Census 2011

plugwater

Indian population increased by 181 million

New Delhi: India now has a population of 1.21 billion according to the latest Census figures released by the Home Secretary and the Registrar General of India on Thursday. This is an increase of 181 million people since the last Census - nearly equivalent to the population of Brazil.

India's population is now bigger than the combined population of USA, Indonesia, Brazil, Pakistan and Bangladesh, says the Census report. Uttar Pradesh is the most populous state and the combined population of UP and Maharashtra is bigger than USA.

Of the total population, 623.7 million are males and 586.5 million are females.

However, the population grew at a rate of 17.64 percent which is the sharpest reduction in growth rate ever.

While Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Puducherry has the highest population growth rate of about 55 percent, Nagaland has the lowest.

The density of population is highest in Delhi, followed by Chandigarh.

The 2011 Census report also shows that India now has a child sex ratio of 914 female against 1,000 male - the lowest since Independence.

This is the 15th Census conducted since 1872. It was carried out in two phases, covering 640 districts and 5924 sub-districts.

The cost of the counting exercise is 22,000 million.

(With PTI inputs)

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/census-2011-indian-population-increased-by-181-million-95387

plugwater

The population has increased by more than 181 million during the decade 2001-2011, the report said. The growth rate in 2011 is 17.64 per cent in comparison to 21.15 per cent in 2001.

The 2001-2011 period is the first decade — with exception of 1911-1921 — which has actually added lesser population compared to the previous decade, Registrar General of India and Census Commissioner of India C. Chandramauli said in the presence of Home Secretary G. K. Pillai.

Among the states and Union territories, Uttar Pradesh is the most populous state with 199 million people and Lakshadweep the least populated at 64,429.
The combined population of Uttar Pradesh and Maharashtra is bigger than that of the U.S.

The highest population density is in Delhi's northeast district (37,346 per sq km) while the lowest is in Dibang Valley in Arunachal Pradesh (just one per sq km).
Child sex ratio in 2011 is 914 female against 1,000 male — the lowest since Independence.

According to the data, literates constitute 74 per cent of the total population aged seven and above and illiterates form 26 per cent. The literacy rate has gone up from 64.83 per cent in 2001 to 74.04 per cent in 2011 showing an increase of 9.21 per cent.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/article1587153.ece

AOE

Looks like India will overtake China in population, which makes this all the more interesting. ;)

SHASH2K2

Those bachelors who are not married and donot have a GF should start looking for one. With gender imbalance it will be very difficult for them to get a decent GF. I am planning to start a dating assistance consultancy . :D

Param

Those bachelors who are not married and donot have a GF should start looking for one. With gender imbalance it will be very difficult for them to get a decent GF. I am planning to start a dating assistance consultancy . :D
There is no need for a GF.This is India, arranged marriages are the norm.

plugwater

Growths of males and females are 17.19 and 18.12.

So nothing to worry about, they will soon overtake us :)

plugwater

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Religious Composition​
Population *​
(%)​
Hindus​
827,578,868​
80.5​
Muslims​
138,188,240​
13.4​
Christians​
24,080,016​
2.3​
Sikhs​
19,215,730​
1.9​
Buddhists​
7,955,207​
0.8​
Jains​
4,225,053​
0.4​
Other Religions & Persuasions​
6,639,626​
0.6​
Religion not stated​
727,588​
0.1​
Total *​
1,028,610,328​
100.0​
This religious data is outdated. Besides the website says this is the provisional results of the census so all analysis of religion etc will be done later, I think.

plugwater

This religious data is outdated. Besides the website says this is the provisional results of the census so all analysis of religion etc will be done later, I think.
Yes Jake. Sorry, It was a mistake. I changed it but before that you quoted it.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Yes Jake. Sorry, It was a mistake. I changed it but before that you quoted it.
Yeah i see that. I shoudn't have made that post.
Anyway I was thinking what is the need for religious composition data. What does the GOI do with it. How is it useful to the common man?

Blackwater

if india can give education and jobs to its people then population is not that worry.yes we need to control. good thing is there is increase in literacy from 68% to 74%. Low girls ratio is matter of concern

Oracle

There is no need for a GF.This is India, arranged marriages are the norm.
Which India do you live in mate? The more the GFs, the merrier it is.:D
Btw, I read somewhere that girls population will plummet by 20% in the next decade or so. So you guys in your 20s - get a GF & stick to her. Even if that means doing the laundry, going shopping et. al.:D

Last edited:

Phenom

Its good to see the population growth rate slowing down, but the sex ratio in India is horrible, it's the lowest since Independence. :tsk:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Very Scary!!!!!! So what the population of poor and how much has each community grown? Hindu, Muslim, Christian, Sikh?

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Religion wise? Is it that important? OR have you gone nuts?
Every country is majority based, if the majority collapses then the country loses its identity and it collapses! Nationality is nothing more than over grown tribalism and if the dominant tribe goes then the grouping has no meaning!

I cant believe the population is still in 1947 ratio!! I am sure there are more Christian converts now.

Oracle

Every country is majority based, if the majority collapses then the country loses its identity and it collapses! Nationality is nothing more than over grown tribalism and if the dominant tribe goes then the grouping has no meaning!

I cant believe the population is still in 1947 ratio!! I am sure there are more Christian converts now.
What do you mean? Stop using language and religion as a tool for your logic. You are GKafir, remember.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Yes! If anything you should be interested on percentage of atheists in India.

Rage

DFI TEAM
The gender bias is deepening and disturbing.

The one good thing to come out of this, though is the new literacy rate at 74.04%. Which is pretty fantastic, in that India measures this number as the number of literates aged 7 and above. While most Western countries measure illiteracy, via standardized literacy tests at age 15. The literacy rate for the general youth or adolescent population is obviously much higher, given that they don't factor in children starting school late; that those that drop out of school after a time are still somewhat 'barely literate' and the number of adolescents being educated by NGO's is sizable in this country. I'm also made aware that the GoI does not count those educated in madarassas or those studying in makatib or Darut Tahfiz's under the literacy count. Which is telling, because Indian madrassas are very different from their middle eastern or Pakistani counterparts, with a greater focus on secular education and technology. I am told however that there are plans to include these under the Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan and the Universalization of Elementary Education (UEE) programme.

The sex-ratio is something that must be remedied soon. As should programs now be intensified for a curtailment of reproductive rates, particularly in the northern regions of U.P and Bihar.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles