INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod

..........................................................................................
Gun's hammer spring jamming repeatedly. I think it was not being pulled back properly in hurry ?

Magazine was emptied on full auto very fast. Don't know for how long the team had been taking on Paki rats. Looks like gun is not adequate for such long gun fights ?? Shots fired in the background, most probably by Pakis was from bigger caliber gun.

@pmaitra

devhensh

..........................................................................................
Been away for long .....but this is an "INSAS LMG" and sodiers are most probably Dogras.....could make out every word spoken...Like "Khokhe Badi Jande Meri Mooh Wich" ...empty shells keep on entering my mouth.......

Two things about the INSAS....It's using a 30 round magzine, so it will empty out very fast, when fired on full auto to give suppressive fire.... the Jamming is due to an empty shell failing to extract, most probably..

Looks like the "INSAS LMG" is a much liked weapon, judging by how widely is it seen with our warriors in hotspots....Also, a light and mobile LMG like this is very handy in confined spaces of Bunkers.....The usage principle is not very diffrent from the "IAR(Infantry Automatic rifle) ..The M27 of US Marine Core.......

How i wish, there was an optional 100/200 round drum or Pouch Magzine as well as a Quick Deattach Barrel for this weapon...

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Been away for long .....but this is an "INSAS LMG" and sodiers are most probably Dogras.....could make out every word spoken...Like "Khokhe Badi Jande Meri Mooh Wich" ...empty shells keep on entering my mouth.......

Two things about the INSAS....It's using a 30 round magzine, so it will empty out very fast, when fired on full auto to give suppressive fire.... the Jamming is due to an empty shell failing to extract, most probably..

Looks like the "INSAS LMG" is a much liked weapon, judging by how widely is it seen with our warriors in hotspots....Also, a light and mobile LMG like this is very handy in confined spaces of Bunkers.....The usage principle is not very diffrent from the "IAR(Infantry Automatic rifle) ..The M27 of US Marine Core.......

How i wish, there was an optional 100/200 round drum or Pouch Magzine as well as a Quick Deattach Barrel for this weapon...
Punjabi language was being spoken most likely Malwa/Doaba region.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
Do any guns used by IA had bolt catching mechanism?

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
You see pictures of Indian soldiers in camouflage uniform carry the older INSAS Rifle with the bright brown wooden stock against the black metal of the main body of the rifle - and there goes your camouflage.

Why does this kind of stupid stuff always happen in India ? Doesn't anybody in the MOD have any level of common sense. At least paint the bloody stock black, or camouflage or whatever, right ?

aditya g

Country flag
Very interesting video - but disappointing as well;

1. What kind of fire is the jawan laying down? Is it purely suppressive fire? To my untrained eye, it seems like "spray and pray" fire to me - no offence meant. The loophole position also doesn't seem to make it easy to choose targets. There was no spotter either.

2. Whatever the intent, the jawan could have used a belt fed or box fed LMG in the situation. He wasted a lot if time trying to reload and re-acquire the target. Then there was at least 1 more man required to supply him with loaded mags.

3. The LMG keeps jamming too often - what is the reason?

4. I counted the rounds being fired at a time .... only 10-15 rounds were being despatched at a time. It could be because the LMG kept jamming, or was it intentional to keep the barrel cool to keep the MG going?

The design philosophy behind the INSAS LMG is - AFAIK - lends itself well for mobile warfare where a section of men can benefit from LMG support while moving. For this bunker war a MAG MMG or even bipod MAG would have been better.

@Kunal Biswas @Raj Malhotra

Gun's hammer spring jamming repeatedly. I think it was not being pulled back properly in hurry ?

Magazine was emptied on full auto very fast. Don't know for how long the team had been taking on Paki rats. Looks like gun is not adequate for such long gun fights ?? Shots fired in the background, most probably by Pakis was from bigger caliber gun.

@pmaitra

binayak95

Country flag

I think none of the mags were fully loaded. You can make out that its an average of 20 rounds being fired at a time. A couple of magazines seemed faulty as well. One wouldn't lock into place, and the other's spring was probably loose, couldn't push rounds into the chamber no matter how many times he cocked the gun.

This is why I stress in drum mags or belt-fed mags.

Seems like suppressive fire to me. 4-5 seconds of suppressive fire with 4-5 secs to reload the magazine is dumb. Get a belt fed LMG, keep the mofos pinned for hours.

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha

He could have used at least a 30 round magazine. Why use 20 round ones? A belt fed LMG would have been much better though. Also higher calibre bullets would have been much better.

binayak95

Country flag
He could have used at least a 30 round magazine. Why use 20 round ones? A belt fed LMG would have been much better though. Also higher calibre bullets would have been much better.
I think the guy behind was reloading the mags as fast as he could and handing it over. Watch the video carefully. The very first burst is longer than each one afterwards. They were 30 round mags though. All of 'em.

Rahul Singh

Country flag

@pmaitra
The LMG keeps jamming too often - what is the reason?
I think you guys missed. Shotter's buddies are filling empty mags as much as they could and passing it on to the shooter again in order to maintain the rate of fire.

On more than one occasion the shooter pulled cocking handle when the magazine was already empty. See again. You can easily notice half filled magazines being passed the to the shooter. And shooter cocking on emplty magazine.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
I think the guy behind was reloading the mags as fast as he could and handing it over. Watch the video carefully. The very first burst is longer than each one afterwards. They were 30 round mags though. All of 'em.
Bang on......... Alas, i did not scroll down enough!

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
Not everyone on post can have it. A satellite post certainly can't because of logistics constraints.
Why not give more magazines at least so that they can be kept loaded and fired easily? Also, giving high capacity magazines like 60 round ones can be practiced to reduce unnecessary reload time. Magazines are very cheap. While moving, it is understandable as to give less magazines due to weight issue. But, it is not clear as to why limited magazines are given for bunkers

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Why not give more magazines at least so that they can be kept loaded and fired easily? Also, giving high capacity magazines like 60 round ones can be practiced to reduce unnecessary reload time. Magazines are very cheap. While moving, it is understandable as to give less magazines due to weight issue. But, it is not clear as to why limited magazines are given for bunkers
See there were enough bullets and magazines to rotate to keep the firing going for the required duration. So, I don't see where extra magazines could have helped.

A good number of extra pre-filled magazines, when not in use, will be using quite a lot of precious little space that is there in any satellite post.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles