Kaveri Engine

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
there was a news that under the rafale offset proposal kaveri will be revive.
has it ??
Yes,
It seems that the SAFRAN part of rafale offset will be in the form of a last engeneering phase of the Kaveri.
No more detail so far.

EXPERT

there was a news that under the rafale offset proposal kaveri will be revive.
has it ??
Yes there was a proposal but Airforce reject it. It was just a bread with lil jam. Mastering Engine Tech is not a game and i think india is certainly 20 years away from developing its first full fledge Engine.

Akshay_Fenix

Yes there was a proposal but Airforce reject it. It was just a bread with lil jam. Mastering Engine Tech is not a game and i think india is certainly 20 years away from developing its first full fledge Engine.
source?

Last edited:

republic_roi97

Country flag
That I don't have. Just heard from other members and no.further news of collaboration with French made be believe so.
So WTF, is DRDO doing for making K9+ and K10 engines, are these still 10-20 years away or are they doing their thing ? Used to hear a lot about K9+ and K10 engines and how they are meant to be used in our fifth generation AMCA and future Tejas, all gone to cold storage ??

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
So WTF, is DRDO doing for making K9+ and K10 engines, are these still 10-20 years away or are they doing their thing ? Used to hear a lot about K9+ and K10 engines and how they are meant to be used in our fifth generation AMCA and future Tejas, all gone to cold storage ??
Unfortunately yes if we keep doing it alone. K10 project is also a dud.:dude:
We lag behind because of comparative lack of expertise in metallurgy which western word slowly mastered in last 100 years.

Certified Gipsy

I read on twitter that Kaveri engine is going through Mean Time Between Overhaul tests.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
So, we need an engine thrust of at least 140-150kN or even above.
How can that be 140-150 KN when much heavier MKI does all these with 130 KN engines? AMCA is supposed to be 10 ton lighter than Su 30 MKI so 120 KN should be sufficient but we need more dry thrust to super cruise. The engine used in Euro fighter is such an engine.

republic_roi97

Country flag
'
That is why it's important to post sources when you post on the forums :)
Ok, GTRE has floated a tender for 20 engines. Question is "For what ?".
And is that supposed to mean they are still working on improving Kaveri some how, or now they are doing MTBO test on K9+ or K10 ?

republic_roi97

Country flag
According to this report :- IDRW , the french have already looked into the Kaveri engine and appear to have found out the problems with Kabini core, GTRE alone would take another 5-7 years maybe more to address this issue but with french assistance, the engine might get ready for flight tests within 24 months. I guess someone from the inside can help us understand about what is going on ? MTBO tests are happening, that means its not scrapped, but claims are that french assistance will not be taken (I am yet to find some reliable input on that). Or will the french assistance be taken, since it appears that they've already studied it.
Seriously guys, a lot of confusions with a little transparency.

EXPERT

we just opted for 36 rafales so i think french will not make there hand dirty with this mess. ya, if we go for MMRCA with them then there is sure shot possibility of the revival of Kaveri.
SAAB dont have their engines, they import from honeywell US. And Boieng will not help at all with Kaveri even if we select F-16.
The only hope is France and we dont know what approach the government will take. They were about to use the low thrust kaveri engine for home grown UAV, dont know what is happening in that part.

Defcon 1

Country flag
we just opted for 36 rafales so i think french will not make there hand dirty with this mess. ya, if we go for MMRCA with them then there is sure shot possibility of the revival of Kaveri.
SAAB dont have their engines, they import from honeywell US. And Boieng will not help at all with Kaveri even if we select F-16.
The only hope is France and we dont know what approach the government will take. They were about to use the low thrust kaveri engine for home grown UAV, dont know what is happening in that part.
Dear sir, don't be so dejected. France has to honor 50% offsets on Rafale deal. And GOI has allowed TOT to be used in offsets, including engine TOT. Lets see how this plays out.

EXPERT

Dear sir, don't be so dejected. France has to honor 50% offsets on Rafale deal. And GOI has allowed TOT to be used in offsets, including engine TOT. Lets see how this plays out.
am not being dejected, 50% offset will go only for Rafale not for any other project. Rafale will invest that to develop MSME sector to work only for Dassault Aviation. And thats for first few years..later on we will be on our own with the gathered knowledge and technology to be used for any further projects.

Defcon 1

Country flag
am not being dejected, 50% offset will go only for Rafale not for any other project. Rafale will invest that to develop MSME sector to work only for Dassault Aviation. And thats for first few years..later on we will be on our own with the gathered knowledge and technology to be used for any further projects.
Well, I am not privy to internal details of Rafale deal, but France needs to invest $5 billion in Indian industry to meet the offsets clause. I don't think there is enough investment to be made in Indian MSME sector to work for Dassault aviation. IMHO, France will need to look for additional ways to meet the offsets clause, and Kaveri can play a big role.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles