Bangalore Police arrest journalist, 10 others for suspected terror links

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Things are getting to be worrisome, if the papers are anything to go by.

And educated people are being enticed as recruits.

ani82v

Country flag
‘Fanatics are targetting nationalists like me’ | Niti Central

The Bangalore Crime Branch (BCB) on August 30 arrested 11 members allegedly affiliated to Harkat-ul-Jihad-al-Islami and Lashkar-e-Tayyeba. This pre-emptive strike by the police has averted a major terror strike, which these men are accused of having plotted. Part of this plot reportedly included assassinating prominent businessmen, politicians, and two journalists working in the Kannada language media. One of these is the renowned Kannada journalist and Kannada Prabha columnist Pratap Simha.

Sandeep B brings you an exclusive interview with Pratap Simha who shares his experiences of being the target of the alleged terror plot against him.

Sandeep B: Thanks Pratap for agreeing to do this interview. First, the obvious question: How do you feel, being a target of a failed terror attack?

Pratap Simha : I'm really not anxious but you can say I'm disturbed because I have a 7-month old child and a disabled wife"¦ not that I'm scared"¦ I'll get to that later. It was different when I was a bachelor. You see, people behind such attacks won't achieve anything by killing one or two writers. If they do, hundreds of other writers will crop up. These people need to change their mindset.

SB: Did you suspect something like this or did the police alert you? When did you come to know of this threat first?

PS: Let me give you some background. In 2007, I wrote a column titled ävarige sigabahudu kanyearu 70 namage maatra aapattu (They might get 70 virgins but we only get danger). This piece created a huge storm. My point is, this is not the first time I've faced threats. I continue to receive hundreds of hate mails and protests. Even my last Saturday's column elicited a hate message which I deleted. I have never cared for these things. Another example: in 2003, I wrote an article condemning protests by Jaffer Sharief and Deve Gowda who took out a huge procession in Bangalore condemning the US attack on Saddam. I faced a lot of heat for this piece too. See, I don't like living in fear.

Anyway, to answer your question, I was alerted yesterday morning by my editor about this threat to my life. So far, all these attacks and threats were at a very small level. But I must admit, I hadn't imagined they would escalate to terrorist-levels.

SB: The media reports that 11 people were arrested, almost all of whom were from Karnataka. What do you think of this development given that Karnataka has largely been a peaceful state since independence?

PS: What we are now seeing is a worrying brand of entirely home-grown terrorism operating on remote control from Saudi, Middle East. Of those who were arrested, one was a local "boss" hailing from UP. Another north Indian was operating from Saudi, giving plans and instructions.

By and large, Islamic radicalism of the Wahhabi brand is rapidly increasing in the state. In coastal Karnataka, the kind of radicalism we're seeing now was completely absent even 15 years ago. In South Canara one was used to seeing these grand churches but now we can see imposing mosques with huge and high walls, almost like fortresses. Local Muslims back then used to mix freely with people of other faiths but now there is a marked distance.

Anyway, the spread of Wahhabism is worrying because it preaches that a Muslim's primary allegiance is to Islam and not to the nation. These preachers target impressionable teenagers and youths whose minds are not yet mature, who are hot-blooded and receptive to brainwashing. All those arrested today are aged between 20-30. These youths are so indoctrinated that they have no thought about things like their own future, the implications of their acts on their families. They care nothing about even basic things like hurting others' feelings. It's a very disturbing trend. This phenomenon is not restricted to India but elsewhere in the world where Islamic radicalism is on the rise. Also, this mindset is dangerous in any community. This development does not bode well for Karnataka.

SB: Media has reported that these terrorists targeted you and Vishweshwar Bhat specifically because they were found to possess photos of you and Mr. Bhat with Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi. Your views?

PS: The police raid revealed that these guys had downloaded all my pieces that took a pro-nationalistic stand as well as those that were critical of Islamic terrorism. They had also downloaded photos of Mr. Modi with me and Mr. Bhat.

Now, Muslims are obviously angry with Modi for right or wrong reasons. Hindus equally have reasons to admire Modi. For the record, I admire Modi because he has provided credible leadership, effective governance and delivered on all his development promises in Gujarat. I've written a book on him. The secular media and Muslim outfits which have attacked Modi for 10 years — why should they be angry with Modi's supporters and try to silence their voices?

See, I've never supported the killing of Muslims or Hindus or any other community. These people targeted me because they thought I am close to Modi. When I wrote that book, allegations were made that I had taken Rs. 2 Crore from Modi to write it!

SB: In some circles, you're known as a firebrand "Hindutva" journalist who hates Muslims. Is that why you were targeted now?

PS: Yes. Because in the last 13-14 years in my journalism career, I have seen nobody supporting Hindu and nationalist causes as candidly as I have. That's why I have been branded anti-Muslim whereas I am not against any religion. My inspiration is Swami Vivekananda. Remember his quote about taking all the mud from the bottom of the ocean? He too wasn't against either Christianity or Islam. He just pointed out the damage they had caused. I'm doing the same. I have never ever condemned the practices, traditions and customs of Muslims. I have also condemned Hindu misdeeds, and have even criticised Swamis. I have deep respect for Hindu traditions. How does that make me anti-Muslim?

SB: How has your family taken this?

PS: They're disturbed but they don't show it. I don't want to reveal personal details but my wife lost her leg in an accident some time ago but she fought back. If something happens to me tomorrow, I know she'll be strong and survive my absence. This gives me enormous strength.

SB: Will you continue writing in the same vein or will you tone down and/or change your stance?

PS: In 2007, about 30 people had come to my office to attack me when I wrote that 72 virgins article. If I had to change my writing, I would have done so back then. No question of changing now or in the future because it means abandoning my convictions. There is no life for me if I give up my convictions.

SB: Among those arrested today were a DRDO employee and a journalist with an English daily. These are people in responsible positions. One of them is a person working in a sensitive organisation like the DRDO. Your take?

PS: You're right, it is worrisome. But it's nothing new. Lots of brainwashed fundamentalists hold white collar jobs. There's that Yahoo techie, affiliated to Indian Mujahideen who sent out threatening emails, a Bangladeshi (?) woman who was caught smuggling sensitive information from ISRO in the 90s, an intern who was caught smuggling secret information from HAL, etc. Indians looked at Muslims with suspicion post-partition because their demands led to the creation of Pakistan. Now, when these incidents keep happening repeatedly, such suspicion is reinforced.

See, it is okay if ordinary people don't give much weight to things like nationalism, etc. But people working in places like DRDO, army, etc. If they are brainwashed against the nation, it is a cause for anxiety.

SB: How do you rate the effectiveness of our police and intelligence?

PS: This threat to me and Mr. Bhat was first detected by the Hyderabad police who tipped off Bangalore police. The BCB have done commendable work. They are efficient despite severe constraints. But they would do even better if their political masters allowed them.

SB: Anything else you'd like to share with us?

PS: I must express my heartfelt gratitude to the government which responded instantly by giving me 24/7 security.

All I want to say is that people who are born and brought up in this nation, which has given them food, clothing, and shelter and citizen rights and jobs. To these people, I appeal: please do not bomb this nation from within. It will serve no purpose.

KS

Bye bye DFI
PS: Let me give you some background. In 2007, I wrote a column titled ävarige sigabahudu kanyearu 70 namage maatra aapattu (They might get 70 virgins but we only get danger). This piece created a huge storm..

Even I will get pissed off if a right wing extremist randomly reduces two hoors from my account. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

parijataka

Country flag
'Fanatics are targetting nationalists like me' | Niti Central

All I want to say is that people who are born and brought up in this nation, which has given them food, clothing, and shelter and citizen rights and jobs. To these people, I appeal: please do not bomb this nation from within. It will serve no purpose.
What he says is spot on about what is happening in Karnataka. Unfortunate but true, Middle East money is radicalising coastal Karnataka Muslim youth. Seems they want to turn India into another Pakistan or Bangladesh.

Check out this site from Mangalore and see the comments. Usually anti-Hindu by Muslims and Christians alike.

Tolaha

What he says is spot on about what is happening in Karnataka. Unfortunate but true, Middle East money is radicalising coastal Karnataka Muslim youth. Seems they want to turn India into another Pakistan or Bangladesh.

Check out this site from Mangalore and see the comments. Usually anti-Hindu by Muslims and Christians alike.
I do agree with you about the raise in radicalization in coastal Karnataka. I think it started from the late eighties or early nineties. Just like Kerala, we too have a significant share of our youth working in Gulf countries.

As for the link that you have given, I followed the link to 'DaijiWorld', clicked on one of the article on the landing page that looked interesting and read the comments.

Dr Veerendra Heggade to be State's New Traffic Ambassador

Its about a honour to the "Dharma Adhikari" of the Sree Dharmasthala Manjunatheshwara temple. The comments are by local Hindus, Muslims, Christians etc residing all over the world. And mostly, the comments have been highly respectful, almost on the lines of adulation!

At times, we tend to see only what we want to see! ;-)

parijataka

Country flag
/\/\(for Tolaha)
Usually it is ok but there are times when minorities gang up on Hindus. I guess I see what I see and feel the way I do because I am a Hindu. Perhaps minorities should occassionally appreciate Hindus for their love and affection towards all. Veerendra Heggade, a much loved figure by all in S Kanara/Mangalore, is a Jain and head of a Hindu temple as you might know.

(Btw my in-laws native place very near Surala and they know about the `mud palace`... :) ).

Last edited:

Tolaha

Karnataka on road to getting communally polarised
Well, it may not be right to paint the whole state that way. Having said that, there are certain parts of the state that have gone down that road more than 2 decades back. If anything, its needs stitching of the bonds back together!

KS

Bye bye DFI
I think Tamil Nadu is still the only SI state that is not communally polarized or even on the road to it.

Thanks to corrupt grandfather, fat lady and their Dravidian politics,

Iamanidiot

I think Tamil Nadu is still the only SI state that is not communally polarized or even on the road to it.

Actually KS strong winds of sanskritisation are blowing in TN.

panduranghari

Re: Bangalore arrests - How a new assasination module was developing

As usual the media has not reported this well. We suck. The media sucks. The country sucks.

Vicky Nanjapa

A scribe, research scientist and the deadly plot
Posted on August 31, 2012
The probe being conducted by the Bangalore police in coordination with the special cell of the Delhi police has revealed that the team of ten persons from the HuJI and the Lashkar-e-Tayiba had split into two groups to carry out a series of operations in Karnataka.

The journalist, Muthiur Rehman, Ejaz Mirza, a research scientist at DRDO and three others were assigned with the task of killing a few journalists in Bangalore. The other five who were arrested from Hubli were tasked with the job of killing politicians in Karnataka.
At Bangalore, the police have seized a 9 MM pistol and a hard disk. The hard disk is said to contain some important material and belongs to the journalist. However the police are still examining the hard disk.
Sources say that the entire operation was being looked into by handlers in Saudi Arabia and these persons were in constant touch with them regarding the operation. Although their operation looks very Karnataka specific at the moment, the police want to find out if this group had connections outside the state as well. The Delhi police is likely to seek a transit remand of these persons and take them to Delhi for questioning.
Although the police have said that they have been arrested in connection with these assasination plots, they are also looking tom find out if this group had planned more subversive activities in other parts of the state of Karnataka and also the country.
The police say that they were targeting personalities including journalists who they perceived to be anti Islam. Material was regularly being collected against these persons, their speeches and articles were being monitored and only after this a hit list had been drawn out.
The police will also look for clues with regard to the recent panic SMS campaign after the Assam riots. A police official said that this group has been in Karnataka for a long time and hence we would like to get more details of their activities.
However what has made the police sit up and take up notice is the profile of some of the persons arrested. A journalist and a research scientist indicate that they wanted educated persons in the plot as they wanted to ensure that the operation was fool proof and deadly.

blore-module-was-anwar-awlaki-inspired/

The newly busted module which was allegedly planning a spate of assassinations in various parts of the country was inspired by Anwar Awlaki, the deceased leader of the Al-Qaeda. Investigations revealed that the group was self motivated and had no direct links with any other group. It had planned a spate of operations on their own.
According to investigators, the new plan was to kill high profile personalities and cause communal tension in the country. The adopted assassinations instead of planting bombs, Bangalore city police commissioner, Jyoti Prakash Mirji informed the media.
While in Bangalore they were planning on killing journalists and a BJP leader, Prahlad Joshi, in Hyderabad they had planned on killing two corporators, the police revealed. Further they were also targeting a prominent Hindu leader in Andhra Pradesh. However the police are still ascertaining their targets in Maharashtra from where four persons were arrested.
Mirji however rubbished reports of this module trying to carrying out attacks on major installations. Their operation was about assassinations. While they sought to take revenge on persons were anti Islam on the other hand they sought to trigger communal riots.
Currently we are focusing on collecting information on the handlers of the arrested,who are believed to be in Saudi Arabia, collate information whether the group has reach across the country and we are also focusing on busting their other modules.
From those arrested in Karnataka, the police have recovered an Italian make 7.65 mm pistol with seven cartridges, a dagger, 16 mobiles phones, 8 SIM cards, 4 ATM cards, two laptops,pen drives and a bike has been seized. Besides that the police have also found seven Jihadi books,which an investigating officer were termed 'jihadi' as contained inflammatory texts. The police also have found maps of Chennai,India and even Iran,including some Urdu paper clippings.

assasination-plot-pm-petitioned/

The Civil Liberties Monitoring Committee in its memorandum condemned the arrest of Muslim youths from different parts of India and expressed that the police action is based upon malicious intention and dishonesty. These arrests are the result of nexus between anti Muslim police groups of Hyderabad and Bangalore working with the support of Hindutva outfits. This committee believes that the main intention of these arrests is to divert the attention of people from the court verdict against the criminals of Gujarat genocide and ongoing genocide of Muslim in Assam

assassination-probe-gets-country-wide-dimension/

Interestingly this operation comprises youth of the newer generation and it appears that each one of them were chosen on the basis of similar mind sets. It bears similarities to the manner in which the Indian Muhjahideen was formed as even in this case it was a fight to protect religion. However unlike the IM, this group was out to target personalities such as politicians and journalists who they thought were a threat to their religion.

the-strange-case-of-maulana-and-family/

The arrest of Obaid ur Rehman from Hyderabad in connection with the assassination plot is interesting in many ways. He happens to be the relative of Maulana Nasiruddin, who is one of the most controversial clerics from Hyderabad.

For the family of this Maulana this has become a sort of a routine. The police coming to their door step and picking up members of their family is not something new to them. It all started off with the Maulana himself who has spent a considerable amount of time in the Gujarat jail for the murder of former Home Minister of that state, Haren Pandya. He was however acquitted later in that case and today is in Hyderabad.
The problems for this family worsened when Riazuddin Nasir was picked up in connection with terrorism charges. Riaz the son of Maulana was part of the agitation that took place in the aftermath of the Mecca Masjid blasts in Hyderabad. He had protested the killing of his friend Mujahid in the firing following which he was arrested. However he was released later and then went missing according to the police. During this time he is said to have participated in a camp organised by the Lashkar-e-Tayiba and had planned on carrying out a series of blasts in Goa. However he was picked up by the Karnataka police when he was allegedly stealing vehicles in the state so that he could use them to plant the bombs and carry out the attack. After spending a couple of years in the Karnataka jail, he was taken to Gujarat as he was wanted in some of the case over there. He is currently lodged over there.
While both father and son were in jail, it was the other two sons, Yasir and Jabir who ran their home in Hyderabad. However the peace for the family was short lived when the Indore police picked up Yasir on the ground that he had coordinated with some SIMI activists in Madhya Pradesh. It was claimed that his name cropped up during the questioning of Safdar Nagori. Yasir the second son of Maulana is now in a jail at Indore.
A year after that arrest, the Madhya Pradesh police claimed that they had found evidence against the youngest son of the Maulana, Jabir. They with the coordination of the Hyderabad police picked him up too and he too is in the Indore jail at the moment.
Shortly after the arrest of Jabir, Maulana was acquitted by the court and returned to Hyderabad. After his release from jail, he had said in an interview with rediff.com that
we have been fighting for the rights of people and they think by targeting us, they will disillusion us in our fight. There are many Muslims in the country, who are looked up with respect, and the police think that they can finish us off by targeting us. The atmosphere in our society is getting spoilt due to this and this is what some people are aiming at.
What will the Indian police gain by targeting people? At the end of the day they too know that innocent people will be acquitted and they would lose face.It is not as simple as you think. They are not working independently.
There is pressure from the top as well as pressure from foreign countries. The Indian police know that they have a weak case on hand. The problem is that they too are acting under pressure. May be at the end of it people like us will be acquitted, but the fact remains that they manage to ruin a large part of our lives.
Today the nightmare for the family has returned once again with the arrest of Obaid. He is a second year BCom student and was studying at the Anwar Uloom college and was a resident of Baba Nagar in the old City of Hyderabad. He is the nephew of Maulana Nasiruddin and is considered to be involved in the assasination plot which was busted in a joint operation by the Bangalore, Andhra Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh police.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
One more terror suspect nabbed in Bangalore

Widening the net, police have arrested one more person allegedly linked with a terror module that was unearthed last week with 14 suspects now in custody.

The City Crime Branch picked up Dr Nayueem Siddique here last evening on the basis of information provided by those already arrested. A laptop, mobile phone and Rs10,000 in cash had been seized from Siddique, a native of Davangere, the CCB said in a release here.

Siddique was in touch with the other arrested and providing logistical and financial support to their activities, police said, adding, he was also working as recruiter for them.

CCB sleuths arrested 11 suspects, five from Hubli and six in the city on August 30 uncovering the terror module run by them in a major operation. Three more were arrested in as many days subsequently.

The arrested including journalist Muti Ur-Reheman Siddique of an English daily, who had been remanded to police custody, were being subjected to intense questioning on their terror plans, police said. Preliminary investigation showed that the suspects had plans to target Sangh Parivar leaders, MPs, a media owner and two journalists.

One more terror suspect nabbed in Bangalore - India - DNA

iNDiAN.96

Troll Soldier
Country flag
I saw one news channel where they showing "Are Terror arrests genuine?"

I mean c'mon who are you to judge country's security?

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Bangalore: How police tracked down terror suspects

Bangalore: It was not an easy task for the police to unravel the links in the terror plot, a police source said. The detectives of the Special Intelligence Branch (SIB) of Andhra Pradesh were in disguise of patients, street vendors and PR persons to track terror suspects.

The source said detectives had camped in Bangalore and Hubli to keep tabs on the movements of the suspects. "They worked round the clock for nearly three months and kept watch on all the suspects outside their residences. They were in various disguises so that the suspects would not get any clue."

"In Hubli, some of the detectives had visited the clinic of arrested suspect Dr Jaffer Iqbal Solapur in the guise of patients. They extracted basic information about him. Here in the city, two SIB sleuths used to wander in Munireddypalya, where the suspects resided, selling old television sets at throw-away prices, so that no one suspected them while other police followed them," the source explained.

"Two sleuths had also visited the office of the English daily where reporter Muti Ur-Rehman Siddique worked. They had gone there on the pretext of handing out some press notes. They confirmed that Siddique was working with the same organisation," the source added. The suspects who are in custody are being interrogated from 6 am to 1 am in the midnight, sources said.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
ISI tasked Bangalore terror module to recee nuclear, defence installations: MHA sources

New Delhi: In the latest development in connection with the Bangalore terror module, sources in the Ministry of Home Affairs have said that the ISI had tasked the module to recee nuclear and defence installations.

The MHA sources further said that two of the suspects went to Pakistan to meet the top officials of the ISI.

India is likely to seek information from Saudi Arabia on the handlers of the group.

This came after one more person was arrested in connection with the terror crackdown in Karnataka.

The person, identified as Dr Nayueem Siddique, was arrested on Sunday night from Davangere. A laptop, phones and cash have been seized from him. He was suspected to be working as a recruiter for the terror organisation.

The City Crime Branch arrested Dr Nayueem Siddique on the basis of information provided by those already arrested.

Siddique was in touch with the other arrested and providing logistical and financial support to their activities, police said, adding, he was also working as recruiter for them.

Siddique is the 18th person to have been arrested in the terror crackdown that has spread to Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh.

Eleven people were arrested from Bangalore on Thursday. Two days later, a student was arrested in Hyderabad and four others were arrested from Nanded in Maharashtra. On Sunday, another man, Mohammad Akram, was arrested as he tried to flee the city on Saturday night.

The arrested including journalist Muti Ur-Reheman Siddique of an English daily, who had been remanded to police custody, were being subjected to intense questioning on their terror plans, police said.

The government has said that the module was planning to strike defence and nuclear establishments in the country and that the entire conspiracy had been hatched in Saudi Arabia.

(With Additional Inputs from PTI)

Tolaha

Re: Bangalore Police arrest journalist, 10 others for suspected terror

Trust me when I say that I accidentally came across this link when I was searching for something in Google.

Actually KS strong winds of sanskritisation are blowing in TN.

Thank you for this info @KS. It's always comforting to get fresh hot news directly from someone with their ears close to the ground, rather than from some media house who have their own agenda! :pokerface:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles