T-90 mass confusion

AUSTERLITZ

Country flag
Thanks for the link,i already follow trishul blog.But p.sengupta though very informative sometimes overstates things.

AUSTERLITZ

Country flag
Wrong, "Kaktus" was experimental ERA for Object 640 which is a dead project. "Armata" will use new type of protection, it is not even certain it will use ERA, because NII Stali, institute that developes armor protection, want to completely replace ERA with new type of reactive armor without explosive filler.
But kaktus was said to be superior to even relikt?Black eagle mbt had kaktus yes.You're saying russians developing even superior armour?

Damian

But kaktus was said to be superior to even relikt?Black eagle mbt had kaktus yes.You're saying russians developing even superior armour?
How do you know that "Kaktus" was superior? Do you know test results?

"Black Eagle" is a name created by some people, seriously, is it that hard to understand, that in Russia, the only official codename for prototypes are GABTU created designations? So not "Black Eagle" but Object 640, the only exception are new platforms as they had their codenames of new style, "Armata", "Kurganets" and "Boomerang", perhaps Russians want to stop using old soviet designation system?

You're saying russians developing even superior armour?
Not nececary superior, different.

WMD

when it came to the planned procurement of 1,657 T-90s (to replace the 1,781 T-55 and T-72M MBTs in a phased manner), it was decided to adopt a product block developmental approach similar to what by then was being planned for the Indian Air Force's Su-30MKI procurement exercise. Consequently, in February 2001, India bought its first batch of 310 47.5-tonne 47.5-tonne T-90S MBTs worth US$795 million, of which 124 were delivered off-the-shelf, 86 in semi-knocked down kits (for licenced-assembly by the MoD-owned HVF in Avadi), and 100 in completely-knocked down kits (all these MBTs were retrofitted with Saab's IDAS radar/laser warning system and LEDS-150 active protection system, or APS, worth Rs25 billion between 2009 and 2011). This was followed by a follow-on contract, worth $800 million (or Rs175 million per unit), being inked on October 26, 2006, for another 330 T-90M MBTs that were to be built with locally-sourced raw materials and also come fitted with LEDS-150 APS. The third contract, worth $1.23 billion (which was inclusive of the R & D funds required for designing a customised version of the T-90 , was inked in December 2007 for 347 upgraded T-90Ms, which are now being licence-built by HVF. These T-90Ms each come with a THALES-built Catherine-FC thermal imager (operating in the 8-12 micron bandwidth and housed within the Peleng-built 1G-46 gunner's sight), the commander's panoramic sight (which houses the Matis-STD thermal imager that operates in the 3-5 micron bandwidth and which has also been selected for the Arjun Mk1 MBT's panoramic sight), an automatic gearbox, an electro-hydraulic turret-drive-cum stabilisation system, and most importantly, has a 2A46M-5 Rapira smoothbore main gun barrel that also comes fitted with a muzzle reference system.

While all the enhancements featured on the T-90M will also be found on the T-90AM, the latter will, among other things, incorporate a totally new redesigned turret that will now house a remote-controlled weapon station, an independent commander's panoramic sight and gunner's sight, a rear-mounted ammunition reserve stowage bustle and its autoloader (thereby doing away with the much-criticised earlier location alongside the carousel autoloader on the turret's floor and enabling the stowage of single-unit FSAPDS rounds containing long-rod kinetic energy penetrators which the T-90S and T-90M cannot fire at the moment), and redesigned modular armour tiles. The hull-section, housing the driver's and gunner's compartments, will be equipped with a battlespace management terminal, fibre-optic gyro-based land navigation system, software-defined radio suite, health-and-usage management systems for on-board diagnosis of the MBT's vectronics and automotive elements—all these being selected and furnished by the customer (in India's case) to Uralvagonzavod for on-board fitment-cum-integration. Also to be furnished by India for integration is the active protection suite (APS), for which the LEDS-150 is competing with the Iron First APS (already installed on board the Arjun Mk2 MBT) from Israel Military Industries.

FROM VARIOUS SOURCES IN THE WEB
could you post the link abt the LEDS-150 APS operational in IA T-90s.

AUSTERLITZ

Country flag
I got some data on force magazine article here...
A new twist to the T-90 saga
unfortunately i'm not registered so can't read full story.It does say leds-150 was retrofitted on the initial 310 models.don't know abt rest.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Don't follow Mr Sengupta, Info that greatly coz he assumes facts and those are not real facts always..

WMD

I got some data on force magazine article here...
A new twist to the T-90 saga
unfortunately i'm not registered so can't read full story.It does say leds-150 was retrofitted on the initial 310 models.don't know abt rest.
the article whose link u posted actually says that, LEDS-150 APS is fitted on all the T-90 tanks of IA,
from the link.
Consequently, in February 2001, India bought its first batch of 310 47.5-tonne 47.5-tonne T-90S MBTs worth USD 795 million, of which 124 were delivered off-the-shelf, 86 in semi-knocked down kits for licenced-assembly by the MoD-owned Heavy Vehicles Factory (HVF) in Avadi, and 100 in completely-knocked down kits (all these MBTs were retrofitted with Saab's IDAS radar/laser warning system and LEDS-150 active protection system, or APS, worth Rs 25 billion between 2009 and 2011). This was followed by a follow-on contract, worth USD 800 million (or Rs175 million per unit), being inked on 26 October 2006, for another 330 T-90M MBTs that were to be built with locally-sourced raw materials and also come fitted with LEDS-150 APS.
While all the enhancements featured on the T-90M will also be found on the T-90AM
@AVERAGE INDIAN copied the entire article without mentioning Sengupta's name(or the link).
the T-90AM, if such a designation actually exist, seems gr8. IA currently operates around 800 tanks, the T-90AM being the latest version weighing 50 tons, is now produced by HVF.. So around 150 T-90AM currently in IA service.
only problem is, as @Kunal Biswas said, sometimes Sengupta's info is factually wrong. besides the article I found no mention of APS in IA T-90s anywhere else. just that SAAB won the contract in 2009.

Last edited by a moderator:

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
could you post the link abt the LEDS-150 APS operational in IA T-90s.
@ WMD i got the info from four web sites i took what is necessary one is like you mentioned it is from sengupta, bharath rakshak , , Force magazine and military photos thats the reason i mentioned from various web sources i never said it my own reason AUSTERLITZ is lifting all the links , data and posted in paki defence forum that is the reason i did'nt give the links

proof - http://www.-----------/forums/land-warfare/235713-russia-s-t-90-tank-winner-loser.html

Last edited:

SilentKiller

Country flag
can we get count of t-90 tanks in IA?

for past 5 yrs we have been reading about same count 600 tanks.....

Patriot

Country flag
Kya Austin ji :rofl:

Just basic T90 tank with ERA, no APU, No anti tank counter measures, no AC, missile firing old capability that is all.
Even than IA is loving it because it is Ru$$ian T-90 & with luv from Ru$$ia. IA thinks this vanilla is better than Arjuns and making Russians rich.

Austin

I think LWS will be there on Bhishma else they wont know if its being ranged and fire their aerosal as countermeasures etc

Dejawolf

I think LWS will be there on Bhishma else they wont know if its being ranged and fire their aerosal as countermeasures etc
it's not there in any of the pictures i've seen. it can be identified by 4 square lumps with circular holes, 2 above gun tube, 1 behind TC cupola, and one behind gunners hatch.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles