Argentinian ad in Indian newspaper against Britain

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I have taken a photo of the ad in the newspaper. Never seen something like this. What prompted Argentina to advertise in Indian media? Does it think it will help galvanize support of Indians citizens against Britain?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339653568.959127.jpg

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
I have no idea what prompted Argentina to advertise in India, but I am very pleasantly surprised.

Good luck to Argentina.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
So India is getting recognised worldwide as a power to reckon with while GBr is getting boots, rightly so for its mistakes:yey:

ejazr

Ambassador
India is on the UNSC, and this issue is coming up on the UNSC agenda. Maybe that is why the ad was done in India. Maybe its being done in all UNSC countries?

Sukerchakia

I dont know if this will help though. If it ever comes to UN, they will plump for a referendum. And the demographics have changed in favor of Britain in the past 150 years. More than 70% of the population of Malvinas or Falklands is of British descent. Seems unlikely they will vote to join Argentina.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
India fought colonialism, both through peace and war, according to a Brazilian source leaders and planners of Argentina's Falkland liberation attempt were influenced my the Indian Liberation of Goa. The see India as a friend, opportunity, hope and example. I think India should support their cause. Even Brazil and Chile supports Argentina's cause.

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I was seeing a report on Al Jazeera where people there wanted independence as have nothing to do with both Britain and Argentina.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Recently India is exploring natural resource opportunities in Falklands which puts Argentina in sort of uncomfortable position; while Indian companies shake hands with Brits to get the work done.

Sent via Tapatalk from a galaxy far far away

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Recently India is exploring natural resource opportunities in Falklands which puts Argentina is sort of uncomfortable position; while Indian companies shake hands with Brits to get the work done.

Really? Missed that part. Any link? I mean why will Britain shake hands win India for oil exploration? They have BP to do so.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Check the last post on that thread. And by handshake, I mean co-operation only.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Check the last post on that thread. And by handshake, I mean co-operation only.

That's what I am doubting. India may not back the UK in this conflict. At best be neutral.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Indian presence itself makes Argentina uncomfortable. What is supposed to be bilateral dispute now becomes bit complicated.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Falkland Islands will vote on political status - CNN.com

(CNN) -- The Falkland Islands government announced Tuesday that the British territory will hold a referendum on its political status.

The vote is intended to affirm islanders' desire to remain a self-governing territory of the United Kingdom and to reject claims of ownership by nearby Argentina.The Argentine government in recent months has stepped up its rhetoric over the Falklands, saying that the U.K. is exploiting the resources of the islands it calls Las Malvinas. The British defeated Argentina in a 1982 war over the territory.

"We have thought carefully about how to convey a strong message to the outside world that expresses the views of the Falklands people in a clear, democratic and incontestable way," said Gavin Short, chairman of the Falklands legislative assembly. "So we have decided, with the full support of the British government, to hold a referendum on the Falkland Islands to eliminate any possible doubt about our wishes."

The vote will take place in the first half of 2013.The Argentine government did not immediately respond to the announcement.Short accused the Argentine government of misleading rhetoric that implies that there is local support for Argentine rule.

"We certainly have no desire to be ruled by the government in Buenos Aires, a fact that is immediately obvious to anyone who has visited the islands and heard our views," he said.This year marks the 30th anniversary of the war. The Falklands have been under British rule since 1833. Britain won the 74-day war that began with an Argentine invasion attempt, but Argentina still presses claims to the islands, which are home to more than 3,000 people.

The most recent controversy regarding the Falklands happened last month, when Argentina released a video boosting its Olympic team that was filmed on the islands.The advertisement showed Argentine field hockey star Fernando Zylberberg training in the streets of Port Stanley in the Falklands. The video ends with the slogan: "To compete on English soil, we train on Argentine soil."

The British government accused Argentina of exploiting the Olympic Games, which will take place in London this year, for political ends.

In March, six Nobel Peace Prize laureates wrote a letter to British Prime Minister David Cameron, urging him to hold talks with Argentina on the future of the Falkland Islands.The letter called on Cameron to "review the British government's position of refusing to dialogue on this matter."The British government has repeatedly stated its position that the residents of the islands should be the ones to determine their fate.The planned referendum seeks to do just that.

"We are holding this referendum not because we have any doubts about who we are and what future we want, but to show the world just how very certain we are about that," Short said.

trackwhack

Falkland Islands will vote on political status - CNN.com

(CNN) -- The Falkland Islands government announced Tuesday that the British territory will hold a referendum on its political status.

The vote is intended to affirm islanders' desire to remain a self-governing territory of the United Kingdom and to reject claims of ownership by nearby Argentina.The Argentine government in recent months has stepped up its rhetoric over the Falklands, saying that the U.K. is exploiting the resources of the islands it calls Las Malvinas. The British defeated Argentina in a 1982 war over the territory.

"We have thought carefully about how to convey a strong message to the outside world that expresses the views of the Falklands people in a clear, democratic and incontestable way," said Gavin Short, chairman of the Falklands legislative assembly. "So we have decided, with the full support of the British government, to hold a referendum on the Falkland Islands to eliminate any possible doubt about our wishes."

The vote will take place in the first half of 2013.The Argentine government did not immediately respond to the announcement.Short accused the Argentine government of misleading rhetoric that implies that there is local support for Argentine rule.

"We certainly have no desire to be ruled by the government in Buenos Aires, a fact that is immediately obvious to anyone who has visited the islands and heard our views," he said.This year marks the 30th anniversary of the war. The Falklands have been under British rule since 1833. Britain won the 74-day war that began with an Argentine invasion attempt, but Argentina still presses claims to the islands, which are home to more than 3,000 people.

The most recent controversy regarding the Falklands happened last month, when Argentina released a video boosting its Olympic team that was filmed on the islands.The advertisement showed Argentine field hockey star Fernando Zylberberg training in the streets of Port Stanley in the Falklands. The video ends with the slogan: "To compete on English soil, we train on Argentine soil."

The British government accused Argentina of exploiting the Olympic Games, which will take place in London this year, for political ends.

In March, six Nobel Peace Prize laureates wrote a letter to British Prime Minister David Cameron, urging him to hold talks with Argentina on the future of the Falkland Islands.The letter called on Cameron to "review the British government's position of refusing to dialogue on this matter."The British government has repeatedly stated its position that the residents of the islands should be the ones to determine their fate.The planned referendum seeks to do just that.

"We are holding this referendum not because we have any doubts about who we are and what future we want, but to show the world just how very certain we are about that," Short said.
Thats because you are [edited] british scum that does not even belong to the Falklands.

Last edited by a moderator:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
DrudgeReportArchives.com � 2012

Argentina loses third of its dollar deposits... ...foreign exchange restrictions

Argentina 'suing' British oil companies over Falklands...

Argentina Approves Transgender Rights, Publicly Funded Sex-Change Operations...

EU trade chief warns of imminent action against Argentina...

Argentina mocks Britain in Falklands Olympic ad...

Argentina to renationalize oil... ^

pmaitra

India fought colonialism, both through peace and war, according to a Brazilian source leaders and planners of Argentina's Falkland liberation attempt were influenced my the Indian Liberation of Goa. The see India as a friend, opportunity, hope and example. I think India should support their cause. Even Brazil and Chile supports Argentina's cause.
Ideally, India should side with Argentina. I agree.

I was seeing a report on Al Jazeera where people there wanted independence as have nothing to do with both Britain and Argentina.
Now, if this is the case, supporting either Britain or Argentina won't help. However, it is also important to question whether Falklands can exists as a sovereign entity at all.

Recently India is exploring natural resource opportunities in Falklands which puts Argentina in sort of uncomfortable position; while Indian companies shake hands with Brits to get the work done.
India needs energy. Whoever controls the resources, should be India's favourite. When the other party (Argentina or Falklands residents) is on the verge of taking control, by war or referendum, India should switch sides.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles