Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

Vijyes

Actually original tender for MMRCA was only 120 jets & maybe some additional jets & both F16 and Gripen FAILED in those tests.
Secondly, we have to replace 350 odd migs in the next decade.Only logical choice is TEJAS..(It's of the same class).You would not replace migs with F16.So at least 16 Sq of Tejas is must.

"You guys must realize this is all the game of import mafia...repeating same what happened to MARUT..It's Déjà vu "

Coming to MMRCA.India must go for RAFALE MII there is no other way out.
So what would you get building(screwing) 60% of F16(4th gen not even 4.5) by value..few jobs????

Do you read all the posts in the thread or do you read only 1 or 2 posts and jump to conclusions and react? If you don't have the patience to read through, shut your mouth.

I have written several times before saying that only technology transfer is to be bought. How much more can I say?

tsunami

Country flag
No Rafale is not the best choice. Getting into a War with so many Rafales and Su-30MKI would mean due to heavy maintenance costs, India would run out of resources very soon.
There's a reason why US has 900+ Single Engine F-16s and lesser ,just 500,,more powerful twin engine F-15s. and even lesser
Ideally the combination should be 2/3 rd SE fighter and 1/3 twin engine fighter.

But as of now IAF is going for 80% twin engine fighter.

square

Strategic Issues
the cost of both f16 & gripen e expensive...

if the govt had that much money to buy 114 of them.....why did they dump the mmrca ??

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
the cost of both f16 & gripen e expensive...

if the govt had that much money to buy 114 of them.....why did they dump the mmrca ??
bro I don't. think govt will go for 114.....govt may sanction some ...to make iaf happy rest will be our tejas

but the picture. will be clear soon

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Well I think by the time AMCA arrives we would have increased the number of sanctioned squadrons.

Plus the initial requirement is around 200 jets(to replace jaguars and mugs+mirages).

I think if will have to put down a order of 400+ by late 2030 if amca arrives in earlier 2030.

By then we would have a pretty decent military industry, definitely not as big as USA but still quite strong.
Sorry for switching threads, but my answer could have derailed the AMCA thread.

If that happens, I would be the happiest man on this planet. But we know how US military industrial complex is trying to enter the Indian market in the big way, and how they have a nexus with the politicians in the US. We know how hard they lobby our forces and ministry and we know just how weak the air force is to lobbying. The requirement might be thereonce Jaguars, MiG-29 and Mirage are retired ~2030, but the Air Force might go for F-35 sighting its achievements in the last 13 years and the fact that AMCA has xyz problems.
The Air Force has never made a concerted effort in creating an indigenous aircraft industry. Our aircraft industry is the most successful in the rotorcraft area, we have the Army Aviation to thank for that. The Air Force killed Hf-73 and bought Jaguars. They are plotting to kill Tejas Mk2 and buy F-16. And this government might just let it happen because they do not consider the Defence Minister to be a serious portfolio. If this goes through, a nexus will form between the American MIC, the Indian private MIC (which will simply assemble American products here an rake in profit and a tag of advanced tech manufacturers without having to invest zilch in tech creation) and Air Force's corrupt brass. Now in 2030, we don't know what kind of a government will exist, but we can be sure of one thing: the people of this country will, at best, be just as apathetic to military matters as they are today. So imagine if Government of India also joins this insidious nexus to form an even stronger nexus of: American MIC-Indian private MIC-Corrupt officers of IAF-Corrupt politicians of GoI-Defence journalists with no morals. We can say bye bye to a AMCA Mk2 as well. And not just that, but a number of other indigenous products that could have been. But, we are going to loose a lot more than our Indigenous Military Industry. With the kind of interventionism that the Americans are habitual of perpetrating in countries all over the world, we are going to loose our sovereignty. People here are just not paying enough attention to this. All they are talking about is how squadrons strengths are falling and how we need to believe that Air Force has everything figured out, like @laughingbuddha says here:-
No matter how much we rant and tear our hair out, the IAF has decided upon a path to ensure squadron strength and battle plans must have been formulated accordingly.
If we thought Russian lobbying and arm twisting were bad, what do we think American lobbying, arm twisting and then invasion of sovereign independence is going to be like?

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag

If that happens, I would be the happiest man on this planet. But we know how US military industrial complex is trying to enter the Indian market in the big way, and how they have a nexus with the politicians in the US. We know how hard they lobby our forces and ministry and we know just how weak the air force is to lobbying. The requirement might be thereonce Jaguars, MiG-29 and Mirage are retired ~2030, but the Air Force might go for F-35 sighting its achievements in the last 13 years and the fact that AMCA has xyz problems.
The Air Force has never made a concerted effort in creating an indigenous aircraft industry. Our aircraft industry is the most successful in the rotorcraft area, we have the Army Aviation to thank for that. The Air Force killed Hf-73 and bought Jaguars. They are plotting to kill Tejas Mk2 and buy F-16. And this government might just let it happen because they do not consider the Defence Minister to be a serious portfolio. If this goes through, a nexus will form between the American MIC, the Indian private MIC (which will simply assemble American products here an rake in profit and a tag of advanced tech manufacturers without having to invest zilch in tech creation) and Air Force's corrupt brass. Now in 2030, we don't know what kind of a government will exist, but we can be sure of one thing: the people of this country will, at best, be just as apathetic to military matters as they are today. So imagine if Government of India also joins this insidious nexus to form an even stronger nexus of: American MIC-Indian private MIC-Corrupt officers of IAF-Corrupt politicians of GoI-Defence journalists with no morals. We can say bye bye to a AMCA Mk2 as well. And not just that, but a number of other indigenous products that could have been. But, we are going to loose a lot more than our Indigenous Military Industry. With the kind of interventionism that the Americans are habitual of perpetrating in countries all over the world, we are going to loose our sovereignty. People here are just not paying enough attention to this. All they are talking about is how squadrons strengths are falling and how we need to believe that Air Force has everything figured out, like @laughingbuddha says here:-

If we thought Russian lobbying and arm twisting were bad, what do we think American lobbying, arm twisting and then invasion of sovereign independence is going to be like?
So firstly we need to obliterate the import lobby or we are never gonna have a developed indigenous domestic military industrial complex.

Vijyes

Lobbying works depending on government. If there are moles in IAF, then lobbying is the least of the concerns

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
Mass production of LCA mk1 & mk2 and hopefully stealthy MK3, fast tracking of AMCA, pulling out of FGFA (and hopefully independently developing it since we have invested close to 300 million $ on it) is the way forward. We should also invest more in transport planes and aero-engines.

mystic avatar

Latest Update

• staff has been directed to make a brief report on F18
  • report to be submitted in month after Diwali holidays
  • further consultation with Boing is also open

F16/Gripen
  • Single engine is currently on priority
  • MoD wants to speed up process
  • File has been marked high priority
  • Lots of pressure from top

MKI Super upgrade
  • No progress made
  • File is not high priority

Rafale
  • no update on Rafale

binayak95

Country flag
Latest Update

• staff has been directed to make a brief report on F18
  • report to be submitted in month after Diwali holidays
  • further consultation with Boing is also open

F16/Gripen
  • Single engine is currently on priority
  • MoD wants to speed up process
  • File has been marked high priority
  • Lots of pressure from top

MKI Super upgrade
  • No progress made
  • File is not high priority

Rafale
  • no update on Rafale

F-18? Is this the one tied into Boeing's offer of partnering AMCA effort if we bought enough jets (including a Make In India plan) and added it to the Navy's Carrier wing?

Could you please shed some light!

Sometimes, I feel like tearing my hair out. Pehle offer kyun nahi kiye?? F-18 Advanced Horent is a much better deal than the F-16IN.

Chinmoy

Country flag
F-18? Is this the one tied into Boeing's offer of partnering AMCA effort if we bought enough jets (including a Make In India plan) and added it to the Navy's Carrier wing?

Could you please shed some light!

Sometimes, I feel like tearing my hair out. Pehle offer kyun nahi kiye?? F-18 Advanced Horent is a much better deal than the F-16IN.
F-18 is twin engine fighter. So no place for it to compete in SEF. It is for Naval purpose

binayak95

Country flag
F-18 is twin engine fighter. So no place for it to compete in SEF. It is for Naval purpose
Boeing has made a Unsolicited offer to GoI. this is confirmed news. Part of the offer is for Boeing to help co develop AMCA. Again, confirmed news.

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
Indian airforce in 2030

All these written content are my personal view ,will be happy enough if u all rectify

hope in 2030 we will have 42 squadrons... ......I am listing below the fighers

Single engine figher

1. Tejas IOC and foc(in that time all foc will be converted. to mk 1a)

2.all mk1a delivered

3.tejas mk2/gripen/f16 ......will be delivered

4.all mig 21 and 27 will be retired

5. jaguar may be in service (recently upgraded with aesa radar )

6.mirage will be in service

Twin engine fighter

1.fgfa(unconfirmed)

2.sukhoi ..will be upgraded with super sukhoi(depends upon fgfa deal ..)

3.hal amca induction will start

4.rafael delivered

5.mig 29 up gradation

helicopters

1.all Apache s delivered

2.all hal dhruv delivered

3. lch delivered

4.luh delivery

5.rudra delivered

6. imrh induction

7.chinhook delivered

drone

1. tapas 201 delivery

2. ghtak ucav delivery

air defence

1. mrsam induction

please inform ...if anything missed.... jay hind

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
Indian airforce in 2030

All these written content are my personal view ,will be happy enough if u all rectify

hope in 2030 we will have 42 squadrons... ......I am listing below the fighers

Single engine figher

1. Tejas IOC and foc(in that time all foc will be converted. to mk 1a)

2.all mk1a delivered

3.tejas mk2/gripen/f16 ......will be delivered

4.all mig 21 and 27 will be retired

5. jaguar may be in service (recently upgraded with aesa radar )

6.mirage will be in service

Twin engine fighter

1.fgfa(unconfirmed)

2.sukhoi ..will be upgraded with super sukhoi(depends upon fgfa deal ..)

3.hal amca induction will start

4.rafael delivered

5.mig 29 up gradation

helicopters

1.all Apache s delivered

2.all hal dhruv delivered

3. lch delivered

4.luh delivery

5.rudra delivered

6. imrh induction

7.chinhook delivered

drone

1. tapas 201 delivery

2. ghtak ucav delivery

air defence

1. mrsam induction

please inform ...if anything missed.... jay hind
Amca a is not possible before 2030.

-------------------------------------------------------

varun9509

Country flag
I might sound a little stupid ( cuz I don't know much about these stuff ), so please bear with me.

As @binayak95 pointed out, why doesn't the GOI/MOD considers buying F/A-18 instead of the F16 offered. See India wants a Medium class fighter, F18 fits that profile. Our navy is in dire need of a twin engine fighter other than Mig29. The same can be used by the Air Force. Unit cost is about the same. They don't want to offer ToT on some stuff, fine we have researches going in some fields anyway. We just want it mass produced and provided to our forces ASAP. With that GOI can still have the SP it is aiming for. If we are concerned about Yanks putting sanctions on the usage of their F18 in navy, we don't have any major naval war coming up, if there is we've got alternatives as well, and in future we have N-AMCA coming up. And just may be, we can use Safronised Kaveri to give it an extra boost.

This way we can work on many of our concerns and save Tejas as well.

Sent from my YU5510 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Global Defence

Articles