Naxals/Maoists Watch

Should the Indian government use armed forces against the naxals/maoists?

• Total voters

Gandaberunda

Country flag
Most of the time villagers don't voluntarily choose to help the Maoist
When troops have walked in and saw 2 villages empty it's obvious to level the village to kill the occupying naxals at one go!
No need to fight a gun battle on ground.. also once air assets are used naxals need to upgrade their strategy and weapons and by active intelligence naxals sourcing can be traced. Else they are comfortable with old weapons wrecking havoc every now and then without suffering any significant damage ...

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Idk isn't the whole point of modern warfare including guerilla is to be aware of enemies whereabouts firsthand?
Maybe tracking your enemy is more beneficial than not knowing the positions of their enemies at all?
If we take your argument than aren't we settling up troops as bait for the maoist?

Situational awareness is more beneficial than not.
the scenario I was talking about is the case where UAV are used just ahead or during a particular op. that is rest of period skies would be clear, but naxals spotting a lone UAV doing circles.

The work around that muricans employed to avoid giving away their plans, is that there will always be UAV’s in the sky. Individual jihadi wouldn’t know if he is the target or someone else. if this tactic is to be employed then anti-naxal forces need a squadron of their own MALE UAV so that they are constantly monitoring when ever there is favourable weather irrespective of whether there is a op that is going to happen or not.

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
the scenario I was talking about is the case where UAV are used just ahead or during a particular op. that is rest of period skies would be clear, but naxals spotting a lone UAV doing circles.

The work around that muricans employed to avoid giving away their plans, is that there will always be UAV’s in the sky. Individual jihadi wouldn’t know if he is the target or someone else. if this tactic is to be employed then anti-naxal forces need a squadron of their own MALE UAV so that they are constantly monitoring when ever there is favourable weather irrespective of whether there is a op that is going to happen or not.
Loitering Munition Drones can fly at a high altitude without giving away its location, since it doesn't emit much noise compared to a fixed wing drone. The intelligence provided beforehand the Coin ops it's really crucial without any collateral damage.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Loitering Munition Drones can fly at a high altitude without giving away its location, since it doesn't emit much noise compared to a fixed wing drone. The intelligence provided beforehand the Coin ops it's really crucial without any collateral damage.
not sure if drone(any) can be silent.

we need to remember something, people like us living in cities have forgotten what silence means given all the machines that keep whirring around us the whole day. jungles are a whole different story.

I remember reading articles during afghan war, where children would know there are UAV in the area just by sound.

Even if there is a loitering munition, where would it be launched from?

in case of using loitering munition during an ambush, who would select the target? how will the person selecting the target know which group is which with certainty?

Lurker091

Country flag

we need to remember something, people like us living in cities have forgotten what silence means given all the machines that keep whirring around us the whole day. jungles are a whole different story.

I remember reading articles during afghan war, where children would know there are UAV in the area just by sound.

in case of using loitering munition during an ambush, who would select the target? how will the person selecting the target know which group is which with certainty?
I think constant fear of drones is enough to deter them. Don't attack during ambush just keep an eye on and provide info to troops.

Use drones during fight if needed and after the fight to hunt remaining naxals. This is better than getting routed.

Vishalreddy3

Country flag

Drones of every kind (not portable) are operated and launched through permanent command outpost preferably in the nearest airbase. If its a temporary outpost(for better communication between the drone operator and ground troops) , the drones can be operated in a secure outpost/open field near the COIN area itself, by setting up camouflage tents, which has been done before,only problem is that it gives away the location. As far as noise is concerned, Loitering/rotary drones have proven its worth by remaining silent and cognizant through the ops. If fitted with thermal sensing cameras, if can be used for full blown night ops.
Here are some examples in thick forests
Screenshot_20210405_140857.jpg

Screenshot_20210405_140911.jpg

Screenshot_20210405_140923.jpg

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I think constant fear of drones is enough to deter them. Don't attack during ambush just keep an eye on and provide info to troops.

Use drones during fight if needed and after the fight to hunt remaining naxals. This is better than getting routed.
Yes, the possibility of this outcome exists too.

Cheran

Country flag

In December 2018, soon after assuming office as the new chief minister of Chhattisgarh, Congress leader Bhupesh Baghel said the policy of “bullet-for-bullet” had failed in dealing with the Maoist problem in the state.

he Congress leader, who is considered close to United Progressive Alliance Chairperson Sonia Gandhi, said he was 'not interested' in the 'figures of encounters and body counts of Naxals' but in 'dialogue' with all stakeholders.

Baghel said he would initiate a dialogue on the issue “with the affected people”. “Intellectuals” and “right activists” are among those who have been affected by the conflict, the Chief Minister added.

“In what was seen as an effort to play down the disastrous effects of left-wing terror in the state, especially in the Bastar division, the Chief Minister had said in August 2019 that malnutrition was a bigger threat than the Maoists

Harbinger

कसाई
CAS is out of question because even IA doesn’t use CAS in COIN.

as far as recon goes, how will they recognise in all this melee which group is which? given the current strategy of anti-naxal ops is to fight like a guerrilla.

Keep in mind this ambush would have easy been spread over 1-2 sq km, if the numbers involved on both sides being reported are legit.

can’t send UAV(including MALE) ahead of the patrol party, if naxals spot a UAV doing circles they would disperse and opportunity lost.
Finally someone said it, this is what I was trying to explain since eternity

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
Drones of every kind (not portable) are operated and launched through permanent command outpost preferably in the nearest airbase. If its a temporary outpost(for better communication between the drone operator and ground troops) , the drones can be operated in a secure outpost/open field near the COIN area itself, by setting up camouflage tents, which has been done before,only problem is that it gives away the location. As far as noise is concerned, Loitering/rotary drones have proven its worth by remaining silent and cognizant through the ops. If fitted with thermal sensing cameras, if can be used for full blown night ops.
Here are some examples in thick forests
View attachment 84062
View attachment 84063
View attachment 84064
By the way I saw some people talking about how to differentiate our troops and the Naxals. Simple attach any IR Illuminators or IR Transmitters to the uniform or helmet of the troops which can easily be detected in thermal and other NVG devices which easily differentiates between us and them.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

In December 2018, soon after assuming office as the new chief minister of Chhattisgarh, Congress leader Bhupesh Baghel said the policy of “bullet-for-bullet” had failed in dealing with the Maoist problem in the state.

he Congress leader, who is considered close to United Progressive Alliance Chairperson Sonia Gandhi, said he was 'not interested' in the 'figures of encounters and body counts of Naxals' but in 'dialogue' with all stakeholders.

Baghel said he would initiate a dialogue on the issue “with the affected people”. “Intellectuals” and “right activists” are among those who have been affected by the conflict, the Chief Minister added.

“In what was seen as an effort to play down the disastrous effects of left-wing terror in the state, especially in the Bastar division, the Chief Minister had said in August 2019 that malnutrition was a bigger threat than the Maoists
So the journo who asked the question in the amit shah press conference about the “dialogue with naxals” was a planted question.

Harbinger

कसाई
By the way I saw some people talking about how to differentiate our troops and the Naxals. Simple attach any IR Illuminators or IR Transmitters to the uniform or helmet of the troops which can easily be detected in thermal and other NVG devices which easily differentiates between us and them.
😀Ye CI ops mai helmet kabse milne laga

Vishalreddy3

Country flag
Again CI ops mai BPJ kabse milne laga 😀, only olive T shirts, trousers and boots is what you get in ci ops 😀
It doesn't matter most IR Transmitter weigh only 2 ounces like Phoenix IR Transmitter!!
Can be easily patched up with shoulder tabs in the uniform. But I get it, since you have the actual experience how COIN ops goes I have no right to counter your opinion , but I am giving basic insights on how to differentiate us and the adversary!!

Screenshot_20210405_143240.jpg

Harbinger

कसाई
It doesn't matter most IR Transmitter weigh only 2 ounces like Phoenix IR Transmitter!!
Can be easily patched up with shoulder tabs in the uniform. But I get it, since you have the actual experience how COIN ops goes, but I am giving basic insights on how to differentiate us and the adversary!!

View attachment 84071
I'm not talking about the transmitter, you're right at your place, i was talking about how bpjs and helmets are utopian dreams on ground.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles