong tradition of awarding the prize to human rights activists of many different kinds," Geir Lundestad, director of the Nobel Institute, told CNN.
The institute assists the committee in selecting the prize each year.
Lundestad cited German pacifist and journalist Carl von Ossietsky in 1935, Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel in 1986, Myanmar pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi in 1991 and Iranian campaigner Shirin Ebadi in 2003 as examples of human rights activists who have won the prize.
"This is a tradition we are very proud of, and this is a tradition for which the Norwegian Nobel Committee has received much applause," Lundestad said. "We felt that if we were serious about this tradition, we did have to come to terms with the question of China in this perspective, and this is what we then did this year."
China's strongly worded response came in stark contrast to glowing reaction from around the world.
Pu Zhiqiang, a human rights lawyer who is Liu's friend, said the prize indicates that Liu will have a huge impact.
"I doubt the Nobel will help Xiaobo right this moment, but in the long run, it will leave a legacy that is sure to help bring democratic reform and freedom to China, that will far outlast Liu's life," Pu said.
"Awarding the Peace Prize to him is the international community's recognition of the increasing voices among the Chinese people in pushing China towards political, legal and constitutional reforms," said the Dalai Lama, who won the prize in 1989. "I believe in the years ahead, future generations of Chinese will be able to enjoy the fruits of the efforts that the current Chinese citizens are making towards responsible governance."

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Nobel Prize Is Seen as Rebuke to China

BEIJING — Few nations today stand as more of a challenge to the democratic model of governance than China, where an 89-year-old Communist Party has managed to quash political movements while creating a roaring, quasi-market economy and enforcing a veneer of social stability.With the United States' economy flagging and its global influence in decline, some Chinese leaders now appear confident in asserting that freedom of speech, multiparty elections and constitutional rights — what some human rights advocates call universal values — are indigenous to the West, and that is where they should stay.

The awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize to Liu Xiaobo, 54, was a sharp rejoinder to that philosophy. Of course, it was a Norwegian panel that gave him the prize, providing Chinese officials and their supporters with ample ammunition to denounce the move as another attempt by the West to impose its values on China.

But anticipating the criticism, the judges underscored the support in China for the imprisoned Mr. Liu's work and his plight, which they said proved that the Chinese were as hungry as anyone for the political freedoms enjoyed in countries like the United States, India and Indonesia.

"The campaign to establish universal human rights also in China is being waged by many Chinese, both in China itself and abroad," the Norwegian Nobel Committee said. "Through the severe punishment meted out to him, Liu has become the foremost symbol of this wide-ranging struggle for human rights in China."

The Dalai Lama, the exiled Tibetan spiritual leader who won the prize in 1989, highlighted the grass-roots Chinese push for political reform in a statement praising Mr. Liu, saying that "future generations of Chinese will be able to enjoy the fruits of the efforts that the current Chinese citizens are making towards responsible governance." Yet the Dalai Lama stands as proof that the struggle for rights in China is a hard one, and that winning the Nobel is no guarantee of achieving even minimal success.

Nevertheless, the number of signatures on Charter 08, the document that Mr. Liu co-drafted that calls for gradually increasing constitutional rights, shows that at the very least, there is an appetite in this country to openly discuss the kind of values that hard-line Communist Party leaders dismiss as a new brand of Western imperialism.

The 300 initial signatures on the document snowballed to 10,000 as it spread on the Internet, even as the government tried its best to stamp it out. Certainly many of those who signed it were intellectuals, not exactly representative of most Chinese, but China has a rich history of political reform led by its elites. Chinese lawyers, journalists, scholars, artists, policy advisers — many among them will be heartened by the Nobel Committee's decision.

"Today, many people are making efforts," said Wan Yanhai, the most prominent advocate for AIDS patients in China and one of the initial signers of Charter 08; he left China temporarily for the United States in May because of what he called police harassment. "They're hidden, but they're there," he said. "People are organizing different resistance movements, sometimes in a peaceful way, sometimes in a violent manner."

Cui Weiping, a social critic who teaches at the Beijing Film Academy, said the rights struggle was moving from a local stage to a global one. "Like everything that happens in China today, the democracy movement here exists in a global context," she said. "So this will be a lesson to China: it can't bottle up the democracy movement forever."

The Internet, the vehicle that carried Charter 08 to prominence, simmered with Chinese support for Mr. Liu early Friday night despite extensive government filtering. Liu Xiaobo was the most common topic on Sina.com's Weibo, a popular microblog forum. Microbloggers burned with enthusiasm for the prize and hurled invective at the government: "Political reform and the Nobel Prize, is this a new start? This day has finally come," wrote a user named Nan Zhimo. Another user, Hei Zechuan, said, "The first real Chinese Nobel Prize winner has emerged, but he is still in prison right now; what a bittersweet event."

Even before the announcement Friday afternoon, a group of supporters gathered outside the Beijing apartment building where Liu Xiaobo's wife, Liu Xia, lives. They showed little fear of the black-uniformed police officers surrounding them.

"I believe this award will massively open up room for political discussion in China," said one of those standing outside the building, Li Yusheng, 66, a retired journalist, Charter 08 signer and founder of a group that aims to help the poor. "And it will exert pressure on the authorities to change their old ways, so that they will not be able to jail people like Liu Xiaobo in the future. They will have to change or else be driven out of power."

But the authorities clung to their habits on Friday night, as police officers showed up at celebratory gatherings in Beijing and Shanghai to haul people off to police stations, according to Twitter feeds.

Some political experts here say that even China's more liberal-minded leaders have little appetite for pushing vigorously for greater political rights, and will continue to hold back as jockeying intensifies ahead of the 2012 leadership succession — a time when hard-line attitudes tend to dominate. A sharp taste of that came in March 2009, when Wu Bangguo, the head of the National People's Congress, a rubber-stamp Parliament, made a speech in which he dismissed any move toward Western-style democracy, mentioning it no fewer than nine times.

"We will never simply copy the system of Western countries or introduce a system of multiple parties holding office in rotation," he said, adding that "although China's state organs have different responsibilities, they all adhere to the line, principles and policies of the party."

Some Chinese liberals like Mr. Wan say they see a compatriot in Prime Minister Wen Jiabao, who as recently as August publicly extolled the virtues of political change. "Without the guarantee of political system reform, the successes of restructuring the economic system will be lost and the goal of modernization cannot be realized," Mr. Wen said, according to People's Daily.

Some liberal economists like Yang Yao and Wu Jinglian have also come out strongly in support of political restructuring, arguing that China's economy, where state-owned enterprises tied to the Communist Party continue to dominate the largest industries, can reach maturity only with the checks and balances that come with democracy.

The exact form of democracy is often left vague in these discussions. Liberals know that calling for multiparty elections — a direct challenge to the primacy of the Communist Party — is a red line. Mr. Wen, whom many Chinese praise but whose actual power is dubious, shies away from mentioning elections. Mr. Liu and the co-writers of Charter 08 were also careful to avoid calling for any immediate, drastic change to the Communist Party's hold on power.

"Our intention was not to threaten the party or the government," said Zhang Zuhua, one of the charter's main authors. "It was to put forth this framework of universal values, and build a consensus within society around it, among both those within and outside the system."

"Except the government," he said, "clearly does not affirm these universal values."

Jonathan Ansfield contributed reporting, and Li Bibo and Zhang Jing contributed research.

SHASH2K2

If you compare this man to Gandhi's equivalence in China, i am have to say you are bringing disgrace to your holy Father of India.

The inspiring story of Gandhi has been preached in China, whereas this man will be crucified in the history of China.

This is what china does to someone who has a thinking against CCP rule, CRUCIFY PEOPLE. Tell me one thing what was his mistake that he has been jailed for so long ? was he into armed rebellion or into terrorists activities? thinking about a China with more people rights is not a crime that you should be jailed for that.

Last edited:

sandeepdg

This is what china does to someone who has a thinking against CCP rule, CRUCIFY PEOPLE. Tell me one thing what was his mistake that he has been jailed for so long ? was he into armed rebellion or into terrorists activities? thinking about a China with more people rights is not a crime that you should be jailed for that.
Buddy, these people have been under an iron fist rule for so long, they just don't understand the concept of democracy and rights ! And anybody, who tries to voice his concern against this iron-fisted rule is termed a traitor by the people and the authorities and is crucified by them ! In the long term, they will realize the price of their short-sightedness.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Well, many people are gloating over this, proving the theory that anything bad to China is good to India. I have expected these reactions.

Here is some of my thougt.

I only got to know this guy after i read the news about he being awarded the Noble Peace Prize.

After reading some masterpieces of this guy, such as "Chinese should be colonized for 300 years", "Eastern culture is inferior to the western ones", i was disenchanted with this person.

Have any of you thought about why the old-school dissidents like Liu Xiaobo, are less and less influential in China than they used to be?

Intellectuals of Liu Xiaobo's kind were very popular in China, they incited the students to protest in 1989. Therefore, part of the credit of Tiananmen square incident actually goes to them. But now they have almost lost all of their credibility in China, and need to be bailed out and marketed by westerners. This whole Noble Peace Prize thing is a pure marketing strategy and a smart one. Many Chinese extremist may see this as symbol of their revival and celebrate it, i say this just indicates that their destiny is a dead end.

IMHO, the reasons why these people lost their influence fall in two parts.

First, Chinese people nowadays are not as enchanted with western system as they used to be. Back in 1980s, people like Liu Xiaobo predicted China was gonna collapse if China sticked with its then system and China needed to seek a way from the west (i remembered a video i saw where the famous student pioneer Cai Lin was weeping in a western reporter's room, saying China was gonna collapse, the video was shot during the Tiananmen square incident). Not only that, they also depicted weterners as the most lovable and kind people in the world, Many Chinese, deeply frustrated by the failure of political and economic innovations, believed in them and embraced their theory. Twenty years has been gone, this bunch of people are proved to be wrong, and westerners were proved to be having malicious intendtion agaisnt China from the very beginning. Both the character and the system of westerners are no longer worshipped by Chinese people, hence extremists like Liu Xiaobao who live on preaching the character and the system of westerners are destined to perish.

Second, people like Liu Xiaobo never come up with original ideas which suit China. They simply copy ideas from the west, and tried to sell it in China. At the begin, people would buy it out of curiosity or desperation. However, soon people realized what they bought did not grow well in China. CCP made that mistake when they copied everthing from USSR in 1950s and failed. It seems these people have failed to learned a lesson from that. And that is why i despise these people, they are just tools manipulated by westerners to spread their ideology so that west can maintain their supremacy.

SHASH2K2

Buddy, these people have been under an iron fist rule for so long, they just don't understand the concept of democracy and rights ! And anybody, who tries to voice his concern against this iron-fisted rule is termed a traitor by the people and the authorities and is crucified by them ! In the long term, they will realize the price of their short-sightedness.
I asked question to both Badguy and Nimo_cn that what has he done to deserve a Jail term for so long. None has answered the question. Looks like they are not having information about heinous crimes comitted by Liu Xiabao. :thinking:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles