Cheers! People who drink alcohol outlive those who abstain, study show

kseeker

Retired
LONDON: A contentious new study is suggesting people who drink regularly live longer than those who completely abstain from drinking.

Research published in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research found those who did not consume any alcohol appeared to have a higher mortality rate, regardless of whether they were former heavy drinkers or not, than those who drank heavily.

Instead, "moderate" drinking, defined as one to three drinks per day, was associated with the lowest mortality rate.

A team led by Charles Holahan, a psychologist at the University of Texas followed 1,824 participants over two decades. They conceded the gender ratio of participants was disproportionate as sixty-three per cent of participants were male. All of the individuals were aged between 55 and 65.

Sixty-nine per cent of the participants who abstained from drinking alcohol died during the 20 year observation period, in comparison to 60 per cent of the heavy drinkers. Only 41 per cent of moderate drinkers died within this time frame.

These results came even after the team controlled variables such as socio-demographic factors, health and social-behavioural factors.

The authors noted: "A model controlling for former problem drinking status, existing health problems, and key socio-demographic and social-behavioral factors, as well as for age and gender, substantially reduced the mortality effect for abstainers compared to moderate drinkers.

"However, even after adjusting for all covariates, abstainers and heavy drinkers continued to show increased mortality risks of 51 per cent and 45 per cent, respectively, compared to moderate drinkers".

They concluded: "Even after taking account of traditional and non-traditional covariates, moderate alcohol consumption continued to show a beneficial effect in predicting mortality risk".

Ref: Cheers! People who drink alcohol outlive those who abstain, study shows - The Times of India

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cheers :drunk: :thumb:

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned
Re: Cheers! People who drink alcohol outlive those who abstain, study

LONDON: A contentious new study is suggesting people who drink regularly live longer than those who completely abstain from drinking.

Research published in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research found those who did not consume any alcohol appeared to have a higher mortality rate, regardless of whether they were former heavy drinkers or not, than those who drank heavily.

Instead, "moderate" drinking, defined as one to three drinks per day, was associated with the lowest mortality rate.

A team led by Charles Holahan, a psychologist at the University of Texas followed 1,824 participants over two decades. They conceded the gender ratio of participants was disproportionate as sixty-three per cent of participants were male. All of the individuals were aged between 55 and 65.

Sixty-nine per cent of the participants who abstained from drinking alcohol died during the 20 year observation period, in comparison to 60 per cent of the heavy drinkers. Only 41 per cent of moderate drinkers died within this time frame.

These results came even after the team controlled variables such as socio-demographic factors, health and social-behavioural factors.

The authors noted: "A model controlling for former problem drinking status, existing health problems, and key socio-demographic and social-behavioral factors, as well as for age and gender, substantially reduced the mortality effect for abstainers compared to moderate drinkers.

"However, even after adjusting for all covariates, abstainers and heavy drinkers continued to show increased mortality risks of 51 per cent and 45 per cent, respectively, compared to moderate drinkers".

They concluded: "Even after taking account of traditional and non-traditional covariates, moderate alcohol consumption continued to show a beneficial effect in predicting mortality risk".

Ref: Cheers! People who drink alcohol outlive those who abstain, study shows - The Times of India

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cheers :drunk: :thumb:
Diageo must have funded this research :)

However, red wine is indeed good for health, if consumed in moderate quantities regularly. The French are proof of it. Just look at the calories & the amount of animal flesh (next only on East Asians/Chinese) they consume, still manage to outlive most other nationalities. Right @Armand2REP ?

Last edited by a moderator:

kseeker

Retired

However, red wine is indeed good for health, if consumed in moderate quantities regularly. The French are proof of it. Just look at the calories & the amount of animal flesh (next only on East Asians/Chinese) they consume, still manage to outlive most other nationalities. Right @Armand2REP ?
Wine ? it's a ladies drink :sarc:

I prefer hot drinks, especially Vodka :drunk2: :D

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned

Wine ? it's a ladies drink :sarc:

I prefer hot drinks, especially Vodka :drunk2: :D
Champagne for the lady.

Vodka for the hotties.

Whisky/Scotch for men.

This is what I have heard. But, I must admit, zero personal experience.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

LOL @ these "according to latest study/research"

Everyday they present conflicting studies.... its not their fault since they need to justify their "job" and "effort" they are into. :rofl:

A drunkyard would always find a excuse to drink... either its a moment of happiness or sadness or just nothing at all. :lol:

kseeker

Retired

Champagne for the lady.

Vodka for the hotties.

Whisky/Scotch for men.
I have heard similar things except for vodka.
@W.G.Ewald, any ideas ?

This is what I have heard. But, I must admit, zero personal experience.
Man... you should try ;) you will live longer ! Study has proved that, right ? Just kidding :D

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned

@W.G.Ewald, any ideas ?

Man... you should try ;) you will live longer ! Study has proved that, right ? Just kidding :D
One more......Rum for the Captain (Navy)

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag

From what I read in my text book,whatever good that comes to the heart with moderate consumption of alcohol gets negated by its ill effects on liver!

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag

It's an ancient secret that elixirs / potions were nothing but Alcohol!

I've always seen drunkards live longer than women (usually men die early)!

So, all my Kuffar brothers Drink and get drenched in Alcohol! :)

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

@W.G.Ewald, any ideas ?
I have a lady friend who likes a Gray Goose martini before dinner.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles