China, Sri Lanka agree loans, defence

amoy

india is a nice sales pitch for PRC to do business. Well, Its okay. The war or any kind of aggression require more than its share of equipments to tilt the dimensions. PRC is supplier for Pak, but they are kept in check, so will SL too.
What makes u think China supplying arms to SL a tiny island is for targeting India?:sarc: SL defeated terrorism and they are --
now going hammer and tongs to assure equal development throughout the country. While the average economic growth rate of the country is around eight percent, the growth rate in the Northern Province is over 22 percent. This alone is ample testimony of the Government's priority to restore infrastructure facilities destroyed by savage terrorists.
Why shall India a giant need to keep SL in check?

Separately I even made a comparison between Taiwan and Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka shall be modelling itself on successful economies.

Also an island, Taiwan
- 36k sq km vs. SL 65.6k sq km
- 23,335k population vs. SL 20,870k

Check what TW's GDP and GDP per capita is, in comparison with SL's.

Why hasn't SL been developed in an ideal location, though larger in land, smaller in population? SL shall really come to see how Chinese provinces work their way through, especially coastal ones.
Be constructive man!

Last edited:

sorcerer

Country flag
What makes u think China supplying arms to SL a tiny island is for fighting India?:sarc: SL defeated terrorism and they are --

Separately I even made a comparison between Taiwan and Sri Lanka

Be constructive man!
What makes u think China supplying arms to SL a tiny island is for fighting India?
Because, Its good business..PRC is not doing any charity here with SL.Its arms sales.

The same reason why PRC is keeping check on its many neighbors..

Be constructive man!
Be realistic man.!!!

amoy

Be realistic man.!!!
I'm pretty realistic here. Chinese are not passing out alms. Lankans are a dignified people. A good return on investment is always anticipated, so that it becomes sustainable.

"Give someone a fish and they eat for a day.
Teach someone to fish and they eat for a lifetime."
~ Chinese Proverb

India shall contribute more to the regional co-prosperity too, as a rising power.

sorcerer

Country flag
I'm pretty realistic here. Chinese are not passing out alms. Lankans are a dignified people. A good return on investment is always anticipated, so that it becomes sustainable.

"Give someone a fish and they eat for a day.
Teach someone to fish and they eat for a lifetime."
~ Chinese Proverb

India shall contribute more to the regional co-prosperity too, as a rising power.
Well..the return on investment part has to be seen *

Anyway...
Its not just about India contributing to the regional co prosperity and peace.

There is an old saying...
"Practice what you preach"

PRC should practice what it preaches about peaceful rising and not be such a fine example for "contradictions"

Last edited:

mahesh

Country flag
Yes, to kids, anyone refuse to give him candy looks like devil.
hahah, i would prefer the other way to keep my candy in your all mouths to show who is kid and who is not, would to like to taste !?!:troll:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Prabhakaran got trained in IMA
That is a super halluciniation...

IMA ??? Come of it..... the guy could not speak two words of English... The Minpudicarry of Vadamarachi...

t_co

Sri Lanka : Sri Lanka is not a stage for India-China rivalry - envoy to India

Jun 01, Colombo: Addressing India's concerns over Sri Lanka's growing relationship with China, Sri Lanka's High Commissioner to India Prasad Kariyawasam said his country's relationship with the two Asian superpowers is not a "zero sum game".

Delivering a speech at the Foreign Correspondent's Club in India Friday, the Sri Lankan envoy said India is Sri Lanka's "relative and closest friend" and Sri Lanka's close relationship with China is not diminishing the ties with India.

"We are not in the habit of looking at our relations with India and China as a zero-sum game We consider India a relative and closest friend with whom we should have a very robust relationship," the envoy told Indian media.

Sri Lankan envoy's assertion comes as Sri Lankan President's concluded his successful visit to China where he received Chinese government's continuous and multifaceted support for Sri Lanka's development and its sovereignty in international arena.

Chinese Prime Minister Li Keqiang assured President Rajapaksa that China will explore the possibility of establishing an industrial zone in Hambantota and support Sri Lanka to develop capabilities in satellite communication, space technology and maritime industries in addition to providing defence technology and training for Sri Lankan forces.

The Sri Lankan envoy, however assured India that while ties with China are "very important and very old", the relationship was mainly concentrated on developmental opportunities and China is mainly involved in infrastructure development.

He added that Sri Lanka has made it clear that any project undertaken by any other country would not affect the strategic balance and peace and security in the region.

"We will not allow our land or sea to be used for any inimical purpose by one country against the other," the envoy assured.

Emphasizing on the special relationship the two neighbors have, High Commissioner Kariyawasam said the fate of the two countries are inter-linked.

"We are very conscious that if India is in trouble we will be in trouble too, we are next to India, so why would we make any trouble for India," he asked.
That last line is why I don't get why India fears an independent, strong Sri Lanka capable of charting her own destiny instead of relying on its largest neighbor for everything from trade to a model for ethnic relations and political governance.

Even China and Taiwan have learned to get along in recent years, in spite of the fact that the PRC and ROC militaries train constantly to beat the living crap out of the other, and the CCP and KMT killed over three million of each others' troops in a civil war. Why can't India and SL do the same, given that they have a far less bloody history between them?

The Last Stand

Country flag
That last line is why I don't get why India fears an independent, strong Sri Lanka capable of charting her own destiny instead of relying on its largest neighbor for everything from trade to a model for ethnic relations and political governance.

Even China and Taiwan have learned to get along in recent years, in spite of the fact that the PRC and ROC militaries train constantly to beat the living crap out of the other, and the CCP and KMT killed over three million of each others' troops in a civil war. Why can't India and SL do the same, given that they have a far less bloody history between them?
India doesn't FEAR an independent and strong Sri Lanka. Au Contraire, we want Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Myanmar to be strong and independent. We just don't get along because of the fishing issues. Problem is, Indian side of the ocean has little fish and fishermen unknowingly wander on to the Lankan side and SL Navy captures them. The small issue is blown like a balloon by Indian media and general public thinks Sri Lanka is a country of sadists which inflicts pain on poor fishermen just for fun. :(

Yep, I blame it on the media.

And SL and India don't have a bloody history at all.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Sri Lanka : Sri Lanka is not a stage for India-China rivalry - envoy to India

We all wish the best for Srilanka. But that covers each and every srilankan. Srilanka is professing to be a free democracy and took full advantage of the support from other nations in the name of war against terrorism abroad to fold the activities of LTTE and destroy it.

But now they are dragging their feet in giving equitable rights to tamils. you would have noticed Heinz Gunz's post. He still thinks Tamils who had separate kingdoms until colonial europeans arrived there are migrants from India.

India has a free trade agreement with srilanka and largest buyer of their exports as well.

The srilankan govt is not heeeding the advice of Indian govt in upholding 13th amendment to their constitution which was passed by their parliament and was the cornerstone of Indo-Sri lanka treaty through which it recieved all help from india to crush the LTTE . Infact india lost 2000 odd soldiers in srilanka to fight the LTTE to uphold this agreement which guarenties the single nation of srilanka.

Now turning back and still settling armed forces in tamil area with no LTTE as security measure

and instigating splinter groups to introduce an amendment to scrap the indo-srilanka treaty cornerstone 13 th amendment

is where the problem lies.

Last edited:

HeinzGud

Country flag
But now they are dragging their feet in giving equitable rights to tamils. you would have noticed Heinz Gunz's post. He still thinks Tamils who had separate kingdoms until colonial europeans arrived there are migrants from India.
Well if I'm wrong disapprove it. It was you who fled the debate. That's because Tamil never had a seperate kingdom of their own in Sri Lanka.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Well if I'm wrong disapprove it. It was you who fled the debate. That's because Tamil never had a seperate kingdom of their own in Sri Lanka.
I posted the links which had all the names of sinhala, tamil kings and the portugese general who fought them.read.

LalTopi

let them build roads in SL. the only roads I care about are the completion of the border roads along the Himalayas. However we should allay the fears of the Chinese, like their roads in SL ours too are for peaceful purposes and for reasons of trade etc ;)

TrueSpirit

That is a super halluciniation...

IMA ??? Come of it..... the guy could not speak two words of English... The Minpudicarry of Vadamarachi...
I won't correct you. If you need to find out more on this, there are few people on this forum, who would have the details. I am surprised you didn't knew it. It's common knowledge since 80's & no one denies that.

One update though: He was not the only Sri Lankan Tamil there.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles