Indian nuclear submarines

Twinblade

Country flag
HYDERABAD, January 27, 2013
India successfully test-fires underwater missile
Y. MALLIKARJUN
T. S. SUBRAMANIAN

With the completion of developmental trials, the process of integrating K-15 missile with INS Arihant, the indigenously-built nuclear submarine, will begin soon. As many as 12 nuclear-tipped missiles, each weighing six tonnes will be integrated with Arihant, which will be powered by an 80 MWt (thermal) reactor that uses enriched uranium as fuel and light water as coolant and moderator.
Meanwhile the reactor has been integrated with the submarine and it was expected to go critical in May/ June 2013. Once that was done, the harbour trials will begin.

Besides Arihant, three other nuclear-powered submarines were being constructed -- one at Visakhapatnam and two at Vadodara. India is also developing K-4 missile with a range of 3,000 km.
The Hindu : News / National : India successfully test-fires underwater missile

Interesting tidbit about upcoming nuclear subs. Not one, but two subs are being built in parallel. It means they have roped in Pipavav Shipyards, Vadodra, for nuclear sub construction !!

p2prada

Who put sanctions on you last time? :lol:

You've seen it before, and suffered arrested development because of it.
Pmaitra is right on this one. France withdrew support of Mirage-2000s during the Kargil war. It was the Israelis who supplied weapons for the Mirages after that.

The Hindu : News / National : India successfully test-fires underwater missile

Interesting tidbit about upcoming nuclear subs. Not one, but two subs are being built in parallel. It means they have roped in Pipavav Shipyards, Vadodra, for nuclear sub construction !!
I don't think it is very accurate. Feel it is very, very wrong.

L&T's Hazira unit fabricates the hull and the sub is assembled with the reactor in Vizag. This is what I know.

Pipavav shipyards have their only shipyard in Pipavav, Amreli, I suppose.

Country flag
Akula. Has been leased by india over a decade along with. A tupolev bomber was rumored
To have been part of the deal and not much happened only increase in defense purchases
From More than willing nation selling.

limit_sky

Second nuclear submarine headed for year-end launch - The Hindu

India to achieve N-arm triad in February - Times Of India

So,
1) Core already critical?
2) HATS was completed before January 2012?
3) SATS started since February 2012 and ended in 6 months thereafter?
4) WATS is pending due to K-15/B-5?

Where are we now in March 2013?

What is the status of K4 SLBM?
Answer above questions are in the following link
its from Dec. 2012
Any newer news is welcome.
Sea trials for nuke submarine INS Arihant set to begin soon : North, News - India Today

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Strategic Weapons: Indian SLBM Ready For Indian SSBN

Indian SLBM Ready For Indian SSBN

February 20, 2013: The Indian K15 SLBM (Sea Launched Ballistic Missile) underwent its final development test last month and will now be installed in the Arihant SSBN (nuclear powered ballistic missile carrying sub). This comes after five years of testing and tweaking. Back in 2008, India began a series of twelve test firings from a missile cell designed to fit into the Arihant. These test firings were not done from the Arihant but from the cell placed in the ground or underwater to simulate launch from the sub. Seven launches took place in 2008 and the rest since then. In 2007, India announced that it had perfected the technology for launching ballistic missiles from a submerged submarine. That meant the silo design had been perfected as well.

The seven ton K15 has a 700 kilometer range with a one ton warhead and 1,900 kilometers, with a 189 kg warhead. The latter weight is sufficient to handle a nuclear warhead if India has been successful in developing warhead technology to the same point the U.S. and Russia were over three decades ago.

The first SLBM was the U.S. Polaris A1, which began development 57 years ago and entered service in 1961. Like the K15 it was a two stage, solid fuel missile. The Polaris A1 weighed 13 tons, had a range of 2,200 kilometers and a one ton warhead.

It was in 2009 that India launched its first nuclear submarine, the INS Arihant (Destroyer of Enemies). This came after over a decade of planning and construction. What was not revealed at the times was that the Arihant was launched without its nuclear reactor, which was not ready until the following year.

The Arihant was launched when it was because work on the sub had been going on for more than a decade and it was becoming embarrassing to have nothing to show for all that effort. The first of six Arihants was supposed to enter service in 2008, as an SSBN. That was delayed and Arihant has only recently begun sea trials, which may take a while. The 6,000 ton Arihant has four vertical launch tubes, which can carry twelve (three per launch tune) smaller K15 missiles or four larger K-4 (based on the Agni 3) missiles, each with a range of 3,500 kilometers. The K-4 is still in development. Two more Arihants are under construction.

The Arihant is based on the Russian Charlie II sub, which it resembles. A leased Russian Akula II nuclear sub will basically serve as a training boat for India's new nuclear submarine force. Russia retired all its Charlie class subs in the early 1990s. India leased one from 1988-91, and gained a great deal of familiarity with it. The Charlie class had eight launch tubes, outside the pressure hull, for anti-ship missiles.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
who knows K15 is being installed in ATV.
If SATS started last month, then it should be over by Aug. WATS will start only after that provided DRDO is ready with K-15.

EoY 2013 looks promising for INS Arihant induction in IN, together with INS Aridhaman launch.

Bheeshma

The article is pure deception. Arihant has nothing to do with charlie class and no one will let out if and when the ship is deployed.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
found a pic on net, i crop it, as it shows something interesting. Looks like they have done this purposefully :hail:

looks like loading something heavy with crane.

from the pic

they appears to be doing this

to our navy and Drdo, cover up guys..........

Last edited:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Yeaaaaaa!!! :yey: :yey: :yey:

I love to see mating :drool: :drool: :drool:

found a pic on net, i crop it, as it shows something interesting. Looks like they have done this purposefully :hail:

looks like loading something heavy with crane.

from the pic

they appears to be doing this

to our navy and Drdo, cover up guys..........

lookieloo

we are poor country with limited budget so, one has to work within that.
I know. It's not the perfect boat for every job, but it is perfect for India's purposes. Of course, I think you'd be better off with 9 instead of just 4.

WMD

I know. It's not the perfect boat for every job, but it is perfect for India's purposes. Of course, I think you'd be better off with 9 instead of just 4.
after the 4 arihant class subs, the next subs r planned to b bigger and more capable with longer rage SLBMs.
but anyway it will take some time to complete all the 4 arihant subs.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
it means 4 big one or small 12 missiles (K15)

you can check the pic of inside the launch tube posted before in this thread.

lookieloo

it means 4 big one or small 12 missiles (K15)

you can check the pic of inside the launch tube posted before in this thread.
I was referring to the boats. Four is only sufficient to keep one on patrol at all times. Having nine would increase that to two or three (one to watch the pakies, one to watch China, and perhaps one more to snoop where needed).

Global Defence

New threads

Articles