300 Chinese Foxconn Workers 'Threaten Mass Suicide' At XBox Plan

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I said the robots at Foxconn are to be made in Taiwan, Taichung Central Taiwan Science Park to be exact.

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/local/taichung/2011/10/30/321369/Hon-Hai.htm

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It is rather unfortunate that while the owners rake in massive profits, they treat their workers shabbily.

But why resort to these activities. Can't the labour protest and do a tool down strike instead?

Or are strikes not allowed by law?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
In this case, I do not see Chinese government threaten to shoot those workers? In fact, I only see you said in previous reply that " As I said the govt should shoot them 300 , they are just cockroaches that be replaced. ". I do understand your desire in killing innocent people as your comment suggested that you are a sadist. However, branding your desire on other may not be so good.

Yes, it is fact that no national laws applicable to CCP since there is no separation of judicial system. However, in this case, I do not see government's interest in killing hundreds of innocent people.

It is indeed pathetic and tragic that a man can be so sick and wick to believe that people are cockroaches to be killed and replace. I do pity you and wonder how one can make sadist comment and proudly defending it to the end.
I don't think the answer is to shoot people and I don't think that the Govt will do so since it will only add to the discontent and things may go out of hand as it happened recently in a Chinese village over land.

That said, the Chinese Govt should think out some guidelines where the labour's right is protected and their pay and perks are dictated by the reality of the economic progress.

Or does the Chinese Govt have such guidelines already in place?

anoop_mig25

Country flag
China will lose some manufacture job in coming decade. At least my family's company no longer add any labor in the line for 2 or 3 years. We begin to replace workers with automated machine that cost much lower now... According to our calculation, the machine is equivalent to labor at wage of 3000 rmb. That is not accounting the fact machine producing more consistent quality. One workers can managed 8 machines. I can foresee a day a large lay-off of textile workers in China as wage continue to rise.
then who will china export its product which are still now dependent on mass production plus low wage

mylegend

I don't think the answer is to shoot people and I don't think that the Govt will do so since it will only add to the discontent and things may go out of hand as it happened recently in a Chinese village over land.

That said, the Chinese Govt should think out some guidelines where the labour's right is protected and their pay and perks are dictated by the reality of the economic progress.

Or does the Chinese Govt have such guidelines already in place?
Guideline exist, whether or not to enforce is depending on the the altitude of local government.

mylegend

I said the robots at Foxconn are to be made in Taiwan, Taichung Central Taiwan Science Park to be exact.

Hon Hai launches robot factory in Taichung - The China Post
"industry insiders said that the intelligent technology park will generate an overall production value of NT$120 billion a year three to five years later, and create at least 2,000 job opportunities..."

I acknowledge robot are indeed being built in Taiwan too, so does other Foxconn plant also locate in Taiwan. However, What I want to state is many robots are also manufactured in the mainland. The number 4 billion USD a year does not account for entire Foxconn. Also, it take time to pick up capacity, within the time gap, it is the job of local government to think of way to replace jobs that being lost.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
If workers welfare is undertaken and there are less lax labour laws, wages jump a little, then why should any one produce in China ?? It is profit through exploitation of workers under communist regime that is the greatest incentive and profit maker.

Long live Mao Tse Tung and his capitalist communism.

nimo_cn

Country flag
If workers welfare is undertaken and there are less lax labour laws, wages jump a little, then why should any one produce in China ?? It is profit through exploitation of workers under communist regime that is the greatest incentive and profit maker.

Long live Mao Tse Tung and his capitalist communism.
Don't worry, they are gonna move to India to tap the cheap Indian workforce.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Moving from China to India, Vietnam and Emerging Asia

Book summary

As costs in China begin to rise, an increasing number of companies are looking at either relocating, or considering moving part of their facilities to lower cost markets in Asia. This makes sense, China as a consumer market is beginning to become wealthier, while the lower production costs available elsewhere make sense for supplying the global market.

In this special report we take a look at the operational costs of a typical factory in South China, and make comparisons between these are similar operations in India and Vietnam. We also take a look at Indochina – home to even cheaper labor, and additionally examine the legal and tax positions of China, India and Vietnam, looking at where future policies concerning attracting FDI are heading.

As this new century moves onto its second decade, it is apparent that the rise of China has spurred other regional economies forward. With that comes choice, and I hope that the contents within this report will enable the Asia based executive to begin to consider markets beyond that of China's borders. The opportunities are there.

Moving from China to India, Vietnam and Emerging Asia - It's Free! : Asia Briefing Bookstore, Doing Business In Asia Resources

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
India, Vietnam Becoming Cheaper China Alternatives

Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2011 by 2point6billion.com

Sept. 13 – The days of getting the cheapest stuff made in China are coming to an end. The increase in wages resulting from China's effort to promote social security among all of its 1.3 billion people, coupled with the surge in property prices, is making the market a less ideal option for low-cost manufacturing.

Instead of China, other countries such as India and Vietnam are beginning to become more attractive alternatives where costs of manufacturing operations appear to be much lower. Chris Devonshire-Ellis, principal of Dezan Shira & Associates, recently calculated and compared the manufacturing costs in the three countries during an interview with South Africa's largest weekly newspaper The Sunday Times.

According to Devonshire-Ellis, if an employer based in China's Dongguan hires about 300 workers, and pays off various monthly overheads such as welfare costs and rental, his/her annual expenditure will stand at around US$2.28 million. In contrast, a similar type of factory in Vietnam's Ho Chi Minh City will only cost an employer about US$650,400 annually, and the annual operation costs of the same factory in India's Chennai will even be lower at US$345,782.

"It's a big enough gap to consider. It is financially more attractive to manufacture in India than in China," Devonshire-Ellis says.

While the boom of China's manufacturing sector has been widely known as one of the major drivers of the country's strong economic growth, the frequently-heard quality failure stories have also announced the challenges facing the industry. In his book Poorly Made in China, Paul Midler collected a series of challenges he was faced with while working in China's manufacturing sector.

These challenges include stories of last-minute price increases and "quality fade," the process during which cost-cutting measures are sometimes introduced gradually and can only be noticed later – often when it is too late.

Nowadays in China, more business opportunities are residing in the increasingly consumer-driven market as the country's middle class is on the rise. A business person will surely find money to make if he/she can develop the market segment where the wealthier middle class is willing to spend money.

In India's case, businesses will see more opportunities in the country's infrastructure sector. While India may provide great cost effectiveness to manufacturing operations, the country's underdeveloped infrastructure system does not offer the same level of efficiency for the transportation of goods. For example, it takes about eight hours to turn a ship in Shanghai's harbor, but about 20 hours in Mumbai, according to Devonshire-Ellis.

The dire need for better infrastructure is spurring the Indian government to offer attractive public-private partnerships, as well as favorable tax policies, in a bid to attract big-ticket infrastructure investments. Investors will also likely find a wide range of projects on which they can invest, such as projects related to air, rail and road infrastructure improvement.

Vietnam, poised as a member of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and which enjoys a Free Trade Area agreement with the rest of the ASEAN members, is also attracting more and more foreign investors. In addition to sharing a piece of the profits in the local market, investors into Vietnam have also seen the business potential in the whole ASEAN market, whose annual GDP was estimated at US$1.8 trillion last year.

It would also be good news for investors that "ASEAN is expected to sign free trade agreements with China, India, Japan, South Korea and Australia by 2013," says Devonshire-Ellis.

India, Vietnam Becoming Cheaper China Alternatives | 2point6billion.com - Foreign Direct Investment in Asia

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Don't worry, they are gonna move to India to tap the cheap Indian workforce.
The above two posts and reports indicate that you are keeping yourself updated.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
If you download that pdf, please upload it. I don't feel like registering with Asia Briefing to get it.

nimo_cn

Country flag
The above two posts and reports indicate that you are keeping yourself updated.
well, that just makes me laugh when I review all of those cheap talks by Indians about Chinese sweatshops. It seems that India is gonna embrace those sweatshops, whereas our Indian fellows are celebrating it.

Isn't that ironical?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
well, that just makes me laugh when I review all of those cheap talks by Indians about Chinese sweatshops. It seems that India is gonna embrace those sweatshops, whereas our Indian fellows are celebrating it.

Isn't that ironical?
The last laugh will not be yours. So have a good laugh while you can!

The newsreports and the Book are enough to tell you that one is not reading the tea leaves!

nimo_cn

Country flag
The last laugh will not be yours. So have a good laugh while you can!

The newsreports and the Book are enough to tell you that one is not reading the tea leaves!
If you mean India wins by having those sweatshops, and China is gonna lose for not having them, then I must say you are more shallow than I expected in this regard.

China has been running those sweatshops long enough and now it is time to relinquish them. The environment is spoiled, air is polluted, health is poisoned, workers are pressured to suicide, if we don't get rid of the low-end manufacturing and upgrade the industry, we are doomed.

China can't and won't count on those sweatshops to propel our economy for ever. They are gonna move away from China either because they can't profit anymore in China or because CPC doesn't allow them to exploit Chinese anymore. Anyway, we have expected that to happen, and have been preparing ourselves for that.

If Chinese economy unfortunately collapsed just because the lost of those sweapshops, I am gonna say we have no one to blame but ourselves because it means we are just a group of losers. So I am not that concerned by the shifts of sweatshops.

The only purpose of me commenting on this thread is to show the hypocrisy of Indians, when the sweatshops are stationed in China, Indian members laught at Chinese for being exploited. Now they are shifting to India, our Indian friends don't hesitate to embrace them. Your attitude towards the sweatshops is shifting more swift than they are shifting to India.

pmaitra

...when the sweatshops are stationed in China, Indian members laught at Chinese for being exploited. Now they are shifting to India, our Indian friends don't hesitate to embrace them. ...
Very good and balanced comment.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If you mean India wins by having those sweatshops, and China is gonna lose for not having them, then I must say you are more shallow than I expected in this regard.
I like your comments. Typical copybook Chinese Communist party whine and protestation with pseudo morality!

Well actually one has to come down to the level of the person being addressed and hence you may feel I have achieved it when you use the word 'shallow'. I am glad you have understood since you failed to do so before inspite of best efforts.

However, I would state that the two posts were newsreports and a summary of a Book. You feel that they are shallow? Their readers don't or else the newspaper and the book would not sell, which they are doing.

Sweatshop or not, China made good money and now, with the world economy in the dumps, China will lose its golden goose which it killed because of greed!

It does justify your pent up anguish that you attempt to hide under pseudo moral mishmash.

China has been running those sweatshops long enough and now it is time to relinquish them. The environment is spoiled, air is polluted, health is poisoned, workers are pressured to suicide, if we don't get rid of the low-end manufacturing and upgrade the industry, we are doomed.
Realisation has come now? The same agonising realisation seems to have been locked up in the fat burgeoning bank accounts till now! Why this sudden moral awakening?

A case of sour grapes?

China can't and won't count on those sweatshops to propel our economy for ever. They are gonna move away from China either because they can't profit anymore in China or because CPC doesn't allow them to exploit Chinese anymore. Anyway, we have expected that to happen, and have been preparing ourselves for that.
Preparing yourself and you had known it coming?

Worked for Punch?

China did count on such 'sweatshop' to propel its economy. How come a sudden change of heart? If they were 'sweatshops' and could not be counted on, why did you bank on them so far?

Any new pseudo moral somersault in your kitty to pander?

If Chinese economy unfortunately collapsed just because the lost of those sweapshops, I am gonna say we have no one to blame but ourselves because it means we are just a group of losers. So I am not that concerned by the shifts of sweatshops.
Industry is shifting. Industry is sweatshops? Maybe they were of sweatshop conditions in China given the poor pay and working conditions.

Notwithstanding your high moral grandstanding, the shoe has surely pinched or else you would not have got worked up in your replies earlier or replying in this post with such platitudinous pith.

The only purpose of me commenting on this thread is to show the hypocrisy of Indians, when the sweatshops are stationed in China, Indian members laught at Chinese for being exploited. Now they are shifting to India, our Indian friends don't hesitate to embrace them. Your attitude towards the sweatshops is shifting more swift than they are shifting to India.
Industry, if you will, is not sweatshops? Nor are the conditions in India comparable. The fact that workers do not threaten mass suicide in India is proof enough. Only helpless slaves resort to threats that they will commit mass suicide as is happening in China.

So spare us your pseudo moral grandstanding and instead keep focussed on the facts.

Last edited:

nimo_cn

Country flag
I like your comments. Typical copybook Chinese Communist party whine and protestation with pseudo morality!
Huh, whenever you are feeling helpless to refute Chinese memebers, you attempt to discount our opinions by accusing us of parroting CPC. You seem incapable of making a decent arguement without mentioning CPC, your crush on CPC is indeed revocable.

By the way, I wasn't whining about sweatshops leaving China, if there was any whine from my side, it is about the double standards practised by Indians like you, something like low-end manufacturing in China is sweatshop, but in India it is INDUSTRY.

Well actually one has to come down to the level of the person being addressed and hence you may feel I have achieved it when you use the word 'shallow'. I am glad you have understood since you failed to do so before inspite of best efforts.

However, I would state that the two posts were newsreports and a summary of a Book. You feel that they are shallow? Their readers don't or else the newspaper and the book would not sell, which they are doing.
I wasn't saying the newsreports were shallow. On the contrary, I totally agree the point made by the newreports, that low-end manufacturing is moving from China to India because Indian labor force are cheaper.

I think you to be shallow because you believe India is gonna win by gaining sweatshops(INDUSTRY, your word) from China. I am not sure if the last laugh belongs to Chinese, but I am too damn sure that counting on what is shifting to India won't get China anywhere.

Sweatshop or not, China made good money and now, with the world economy in the dumps, China will lose its golden goose which it killed because of greed!

It does justify your pent up anguish that you attempt to hide under pseudo moral mishmash.
Indeed, Chinese made good money out of those sweatshops, I guess that is why you cursed them when they were in China but embrace them with all of your heart when they are moving to India.

If China made any mistake with those sweatshops, I think China is revising it by making sweatshops harder to profit in China, whereas India is repeating it by convincing them to reside in India.

Realisation has come now? The same agonising realisation seems to have been locked up in the fat burgeoning bank accounts till now! Why this sudden moral awakening?
It is not moral awakening, we are just pragmatic.

Being home to sweatshops is a certain phase that countries like China must go through, but we never intend to stay at that phase forever. No doubt it won't be easy to climb to a higher phase, but it is the only option we have got.

A case of sour grapes?
No sour grapes from our side, what you are going to have is just Chinese leftovers, why should we feel jealous? But I guess you must have tasted sour grapes enough times when those sweatshops were in China.

Preparing yourself and you had known it coming?

Worked for Punch?
Punch from whom? From the cheap Indians who are gonna end up in sweatshops? I think we have been expecting that.

By providing relatively sufficent education to most Chinese people, China doesn't intend to prepare them for jobs in sweatshops, because those jobs don't requre you to be well educated. When China decided to implement the family planning policy in 1970s, which would cause a foreseeable shortage of labor force, China had rule out sweatshop as a long-term option.

Speaking of that, I am wondering if India had a agenda long time ago to lure those sweatshops into India by having the largest illiterate population of any nation on earth as it is happenning today. In that case, I do amdire India for their dedicate strategy because obviouly it is working.

China did count on such 'sweatshop' to propel its economy. How come a sudden change of heart? If they were 'sweatshops' and could not be counted on, why did you bank on them so far?

Any new pseudo moral somersault in your kitty to pander?
I never denied the contribution the sweatshops had done to Chinese economy, neither did I deny the devastation they brought into China. We counted on sweatshops because it is a phase we must go through; we want to get rid of the sweatshops because no country will have a real prosperity by letting others run sweatshops in that country.

We are honest and pragmatic people to admit that we needed sweatshops and have the courage to get rid of them when it is time, unlike Indians who instead of accepting the reality that they need sweatshops as much as China did even if means exploitation of cheap Indian labor force, choose to glorify the sweatshops by giving them another term like INDUSTRY,

Industry is shifting. Industry is sweatshops? Maybe they were of sweatshop conditions in China given the poor pay and working conditions.
This the glorification I have been talking about. Sweatshops suddenly turn into INDUTRY after they are moved to India, hilarious.

Poor pay and working conditions in China? Why are the sweatshops moving to India? To pay higher wage and provide better working conditions to Indians?

Come on, the only reason they are moving to India is just because Chinese won't work for them with the salary they are offering, but Indians will. Indians won't get anything better than what Chinese have got, but worse.

Like I said, you are just too proud to admit that Indians are cheaper.

Notwithstanding your high moral grandstanding, the shoe has surely pinched or else you would not have got worked up in your replies earlier or replying in this post with such platitudinous pith.
Tell me why did you give me such a long reply? Did I hit a nerve or what?
I am looking forward to another long long reply from you, lecturing us on the INDUSTRY shifting from China to India.

Industry, if you will, is not sweatshops? Nor are the conditions in India comparable. The fact that workers do not threaten mass suicide in India is proof enough. Only helpless slaves resort to threats that they will commit mass suicide as is happening in China.
Sweatshops, if you will, become INDUSTRY? When?

Keep on glorifying the sweatshops in India, they will thank you for your free advertisement while expoiting your people.
So spare us your pseudo moral grandstanding and instead keep focussed on the facts.
The fact is they are moving to India because Indians are cheaper, which seems too hard for you to digest.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Nimo,

I am neither delighted nor unhappy if commerce flees China.

If it flees China, it is because of faulty policies and GREED.

No amount of lame moralising will change the reality!

Commerce and industry relocates to where it is cheaper for production.

China provided cheap options and so industry left their established bases and homed onto China. So, what is your lament that industry is coming to India because it is cheaper to produce?

Great logic!

My long posts are not for you alone. it is for others too, who have not followed your weird logic that requires to be put in its correct perspective.

Like the comment that India is cheap!

As if China was an expensive option, but the US and other manufacturers came to China because it was heaven or that they were duty bound to lift a Communist morass from the doldrums of agony!

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles