J20 Stealth Fighter

gadeshi

Maybe it's combat role is as a low level penetration interdictor like the Su-34 ? The low observability would certainly help with Aegis destroyers in scs and the weapons bay can hold a good amount of ordnance. Thoughts ?
It COULD be "stealthy Su-34" if it could have large MWBs (at least the size of T-50 ones), but it doesn't. It has small ones coppied from F-22A.

Отправлено с моего XT1080 через Tapatalk

J20!

Country flag
J20's flying from Zhurihe Training Center on the 90th anniversary of the founding of the People's Liberation Army (PLA). as well as stills from a recent J20 pilot interview on CCTV-4:

Every J20 in these pics sports a Lüneberg lens to enhance its radar signature:

Two J-20 take-off together for the parade

The interview:

ZHANG Hao (top) and TANG Hai Ning,

Induction, pilot training and tactics development seems to be progressing.

Last edited:

Compersion

Country flag
Looks good. Actually in fact it looks really good.

How good is it actually would love to know from experts here.

PRC is able to make a lot of good looking stuff recently. The Soviets were able to do something similar i suppose is a relevant thought.

leap-x

Not 1.44 (actually 1.42), but its ancestor 1.46

Dude,I don't think there is any connection between J-20 and 1.44. Anyone with some knowledge on aviation will notice the difference.

1 Aerodynamic 1.44 is quite different from J-20. 1.44 has delta wing while J-20 has dual delta wing.

2 the distance between the canard and wing is different.1.44 has horizontal wing with higher canard, while J20’s wing and canard start at some height while wing hangs down and canard sticks up.

3 Air-take-in is different.J-20 has weapon bay while 1.44 dont.that means huge difference of
airframe.

4 Most of all, it is obvious that Stealth come first for J20. I am pretty sure 1.44 is not the same.

So with different aerodynamics,fly control,wing,canard,airframe(basically everything),what is the point to copy 1.44?

Anyone can change 1.44 into a 5-generation stealthy fighter must be very good. the problem will be:
they are so good why they start their design with 1.44, an outdated concept.

Attachments

gadeshi

Dude,I don't think there is any connection between J-20 and 1.44. Anyone with some knowledge on aviation will notice the difference.

1 Aerodynamic 1.44 is quite different from J-20. 1.44 has delta wing while J-20 has dual delta wing.

2 the distance between the canard and wing is different.1.44 has horizontal wing with higher canard, while J20’s wing and canard start at some height while wing hangs down and canard sticks up.

3 Air-take-in is different.J-20 has weapon bay while 1.44 dont.that means huge difference of
airframe.

4 Most of all, it is obvious that Stealth come first for J20. I am pretty sure 1.44 is not the same.

So with different aerodynamics,fly control,wing,canard,airframe(basically everything),what is the point to copy 1.44?

Anyone can change 1.44 into a 5-generation stealthy fighter must be very good. the problem will be:
they are so good why they start their design with 1.44, an outdated concept.
Can you read or write only? :)
I said it was burn NOT from 1.42 but from its stealthified ancestor 1.46.
MiG guys confirm that as well as official MiG confirms wide participation in several Chinese fighter programs starting from J-8 and J-10 including documentation sales.

leap-x

can I play the devils advocate here

If the chiniese have developed so much in the relem of aerospace it is because they threw caution to the wind and copied / modified
which has given them the ecosystem to make planes of their own

do you know that the early Russian jets were actually powered by the same RR nane engines that equipped our vampires or the fact that engine was won off in a simple billiards game or that Russians got the know how of the meterials from espenioage that was carried on by the menthod of simply walking in the RR factory with a
sticky soled shoe !

all the Jet tech that the west and Russians have was looted from the defeated germans who were lightyears ahead in jet or fighter technology

India also had this opertunity but we squandered it by playing the Holier of the Holiest in fact the way I see it india had two butiful chances
  • we could have made Prof Kurt tank our Jet program incharge and incentived him to bring in more german technical Know How but we didn't we allowed him to close shop after the marut program
  • after the colaspe of the USSR we could have again incentivized their technical experts to come and setup shop here in India but again we squadred it
the Basis of the Chinies Combat Jet Program was laid by their serial production of the MiG-21F13 which was later modified as the J7 and exported as the F-7 Skybolt we have also lisince produced the MiG-21P and FP's why didn't we take that route not because we couldn't but we wouldn't because we are the most holiest of all
power and prestige is not give to us on a platter we have earn it

but no we are busy slinging mud on a guy who is trying to change us we have to note that change takes time this is not some T20cricket match people so we should sucjk up and work so that we can beat the chinies at their onw game

Amercians are so smart that they creat everything, Americans are so stupid that they cant even protect their most advanced and classified technology。Americans are weird?

leap-x

Can you read or write only? :)
I said it was burn NOT from 1.42 but from its stealthified ancestor 1.46.
MiG guys confirm that as well as official MiG confirms wide participation in several Chinese fighter programs starting from J-8 and J-10 including documentation sales.

Could you provide more information about 1.46? I know MIG play quite a role on project JF-17.

gadeshi

Amercians are so smart that they creat everything, Americans are so stupid that they cant even protect their most advanced and classified technology。Americans are weird?
Americans flew on same Derwent and Nene engines as Russians did :)
However, Russians flew German BMW 003 and Jumo 004 before.
And of course all of them had pre-war jet engines prototypes but Germans and Brittish only had managed to make them perfect enough for production.

leap-x

Americans flew on same Derwent and Nene engines as Russians did :)
However, Russians flew German BMW 003 and Jumo 004 before.
And of course all of them had pre-war jet engines prototypes but Germans and Brittish only had managed to make them perfect enough for production.

I just being sarcastic.But USA is a very wierd country. I dont hate USA,I think USA is much better that the last Superpower(I mean UK).But I dont like the thoughts that their system will work under any circumstance.I dont buy that anymore.I see more and more contradiction and hypocrisy.

It is off the topic. I should stop here.

HarshBardhan

Casper
Wait guys Wait. J-20 isn't a copied jet nor derived from an earlier design of Americans or Russians. It is a well indigenous design of Chinese.

The origins of J-20 lies within China itself. It is not a copied design like many fourth generation air superiority aircrafts which has been copied from Sukhoi Su-27 design. The Chengdu Aerospace corporation tested in wind tunnel a single engine aircraft named J 9 which was rechristened into Chengdu J 10. A twin engine variant of J-9 named the J-9VI was also made. The J-9VI was designed as a multirole strike aircraft. But later cancelled because of design complications and availability of Su 30 MKK. Now it was rechristened into J 20. The design was tweaked at many places to decrease it's radar cross section and increase its effective stealth signature. As per popular sources initially a J-XX program was initiated in the 90s by Chengdu Aerospace Corporation which was designated as Project 718.

UNLIKE POPULAR BELIEF , CHENGUDU j-20 IS A WELL WORKED INDIGENOUS DESIGN DERIVED FROM J-9VI AND NOT A COPY OF MIKOYAN MIG 1.44 AS JUDGED BY MANY.

CGI of Chengdu J-9

wind tunnel model of J-9VI

3 views of J-9VI

Design of J-20

CGI of J-9VI

The J-9 was cancelled primarily due to the inability to produce the specified WS-6 turbofan engine. The program was also severely disrupted by the Cultural Revolution. The constantly shifting and unrealistic speed and altitude targets placed by the People's Liberation Army Airforce (PLAAF) frustrated the efforts of the J-9 design team. For example, PLAAF demanded the top speed increased to Mach 2.8 with a maximum altitude of 28,000 metres (92,000 ft). Efforts by the designers to lobby for less ambitious speed and altitude requirements as well as to place greater emphasis on range and agility met heavy resistance. The J-8 project was deemed more conventional and lower risk from the start and received funding priority.

J-9VI design was resurrected with J-20 as Chengudu Engineers reincarnated that design to form J-20. The design similarities are quite obvious.

Many analysts noted that J 20's nose section , particularly it's cockpit , which features a frameless bubble canopy has been copied from F 22 and F 35. This is just a mummble amongst those people who may have difficulty in digesting a Chinese design. If you look at the design configuration of Dassault Rafael, Eurofighter Typhoon and Saab JAS 39 Gripen all of them have large number of similarities but they are never noted as a copy of each other. The usage of frameless bubble canopy , and DSI inlets is definitely an inspiration taken from western stealth designs , but it is just provocative to call it a copy.

J-20 is the result of pure indigenous hard work of Chinese rather than a rip off an earlier existing design.

HarshBardhan

Casper
Well, Taiwan just found out the RCS of J-20, it ends all Chinese myth of it being stealthy. Our 4D MPR can detect it from 400km away.
View attachment 19697 View attachment 19698
I don't know much about bands like X-Band or that but one of my friends was telling that "Stealth is optimized against X band, that analysis is a pure dumb". Can you shed more light on this matter ?

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I don't know much about bands like X-Band or that but one of my friends was telling that "Stealth is optimized against X band, that analysis is a pure dumb". Can you shed more light on this matter ?
It has to do with the wavelength. The longer the wavelength the more likely it is to pick up stealth aircraft such as large L band search and track radars.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles