China concerned over India's naval prowess, says expert

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
China concerned over India's naval prowess, says expert | idrw.org

Lora Saalman, a Beijing-based associate in the Nuclear Policy Programme at the Carnegie Endowment.

China, concerned over India's policy on Indian Ocean, wants to establish posts in countries like Sri Lanka and Seychelles, said Dr. Lora Saalman, an American expert on arms control.

Dr. Saalman is an associate at the Nuclear Policy Program of the Carnegie Endowment and is based at the Carnegie-Tsinghua Center for Global Policy, Beijing. Her research focuses on Chinese arms control policies, and Sino-Indian and Sino-Russian strategic relations.

In an interaction with media persons here on Monday, she said some of the experts in China felt India was either on par with China or even surpassed it on naval power. Referring to strengthening of Indian Navy in recent years, she said the Chinese felt India might use its policy to control the Indian Ocean. "It is the first and foremost on their mind."

Observing that the posts could be used as refuelling points by the Chinese, Dr. Saalman however added that not all engagement was negative as military could also be used to shore up economic interests in the region.

Dr. Saalman said China was also increasingly focusing on India and looking at where India was heading in the wake of the latter's defence modernisation programme.

The Chinese viewed the India-U.S. partnership as a strategy to counter China in the region, she said, adding India could become part of the United States alliance consisting Japan and Taiwan. China was also looking with interest at the shift in export controls and the easing of restrictions on technology imports by India and was interested in engaging the U.S. in technology trade as they do not have anything comparable to India, Dr. Saalman said.

sorcerer

Country flag
China concerned over India's naval prowess, says expert | idrw.org

Lora Saalman, a Beijing-based associate in the Nuclear Policy Programme at the Carnegie Endowment.

China, concerned over India's policy on Indian Ocean, wants to establish posts in countries like Sri Lanka and Seychelles, said Dr. Lora Saalman, an American expert on arms control.

Dr. Saalman is an associate at the Nuclear Policy Program of the Carnegie Endowment and is based at the Carnegie-Tsinghua Center for Global Policy, Beijing. Her research focuses on Chinese arms control policies, and Sino-Indian and Sino-Russian strategic relations.

In an interaction with media persons here on Monday, she said some of the experts in China felt India was either on par with China or even surpassed it on naval power. Referring to strengthening of Indian Navy in recent years, she said the Chinese felt India might use its policy to control the Indian Ocean. "It is the first and foremost on their mind."

Observing that the posts could be used as refuelling points by the Chinese, Dr. Saalman however added that not all engagement was negative as military could also be used to shore up economic interests in the region.

Dr. Saalman said China was also increasingly focusing on India and looking at where India was heading in the wake of the latter's defence modernisation programme.

The Chinese viewed the India-U.S. partnership as a strategy to counter China in the region, she said, adding India could become part of the United States alliance consisting Japan and Taiwan. China was also looking with interest at the shift in export controls and the easing of restrictions on technology imports by India and was interested in engaging the U.S. in technology trade as they do not have anything comparable to India, Dr. Saalman said.
Yeah, if only the Chinese were good with their posturing, neighboring countries wont feel suffocated and hence form policies that can keep the biggies out of our oceans.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Bloody Chinese , first they come 15 kms inside Indian territory and occupy it and then say that India should stop upgrading the infrastructure on the Indian side. What are they so frustrated about India upgrading the infrastructure on the Indian side? Think they are too much afraid of India. The whole world saw how they suffered from Vietnamese Army...

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
China would be "concerned" even if we buy/manufacture a single bullet. :dude:

Guys... Chinese arrogance is increasing day by day and it wants every country to do what it wants.

nimo_cn

Country flag
China's concern is mostly warranted, since India has the ability to cut off the sea route, and more importantly, India never hide the intention to do so.

It makes sense that China is working with other countries in that region to deter any adventurism from India.

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
China's concern is mostly warranted, since India has the ability to cut off the sea route, and more importantly, India never hide the intention to do so.

It makes sense that China is working with other countries in that region to deter any adventurism from India.

When did India indulge into adventurism in its entire history ?

Whereas "China thy name is adventurism and military defeats"..

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

You amuse me. :D

Das ka das

Tihar Jail
Banned
I am delightful that you are amused, you guys are totally pissed off at the other thread.

Why wouldn't we be? What would you do if Indians were 20 km inside China?

SilentKiller

Country flag
I am delightful that you are amused, you guys are totally pissed off at the other thread.

well we don't get pissed off, but we have freedom here to question what ever and who ever.
Anyhow, did u noticed that other than pakistan or north korea, can u name 1 ally of china in south and south east asia?

i am always ready for good and fruitful discussion.

sorcerer

Country flag
India backs Japan on maritime security to fend off China - Times Of India
NEW DELHI: With both India and Japan facing an assertive China, New Delhi this week came out clearly on Tokyo's side on the high seas. During his visit to Tokyo this week, foreign minister Salman Khurshid said India would help Japan to ensure freedom of navigation on the seas, a key assurance before the visit of PM Manmohan Singh to Japan in May.

"There can be little doubt that countries like India and Japan must cooperate in ensuring the security of the global commons including freedom of navigation on the high seas that is critical to both our countries which import large amounts of oil and gas."Let me say clearly today that India stands with Japan, and other like-minded countries, in pursuing and implementing these goals and objectives," Khurshid said during a speech at the Rikkyo University in Tokyo earlier this week.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles