Amir Khan on the cover of TIME

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
Aamir Khan: Time magazine features the star on its cover

The talk show Satyamev Jayate has got Aamir Khan on the cover of the Asian edition of Time magazine.
The September issue of Time (Asian edition) features Aamir with a frown on his face. The caption reads: 'Khan's Quest - He's breaking the Bollywood mold by tackling India's Social evils. Can one actor change a nation?'
The cover story talks of how Aamir has managed to reach out to an estimated one third of the country with his TV show that tackled persistent flaws in modern India, which is largely ignored by Indian citizens.

The magazine has applauded Aamir's efforts to make a difference to the Indian society. It traces the way the actor has managed to handle varied issues such as female foeticide, child abuse, honour killing and the caste system.
Aamir is the fourth Bollywood actor to be on the cover of the Asian edition of Time. The other three stars who have made it are Parveen Babi in the July 1976 edition, Aishwarya Rai-Bachchan in 2003 and Shah Rukh Khan in October 2004. Other Indians who have graced the cover of the magazine include Indira Gandhi, Rajiv Gandhi, Narendra Modi, Sachin Tendulkar, Sania Mirza and Manmohan Singh.
The magazine refers to Satyamev Jayate as a prominent show that discussed the menaces in Indian society.

'Khan has taken on the mantle of the country's first superstar-activist,' the report in the magazine states. 'The solution has to start with me, with every individual. After all, if these terrible things are happening in my society, then I have a share of the blame, because I've done nothing to stop them. A solution can only begin to appear once I accept it's my fault and then you accept that it's partly your fault and a third person (does that), and a fourth person,' Aamir is quoted in the interview to Time.
'Critics state that Khan's prescriptions are no more substantive than a fatherly lecture on morals,' notes the article. 'I am not a journalist, I'm a storyteller,' Aamir said in reaction to all the criticism. 'I can make you angry, sad, happy"¦ that's my skill set.'
Time magazine observes that the format of the show borrows from US confessional shows, leading inevitably to comparisons with the Oprah Winfrey show. But the similarity is superficial, at best. 'Unlike Oprah Winfrey, Khan doesn't give his audience a break with digressions into health advice, cooking tips or celebrity interviews,' states the Time report.
'The world of Satyamev Jayate is too full of serious trouble to allow for the respite of a low-fat cooking recipe,' it adds.

Another worth a read Article : Why Aamir's Time cover isn't a big deal | Firstpost

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
^^What absolute BS. Does Time know that Aamir charges 1.25 crore per episode? Hell, I'll do the show for 1/10th of that money.

If he was really serious about the causes he talks about on the show, he would have been ashamed to charge exorbitant amounts for hosting it. What a joke that show and Aamir have turned into!

ani82v

Country flag
Whenever any body appears or gets mentioned in Times or Economist we start jumping as we have landed on moon. Is it inferiority complex?
Entire media goes gung ho about this. I don't know when will people realize that its just a ----ing magazine.

Tronic

^^What absolute BS. Does Time know that Aamir charges 1.25 crore per episode? Hell, I'll do the show for 1/10th of that money.

If he was really serious about the causes he talks about on the show, he would have been ashamed to charge exorbitant amounts for hosting it. What a joke that show and Aamir have turned into!
If Amir doesn't get paid, what difference will that make, except for making the producers richer? Why wouldn't he charge money for the show?

Jim Street

Country flag
He used his popularity and fan following for betterment of our society. He rescheduled his dates regarding his movies etc. I also think the points raised by other social activists that people didn't listen to them while Amir gets more publicity. I think these social activists should present their work according to pulse and psyche of our nation. Collaborate with Bollywood even BCCI if they can, with any industry which can bring their work in lime light.

Having said that, we should lament our media and stop watching those channels which shows saas bahu endings, cows taken by aliens :D

Oracle

I like this guy. I would like him more if he becomes as generous as Salman Khan for donating money to orphans and charities. Maybe he does, I don't know.

Jim Street

Country flag
Whenever any body appears or gets mentioned in Times or Economist we start jumping as we have landed on moon. Is it inferiority complex?
Entire media goes gung ho about this. I don't know when will people realize that its just a ----ing magazine.
Point....we shouldn't think of Oscars, Noble, etc. I mean they are ----ing Prizes and gold statue in first case and 1 million dollars in latter case. This soft power of India is OVER-RATED I think..

Why encourage people to do something positive for our country and give them wide publicity. I mean entire concept of encouraging such people is idiotic.

We should rather indulge in criticizing other people than bickering about other problems which never lead to any change instead of supporting these initiatives.

We need more articles and works for increasing discontent and frustration among people rather than setting an example that if we try to do something for our country, people will recognize us and we will become famous.

Why create positive sentiments among people which attracts investment etc.

Anna Hazzare may get on face of TIME magazine . But who cares about our global image.

P.S. Kindly put on Sarcasm Glasses.:D

ani82v

Country flag
Point....we shouldn't think of Oscars, Noble, etc. I mean they are ----ing Prizes and gold statue in first case and 1 million dollars in latter case. This soft power of India is OVER-RATED I think..

Why encourage people to do something positive for our country and give them wide publicity. I mean entire concept of encouraging such people is idiotic.

We should rather indulge in criticizing other people than bickering about other problems which never lead to any change instead of supporting these initiatives.

We need more articles and works for increasing discontent and frustration among people rather than setting an example that if we try to do something for our country, people will recognize us and we will become famous.

Why create positive sentiments among people which attracts investment etc.

Anna Hazzare may get on face of TIME magazine . But who cares about our global image.

P.S. Kindly put on Sarcasm Glasses.:D
People get encouragement to do good by getting mentioned in Times??

We are fooled into thinking that Indians in Time magazine helps boost India's soft power.

What is actually happening is we are sucked in America's soft power by considering them as gold standard of accomplishments! And we are co-opted into American Universalism slowly and surely.

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
What is actually happening is we are sucked in America's soft power by considering them as gold standard of accomplishments! And we are co-opted into American Universalism slowly and surely.
+1 . . . .Have to agree with this

KS

Bye bye DFI
That is not a today, yesterday phenomenon..even at the height of the NAM/Coldwar on a individual level, for an Indian, America would be pinnacle of accomplishment.

Jim Street

Country flag
People get encouragement to do good by getting mentioned in Times??

We are fooled into thinking that Indians in Time magazine helps boost India's soft power.

Try to understand the basic point of recognition and reward based policies. Instead of taking isolated case Time magazine.

Don't we recognize our activists, sportsmen and award them.

look around you, thousands of people who want to be famous. Mumbai is full of people who want to FAME. Look at Roadies running for so long, thousands of Indian youth going mad about it. So many dance competitions, singing competition which even pushes children, are still running because of people who want to make their own place in India and get famous along with earning money.

It doesn't matter what pushes a person to do something good for society as long as he/she produces positive results and get rid of many social problems.

Its not just about single news of TIME magazine. Its all about psyche of Indian people and how to pursued them to do at least something for the society. Its the selfish nature of majority of Indian people especially the indifference regarding social issues which can be utilized for national benefit.

If it requires using people's desire for fame, so be it. I don't care if one person in India gets $ 1 million (equal amount of Noble Prize) in field of Science, Medicine, Economic, Peace etc.as long as he/she saver thousands of new born babies (female), educating thousand of people through his/her NGO, providing knowledge to women to start home industries with Micro-financing, to scientists who opted to stay in our country just to make our nation progress and list goes on.

There are prizes already given to these people, just do it more.

So buddy, its more of psychological, sociological and philosophical issue.

Last edited:

Oracle

The things is, is it bad? If so, how is it bad?

Jim Street

Country flag
+1 . . . .Have to agree with this
Take your pick of which gold standard of America we should accept. As far as science, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Medicines, accept their standard.

Take Fields medal as a standard for mathematicians as our standard.

Instead of rejecting entirely, look for positive things and inculcate in our system. Don't accept them completely. By taking best out of every country in each field, we can progress faster to catch up to them otherwise we will always remain behind.

Last edited:

Cliff@sea

C'est la vie
Country flag
Take your pick of which gold standard of America we should accept. As far as science, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Medicines, accept their standard.

Take Fields medal as a standard for mathematicians as our standard.

Instead of rejecting entirely, look for positive things and inculcate in our system. Don't accept them completely. By taking best out of every country in each field, we can progress faster to catch up to them otherwise we will always remain behind.
What i'll definitely not accept is them deciding for us , what is or what is not commendable in our society

or what social values are to be at the forefront.

Ultimately Amir is their on the cover as an icon of Capitalism, masquerading as a social reformer

If accomplishments in social reform was the yardstick chosen, then surely India had much better contenders.

Achievements in sciences are universal in nature . . .and It doesn't matter where the acclaim comes from.

Last edited:

Jim Street

Country flag
What i'll definitely not accept is them deciding for us , what is or what is not commendable in our society

or anything that influences our social values .

Achievements in sciences are universal in nature . . .and It doesn't matter where the acclaim comes from.
Where they decided for us. They saw his work and thought to mention him. They even mentioned an IAS officer for his honesty and his work in the past. (I think he was later involved corruption).

Fine, don't let anything that influences our social values. Get isolated and introduce laws, censorship of media etc like Iran, China, KSA. Every year the total money earned by Hollywood is increasing. They are releasing movies at the same time they release in their own country.

I couldn't thought of that back in 2000. MTV, V channel, Star movies, HBO etc, all have penetrated in middle and higher class of our population and social values are changing.

For example, people who daily touch their parents feet, I think will find more than 50% elder people appreciating it. Are we really passing social values to our next generation or putting blame on America? (It sounds like logic used by Pakistani people regarding Indian channels and Bollywood.This is matter of another discussion)

Coming to achievement of sciences, your argument doesn't make sense. So Einstein, Newton, Bohr, Faraday etc should not be respected or awarded I mean they just found that already was present their.

If you go to heaven, shout at him that "Hey Einstein, I don't care about your E=MC^2 equation, it was already true before you put it in equations. You are no genius":thumb:

Last edited:

ani82v

Country flag
Try to understand the basic point of recognition and reward based policies. Instead of taking isolated case Time magazine.

Don't we recognize our activists, sportsmen and award them.

look around you, thousands of people who want to be famous. Mumbai is full of people who want to FAME. Look at Roadies running for so long, thousands of Indian youth going mad about it. So many dance competitions, singing competition which even pushes children, are still running because of people who want to make their own place in India and get famous along with earning money.

It doesn't matter what pushes a person to do something good for society as long as he/she produces positive results and get rid of many social problems.

Its not just about single news of TIME magazine. Its all about psyche of Indian people and how to pursued them to do at least something for the society. Its the selfish nature of majority of Indian people especially the indifference regarding social issues which can be utilized for national benefit.

If it requires using people's desire for fame, so be it. I don't care if one person in India gets $ 1 million (equal amount of Noble Prize) in field of Science, Medicine, Economic, Peace etc.as long as he/she saver thousands of new born babies (female), educating thousand of people through his/her NGO, providing knowledge to women to start home industries with Micro-financing, to scientists who opted to stay in our country just to make our nation progress and list goes on.

There are prizes already given to these people, just do it more.

So buddy, its more of psychological, sociological and philosophical issue.
You can arrive at this conclusion only after a superficial look at the situation.

People who go for extra mile for fame would be like Paris Hilton, Kim Kardashian, Poonam Pandey and Sherlyn Chopra etc etc and shit people you see on Roadies.

The people who really want to do stuff are already doing it for the real motivation of doing it is personal conviction.

The fact that they are not recognized is because our system does not reward them with social equity which it should and that is because we are still a developing society. We have not many Olympic winners, not many inventors and real researchers to speak of, not many sportsmen to idolize is because the priority of society are not such. We as a people are still in survival mode in our instincts.

We can not copy these noble values by emulation for they will be rootless and will wither away over time. These can only be evolved and cultivated over a period of time and I would give it more time than taking short cuts.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles