Indian Air Force Light Combat Aircraft Tejas India's Second Supersonic Fighter

sob

Mod
Country flag
So 4 aircraft almost ready.Good news for the program. Some quantities coming out now

WolfPack86

Country flag
First flight of the HAl Tejas Mk-1A variant is expected in 2020. And the squadron in AFS Sulur being equipped with Tejas Mk-1s will reach full strength before mid-2019 for sure.

WolfPack86

Country flag
BTW, IAF Chief, ACM Dhanoa has also said that the 'Tejas is a potent platform in ground attack as well as *air defence* role. and that 'For the air defence role, the aircraft has good AI radar capability and integration of BVR missile is in the final stage.' So there.

Reactions: Kay

sob

Mod
Country flag
If we have to wait till 2020 then HAL and ADA should work their ass off and jump straight to Mark 2. This Mark 1 A is neither here or there.

Kay

Country flag
If we have to wait till 2020 then HAL and ADA should work their ass off and jump straight to Mark 2. This Mark 1 A is neither here or there.
Actually Mark 1A is our best chance to get an Indian engine in an Indian aircraft.
Kaveri with higher thrust and similar weight and volume of GE 404 can be a drop in replacement for GE404.

Enquirer

First flight in 2020 means production/induction only in 2022/2023 onwards!! This is really pathetic!!

I beginning to believe that their may be truth in Dinakar Peri's report that Mk2 will be ready for induction only around 2027!!

Advaidhya Tiwari

First flight in 2020 means production/induction only in 2022/2023 onwards!! This is really pathetic!!

I beginning to believe that their may be truth in Dinakar Peri's report that Mk2 will be ready for induction only around 2027!!
Just like MK1 FOC and production will happen simultaneously, MK1A and production can also be simultaneous. MK1A is nit having new airframe but just new capabilities and subsystem change. It won't require 2-3 tetsing years as it is not a new plane but just an upgrade

Enquirer

Just like MK1 FOC and production will happen simultaneously, MK1A and production can also be simultaneous. MK1A is nit having new airframe but just new capabilities and subsystem change. It won't require 2-3 tetsing years as it is not a new plane but just an upgrade
Mk1A is getting a new RADAR for crying out loud!!!!
It needs to test the radar in ALL modes - including firing all types of missiles, ground mapping etc etc etc!!

Additionally the landing gear is supposedly new (& lighter) which will need testing!!!

All in all, it's a minimum of 2 years of testing to QUALIFY the fighter for FOC (Mk1A)!!

sob

Mod
Country flag
Actually Mark 1A is our best chance to get an Indian engine in an Indian aircraft.
Kaveri with higher thrust and similar weight and volume of GE 404 can be a drop in replacement for GE404.
Kaveri is a no brainer. We are going in for the GE 414 for the AMCA and it I better that we go in for the same for LCA Mk2.

sob

Mod
Country flag
Mk1A is getting a new RADAR for crying out loud!!!!
It needs to test the radar in ALL modes - including firing all types of missiles, ground mapping etc etc etc!!

Additionally the landing gear is supposedly new (& lighter) which will need testing!!!

All in all, it's a minimum of 2 years of testing to QUALIFY the fighter for FOC (Mk1A)!!
You are correct about the new Radar. Needs more space and that means will affect the design of the aircraft. But that was my point- if we have to tinker with the design and the engines GE 414 is ready then jump to MK 2. Start deliveries of MK1, let the pilots get used to it and slowly upgrade them to MK 2.

Enquirer

You are correct about the new Radar. Needs more space and that means will affect the design of the aircraft. But that was my point- if we have to tinker with the design and the engines GE 414 is ready then jump to MK 2. Start deliveries of MK1, let the pilots get used to it and slowly upgrade them to MK 2.
Mk2 development is happening in parallel. HAL was in-charge of Mk1A related changes; while ADA solely focuses on Mk2.

Mk2 was expected to have it's first flight by the end of this decade - not sure what's happening there either. I think I heard ADA chief say that the design is almost complete and they'll start building the prototype shortly. Of course, the qualification for Mk2 will take much longer time around 5 years!

But, for some reason if Mk1A gets delayed and Mk2 is ready then there's nothing more fortunate!

Reactions: sob

sob

Mod
Country flag
Mk2 development is happening in parallel. HAL was in-charge of Mk1A related changes; while ADA solely focuses on Mk2.

Mk2 was expected to have it's first flight by the end of this decade - not sure what's happening there either. I think I heard ADA chief say that the design is almost complete and they'll start building the prototype shortly. Of course, the qualification for Mk2 will take much longer time around 5 years!

But, for some reason Mk1A gets delayed and Mk2 is ready then there's nothing more fortunate!
These time lines are very scary. HAL and ADA have been guilty of huge delays. With the way LCA is going on, AMCA is just another figment of imagination.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles