China's UCWeb to pump in Rs 940 crore to ramp up Indian unit

CCTV

UCWeb to pump in Rs 940 crore to ramp up Indian unit, build mobile internet ecosystem

UCWeb to pump in Rs 940 crore to ramp up Indian unit, build mobile internet ecosystem

BEIJING: Chinese mobile internet browser company UCWeb will invest $170 million (or Rs 940 crore approx) in expanding global operations, bulk of which is being deployed in India to build a robust mobile internet ecosystem, chairman & CEO Yu Yongfu told ET on the sidelines of the recent Global Mobile Internet Conference ( GMIC) in Beijing.

BEIJING: Chinese mobile internet browser company UCWeb will invest $170 million (or Rs 940 crore approx) in expanding global operations, bulk of which is being deployed in India to build a robust mobile internet ecosystem, chairman & CEO Yu Yongfu told ET on the sidelines of the recent Global Mobile Internet Conference ( GMIC) in Beijing.

"India is our largest overseas market where investment will be maximised by ramping up headcount, creating start-up teams and working with droves of local mobile game/app developers like we have done in China," said the UCWeb global CEO.

By end-2014, UCWeb's India employee count is projected to exceed 100; 85% of these will be Indian nationals.

The investment in expanding UCWeb's India presence is part of a $500 million (Rs 2750 crore) corpus that the company plans to invest over the next three years in home and overseas markets.

As a leading global provider of mobile Internet software and services, UCWeb also plans to step up its engagement with OEMs or original equipment makers in India to enhance its mobile browser adoption levels. The company claims its OEM strategy will be a two-pronged one, involving both global OEM partners and Indian handset makers.

"Apart from extending our global partnership with the likes of Samsung and LG to their Indian operations, UCWeb's Indian unit will also work closely with homegrown handset makers by preloading its mobile browser on their latest smartphones," said the UCWeb chairman. He declined to name potential local handset manufacturer partners.

At present, UCWeb has a 27% market share of the mobile browser turf in India. It is hoping to overtake market leader Opera, which controls 30% of the country's mobile browser turf by the yearend.

UCWeb also plans to leverage its recent global pact with Trend Micro to advise smartphone users in India on which websites are safe to browse and what apps may be safely downloaded. "Trend Micro has extensive capability in filtering and assessing websites across the world. Since potentially malicious websites are also visited by Indian smartphone users, we will definitely leverage our partnership with Trend Micro in India," said Yongfu.

By virtue of its partnership, UCWeb's browser will have access to the largest database of bad or "infected" websites detected by Trend Micro.

UCWeb is however averse to confining its mobile browsing security-related partnerships to Trend Micro alone in India. "For mobile browsing related security work, there are lots of regional differences in multiple geographies, which is why we may soon identify a local internet security provider in India to complement our existing security support for mobile app downloads," said the UCWeb chairman.

(This correspondent is in Beijing on the invitation of UCWeb India)

sorcerer

Country flag
Well..Another companies products and services to avoid.

amoy

Oh UC Web is Chinese browser..So Uninstalled from my Phone Thanks for the info @CCTV

updated on Twitter also..
[tweet]333831267642638336[/tweet]
I attempted a "retaliation" but couldnt find any Indian product ro vent"¦ Finally decide not to watch《3 Idiots》 tonight!

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

nimo_cn

Country flag
I attempted a "retaliation" but couldnt find any Indian product ro vent"¦ Finally decide not to watch《3 Idiots》 tonight!

Hahaha, this is a good one!

But it is not a good decision, 3 idiots is great movie, you should watch it.

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2

sorcerer

Country flag
Oh UC Web is Chinese browser..So Uninstalled from my Phone Thanks for the info @CCTV

updated on Twitter also..
[tweet]333831267642638336[/tweet]
These days, I look at the manufacturers label while buying products. I find that we have alternatives that are made in India for most of them(seems like we didnt care much then ) ,I buy the Indian products.
We have to educate each other on the alternatives. Suddently I have become conscious of what i am buying.

India specialized as a service industry and left the burdens and pitfalls of manufacturing to PRC.(pollution etc etc). But yeah..theres so many countries out there which can be relied upon for alternatives.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag

Oh Big Economic loss to India :lol: :rofl:

I know you didn't buy this DVD from India Shops or you didn't Buy it from a Authorized DVD seller

Just downloading from Internet and saying Retaliation ...

amoy

Oh Big Economic loss to India :lol: :rofl:

I know you didn't buy this DVD from India Shops or you didn't Buy it from a Authorized DVD seller

Just downloading from Internet and saying Retaliation ...
Anyway I can't understand Inglish so no loss at all.

RedDragon

UCWeb is the default web browser of my phone.
But anyway, I think it is still not big enough, it is very likely to be swallowed by one of the B.A.T

pmaitra

Gotta admit it, that was a good one.

Cheers!

RedDragon

"3 Idiots" is not my favorate Indian movie, because the leading actress is not very beautiful. and there are not much dancing in it.

To me, a good Indian movie should have very beautiful actress and good dancing and singing. Although I don't know what they are singing, I just like it. As I keep see these movies from Cable TV, and pay the fee, I think it will benefit the Indian Movie Industrial.

I also will not stop to eat the Prata which is made by an Indian guy in our nearby shoping mall.

And I think export curry to China perhaps is a good idea, when I cook curry beef, I can only use the unchanged curry block. If you can export some good curry to China I will surely buy it.

If the product is real good, I will not quit it just because it comes from India.

RedDragon

Can Prata be mass produced as a microwave oven food? I think if anyone who can invent this machine, he will be rich.

amoy

Is curry originated from India?

It's widely used in SE Asian cuisines pssibly spread away by Indian diaspora. Even Japanese Ryori uses curry in noodle/rice. Delicious indeed.

I felt a bit out of the context when seeing always an Indian chef showcasing making of Roti Prata in a Thai restaurant.

bose

Country flag

Thanks a lot! You will not find because Indians do not steal...

BTW although it fals in different catagory all together...try BOSE Music systems for a change... Try to match if you can even by stealing from others...

mylegend

Bose system's reputation is not so high among hi-fi community. Some of best hifi system are Chinese own or Chinese made, Hifiman and the formerly Japanese Stax are both owned by Chinese. Bose can not be compare to those two system.

Thanks a lot! You will not find because Indians do not steal...

BTW although it fals in different catagory all together...try BOSE Music systems for a change... Try to match if you can even by stealing from others...

rockdog

Country flag

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles