Naval MRCA contest. Lockheed offers F-35 to IN

Rahul Singh

Country flag
IAC-2 onwards will be larger carrier probably in QE class and should be able to accommodate close to 45-50 fighters. Also few fighters will be in reserve and few will be required for training from shore based facility. So there will be no accommodation problem.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
I don't understabd, why do we need so many different kinds of naval platforms??

We already are ordering 45 MiG-29Ks for Vikramaditya, plus 40 Naval LCAs for IAC-1. Add to that the dozen Harriers that we operate from Viraat.

Why do we need a FOURTH platform now?? Can someone shine some light on this?

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Anyway, if Rafale wins the IAF's MMRCA (which is likely), we are almost guaranteed to see some Rafale Ms (I think that's the naval variant?) with IN Air Arm.

Even though I would prefer ordering more MiG-29Ks or N-LCAs, for the sake of logistical consistency.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Anyway, if Rafale wins the IAF's MMRCA (which is likely), we are almost guaranteed to see some Rafale Ms (I think that's the naval variant?) with IN Air Arm.

Even though I would prefer ordering more MiG-29Ks or N-LCAs, for the sake of logistical consistency.
Now that we know the time between overhauls for the RD-33MK is not as advertised, why would you want more? What Rosboronexport is doing is fraud.

sandeepdg

I don't understabd, why do we need so many different kinds of naval platforms??

We already are ordering 45 MiG-29Ks for Vikramaditya, plus 40 Naval LCAs for IAC-1. Add to that the dozen Harriers that we operate from Viraat.

Why do we need a FOURTH platform now?? Can someone shine some light on this?
Mate, the Harriers have hardly a decade of life in them with the new upgrade carried out on them. Plus there's hardly 11-12 of them left now, they have limited capabilities and their basic role is land-attack and are not multi role capable like the Mig-29Ks. We have already bought 45 Mig 29Ks and I think the Navy won't be buying anymore. Admiral Mehta said that by 2022 IN plans to have an air arm comprising of 300-400 aircrafts. And believe me, by 2022, even the Mig 29Ks that we have bought now will be outdated. So, the bulk of air arm will eventually comprise of N-LCAs, NMMRCA and probably a 5th genr. version of the PAKFA or FGFA. So, ultimately it will be 3 platforms. Plus by the time we get the IAC-3, which will probably be a CATOBAR carrier, we would require heavier, advanced and more capable fighters than the N-LCA, hence the reason we are going for the Naval MMRCA in the near future !

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Mate, the Harriers have hardly a decade of life in them with the new upgrade carried out on them. Plus there's hardly 11-12 of them left now, they have limited capabilities and their basic role is land-attack and are not multi role capable like the Mig-29Ks. We have already bought 45 Mig 29Ks and I think the Navy won't be buying anymore. Admiral Mehta said that by 2022 IN plans to have an air arm comprising of 300-400 aircrafts. And believe me, by 2022, even the Mig 29Ks that we have bought now will be outdated. So, the bulk of air arm will eventually comprise of N-LCAs, NMMRCA and probably a 5th genr. version of the PAKFA or FGFA. So, ultimately it will be 3 platforms. Plus by the time we get the IAC-3, which will probably be a CATOBAR carrier, we would require heavier, advanced and more capable fighters than the N-LCA, hence the reason we are going for the Naval MMRCA in the near future !
If the MiG-29K will become outdated in just a decade why did we order them? Just to make Russia happy or what?

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I think we should scrap off this 4th platform. Seems IN is in competition with IAF to make a zoo out of their arsenal the similar way as IAF has. Come on! we should give some time to Naval PAKFA and MCA. Aren't 50+ fighters till then enough to deal with threats? Russia mentioned that they want to replace Su-33 with a 5th generation substitute to complement the MiG-29Ks that they'd be using. This hints an obvious naval version of PAKFA.

We could wait a bit and get these instead of wasting money on foreign 4.5 and 5th generation fighters.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I think we should scrap off this 4th platform. Seems IN is in competition with IAF to make a zoo out of their arsenal the similar way as IAF has. Come on! we should give some time to Naval PAKFA and MCA. Aren't 50+ fighters till then enough to deal with threats? Russia mentioned that they want to replace Su-33 with a 5th generation substitute to complement the MiG-29Ks that they'd be using. This hints an obvious naval version of PAKFA.

We could wait a bit and get these instead of wasting money on foreign 4.5 and 5th generation fighters.
IN first needs to have indigenous platform with launch system on IAC to shoot off 20+tons fighter. Its not that simple to operate medium weight fighter from carriers.

Russians will take another decade to complete their next carrier capable to operate next-gen fighters. The existing carrier will be stationed at dock for another 9 years of upgrades. Operating PAKFA is aim of Russian navy, but it is not going to be reality any sooner. AMCA comes in picture only in post-2025 scenario.

IN needs medium weight 4.5Gen fighters from carriers & the supplementary launch system developed at desi shipyards. Possibly MRCA winner will be solution for all these required capabilities.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

PakFa is more or less not going to enter IAF let along Navy. India may well jump in for the F-35. Time is running out for the Russians to take India on board the PafFa project which will evolve into the FGFA. Russia doesnt seem too keen to make the FGFA for us. India will have to look at new options. MCA can come in later.

Crusader53

The Mig-29K's should be passed onto the IAF when this NEW Naval Type enters service. Really, the only reason the Fulcrum was selected in the first place was to get the "Vikramaditya".

Remember, Naval Fighters are only available in limted numbers. So, they need to over a higher level of superiority. To counter larger numbers of landbased types that they may in counter.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
The Mig-29K's should be passed onto the IAF when this NEW Naval Type enters service. Really, the only reason the Fulcrum was selected in the first place was to get the "Vikramaditya".

Remember, Naval Fighters are only available in limted numbers. So, they need to over a higher level of superiority. To counter larger numbers of landbased types that they may in counter.
IAF will get MIG35Ds.... :happy_2: IN might use the old MIG29Ks for land based inventory at INS HANSA. IN calls its Mig29Ks as "SU30MKI of IN". Mig29K production line might remain open for another 7-8 years.

Last edited:

Crusader53

PakFa is more or less not going to enter IAF let along Navy. India may well jump in for the F-35. Time is running out for the Russians to take India on board the PafFa project which will evolve into the FGFA. Russia doesnt seem too keen to make the FGFA for us. India will have to look at new options. MCA can come in later.
Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if the Indian Navy does indeed purchase the F-35C at some point. As a matter of fact recent rumors state the UK is considering it over the STOVL F-35B.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Its not possible to send MIG-29K to IAF..

One thing that really disturbs me abt Russians tech is they dont have pure standoff weapons..
In Anti-ship MIG-29K have to remain in thread zone untiIl KH-35 hits its target..
In A2G same problem with all laser and T.V guided stuff..
In A2A MIG-29K is formidable..

Though Only MIG-29K and LCA fits the hangers of INS Vikramaditya..

Now, If Rafale M or F-35c wins than they can be operational on IAC-2&3..

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if the Indian Navy does indeed purchase the F-35C at some point. As a matter of fact recent rumors state the UK is considering it over the STOVL F-35B.
F35 & other many American toys in Indian armed services can be reality or can not. It greatly relies on political winds now. Obama Administration saga has done enough for South Block to think twice before taking any actions. I can expect some speeding of many deals in post-2013 scenario.

neo29

F-35 has a single engine which is its biggest disadvantage. For a 5th gen strike fighter twin engine is compulsory in case one fails when deep inside enemy territory. Cant digest that being a single engine fighter its so expensive.

Agantrope

That too to get the first delivery we need to wai for 2020, So it is better to get more Fulcrums and Tejas

Crusader53

Indian Carriers can only carry "X" numbers of fighters. It doesn't need more it needs more capable aircraft....

Crusader53

I don't see the Mig-29K production line being open for much longer. As India's is already looking past it and the Russian Navy has only a small requirement. Plus, its highly unlikely the Mig-35 will win the MMRCA.

Crusader53

F-35 has a single engine which is its biggest disadvantage. For a 5th gen strike fighter twin engine is compulsory in case one fails when deep inside enemy territory. Cant digest that being a single engine fighter its so expensive.

Sorry, that view is hardly supported by fact. As study after study has compared single engine fighters vs twin. With the accident and combat losses being nearly identical.

Of course that's another debate. Yet, I would do some research if I were you. As I think you would be amazed by what you find.

arya

Country flag
well f35 is not bad option for indian navy

but it will take at least 10 years

USA is not trust able

we cant go for f35 in more number as we have pak fa as future plane option

Global Defence

Articles