An Ideal Recce aircraft for COIN?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Naxal use captured Bren ( 7.62nato ) in Anti air roles at max..

Btw, I did not know where to post this picture so i will post it here >>

Its a recce propeller driven aircraft, Its cheap and light, This aircraft is used by Russian border guards against smugglers and infiltrators for both attack and recce roles ...

Why are people asking about armor of such light observation aircrafts? They fly/operate beyond the range of small arms fire. Max range of 7.62 is 1km with pathetic accuracy, same for 12.7 is 3km. Wouldn't recce aircrafts fly at above 4km?

Maoists/Naxalites are not known to operate 20mm or higher caliber AA guns, do they?

nirranj

Country flag
Against Maoist no combat aircraft is cable enough. Even the UAVs or UCAVs. There fore the best Practice is to train more commandos and use them to infiltrate the jungles the Maoist hide and carry out jungle combat ops in long term to eliminate them.
I think the LRRP missions carried out by SL army against the Tigers will be a effective tool to suffocate the maoists. You can shed some light on that in a separate thread. Also on the tiger's retaliation.

HeinzGud

Country flag
I think the LRRP missions carried out by SL army against the Tigers will be a effective tool to suffocate the maoists. You can shed some light on that in a separate thread. Also on the tiger's retaliation.
Exactly.. Indian army must excel in the Maoist's game. It is the only way to eliminate them.

BTW what is that seperate thread...?

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned
Exactly.. Indian army must excel in the Maoist's game. It is the only way to eliminate them.

I think, he wants you to create a new thread. Can you do that ?

nirranj

Country flag

If You can give some success stories, tactics, hurdles, logistics involved, weapons used, intel, how the Tigers countered these missions etc. It will be a good learning for many of us.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
@Ray Sir, Regarding Helicopter and Aircraft and UAV in recce missions in CT area have there own advantages and disadvantages, I would like to add few more to your posts ..

Helicopters > They can land and takeoff from anywhere, But they can stay in air for limited time and have highest operational and Maintenance cost ..

Air-crafts > They can stay in air for long for recce missions but need huge infrastructure to support them, Ideal Aircraft for such areas are propeller driven .

UAV > UAV are most expensive, They also need large infrastructure so does a large man forces about 40 specialized men for a single UAV ..

Each have there own issues ..

==============

Imho, Our forces should have a platform which can stay for weeks in Air at low cost providing Night and Day coverage of the battlefield, The answer may be in balloons / Aerostats .. :)

These Aerostats utilizes EO/IR sensors, radars, flash and acoustic gunshot detectors, to provide persistent, panoramic surveillance of the covered area, providing timely warning of potential threats and other events valued for intelligence purposes. The main sensor is an EO/IR payload, carrying a laser rangefinder, designator and target marker. In some configurations, radar, RF signal interceptors or gunshot detectors are employed, They can stay at 2500ft in air or more for days ..

Of course they are effected in harsh weather, But again all other platforms too effected by Natural causes ..

This could be an excellent recce aircraft for BSF and CRPF ops against Maoists.
India does not have any philosophy to use aircraft bomb/ strafe its own, even if they are anti national.

Therefore, UAV are fine to detect.

Helicopters are fine to evacuate and for liaison.

Helicopters can land anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eastman

Country flag
Recce is okay but air assault upon domestic trouble like naxal is controversial, afaik the air force discontinued air assault idea after the infamous karbi anglong bombing. It may result in civilian causalities which may result counter productive. Air assault sounds good on enemy territory for domestic trouble it is the last resort.

Eastman

Country flag
and guided missiles for seasonal intruders will make our defence forces sleep empty stomach :sad:

Eastman

Country flag
Aerostats are good but enemy can avoid the line of sight of such static aero blips, HALE UAV preferable like the solar power driven can do good they can stay airborne for days, they can stay outside the line of sight and high altitude and electric drive can make it stay outside the range of ears too. Plus they can change position for a view from different possible angle.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@Kunal,

There is no doubt that your comparative analysis of the aerial platforms are right.

However, I would say the helicopter is more manoeuvrable than a fixed wing platform (UAV would be better but expensive as you correctly write). This is more so in close country and country with thick forest canopy with small apertures to the ground. Hovering and tight circuits that a helicopter can do is a great help for observation.

I am speaking of my experience in the COIN environment.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeinzGud

Country flag
If You can give some success stories, tactics, hurdles, logistics involved, weapons used, intel, how the Tigers countered these missions etc. It will be a good learning for many of us.
There is a book I can recommend which I have read within last few months. It is called "Gota's War" Gota's War|C.A.Chandraprema|Vijitha Yapa|ISBN 9789555408707. The book is mostly unbiased and gives the true picture of the events unfolded for 30 yrs in Sri Lanka through the eyes of a Journalist

Global Defence

New threads

Articles