Indian Army MRSAM

Scarface

Russia does not have the funds see link I posted previously. PAKFA is being developed most likely with 100 percent Indian funding. Chinese are also being offered PAKFA and buying? Something Russia and China both probably laughing about.
Sad really,we fund the damn thing and they don't even let us test it.

Indian Storm

Country flag
Sad really,we fund the damn thing and they don't even let us test it.
At least when we signed the contract to fund it we should have had control over who it is sold too. If China gets it then Pakistan will also learn about it.

Country flag
That does not make much sense. I have never heard of any US president saying that India is an important "Non NATO" ally a term frequently used for Pakistan.
Yes relationship with USA has improved and will improve but does not mean that we are "key allies".
It is a defense pact by 2 governments . What any president has said or not said is irrelevant.
Defense pact means we are allies key or some other label is meaningless. Japan is a major US ally but it is never talked about.

Indian Storm

I agree we are not buying to modify or resell . But we can license different missile production. The TOT on missile production is what killed the smerch deal.
But we have developed Pinaka now. I have full faith in my country that we will soon develop better versions of AAD/PAD systems,better Akash systems and so on. What is needed is some patience and some time.

Scarface

That does not make much sense. I have never heard of any US president saying that India is an important "Non NATO" ally a term frequently used for Pakistan.
Yes relationship with USA has improved and will improve but does not mean that we are "key allies".
What presidents say or don't say is irrelevant,what's actually happening between us is what matters

U.S has dethroned Russia as our biggest defense supplier.
U.S is giving us EMALS for our carrier

U.S is an ally,said or un-said is anothee matter entirely

Indian Storm

It is a defense pact by 2 governments . What any president has said or not said is irrelevant.
Then why do Obama frequently mentions the same thing regarding Pakis? As I said US is important trading partner of India (and even China) and we have become real close these days. But we are not 'key allies'. And if we are not key allies that does not mean we are enemies. But there are certain clash of interests.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
At least when we signed the contract to fund it we should have had control over who it is sold too. If China gets it then Pakistan will also learn about it.
@Scarface
As per my understanding PAKFA is not funded by India, but FGFA is.
FGFA though based on PAKFA, is different.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Country flag
But we have developed Pinaka now. I have full faith in my country that we will soon develop better versions of AAD/PAD systems,better Akash systems and so on. What is needed is some patience and some time.
Our cooperation with Israel is also bearing results. Pinaka 2 is modeled after Israeli LORA. Nirbhay and Barak also have Israeli cooperation as well as many other things Phalcon AWACS , ELTA radar etc...

Indian Storm

@Scarface
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Pak fa is single pilot based and FGFA is 2 seater. But both of them has to be developed from a single type of prototypes. That is why there is frustration in IAF. However as some say India is not funding 100% of the project

Country flag
@Scarface
Correct me if I'm wrong.
PAKFA and FGFA are both SU-50 produce in the same factory. Only difference I know about PAKFA and FGFA is one has one seat (FGFA) and the other 2?

Indian Storm

Our cooperation with Israel is also bearing results. Pinaka 2 is modeled after Israeli LORA. Nirbhay and Barak also have Israeli cooperation as well as many other things Phalcon AWACS , ELTA radar etc...
Yes. Relationship with Israel is in a very sweat spot. Israel offered us a help during 1970s that they will bomb Pakistani reactors as they did with Iraqi ones but since our reactors were also located in East coast the offer was declined. Just imagine the course of history if we had based our Reactors on eastern coast like we did for our missile programs and Space Programs. :)

Scarface

@Scarface
Correct me if I'm wrong.
As others have pointed out both PAK FA and FGFA come from the same prototype and even though they are two different although slightly different aircraft they are being developed under the same joint program which India is footing 35% of the bill of and yet our AF hasn't been allowed to test fly it nor assess it's capabilities.

Both are going to be using the same avionics BTW ( Russian ones)

Indian Storm

As others have pointed out both PAK FA and FGFA come from the same prototype and even though they are two different although slightly different aircraft they are being developed under the same joint program which India is footing 35% of the bill of and yet our AF hasn't been allowed to test fly it nor assess it's capabilities.

Both are going to be using the same avionics BTW ( Russian ones)
Agreed to 'test flying' part but I guess we are allowed to assess its capabilities.
We should increase funding of our own AMCA and AURA but I guess for developing that too we would require FGFA.
FGFA mess is really a big pile of :bs: but the thing is our money is already in it and since this is so critical tech if not :russia: then who would have shared such tech with us?
Americans have also sucked a lot of money from NATO countries in F 35 and then also customers are not placing mass orders. Recently it was proclaimed that F 35 is costlier than Australia.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
No, FGFA = pilot and wizzo= 2 seats.
Also, I think sensor, avionics suite is different?
@gadeshi @Cadian @Backinblack @pmaitra
He was answering about funding, though on avionics you are right.

BTW the first question of the thread title is misleading, if Russia can sell S-400 to China why wont they sell it to us?

Last edited:

Scarface

Agreed to 'test flying' part but I guess we are allowed to assess its capabilities.
We should increase funding of our own AMCA and AURA but I guess for developing that too we would require FGFA.
FGFA mess is really a big pile of :bs: but the thing is our money is already in it and since this is so critical tech if not :russia: then who would have shared such tech with us?
Americans have also sucked a lot of money from NATO countries in F 35 and then also customers are not placing mass orders. Recently it was proclaimed that F 35 is costlier than Australia.

Yes, I agree about our investment should have some returns part and that's why I feel PAK FA shouldn't be discarded,at the end of the day it's still better than 4.5th Gen Fighters in most aspects but it's not ready yet and it will be a long time before it is. It doesn't have the engine that was supposed to power it (izidilye 30), the current ones are based on AL-31Fs which are maintenance hogs.

But we need to get our hands on a 5th gen aircraft ASAP because China won't be waiting for PAK FA to develop and they are making great headway on J-20 and 31 thanks to their hackers who stole Lockheeds Stealth tech.

And yours truly Uncle Sam is offering F-35 to any and all,and no , F-35 is cheaper than Eurocanards , it's a very cheap aircraft

Indian Storm

Yes, I agree about our investment should have some returns part and that's why I feel PAK FA shouldn't be discarded,at the end of the day it's still better than 4.5th Gen Fighters in most aspects but it's not ready yet and it will be a long time before it is. It doesn't have the engine that was supposed to power it (izidilye 30), the current ones are based on AL-31Fs which are maintenance hogs.

But we need to get our hands on a 5th gen aircraft ASAP because China won't be waiting for PAK FA to develop and they are making great headway on J-20 and 31 thanks to their hackers who stole Lockheeds Stealth tech.

And yours truly Uncle Sam is offering F-35 to any and all,and no , F-35 is cheaper than Eurocanards , it's a very cheap aircraft
F-35 is a rubbish many features of F 35 is there in sukhoi 30 mki like thrust vectoring, helmet mounted display and new radars ( I don't remember which band ones as I am writing from memory). I would have gone for slightly delayed FGFA than F 35 as joint production of FGFA will help us in developing AMCAs and AURA stealth planes.

There are some engine problems that I have heard but I don't think it will stall the project for long as whatever some fools might say, ultimately Russians will also use this as there main strike aircraft.
http://www.theatlantic.com/national...-weapon-that-costs-more-than-australia/72454/

http://in.rbth.com/blogs/2014/10/12/why_the_f-35_is_a_sitting_duck_for_the_flankers_38959

http://in.rbth.com/blogs/2015/03/11/how_russias_s-400_makes_the_f-35_obsolete_41895

Global Defence

New threads

Articles