Ashdoc's movie review---Student of the year part 2

ashdoc

Country flag
Student of the year part 2 has a similar setting like part one---a posh college looking like something from a foreign country with westernised crowd and westernised lingo. Ordinary words like 'change' are to be upgraded to words like 'evolve' . The girls are wearing very short skirts and the guys' fave hangout is the local nightclub .

Into this rarefied setting comes an outsider---a poor boy on a sports scholarship who is looking to try to hook up again with his girlfriend Mridula ( Tara Sutaria ) who has changed her name to Mia after she got admission to this college and who tries to avoid him . The boy is Rohan Sachdev ( Tiger Shroff ) . He gets into trouble with the college trustee's daughter Shreya ( Ananya Pandey ) who is a big prankster and who targets him .

Shreya's brother Manav ( Aditya Seal ) acts nice at first and takes Rohan under his wing , only to discover that Rohan has too much talent to remain just his sidekick . Rohan challenges Manav both in sports and in dance . And then emerges the dark side of Manav . And also emerges the vulnerable side of the big prankster Shreya , who falls for Rohan's gentlemanliness like a ton of bricks .

The problem with the budding romances is---no one is sure whom to love . Mia/Mridula's attraction oscillates between Manav and Rohan . And Rohan's love oscillates between Shreya and Mridula . But Manav's hate is not oscillating . He is sure whom to hate---Rohan . And has Rohan rusticated from the college using his father's influence as trustee . Manav has to go back to the poorer college he once studied at and the poor friends he once had .

But it is those poor friends who stand by him when he decides to take revenge on Manav by beating him in sports---the dignity cup , which is the inter collegiate sports competition in which Manav has led his collage to be winner in the past . Problem is , there is no heart in the mouth moment as the rivals lock horns in the dignity cup . The ending in which there can be only one obvious winner ( good always triumphs over evil doesn't it ) is as tepid as it gets .

What is more interesting is the oscillation of the would be lovers unsure of whom to love , but having decent chemistry with each other . While the movie does not provide the zing when the protagonists are in confrontational mode , it does give us some interesting moments when the same people are grappling with problems of love . So the movie does have a good build up to it's plot for some time with some good looking girls and boys ( even the villain is good looking ) interacting and dancing and singing .

Acting and choreography and background music is okay . Colours and photography and fight scenes are okay too . Songs are decent . If your expectations are not weighed down by comparisons with part one then the movie is a one time watch .

Verdict---Decent .

Three stars out of five .

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
I haven't watched SotY-2.

I have watched "Godzilla : King of the Monsters" and I didn't like it. Waiting for Ashdoc's review.

Absolut_Vodka

Quarantined Abdul
Banned
Country flag
Godzilla part 2 is great movie but it evolves more around fight between titans and human contribution is minimum as opposed to Godzilla 1998. It's along the lines of Japanese kaiju cult. Buildup to titans character is weak since it has to jump from one to another.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Why didn’t you like Godzilla.. boring?
Actually it had too much of everything just like Transformers 3. Godzilla's entry was not grand like 2014 version. No daytime cgi was shown, almost all fight scenes happened in night time. It was unrealistic to see actors remaining alive beneath fighting Titans. Titans were also not introduced properly. I also didn't like Monarch part, I mean I could not digest the entire idea of knowing all the Titans and keeping them in sleeping condition, hiding it successfully from the world. 1998 and 2014 were better.

Though it's a good movie, yet I got bloated feeling from it.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles