China is already testing it's answer to global hawk?

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
China's Global Hawk counterpart breaks cover
By Greg Waldron

China appears ready to reveal another of its developmental military aircraft, with new images having emerged showing what appears to be a high-altitude, long-endurance unmanned air vehicle.

Posted on the China Defense Mashup website, the aircraft was photographed at Chengdu airfield, where the J-20 stealth fighter also emerged late last year, shortly before making its surprise flight debut from the site in January.

China Defense Mashup speculates that the newly-spotted vehicle is the Xianglong: an intended counterpart to the USA's Northrop Grumman RQ-4 Global Hawk.

satish007

It is good for Gulf of Aden patrol. threaten pirates using althorn.

P

pi314159

image link broken, deleted

Last edited by a moderator:

JBH22

INDIA struggling with the Rustom hmm

Adux

Country flag
The true strength of a UAV or UCAV is not the machine itself, but rather the network. Chinese are no way close to the American C4I, against an enemy like India or US, those will be jammed and turn to mere target drones.

JBH22

The true strength of a UAV or UCAV is not the machine itself, but rather the network. Chinese are no way close to the American C4I, against an enemy like India or US, those will be jammed and turn to mere target drones.
Are we that good in C4I?

Adux

Country flag
We have some world class systems being put in place, AFNET for example, the consultants are one of the best in the world, Israel and US. IAF expects to get total C4I by 2020. Our access to technology and inhouse development of this category of tech is top notch to say the least.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The only worrying thing about China is that it isn't saying much or anything about the weapons and the systems it's been developing until they're almost done. Who knows what other military toys China is hiding within its military research facilities? Perhaps a lot are copies but still they're becoming more significant.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
China's opaqueness is unnerving and I think judging from regional reaction, destabilizing...

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
China is working Lot, They have a operational prototype of UACV based on similar UAV concept..

This are good cannon fodder for IA & IAF SAM network, What seems it can be useful in distraction and CAS..

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Actually I think the Xianglong is purely for surveillance in the same utility as Raytheon's Global Hawk. It will be sent on peacetime missions and mostly on international airspace so it is legally and politically beyond the reach of SAMs (I think there is not much debate on the vulnerability of the aircraft to air defense missiles as it is not designed for air defense penetration). This might turn out to be a useful surveillance platform for China.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Of course granting China can develop and integrate radar and ground Electro-Optical/Infrared systems...

P

pi314159

Its visible in India, they ban it in your country?
No, the pic is not banned in China, quite opposite it is everywhere in Chinese forums. Actually I saw a better/closer one and tried to share it with you, unfortunately the link seemed not work for some reason. We do need a good picture because:

The plane has a unique wing structure, so-called joined-wings, that is aft and forward wings are joined, you can barely see it in the pic posted by asianobserver that the aft wings are unusually long. The joined-wings can reduce structure weight and have better lift, which translates into longer range and endurance. Rumor says the plane is about 7t weight, 7000km range and 18km ceiling (hard for cannon to reach, Kunal:)). Rumor further goes the plane was designed by junior designers in CAC as exercise.

Last edited by a moderator:

agentperry

they started early they are arriving early. they have good money transfer system in place so as research never stops. as per my contacts such research is only going on with indian navy and nowhere else coz till now navy only has thought of global influence and not ideologically backward IAF and IA.

Phenom

Seems like the Chinese are moving away from just copying, they are entering the phase where they start innovating themselves. It's going to be interesting decades ahead.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Seems like the Chinese are moving away from just copying, they are entering the phase where they start innovating themselves. It's going to be interesting decades ahead.
True. The design of this latest UAV is unlike anything the US has fielded or under testing. It's a revolutionary wing design and favorably shows the technical skills of the Chinese. If you ask me, it only adds to the uncertainty that the Chinese is fostering accross the region. What else coulde they be hiding under their vast but tightly controlled territory? Are their game changing toys that could seriously upset the current balamnce of power? That in turn might give the Chinese generals that little bit of extra confidence just enough to hudge them to attack Taiwan...

aramsogo

^^^^
Taiwan seems like a done deal to me. Just look at NATO and Libya and how ineffective they are. A quick 2,000 point drop in the DOW will convince the powers that be in the US to stay out of an unnecessary war with China over an insignificant island. And I say this as a US/Taiwan dual citizen.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles