OBOR News & Developments

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
I don't know why you're throwing a fit, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tata_Daewoo
yeah ! yore right .... it was a fit
basically if you read his orig post it was not specific whether the Indian conglomerates purchased just the motor divisions or what

i should have merely asked him for clarification instead of getting a fit for it
my mistake , my apology , thanks for being kind about it
im gonna go for some better meditation to control the emotions ..... it's for my own benefit

yes madam TATA motors had completed the acquisition of Daewoo Commercial Vehicle Company Limited (DWCV), Korea. in 2004 , DWCV is a wholly owned subsidiary of Tata Motors .

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB107710476004532564

...............and SsangYong Motors is a subsidiary of Mahindra & Mahindra Limited since 2011.............Mahindra has 70% shares of SsangYong Motors.
http://www.ibtimes.com/mahindra-buys-ssangyong-motor-464-mln-248768

and why hard to believe ??
[/user]
my fault
i should have merely asked you for confirmation and specifics
to be fair , if you check your original post the language is vague
nevertheless my apology to your Sir
and thanks for being a gentleman !
now off to my emotional control meditation class - better get a hold of it otherwise it will get me into trouble !
yaar @roma do me a favor and quit tagging me in your threads. bura mat manna please.
ok will do , sorry for inconvenience

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
abey gandu ... hindi bolni seekh le pehele.. phir India ke defence forum mein akar baat kiya kar... bc .. jo tuney likha hai samjh to na araha humey.. chal 9 do 11 ho ja..
@rizwan78 : bhai sahab, if you think DFI is bad, your PDF is 100 times worse. I've been banned five different times there. There will be a thread being super racist against Indians and I will go there and make a slight joke against Pakistanis and bam! Everybody gets their panties in a twist and bans me :p If you want to give, learn to take as well

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
i should have merely asked him for clarification instead of getting a fit for it
my mistake , my apology , thanks for being kind about it
im gonna go for some better meditation to control the emotions ..... it's for my own benefit
No need to apologize yaar, sometimes I feel like throwing my laptop out of the window while interacting with certain people on this forum :p

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
i banned from PDF coz i posted a post about baloochistan and its pissed them off.so you understand what is mentality level in PDF.
Besides other types of trolling, PDF is far more sensitive for Balochistan. Even if you say a humble abd rational line about it, you'll be banned.
Kashmir ke propaganda ko toh badh chadhkar karte hain, ab apni baari aayi.toh phat gayi.
:rolleyes:
Anyway, I noticed a recent ban on a member for same issue. I don't know if it was you.

What was your username there?

biswas_k11

Face to Face
Country flag
could you what is it ? how Mr cyrus become serious in defence forum. please i am not getting any thread........

biswas_k11

Face to Face
Country flag
industrial developments and market strategies in middle east,Afghanistan Provinces is need proper managements and india can not do it alone. Indian Industries need support of EU and proper agreement with UNAMA.

3deffect

Country flag
Besides other types of trolling, PDF is far more sensitive for Balochistan. Even if you say a humble abd rational line about it, you'll be banned.
Kashmir ke propaganda ko toh badh chadhkar karte hain, ab apni baari aayi.toh phat gayi.
:rolleyes:
Anyway, I noticed a recent ban on a member for same issue. I don't know if it was you.

What was your username there?
i was ban year ago then i didnt join PDF..coz its sux:bs:

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
Why Pakistan is letting itself get colonised by China

International Monetary Fund's latest warning on CPEC has sent ripples in Pakistan's political class. Soon after the International Monetary Fund (IMF)'s assessment on CPEC, lawmakers from the upper house of Pakistan expressed fear that the CPEC could turn into another East India Company if the country's interests were not actively protected.

Last year in April, Chinese President Xi Jinping rolled out his most ambitious project China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) with the initial investment of 46 billion-dollar. The CPEC investment is one of China's biggest ever outside the country.

Soon after the announcement, Pakistan's Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif said that the $46 billion CPEC would be a "game-changer" for the country as well as for the entire South Asia region. Sharif's statement underlines the geopolitical significance of this project not only for Pakistan but also for the South Asian giant.

But, the first real assessment by an international financial global organization has raised serious doubts about the long-term impact of the Chinese investment in Pakistani economy. IMF has warned in its latest report that the repayment obligations that come with the investment will be serious for the country.

Moreover, Beijing stands to gain more as the CPEC will essentially make it easier for China to import oil, gas and other resources from Middle Eastern countries such as Saudi Arabia and Iran via the port and an extensive land route in Pakistan.

However, Pakistan has got its own share of problems that will force Nawaz Sharif to walkover the IMF's warning and look forward to the Chinese investment. Here's why:

Weak economy
As per the State Bank of Pakistan, country's total foreign debt and liabilities has piled up to Rs 74 trillion, which is a record high in the history of Pakistan. Till 2013, the total debt of the country stood at $61.9 billion, which was the first financial year of Nawaz Sharif's government.

Pakistan badly needs huge foreign investment as the current situation is quite disappointing. The State Bank of Pakistan statistics showed that country's overall foreign private investment (FPI) plunged by 55 per cent to $405.5 million during July-February 2015-16 from $898.3 million in the same period last year.

This drastic decline was due to a massive outflow of $345 million from the equity market during the period. Nawaz Sharif knows that terrorism has severely affected country's prospects of foreign investment. And in such turbulent time, he is in no position to back off from the 46 billion-dollar project which is three times the total FDI Pakistan has got in the last decade.

India's rise
Pakistan's relations with the United States has virtually ebbed over a period of last one decade. And, during the same period India's economy has done fairly well. Last year, India replaced China as the fastest growing major economy in the world.

According to Delhi's Central Statistics Office, India's economic growth is now expected to hit the high of 7.6 per cent in year 2016. India's last year's quarterly growth was in line with expectations at 7.3 per cent which outstripped China's 6.9 per cent.

All troubles aside, India's economic growth could be the most worrying factor. India is one of the biggest purchasers of arms in the world and Pakistan will be deeply worried with its neighbour's military prowess exceeding its own. China also sees partnering with Pakistan as an effective strategy to counter India's rise in the region.

"Much of what we have seen in the strengthened China-Pakistan alignment in the last decade is a reaction to the rise of India. China's move to invest in Pakistan has been purely geopolitical and it's policy has been driven by power political criteria," writes Andrew Small in his book - The China-Pakistan Axis.

Energy crisis

Pakistan has also been gripped by severe energy crisis for some years with parts of the country facing acute electricity shortage. In most of the places electricity cut goes for up to 20 hours a day. The country has an installed electricity capacity of 22,797 megawatts (MW), but production stands at a dismal 12,000 MW. China has announced $34.4 billion for power projects in Pakistan.

Poverty
What is more serious of all is acute poverty in Pakistan. A little less than half the population of Pakistan comes under poverty line. At least four out of 10 Pakistanis are living in acute poverty with the population of Balochistan faring the worst among the provinces. Pakistan's first-ever official report on multidimensional poverty states that 38.8 per cent of Pakistan's population lives in poverty. A majority of the rural population 54.6 per cent lives in acute poverty.

http://www.businesstoday.in/current...self-get-colonised-by-china/story/238833.html

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
Will Pakistan forever be indebted to China for CPEC?
By Ghazanfar Ali Garewal Published: October 29, 2016

Loans are no fun, nor is$51.5 billioncoming under the cover of China–Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC). It is easy to find yourself in debt, but it is hard to get out of it. This leads to the question, how will Pakistan get out of Chinese loans?

CPEC has financial arrangements on South-South Cooperation model which don’t just depend on giving aid like the North-South Cooperation. Under this Cooperation, China has made use of four major tactics: investment, aid/grants, joint ventures and equity ratio. And when BOT (build-operate-transfer) is not possible, the next best alternative is opting for soft loans. These loans are comprised of three categories: preferential buyer’s credit, concessional loans and interest free loans.

Loans are not given to the government of Pakistan, so, by no means do they burden Pakistan’s economy. The loans are being given to the companies that are involved in CPEC related projects. For example, if a company wants to undertake a project, it has to take loan from China’s Bank. How does that burden Pakistan’s economy when the country has nothing to pay back?

There is no need to worry about repayment obligations either. Here is why:

Firstly, all energy projects are investments which are based on Independent Power Producer (IPP) mode. They are required to have some equity ratio. The equity ratio, basically, is a debt ratio that is meant to access a company’s leverage, a figure calculated by dividing the company’s total liabilities by its stockholders’ equity. Some projects are directly invested in by the Commercial Bank of China and Import-Export Bank of China, whereas others are joint ventures like the Port Qasim power plant, with an approximate investment of $2.085 billion. The equity ratio of this project is 25%, while the rest has to be arranged by the sponsors through debt financing from the Import-Export Bank of China (China EXIM Bank). Some are financed by the International Finance Corporation (IFC) of the World Bank Group and The Silk Road Fund such as Karot hydropower station. So, the financial arrangements of CPEC’s energy projects do not burden the government of Pakistan, but the companies involved in it.

Secondly, these are not only loans that the IMF has been giving us, but a mega-investment under the guise of loans meant to ensure the smooth functioning of CPEC projects – it’s a somewhat cautious investment. Pakistan has $65 billion in debt.

What have we been utilising this huge amount of debt for?

To my readers’ surprise, we have been utilising it for meeting day-to-day expenses and paying consultants, hence it adds little to the benefits of Pakistan. On the contrary, CPEC, which is not a complete debt based project, adds a lot in the long-term value. It means huge benefits in terms of port access, transit corridor, trade hub, Foreign Direct Investment (FDI), and internal development.

Let’s get back to the past for a while. A few years ago, Pakistan was declared a ‘failed state’. No country was willing to invest in Pakistan. Investors, if there were any, used to sit in Dubai to negotiate. American Stock Index Provider, Morgan Stanley Capital International (MSCI), categorised it as a frontier market, which was an indicator of the poor state of Pakistan’s economic affairs. But, with China’s investment, Pakistan’s economic prospects are becoming brighter. MSCI has included it amongst the 10 most emerging economies of the world. It also listed the KSE-100 share index as the world’s fifth best market. Another American international ratings agency, Atlantic Media Company (AMC), has ranked Pakistan as a comparatively stronger economy of South Asia which is bound to flourish in the coming years. AMC believes that the investment in infrastructure, coupled with the relative political stability, has accelerated the country’s GDP.

So, what are investors looking for in an emerging economy like Pakistan?

The companies that invest in emerging markets, in fact, look for increasing their profits and dividends rapidly. Arthur Kwong, the Hong-Kong based head of Asia-Pacific equities at BNP Paribas Investment Partners that oversees around €552 billion ($619 billion), has answered that,

“Basically people are looking for alternatives, finding markets that are less correlated to the US interest rate-cycle and the China macro-slowdown. Pakistan, no doubt, is one of the outstanding spots.”

In that regard, a reference is being made to the recent IMF report on the monetary issues of CPEC. If you read the language of the report, it is very careful and defensive. Even more, it endorses the fact that CPEC is good, but there is no guarantee. Pakistan’s industrial sector needs to be competitive enough lest its imports outweigh its exports. The issue of current account deficit is on the list, but it shouldn’t be blown out of proportion. No country has, so far, been bankrupted by an FDI. And no country has been bankrupted by a current account deficit either.

There are many concerns over CPEC. The Pakistani industry should equally benefit from the project and there must be transparency regarding CPEC related projects. There are no two ways about it. Are we expecting CPEC to be a zero-risk economic package? Has there ever been such an economic package? Even the Marshall Plan wasn’t altruistic in nature. There are no economic projects that involve zero-risks. There is no free lunch either. Pakistan needs to strike a smart bargain and initiate long-term institutional reforms and internal development packages, which will take decades to bring fruits.

In academia, think-tanks and policy circles, these issues have been taken under consideration. There must be assessments, recommendations, positive criticism and drafting a roadmap for the way ahead. But we must be realistic and stop looking into CPEC in terms of absolute gains. If we think so, we are clearly mistaken.

http://blogs.tribune.com.pk/story/42196/will-pakistan-forever-be-indebted-to-china-for-cpec/

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
‘CPEC posing challenges to domestic industry’
ISLAMABAD: Small industries have expressed concern over concessions given to foreign companies under the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) and free-trade agreements with different countries.
In a meeting with a senior official of the Ministry of Industries on Friday, local manufacturers under the aegis of the Organisation for Advancement and Safeguard of Industrial Sector (Oasis) noted that CPEC was also posing new challenges for the domestic industry in Pakistan.
“The Chinese industry has achieved economies of scale over the years, primarily due to their huge domestic market, industry-friendly policies and multiple incentives by the government,” Oasis Executive Director Atif Iqbal told the media after the meeting.
Oasis believed that the CPEC could only be beneficial for Pakistan if the country’s exports were boosted through this mega trade route.
Mr Iqbal added that Oasis has also requested the Federal Board of Revenue and the National Tariff Commission (NTC) to adopt measures against unfair trade to safeguard interests of the indigenous industry.
One issue regarding imports from China was under-invoicing, and the authorities on both sides should set up an online system for data exchange as soon as possible, he said.
“Oasis has also requested the NTC to be vigilant and take immediate cognisance of unfair trade practices like dumping,” he said, adding that priorities should be set by considering interest of the local industry and then borders for free trade could be opened up.
The organisation has been pushing for the protection of small and medium sized industries and has also criticised large-scale manufacturers for ignoring their rights.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
With Gwadar set to go operational, CPEC dreams come true
A view of Gwadar port.—Photo by author
A convoy of trucks pictured near the port. ─ Photo by author
A ceremony marking the opening of trade activities at the Gwadar port as part of the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) will be held on Sunday with the country’s top leadership scheduled to be in attendance.
Amid tight security and a stream of arriving VIPs, the first consignment of cargoes from China to depart from the Pakistani port arrived at Gwadar on Saturday. All day long, a stream of trucks of different sizes lined up outside the port to be individually scanned before being ushered in.
A view of the Gwadar port. ─ Photo by author
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and Chief of the Army Staff Gen Raheel Sharif are scheduled to arrive late morning on Sunday. The chief ministers of Punjab and Balochistan will also be in attendance. According to people familiar with the arrangements, invitations were also sent to the chief ministers of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Sindh but they will not be coming. Executives from Sino Trans, a Chinese logistics company, will also be attending the ceremony as will be ministers for defence and planning and a number of politicians, especially from Balochistan.
This is the largest collection of VIPs hosted by Gwadar since it witnessed the signing of the 2009 National Finance Commission Award.
PM, army chief scheduled to attend ceremony marking start of trade activities at the new port
Making a ceremony out of the whole affair is an idea pushed by the Frontier Works Organisation (FWO) which has worked on building the roads that are part of the CPEC connectivity project.
“We pushed it to counter the despondency that was coming to surround the project,” says FWO director general Maj Gen Muhammad Afzal in a chat with Dawn. “Too many people were airing views that this project is not viable or is not going to materialise.”
Convoys come together
The convoys that joined up in Quetta took diverse routes. One convoy came from China, carrying almost 150 containers which were then shifted onto Pakistani trucks at the Sust border crossing south of Khunjerab in the Northern Areas. This convoy, which carried the bulk of the cargoes to be loaded onto the two vessels berthed at Gwadar port, consisted of trucks as long as 57 feet and travelled down the Karakoram Highway, then turned East towards Jund on the sheer banks of the Indus river about 100km south of Attock.
At Jund, it was met by another convoy that originated in Sialkot — with 50 trucks carrying around 100 containers — and together the whole convoy crossed the Indus river to Kohat where they stayed the night before moving on to Dera Ismail Khan, Zhob and then Quetta, where it stopped for another night. They were joined by a third convoy originating in Lahore and Sialkot, consisting of 45 trucks carrying approximately 90 containers that moved south to Sukkur, then west on the N65 highway past Sibi and Mastung before joining their companions in Quetta.
From Quetta, this convoy moved down the N85 highway that runs through Kalat and Panjgur to Hoshab where it intersects the M8 highway that runs through Turbat to link up with the Makran coastal highway just east of Gwadar. M8 was the road where the famous picture of the premier and the army chief riding together in a jeep was taken.
The containers carry cargoes ranging from rice and cotton, to Chinese machinery, some of which is destined for Gwadar for the ongoing development works here, and the rest going abroad.
Two ships — Al Hussain Zanzibar and Cosco Wellington — are berthed at Gwadar to receive the cargoes. They are setting sail for ports in Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, the UAE and the EU late on Sunday, according to information provided by the FWO.
Around Rs35 billion has been spent on road infrastructure for the CPEC projects in Balochistan alone since 2014, says the FWO chief. He said he pushed for the convoys to take these routes to show that the road infrastructure built during this time is fully capable of handling cargo consignments of this size.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
With Gwadar set to go operational, CPEC dreams come true

A view of the Gwadar port. ─ Photo by author

PM, army chief scheduled to attend ceremony marking start of trade activities at the new port

Convoys come together

Ahem ahem

A dream of being colonialised again by Asian neighbour and Papa china

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Inside the Comment Section:
(Don't know if really a fanboy or sarcastically joking).
IMG_20161113_132316_032.JPG

But this second one is hilarious indeed.:biggrin2:
IMG_20161113_132254_832.JPG

@airtel @Akask kumar @SREEKAR @Project Dharma @Navnit Kundu
Ahem ahem

A dream of being colonialised again by Asian neighbour and Papa china
A dream of Near East and West Asia Company of China, a counterpart to British East India Company.

Anyway, India is their real Papa. China is actually uncle.:D

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
Inside the Comment Section:
(Don't know if really a fanboy or sarcastically joking).
View attachment 11567

But this second one is hilarious indeed.:biggrin2:
View attachment 11568
@airtel @Akask kumar @SREEKAR @Project Dharma @Navnit Kundu

A dream of Near East and West Asia Company of China, a counterpart to British East India Company.

Anyway, India is their real Papa. China is actually uncle.:D
Bosd wale ko Dubai jaane bolo

I am in Dubai and discussed it with a paki about cpec

He was saying it's a mammoth infra project
It will give Pakistan the oxygen but later it will put Pakistan on ventilator
Because infra alone cannot solve Pakistans problem
They need education and need to eradicate corruption and sectarianism.

That guy works in standards and poors and has good knowledge of economics

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
He was saying it's a mammoth infra project.
India is running a freight corridor project worth $300 billions, but we are never seen thumping chests over it. From port upgradation to Diamond Quadrilateral and Motorway Expansion, Dams and river linking, our infra projects don't compete with CPEC, they compete with size of entire Pakistani Economy!:pound:

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
India is running a freight corridor project worth $300 billions, but we are never seen thumping chests over it. From port upgradation to Diamond Quadrilateral and Motorway Expansion, Dams and river linking, our infra projects don't compete with CPEC, they compete with size of entire Pakistani Economy!:pound:
That Is the point along with infra we are putting our efforts on social issues,cleanliness,education and many other important things but the inbreds are wanting to be colonised in a day

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles