INS Vishal (IAC- II) Aircraft Carrier - Flattop or Ski Jump

gslv markIII

Country flag
The question is,who will build it ? If I am right,only CSL and Pipavav are capable of buiding such large ships.

gslv markIII

Country flag
Reliance Announces Shipyard For
Nuke Subs & Carriers
as if the facilities at Pipavav weren't big....:confused1:

The infrastructure facilities originally consisted of two wet basins, one 680 meters long and 65 meters wide and the other 680 meters long and 60 meters wide. The first of these wet docks has been converted into a dry dock measuring 662 meters long and 65 meters wide, the second largest in the world.The dry dock is serviced by two Goliath cranes 148 meters span and 75 meters high, each with lifting capacity of 600 tons. Together, these cranes can lift weights of up to 1,200 tons. Also available at the site are two Level Luffing cranes, with a combined lifting capacity of 80 tons.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
as if the facilities at Pipavav weren't big....:confused1:

The infrastructure facilities originally consisted of two wet basins, one 680 meters long and 65 meters wide and the other 680 meters long and 60 meters wide. The first of these wet docks has been converted into a dry dock measuring 662 meters long and 65 meters wide, the second largest in the world.The dry dock is serviced by two Goliath cranes 148 meters span and 75 meters high, each with lifting capacity of 600 tons. Together, these cranes can lift weights of up to 1,200 tons. Also available at the site are two Level Luffing cranes, with a combined lifting capacity of 80 tons.

There are several big ships that are being planned plus refits also needs to be done for existing carriers.

Indian navy also planning to acquire 4 LPD's.

India needs atleast three shipyards of similar capabilities which can handle big ships.

Chinmoy

Country flag
You do realise Power is one of the easiest to handle and generate in a warship.. handing live ammunition is way more difficult task and transferring them from safe zones to places that need them when you got to fire is a difficult task compared to just flipping some switches to start charging ,, You dont replace conductors every-time.. its probably every few hundreds of shots
As per popular belief, its not as easy to generate the power required to a rail gun from any of the current ship in service. May be the super carriers could be able to do that. But for others, they would have to compromise on many other aspects to fire it.
As of now only a functional prototype of 32 MJ rail gun has been installed. US navy wants a potent 64MJ one to be as a mainstay. But a 64 MJ rail gun would require 16MW of energy. For the current 32 MJ it would require around 9MW, which is more then any current ship could provide. But with upcoming Zumwalt class destroyer, that would produce 78MW, which would be adequate for the practical use of the weapon.
But then again, unless you could use any guided munition, its anti aircraft role would be minimum. It would be an ideal weapon to dealt with surface ship.

archie

Country flag
As per popular belief, its not as easy to generate the power required to a rail gun from any of the current ship in service. May be the super carriers could be able to do that. But for others, they would have to compromise on many other aspects to fire it.
As of now only a functional prototype of 32 MJ rail gun has been installed. US navy wants a potent 64MJ one to be as a mainstay. But a 64 MJ rail gun would require 16MW of energy. For the current 32 MJ it would require around 9MW, which is more then any current ship could provide. But with upcoming Zumwalt class destroyer, that would produce 78MW, which would be adequate for the practical use of the weapon.
But then again, unless you could use any guided munition, its anti aircraft role would be minimum. It would be an ideal weapon to dealt with surface ship.
The Current ships have power plants well over 30 MW the trouble is is not in electrical form and most of it is in Mechanical form to power the propeller .. All that is needed is rewiring the power system to provide more electrical energy. The need of Instantaneous power is anyway taken by the power accumulator that charges before the rail gun fires.. The upcoming zumwalt class is an all electric ship cause of the changed perspective of power generation and delivery..

Its challenging but not Impossible to refit and add more electrical capability

Chinmoy

Country flag
The Current ships have power plants well over 30 MW the trouble is is not in electrical form and most of it is in Mechanical form to power the propeller .. All that is needed is rewiring the power system to provide more electrical energy. The need of Instantaneous power is anyway taken by the power accumulator that charges before the rail gun fires.. The upcoming zumwalt class is an all electric ship cause of the changed perspective of power generation and delivery..

Its challenging but not Impossible to refit and add more electrical capability
Ofcourse its not impossible and I do believe that by 2020 we would be able to see an operational RailGun in one of the destroyer. But as of now, its bit hard. Look what the US navy's program manager had to say about the current power status of war ships.

http://www.popsci.com/article/technology/navy-wants-fire-its-ridiculously-strong-railgun-ocean

Even now its possible to fit an warship with it and use it practically, but for firing alone, it would have to sacrifice on its mobility or on any other aspect for the time being. Moreover there is the challenge to bring up the capacitor bank to deliver the required pulse for firing and the material for the core too. Here is another article bout some more challenges which is yet to overcome technically.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/a2289/4231461/

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Not yet.......... and given the hunger for power of the system it would be impractical for India to develop it as a weapon system.
I don't think it would happen even in 2020. That's too early. Even Russia or China won't be doing. Railgun is a brand new weapon.
Let's first watch Americans using them on muzzies. :D

Chinmoy

Country flag
I don't think it would happen even in 2020. That's too early. Even Russia or China won't be doing. Railgun is a brand new weapon.
Let's first watch Americans using them on muzzies. :D
Well what i meant was, that by 2020, may be US navy will use it in some practical way.

guru-dutt

Russia may try but MiG-29K only to IAC-1 Vikrant.
INS Vishal will get much better fighters as it will be made advanced specially for doing so.
il put my money on two squads of F35C and two squads of NLCA MK2 for INS Vishal

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
Guys today I saw Ins Viraat at vizag shore.
Sorry I didn't took pic.
I think after IFR-2016 Ins Viraat will be de-commissoned.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
How about NAMCA instead of NLCA?
It will also be ready to fly till the Vishal is launched. :D
Guys today I saw Ins Viraat at vizag shore.
Sorry I didn't took pic.
I think after IFR-2016 Ins Viraat will be de-commissoned.
If go by as of schedule, it is last year of INS Virat.

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
How about NAMCA instead of NLCA?
It will also be ready to fly till the Vishal is launched. :D

If go by as of schedule, it is last year of INS Virat.
Why don't IN extend it till 2018 till our Ins vikrant enters the arena?

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Why don't IN extend it till 2018 till our Ins vikrant enters the arena?
Actually, first IN was planning to operate it till entry of Vikrant in 2018.
But Carrier and it's technology is found to be too old.
So, it's better to retire before a serious accident.

archie

Country flag
F35C.. Even Aussies are running from F-35 lemon ... Super hornets may be better than that... i would put money on Cato-bar modification for MIG 29-K would increase fuel/weapons by increasing MTOW

Actually, first IN was planning to operate it till entry of Vikrant in 2018.
But Carrier and it's technology is found to be too old.
So, it's better to retire before a serious accident.
Wonder if it can be used as training platform for new carrier crew.. wont we need a full set of trained personnel for another carrier?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles