Indian Army MRSAM

Scarface

F-35 is a rubbish many features of F 35 is there in sukhoi 30 mki like thrust vectoring, helmet mounted display and new radars ( I don't remember which band ones as I am writing from memory). I would have gone for slightly delayed FGFA than F 35 as joint production of FGFA will help us in developing AMCAs and AURA stealth planes.

There are some engine problems that I have heard but I don't think it will stall the project for long as whatever some fools might say, ultimately Russians will also use this as there main strike aircraft.
http://www.theatlantic.com/national...-weapon-that-costs-more-than-australia/72454/
I don't think you understand, The PAK FA engine doesn't exist at all.As of now the prototype is flying on AL-41Fs which is a variant of AL-31F,the same engine as Su-30 which has maintenance issues.

Izidilye 30 isn't even ready yet.

HMDS is available on most modern fighters it's no big deal

The F-35s HMDS is generations ahead of Su-30MKI.It can be used to designate targets for AAMs without actually having to turn the plane,you just need to look to designate your target.

There are other benefits to.I don't think we should replace PAK FA/FGFA with the F-35.We have invested money into it and we should get some returns instead we can use it as a stopgap until PAK FA is ready instead of buying inferior and more expensive Rafales

Indian Storm

I don't think you understand, The PAK FA engine doesn't exist at all.As of now the prototype is flying on AL-41Fs which is a variant of AL-31F,the same engine as Su-30 which has maintenance issues.

Izidilye 30 isn't even ready yet.

HMDS is available on most modern fighters it's no big deal

The F-35s HMDS is generations ahead of Su-30MKI.It can be used to designate targets for AAMs without actually having to turn the plane,you just need to look to designate your target.

There are other benefits to.I don't think we should replace PAK FA/FGFA with the F-35.We have invested money into it and we should get some returns instead we can use it as a stopgap until PAK FA is ready instead of buying inferior and more expensive Rafales
"The F-35s HMDS is generations ahead of Su-30MKI.It can be used to designate targets for AAMs without actually having to turn the plane,you just need to look to designate your target."
Not true, even Su 30 can be modified upto somewhat similar levels. Afterall Su 30 is an 4.5 + generation plane. Just look at Su34 how they have modified it to give 5th gen like capabilities save for stealth.
I too don't like rafales ( I would have gone for Gripen) but buying F 35 would have been a disaster. F-35 has such high maintenance costs and no one knows how "stealthy" it is. China and many others have already said that it can be detected so where is the benefit of spending so much on stealth? Moreover F-35 can't manoeuvre at all. Just imagine when it is up against Sukhois....Disaster.!

Scarface

"The F-35s HMDS is generations ahead of Su-30MKI.It can be used to designate targets for AAMs without actually having to turn the plane,you just need to look to designate your target."
Not true, even Su 30 can be modified upto somewhat similar levels. Afterall Su 30 is an 4.5 + generation plane. Just look at Su34 how they have modified it to give 5th gen like capabilities.
I too don't like rafales ( I would have gone for Gripen) but buying F 35 would have been a disaster. F-35 has such high maintenance costs and no one knows how "stealthy" it is. China and many others have already said that it can be detected so where is the benefit of spending so much on stealth? Moreover F-35 can't manoeuvre at all. Just imagine when it is up against Sukhois....Disaster.!
F-35 is a 5th Gen Fighter not 4.5
The Su-30MKI cannot designate targets by looking at them,no Russian plane can.F-35 has the best avionics and sensors in the world.Even the F-22 can't match it in that department.

The maintenance costs aren't out yet for the F-35 because the supply chain isn't fully set up yet,but the F-35 was designed with easy maintenance in mind and maintenance has been an issue with our MKIs so the extra cost has it's benefits.

You can estimate a cost yourself , for US the entire life cycle cost of 2443 f-35s for 56 years is 857 billion which brings per aircraft figure to 350-360 million for 56 years.Not very expensive.

The whole world knows how Stealthy the F-35 is. Published RCS figure of F-35 is 0.00143m^2,which is stealthier than the B-2 Stealth bomber.

If Stealth was that easy to counter China wouldn't be working itself off trying to make a functioning Stealth Fighter.China's J-31 is a poor man's F-35,ditto ripoff.

F-35 can maneuver fine.Recently the F-35 performed a Cobra maneuver which may not have actual combat use but it's a good demonstrator of the aircrafts Maneuverability. A 50 degree angle of attack and upto 100 without the limiter is fine.Nothing in this world can maneuver like Sukhois, doesn't mean everyone should buy them.F-35 has a BVR advantage.

You can discuss F-35 with me in the F-35 thread further if you want but, quote me there If you want to talk further on this topic. but I'm afraid I can't indulge in dispelling myths about the F-35 at the risk of detailing the thread.

AnantS

Country flag
OK, Even Saurav Jha just said on twitter, that he wants India to manufacture engines for Brahmos. Which means it has not started or critical tech(material or otherwise) for engine has not been given. The latter seems to be more likely the case as in the case of AL 31

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
But we have developed Pinaka now. I have full faith in my country that we will soon develop better versions of AAD/PAD systems,better Akash systems and so on. What is needed is some patience and some time.
Unrelated,Pinaka won't replace the need of Smerch due to its superior range.Paki weapon induction programme has got some edge over India both in terms of money and time require for induction.Notice our joke .... agreement on Ka 226,it was mentioned twice in joint statements in one year :lol:

While Russians denied us Smerch TOT, Pakis inducted Cheaper reverse engineered A - 100 with with greater range 120 KM than smerch 90 km.

They have the option of J 11, S 300 (HQ 9), J 31 etc etc with full TOT unlike India.

Israel is the only reliable defence partner of India IMO but PM don't have the time to even visit that country.

Last edited:

Indian Storm

Unrelated,Pinaka won't replace the need of Smerch due to its superior range.Paki weapon induction programme has got some edge over India both in terms of money and time require for induction.Notice our joke .... agreement on Ka 226,it was mentioned twice in joint statements in one year :lol:

While Russians denied us Smerch TOT, Pakis inducted Cheaper reverse engineered A - 100 with with greater range 120 KM than smerch 90 km.

They have the option of J 11, S 300 (HQ 9), J 31 etc etc with full TOT unlike India.

Israel is the only reliable defence partner of India IMO but PM don't have the time to even visit that country.
Be realistic.
A-100 is junk and a poor man's Smerch. Even the Chinese themselves don't use it and they have sold it to Pakis as Pakis do not have any other option.
Same goes with their toy called Al Khalid, which will not last 5 minute in a battlefield. Saudis rejected it and China uses that tank for target practice.
J 11 in Paki hands is not a threat to India. Why? First it is a reverse engineered Su 27 and we operate Su 30 which is already advanced and now add Israeli, Indian and French subsystems in our flankers. Moreover I highly doubt Pakistan's ability to maintain large fleets of twin engine fighter jets as they cannot manage all of their single engine F-16. If you remember the old times when Pakistan operated latest Sabres and were trained by best American pilots then also India pilots who used Hawker jets gave them such a defeat that Pakis ran to Iran for taking shelter.
HQ 9 is also not that serious threat as we have Harpy drones and as far as I know Pakis don't have any of those systems.
J 31 can be a serious game changer and as a last option we may have to buy F 35.

Don't worry about TOT. It is beneficial to those countries which have a lot of dedicated scientists and dedicated ecosystems and that requires a lot of investment. Pakistan has used every single penny for development of Nukes and as a result they are in no position to stand for 1 or 2 days in front of us in a conventional battle.

P.S. Budget to maintain INS Vikramaditya for one year ~ 7to 8 Billion USD
meanwhile entire defence budget of Pakistan ~ 8 Billion.

guru-dutt

what is the need of spending approximately 5 billion $ on 5 batteries of S-400 ?? just 5 are not enough for INDIA . the range of Russian s-400 is 400 km , but range of export version of s-400 is only 250 km ,that means we can not get (48N6) missiles with speed of Mach 6.2 , and range is also medium .

they will not give technology , we can not get get s-400 before 4-5 years as they have to deliver s-400 to both Russian as well as Chinese forces before they can give us .

on the other hand we have Akash Mk-II ,Barak 8 , Pradyumna Ballistic Missile Interceptor ,
Ashwin Ballistic Missile Interceptor etc .

as Russia is not selling S-400 to INDIA what are our other options ??

Cant we make our own Air- deference system comparable to S-500 with the help of Israel , in the next 8-10 years ??
do you expect russians to give there most priced weapon to india just like that after india bought a series of yamrikan platforms snubbing russkies ?

Indibomber

Do we know which missiles were we looking for with S-400?
If we were looking for 48N6 missiles its a slap on the face and we need to work with Israel to make a better system as we have with Barak 8. If we were looking for the longer range missiles then MTCR and China would have paid a huge role is stopping us from getting it. In either case "Made in India" system would be cool.

no smoking

Country flag
What presidents say or don't say is irrelevant,what's actually happening between us is what matters

U.S has dethroned Russia as our biggest defense supplier.
U.S is giving us EMALS for our carrier

U.S is an ally,said or un-said is anothee matter entirely
What U.S is selling you or going to sell you is irrelevant. French, British, Germany are selling key military tech to Chinese every year. Does these deal make them the allies of China? Of course not.

The only thing make you allies is the military explicitly or implicitly. So far there is no sign that either side made the promise.

pmaitra

No, FGFA = pilot and wizzo= 2 seats.
Also, I think sensor, avionics suite is different?
@gadeshi @Cadian @Backinblack @pmaitra
IAF wanted two member crew for FGFA. PAK-FA was envisaged as single crew as per evaluations by the Russians. This is not the only difference.

I don't know what the final decision will be.

Why is this thread is even open now? Has the deal been cancelled and OT knows it with some inside source? If not, the thread is meaningless till any confirmation regarding cancellation of the deal is got.
I agree. We need to wait for confirmation. We are only speculating now. I don't mind keeping this thread open, but F-35 related discussion has to go to the relevant thread.

Scarface

What U.S is selling you or going to sell you is irrelevant. French, British, Germany are selling key military tech to Chinese every year. Does these deal make them the allies of China? Of course not.

The only thing make you allies is the military explicitly or implicitly. So far there is no sign that either side made the promise.
I am not aware of any European critical technology being sold to the Chinese.

Enlighten me.If you are talking about Ukraine, then yes,they are allies with China,and is Europe the biggest supplier of arms to the Chinese ?

Weapons sales is how allies are made in the new world, India got close to Soviet Union by purchasing weapons to counter NATO weapons when opportunist Pakistan used our poor foreign policy to their advantage to get American tech

Our friendship with Israel really started to increase when they sold us LGBs during Kargil,so on and so forth

Weapons deals are a base for building better foreign relations

no smoking

Country flag

Enlighten me.If you are talking about Ukraine, then yes,they are allies with China,and is Europe the biggest supplier of arms to the Chinese ?
British's radar;
French's Helicopter tech;
German's AIP;
Italy's precise machine tool;

Weapons sales is how allies are made in the new world, India got close to Soviet Union by purchasing weapons to counter NATO weapons when opportunist Pakistan used our poor foreign policy to their advantage to get American tech
That is funny, because in the same time, the NATO members such British and French were selling you weapon as well. Were NATO also your ally in cold war?

And the reason USSR became your ally is: they came to defend you in 1971.

Our friendship with Israel really started to increase when they sold us LGBs during Kargil,so on and so forth.
Yes, as you said your "friendship" with Israel.

But "better foreign relations" doesn't necessary mean "ally".

Scarface

British's radar;
French's Helicopter tech;
German's AIP;
Italy's precise machine tool;

That is funny, because in the same time, the NATO members such British and French were selling you weapon as well. Were NATO also your ally in cold war?

And the reason USSR became your ally is: they came to defend you in 1971.

Yes, as you said your "friendship" with Israel.

But "better foreign relations" doesn't necessary mean "ally".
None of those things which Europeans are selling to Chinese can be considered key " weapons" tech
How many Rafales have been offered to China ? Eurofighters ? LECLERC ?.

I am only aware of India buying NATO weapons by the end of the cold war in 1980s - 1990s or before falling into Soviet Block,but even if NATO did sell us weapons back then I doubt they were our largest weapons suppliers like Russia was then and U.S is now.

Our "friendship" with Israel is undisputed too.

Better foreign relations are necessary for making allies

no smoking

Country flag
None of those things which Europeans are selling to Chinese can be considered key " weapons" tech.How many Rafales have been offered to China ? Eurofighters ? LECLERC ?.
With these techs, Chinese defence industries leap forward 20 years. Chinese already got everything they need to build their own "Rafale" and "LECLERC".

I am only aware of India buying NATO weapons by the end of the cold war in 1980s - 1990s or before falling into Soviet Block,but even if NATO did sell us weapons back then I doubt they were our largest weapons suppliers like Russia was then and U.S is now.
British carrier INS Vikrant played as backbone of your navy in 1965 and 1971 wars;
British made Hawker carried the attack from this carrier;
French Mirage 2000 provided great help in Kargil war.

Our "friendship" with Israel is undisputed too.
Better foreign relations are necessary for making allies
But, still, not "alliance".

amoy

Curious how do Indians define their “friendship”, like with Israel? [emoji1]

China can claim a friendship more profound with Israelis than India. A Defence Minister of Israel was a refugee born in Harbin China. Apart from secret defence ties, Israel awarded Ashdod and Haifa ports projects of strategic importance to Chinese state owned firms and approved import of up to 20.000 Chinese construction workers though Chinas govmt refused to let them work on the West Bank. Still moreover China voted in favour of the Palestinian statehood time and again.

India is no more than a client of Israel.

~Tapa talks: Orange is the new black.~

Last edited:

Yumdoot

Curious how do Indians define their “friendship”, like with Israel? [emoji1]

China can claim a friendship more profound with Israelis than India.
I would actually wish an Israeli friendship on you Chinese :pound:.

But more seriously there are all kinds of people in all directions but do not allow yourself to judge Indians by the lazy people who swear by the West on here.

With these techs, Chinese defence industries leap forward 20 years. Chinese already got everything they need to build their own "Rafale" and "LECLERC".
Congratulations for that. But believe me even a J-31 or the J-20 will turn out better than that level of tech. Which is one of the reasons why a lot of Indians with interest in Arms tech, are against Rafale (not saying that Rafale is totally useless). So I really fail to understand why this back and forth with other members.

British carrier INS Vikrant played as backbone of your navy in 1965 and 1971 wars;
A bunch of FYIs for you.
INS Vikrant sat out the 1965 war like our Air Force sat out the 1962 war. INS Vikrant was undergoing repairs and refurbishments. Strangely that did not stop the Pakis from claiming a kill on INS Vikrant....WTH :facepalm:.

In 1971, the INS Vikrant did do a lot of work but it did it in a state of impaired capacity. Only reason INS Vikrant worked was because of the excellent counter-intel work by Indian Intel and the completely bullshitty intel work by Pakis.

Imagine a new Paki commander searching for a ship inside the harbour where the prey was not present after near a weak past the point when PNS Ghazi should have been back to home base and then the most face-saving story being that the PNS Ghazi struck one of its own mines. Man you made my New Year this year. Happy New Year.

The case for Hawker Sea Hawks is even worse. We had, laboring under political stupidity, witnessed only in Indian subcontinent, bought a dead end aircraft with a dead end engine. You could say Sea Hawk was a Rafale of its times. The engine was a Centrifugal compressor engine. Something that was absolutely and clearly on its way out of aviation, with the world military aviation moving towards Axial compressor engines. The fcuking combination of INS Vikrant and Sea Hawks was so bloody funny that in one incident many years after the 71 war the catapult misfired, the Sea Hawk with a western pilot in it landed in water, INS Vikrant went right over the fcuking Sea Hawk and then the pilot ejected from under the water. :doh:

The western arms are basically the only reason you Chinese get to pass off as a more fearsome fighting force compared to us Indians. Had it not been for our selectee officer class, every single file soldier from the Indian side (right upto Col. level) is way better than a Chinese soldier.

Anywho just to correct your impressions the INS Vikrant had a complement of something like 8 Hawker Sea Hawks. Only idiots would get impressed/threatened by that. Only reason INS Vikrant seems to have worked well in 71 war was because:
1) the Indian Intel turned out superior and because the Indian Navy Brass turned out to be superior commander. They understood their SWOT better. Zimple as that. And kudos to that capacity. Hope the IN brass keeps its heads above the water all the times, figuratively speaking.
2) eastern front had only a brown water navy from the Pakis side. It was goddamned easy killing them off on the eastern front. Not belittling the IN on the eastern front but then the IN effort on the eastern front can never really match the effort and achievement on the Western front. The members who know their history know why. And most of the killer stuff on the western stuff was of Russian origin.

This is another myth that has gained ground only because of voluble western inspired propaganda. And general stupidity of some Indians, who also happen to be suckers for everything western.

Reality is we Indians let off a grand total of 9 Laser Guided Bombs in the Kargil wars. Ex-IAF honchos and fanboys generally credit a lot of undeserved success to the LGBs in Kargil but there has been some dissenting voices also where some people in the know have let out that the LGBs were a dead end idea for high altitude bombings. Reality is most of the bombing was done the old fashioned way. Fortunately the Mirage 2000 had some of the similar targeting equipment that Russians had but only better cued with lasers and faster onboard computing. Mirage 2000 had something like a rudimentary SVP-24. And despite that my guess is the Mig27 would have worked just as well. Russian in Afghanistan, nearly 10-15 years back had faced problems with their LGBs and they worked out a dumber alternative with about 30 ft CEP but without laser cueing.

And you should be thankful for that. Not being an ally allows you to look out for your own interests. Wish we can have some of that here in India.

Ok Happy New Year. BTW, is the Monkey year a good one or a bothersome one?

jaci_zenfone2

Our friendship with Israel really started to increase when they sold us LGBs during Kargil,so on and so forth

In 2012 Pratt & Whitney Canada (P&WC), a Canadian subsidiary of the US-based company
United Technologies Corporation (UTC), admitted to supplying components procured in the
USA for use in the development of China’s Z-10 combat helicopter, and to violations of US export
controls.

Sent from my ASUS_Z008D using Tapatalk

Scarface

Good for the Chinese, yet there's nothing sensitive about the technologies you listed.

I'm sure the Chinese belief that they have avionics or engines or experience in airframe designs as good as the Europeans has" some" truth to it.

But I'm yet to see the Chinese field anything close to Rafale or LECLERC,or for that matter anything not heavily plagiarized.

As far as Vikrant is concerned it was sold to us before falling into the Soviet Block 1957 and Mirages were sold to us in the mid 1980s when the Cold War was nearing is end and yet these don't come close to what we got from the Russians who became our allies due to Defence deals.

Friendship is something bigger than an alliance

jaci_zenfone2

Good for the Chinese, yet there's nothing sensitive about the technologies you listed.

I'm sure the Chinese belief that they have avionics or engines or experience in airframe designs as good as the Europeans has" some" truth to it.

But I'm yet to see the Chinese field anything close to Rafale or LECLERC,or for that matter anything not heavily plagiarized.

As far as Vikrant is concerned it was sold to us before falling into the Soviet Block 1957 and Mirages were sold to us in the mid 1980s when the Cold War was nearing is end and yet these don't come close to what we got from the Russians who became our allies due to Defence deals.

In the 1990s P&WC had agreed to take part in a joint project with Eurocopter Southern Africa to assist the China Aviation Industry Corporation with its helicopter programme.P&WC’s involvement included the transfer of PT6C-67C turbo shaft engines
containing the electric-engine control system produced by the US-based company Hamilton Sundstrand Cooperation (HSC), another subsidiary of UTC.

jaci_zenfone2

In the mid-to-late 2000s US diplomats
lobbied European officials to block the transfer to China of satellite technology under the Galileo programme.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles