Ashdoc's movie review---Bahubali

ashdoc

Country flag
The costliest and biggest film ever to be made in India is finally here....promising special effects that even Hollywood would envy....

And it does live upto it's mighty name....producing an extravaganza of war and legend on celluloid like never before....

A roaring waterfall is beautifully shown falling from a height that is ten times that of naigara , with waters which cascade like milk over a slippery mountain that seems to head endlessly upwards...

And for the hero ( played by Prabhas ) who manages to climb the slippery heights of the waterfall to the roof of the world among snowy hills lies the ultimate prize---the kingdom of mahishmati , which is a wonder on earth with mighty bastions and magnificent palaces and superbly crafted temples....

And also waiting for him in the high heights beyond the waterfall is the beautiful Tammanah , a damsel with pink skin and smooth belly with a deep navel that would be dream to explore....

And it is Tammanah who eggs him on to invade Mahishmati alone...

But waiting for him in Mahishmati is another secret---that he is the one who has been chosen by destiny to lead the people of the kingdom towards liberation from the evil clutches of the villain ( played by Rana Daggubati ) ,who has kept many in the chains of slavery and unleashed tyranny upon the rest....

Yes , he is Bahubali---the ultimate warrior and the rightful heir to the throne of the kingdom....for he was whisked away as a child from the kingdom after his father who was king was killed by the villain....

And he then hears the story of how his father fought an epic battle to save the kingdom of Mahishmati from a horde of barbarians---a battle that is brought alive on celluloid like no battle has been ever before....

He hears how his father tamed a giant bull---a huge bull with massive size and built , and a scene filmed with such spectacular skill....you really feel that bull's angry snorts as his attack is brought to a grinding halt by the hero's father ( Prabhas in a double role )....

And he sees really tall statue of gold being raised in the city---another superb effort of photography....

But the piece de resistance of the film is the epic battle fought with cruel savages who are crude enough to dream of violating the women of Mahishmati....

Precise battle plans are brought to perfection on the battlefield ; soldiers armed with gleaming pikes and shields form a impenetrable wall of steel....

Giant balls of stone are thrown by gigantic catapults onto the enemy , and a storm of fire is unleashed in the enemy's ranks....

Dramatic cavalry charges are made onto the plains filled with enemy soldiers , and sharp arrows are fired by huge bows....

Shining swords strike enemy bodies drawing red blood from them....

Hundreds of thousands of soldiers are shown cramming the plains of battle like a dark cloud of locusts....

And all of this is filmed with magnificent special effects the kind of which India has never seen before....a literal splurge of money....

The music is pleasant too---all melodious songs and soothing instrumentation that pleases the senses....

Prabhas looks good too---muscled and leader like ; a true Bahubali....
Rana Dagubatti looks strong and beefy ; a strong contender for the throne that he wants....

But at the end of it all comes the real disappointment---that the film has not ended at all ; it has been left incomplete....the second part will complete the film in 2016 , a part named as 'Bahubali the conclusion'....
Some in the audience were swearing to themselves in sheer disappointment....for the first part of the film had raided the bar of entertainment high , but the incomplete ending had left audience feeling high and dry....
Many will return in 2016 however , hoping to watch another epic battle filmed in the second part like never before....
I will return too...

Verdict---spectacular entertainment .
Four stars .

Last edited:

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
8/10 Though I can't say why I am cutting 2 points, this movie can cause a serious damage to any movie showing at the same time and the competing movie has already started media ads to repair the damage. Really Epic ! when you come out of the theater, you feel as if you have journeyed the past, simply incomparable to any historical or period movie India has ever produced.

I recommend it, go and enjoy it in theater. :clap2:

blueblood

Excellent movie. Opened up film industry and viewers alike to grand fantasy films.

I have watched it twice already. Second time is more fun.

A chauhan

Country flag
Excellent movie. Opened up film industry and viewers alike to grand fantasy films.

I have watched it twice already. Second time is more fun.
This movie has shown a mirror to the Bollywood movie makers, they must be feeling ashamed for the kind of movies they have made in the last 7-8 years, idiotic, plot-less, vulgar etc. I sometimes think that Bollywoodies make movies for self-entertainment only and not for the common people like me.:confused1:

blueblood

This movie has shown a mirror to the Bollywood movie makers, they must be feeling ashamed for the kind of movies they have made in the last 7-8 years, idiotic, plot-less, vulgar etc. I sometimes think that Bollywoodies make movies for self-entertainment only and not for the common people like me.:confused1:
Sometimes you find a rare gem in youtube comments section, I found one which was spot on.

Seekho RaOne aur Krish 3 banane walon seekho.

Last edited:

A chauhan

Country flag
Sometimes you find a rare gem on youtube comments section, I found one which was spot on.

Seekho RaOne aur Krish 3 banane walon seekho.
RaOne and Krrish 3 were creative but they look tiny before Baahubali, I was talking about "Leela...", "PK", "Jism...series", "Murder...series", & every second Bollywood movie.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
This is a torquey kick in the balls of Khans, who thought they could get away with a producing cliched bullshit that earns 100 Cr.

It's especially gratifying to see how it beats PK's pseudo-atheist/covert-islamist agenda at the box office, with better collections.

Telugu film industry is planning to make more such epics. There's talk of a "Samrat Vikramaditya" movie.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
B.T.W the film has made 303 crores in 9 days I think. Eagerly waiting for international cut, pretty sure movie will make 1000 crores(international combined) before second part releases.

I don't think current Bollywood directors are capable of pulling off such a movie again, I feel they don't have such project management capabilities and more importantly they don't have brains to sustain such long periods of clarity of thought.

Only exception being lagaan.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
I have been waiting to watch the movie for auch a looooong time and now it came out in telegu only in Vizag. Not a single hindi print! Now I have to watch only if I manage to go home next week.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Baahubali: The Beginning review – fantastic bang for your buck in most expensive Indian movie ever made
4/5stars

Topless men fight bulls, couples kiss amid orchids, hundreds of flogged extras erect a tower and there’s a 45 minute battle – SS Rajamouli’s two-part epic brilliantly ticks off the blockbuster wish-list, and innovates with it

Holy Moses … Baahubali: The Beginning stars a man called The One with Strong Arms
Mike McCahill

The most expensive Indian movie ever made turns out to have spent a fair bit on getting one man to the top of a cliff and then leaving him hanging. SS Rajamouli’s Baahubali – a Telugu production, dubbed into Tamil and releasing in two parts (Baahubali: The Conclusion follows next year) – reportedly set its producers back around $40 million: pocket change by Hollywood standards, a sign of how the movie world’s other half live. Yet for once with these lavish items, the budget isn’t the whole story: the impressive results only set one to wondering why the American studios don’t insist on getting more for their money.

The eponymous hero (“The One with Strong Arms”) embodies several legends for the price of one. Plucked from a river, the infant Baahubali could be Moses; shifting a stone shrine several hundred feet, his teenage self is as hefty as Hercules; swinging from vines so as to climb the waterfall his village sits under, he’s as romantic a figure as Tarzan.

The film, like its hero, keeps flexing its muscles; Rajamouli clearly asked “Whatcan’t we do with this cash?” You want to see a man wrestling a bull with his bare hands? You got it. Two lovers fleeing an avalanche on a rock? Check. A hero swatting 10,000 arrows using his sword alone? Why not.

New frontiers unfold before our eyes: one moment we’re witnessing mildly risqué canoodling in a forest of orchids, the next prowling the streets of a fortified city where hundreds of flogged and flogging extras have been charged with erecting a towering golden statue. (Again with the Moses comparisons.) The final 45 minutes roam a vast battlefield that, with its human shields and Boadicea-style murder chariots, makes Helms Deep resemble a punch-up in a chip shop. At each turn, the money’s right there on screen, yet what’s most striking is how these resources have been marshalled – to enhance, rather than clutter up, the narrative throughline.

In this, Baahubali demonstrates the pleasing, straight-ahead simplicity of certain videogames: whenever our hero accomplishes a task, some new challenge presents itself. Upon scaling that waterfall, the adult Baahubali (the genial, moustachioed Prabhas) finds he’s strayed into a civil war; only with a glimpse of warrior princess Avanthika (Tamannaah Bhatia) does he sense which side to pick. Their slyly feminist pairing makes some headway, yet that last-act battle forms part of an extended flashback that reveals the full extent of the dynastic tangle they’ve charged into. (The decision to split one epic into two films here makes narrative and economic sense: this mess will require some cleaning up.)

Throughout, Rajamouli strikes a near-perfect balance between physicality and poetics. That waterfall becomes both mirror and measure of personal growth; one lingering slo-mo shot of a warrior’s chainmail in motion would stir a Zhang Yimou or Wong Kar-wai into renewed action. It’s merely cute when Baahubali plunges into a lake to paint the hand the dozing Avanthika has let slip into the waters, yet the action has a lovely pay-off: this impromptu tattoo is seen to complete one on the hero’s bicep during a later embrace. Unlike the committee scripting of, say, The Scorpion King, a lot of Baahubali appears to have been written in the stars.

And that’s finally the film’s appeal: it’s a throwback, the kind of peppy serial that would have graced the multiplex in the days before product-placement, billion-dollar PR campaigns and obligation 3D, when the sole components required for a blockbuster were a hero, a villain, a few fights, a few songs, and a happy ending. Rajamouli defers on the latter for now, but his skilful choreography of these elements shucks off any cynicism one might carry into Screen 1: wide-eyed and wondrous, his film could be a blockbuster reboot, or the first blockbuster ever made, a reinvigoration of archetypes that is always entertaining, and often thrilling, to behold. Roll on 2016.

• Director: SS Rajamouli. With: Prabhas, Rana Daggubati, Anushka Shetty, Tamannaah Bhatia. 159 mins. Cert: 15

http://www.theguardian.com/film/201...buck-in-most-expensive-indian-movie-ever-made

TrueSpirit2

This is a torquey kick in the balls of Khans, who thought they could get away with a producing cliched bullshit that earns 100 Cr.

It's especially gratifying to see how it beats PK's pseudo-atheist/covert-islamist agenda at the box office, with better collections.

Telugu film industry is planning to make more such epics. There's talk of a "Samrat Vikramaditya" movie.
I sincerely hope that "bahubali" makes mincemeat of all Paki-loving, Dawood-henchmen that Bollywood is overflowing with, especially, of career-murderers like "sallu chu*iya bhai".

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Bajirav Mastani trailer looks promising though.
Given that it is bansali film, i don't expect the guy to deviate from his template. Template in his case being Lots of earth colours in frame, Lots of melodrama, Little / irrelevant CGI, Lots of indoor shots, good music, lots of glycerine used, Very colourful costumes, definitely a love story masked a period drama.

The guy has about 5 months to adapt to Baahubali effect in his post-production, if not it would be another a average or above average movie. because by the time BM releases baahubali will still be doing international market.

i didn't find anything interesting in the trailer, it looks like costume period drama, and because i am an archer what pissed me off was that Deepika was holding the arrow wrong.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

I sincerely hope that "bahubali" makes mincemeat of all Paki-loving, Dawood-henchmen that Bollywood is overflowing with, especially, of career-murderers like "sallu chu*iya bhai".
Definitely better than watching real life criminal and murderers like Salman and the PK type crap.

Always liked films like these so it's in the "To watch" list of Bollywood.

Satybharat

Country flag
excellent movie . ....movie stops half way of the story..thats frustrating

A chauhan

Country flag

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles