Indian Railways Multimedia

Rage

DFI TEAM
Btw, updates on the Chenna Metro rail:

Note: These are very grain photos taken from a cell phone camera. Sorry about the clarity (or lack of).

RAM

The southern Man
Country flag
Jammu-Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla Rail Link (JUSBRL) Project-WORK IN PROGRESS

Banihal tunnel

Exit of the tunnel:

RAM

The southern Man
Country flag
Plush, high-speed metro line fast-tracks Delhi airport commute

After a world-class airport terminal, Delhi can now look forward to a new world class railway link between the airport and city centre.

After inspecting the Airport Express Link, which connects the city centre to the airport by metro rail, the Chief Minister, Ms Shiela Dikshit, announced that the line is ready and set to start operations in 10 days. The start of regular operations will cut down the travel time from the city centre to the airport to just 18 minutes from the current over 60 to 90 minutes.

The Link service will feature six-coach trains supplied by Spanish company CAF, each seating 800 passengers and capable of reaching a maximum speed of 135 kmph. Passengers making use of the Link will also have the option of checking in their bags at three Link stations — New Delhi, Shivaji Stadium and Dhaula Kuan — rather than at the airport.

While the three Link stations are fitted with check-in counters with automated baggage handling systems, it is not clear as to how many airlines would be present at these terminals at the time of the launch. Officials indicated that a mix of domestic and international airlines are likely to make use of the new check-in facility.

A passenger travelling from the city to the airport will arrive at the metro station at the IGI Airport's Terminal 3 which is integrated with the main terminal area and will not need to step out on the public road to get in and out of the arrival/departures area.

The line, built at a cost of Rs 5,700 crore, boasts world-class features such as platform screen doors for increased safety and automated ticket vending machines for passenger ease. This is the first such metro line in the country which connects the airport to the city.

"The line is ready for operations. It has been built very beautifully. The formal opening of the line will take a month, but the trials/operations will start within a week," Ms Dikshit told reporters on Saturday.

Delhi Metro's Managing Director, Mr E. Sreedharan, said the line would be opened to the public after CISF personnel take charge of security at the stations. Around 150 to 200 CISF personnel could be posted along with vehicle-borne Quick Reaction Teams at all six stations of the 23-km corridor.

The project is being undertaken by Reliance Infra, the company in charge of operating the line for 30 years. Initially, the trains will run at speeds of 105 kmph but according to Mr Sreedharan, trial runs at 120 kmph will begin next week.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/industry-and-economy/logistics/article1159359.ece?homepage=true

Last edited by a moderator:

pmaitra

Rail Coach Factory - Kapurthala

Rail Coach Factory - Kapurthala

Last edited by a moderator:

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
We see all new design coaches being introduced only in Northern part of INDIA. Why does the INDIAN railway ministry launch the newly designed coaches which are good looking and more passenger friendly coaches in all parts of INDIA? I am from Andhra Pradesh. I see some coaches being good and other coaches being bad. I am talking about all types of coaches like normal three-tier, A.C. three-tier and two-tier and also first class A.C. Once when i was travelling in A.C. three-tier i asked my fellow passenger about the difference, he told that the coaches which are old arebeing given or made use of in the southern part and the newly made or designed coaches are launched only in northern parts. Why is the GoI showing partiality?

anoop_mig25

Country flag
^^^^ i thinks its because of for last decades or even back persons form north indian state become railway minister (specially those form up and bihar). even though south indian has representative in indian railways in form state minsters but i doubt they are as powerful as real minsters

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Once when i was travelling in A.C. three-tier i asked my fellow passenger about the difference, he told that the coaches which are old arebeing given or made use of in the southern part and the newly made or designed coaches are launched only in northern parts. Why is the GoI showing partiality?
Actually It all over India, In last 6 months where ever i go, I noticed most three tiers don't have charging plugs even two tiers, Its really boring when u are traveling for 20-40 hours..

Plus better not go for First class Except Rajdhani..

Now days i am in middle of Orissa and Andhra, I got to admit South Indian Railway Coaches are very clean and Staff is very helpful specially regarding food..
Compare to Trains at North plus Eastern railways too..

pmaitra

^^ I'd second Kunal on this one. I have traveled extensively all across the country by train. I can definitely say (about stations and not trains) that South Indian stations are cleaner than the North Indian stations, although nowhere near North American stations in terms of cleanliness. The cleanest stations that I have seen are in Kerala.

warriorextreme

Country flag
there are charging points in deccan express which runs from mumbai to pune..but only two per coach

pmaitra

@Kunal w.r.t. post #231,

Good pictures Kunal. Thanks for posting.

Shredder

Country flag
Is there any plan currently/very near future to implement High speed rail in India on a large scale?

sandeepdg

Kunal bhai, which is this place in your pictures, the sixth photo from the top, i.e. the railway line passing beside a huge lake ? Its damn beautiful, man !!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Kunal bhai, which is this place in your pictures, the sixth photo from the top, i.e. the railway line passing beside a huge lake ? Its damn beautiful, man !!

I was traveling from Orissa to Shimla, The lake is Chilika the largest salt water lake in India...

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag

Near Aralvaimozhi, southwest Tamil Nadu.

Credit: Benhur, IRFCA

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles