Are books any good in real life?

SPIEZ

Country flag
This thread is to bring up the basic question about books, which is "Are books any good in real life". Yes, life without books would be ruins. How would we have engineers or doctors MBA grads so on and so forth.

Books do have advantages, they keep us informed and they keep us so called educative. Books do give us a vast amount of academic knowledge, but are they any good at delivering about practical knowledge?

Also there are so many books which can transform a person, for eg "How to win friends and influence people" and "Who moved my cheese".
Who moved my cheese was my favorite one, it somehow change my outlook in life.

So, all you avid readers, are nooks any good in life?

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
So what are the cons?

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Are books any good in real life?
Yes.Like quran for muslims,bilble for christians,gita for hindus except for red book for chinese.

SPIEZ

Country flag
So what are the cons?
The con is are they really effective, or is it for purely for academic purpose.

Yes.Like quran for muslims,bilble for christians,gita for hindus except for red book for chinese.
I partially agree with that. But at times these books are known to produce whack-jobs which is the main problem for the society.

SPIEZ

Country flag
Please avoid Religious books from here on.

I m sure the thread will go in a tangent

Shredder

Country flag
Some books are good for theoretical knowledge, some are good in real life situations, depends on the book.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
If by books you mean those novels, then i have never read one inf my life. Never ever had the patience for it. I have read the world book of encyclopedia and prefer such books. I bought a lot of books that came on offer from Readers Digest and i love the content of it. Science, factual stuff interest me and thats the only thing i read. And yes i find them useful.

@ajtr, outside Arabia, very few people understand whats written in The Quran. The written meaning that is, let alone the esoteric. And yes, please dont take this thread OT.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
@ajtr, outside Arabia, very few people understand whats written in The Quran. The written meaning that is, let alone the esoteric. And yes, please dont take this thread OT.
Speak for yourself not others last ot post

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
il bin tun in Arabic means a Beautiful girl.

Learnt that by reading a book?

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I think by reading any book, one gains knowledge and a better insight into life and its ways.

Novels too have their own value. It gives a view of the society and its intricacies.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
This thread is to bring up the basic question about books, which is "Are books any good in real life". Yes, life without books would be ruins. How would we have engineers or doctors MBA grads so on and so forth.

Books do have advantages, they keep us informed and they keep us so called educative. Books do give us a vast amount of academic knowledge, but are they any good at delivering about practical knowledge?

Also there are so many books which can transform a person, for eg "How to win friends and influence people" and "Who moved my cheese".
Who moved my cheese was my favorite one, it somehow change my outlook in life.

So, all you avid readers, are nooks any good in life?

Well my friend, the tradional wisdom is:

" Yesham na vidya na tapo na danam, Gyanam na shilam na guno na dharamah; Te martya loke bhuvi bhaara bhutaah, Manushya rupena mrigaashcharanti.

Do ponder over it.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Books are essential means of education you can not learn all things through lectures or Discovery channel.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Yes, they are. I hate when people read Wikipedia and think they are suddenly experts on a topic.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Yes, they are. I hate when people read Wikipedia and think they are suddenly experts on a topic.
Almost every Wikipedia article lists references which are ... books. Or published articles.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I wouldn't know, I haven't picked up a book since they invented the Kindle.

warriorextreme

Country flag
I have never read novels or spy stories but yes autobiographies and biographies are my thing, They have taught me so much...

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Can't keep religion OUT on anything... the only book for you is religious books which can be useful in life :rolleyes: :lol:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Can't keep religion OUT on anything... the only book for you is religious books which can be useful in life :rolleyes: :lol:

I have never read novels or spy stories but yes autobiographies and biographies are my thing, They have taught me so much...
Yes, something which relates to real life is something is very useful.Books of personal developments which depicts examples of real life personalities/heros is particularly useful.

Can everyone mention the books they really liked and suggests others as well? (KEEP RELIGION OUT)

mki

books forms basic structuer of life or knowledge....... now its upto individual who is going to expand that structure by experience, intelactual thinking and inovations...

but if you keep reading books and never impement that knowlegde in the life then it will be useless..... and otherside of coins...... if you take wrong knowledge then the books will ruine your life......

I have read a lot of things about Adolf Hitler...... now its up to me that i will put which part of book in my life...... should i have to learn something about good things like good leadership quality, vision, hardship, and do my individual thinking to avoid wrong things..... or should i take how to impliment recisam and killing methods....