10 lakh paramilitary jawans to get bulletproof headgear

Lions Of Punjab

Country flag
NEW DELHI: The 10-lakh strong paramilitary has a heavy burden of duties: defending the borders, ducking bullets from Maoists in steaming jungles or facing mobs of stone pelters like in Jammu and Kashmir. That requires a cool head and a light, tough helmet to protect it. Something more sophisticated than the 1.5-2 kg helmet or patka that these jawans are used to.

The paramilitary forces for the first time set are to be equipped with high-tech, bulletproof, combat helmets of the kind used by the US forces. Home minister Rajnath Singh has given approval to procure "light-weight bullet resistant helmets" which will not only protect against gun shots to the head, injuries from stone pelting and neck injuries, but will also increase the efficiency of the personnel. They are expected to ease the strain on jawans as these helmets can withstand 7.62 mm and 9 mm bullets, even when fired from a distance of just 20 meters. The shape of the helmet will allow troops to mount handsets of communication equipment like walkie-talkies, or night vision cameras, torches and other devices. For long, the jawans have been sent on combat duties without this basic safety requirement.

The 3.5 lakh strong Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) has just 2,000 bulletproof headgears. BSF, which has 2.5 lakh men, has been making do with 500 protective helmets for the ground troops while performing duties on the sensitive Indo-Pak and Indo-Bangladesh borders.

The government has admitted that there is a 98% shortage of bulletproof helmets in the paramilitary forces. Sources say Singh has discarded "financial" concerns voiced by bureaucrats. A senior government official told on condition of anonymity that "there would be huge financial burden on the exchequer in this purchase but home minister has made it clear that security of jawans comes first".

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...bulletproof-headgear/articleshow/53361678.cms

rishivashista13

Country flag
Good news .
Are they Indian made ? Or will be imported ?

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk

Immanuel

Country flag
Good news .
Are they Indian made ? Or will be imported ?

No way for import, the order probably goes to MKU at kanpur which has one of the largest if not the largest installed capacity for all kinds of armors products in the world.

http://www.mku.com/Helmet.aspx

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
Pipe dream.

tejas warrior

Country flag
No way for import, the order probably goes to MKU at kanpur which has one of the largest if not the largest installed capacity for all kinds of armors products in the world.

Yes, Infact MKU & TATAs are exporting these all around the world.. But somehow Indian Army do not find them upto the mark. Mr. Parikar must look into this urgently.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Assuming one BPJ is around 30k, and home ministry would purchase 3 lakh BPJ. The cost would be 900 crores, not sure if such a budget is available with home ministry.

Now it would be up to arun Jaitley to approve the budget.

But somehow I have my doubts whether we would see any Movement on tenders before 2018.

rishivashista13

Country flag

Great ! I checked the link .
If we have such technology in our country we should provide it to our armed forces . They have many useful things also other then helmets .

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
Para military means? CRPF or BSF
The only Paramilitary forces are the Assam Rifles and the SFF. All the others including BSF, CRPF etc are CPOs (Central Police Organizations). That clueless reporter should have known the difference before spewing nonsense.

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag
The only Paramilitary forces are the Assam Rifles and the SFF. All the others including BSF, CRPF etc are CPOs (Central Police Organizations). That clueless reporter should have known the difference before spewing nonsense.
Orionhunter?

Sent from my XT1022 using Tapatalk

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Indian Armour Ballistic Helmets are manufactured using fine material and are rigorously tested for durability, rugged use and protection against Ballistic threats.

I feel proud when these Companies with little resources come up with such products.
Gods knows what could happen if even a shred of gov budget is allocated to these folks.

Companies like MKU, Tonbo, L & T and Kalyani are a testament of Indias private defence potential.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles