Ghost Stories & other Paranormal Experiences

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
No, he left our college. He remained sick for few months. His parents didn't allow him to return back.
good. am sorry.

Anybody noticed that type of supernaturals are seen according to locations ?
In western countries other than ghosts and witches they also see vampires (and may be draculas). In india, people see ghosts, witches, ginn according to region.
other dimension entities, yes, vary from region-to-region. its two way - their presence/sightings influence the culture/traditions of that region, from terminology to everything, while also, the region's culture also influences the terms used, the legends, addition of local flavours, superstitions, etc. even movies & pop-culture also influence to a big extent, like what i've seen here on the forum, the members' notions about UFOs, ghosts, etc.

OTOH, there're 'multi-national'/multi-cultural entities too across the globe. so if we were to cite some based on region, we would have the doppelgangers (a spirit that takes your own form) in germany & nearby regions, the sinister black-robed witches of south america, the wailing banshee of ireland, the hounds of england, the infamous pontianak of malaysia, etc, etc. here i have considered only the entities from beyond the veil, and not any crypto creatures. funnily, i havent come across any reports of sightings of draculaish vampires atleast from the modern history, not even from romania! may be there are reports, but i havent come across.

the MN/MC entities would be, ofc, the human & animal spirits/left-over consciousness, the Yeti & its global cousins of bigfoot/sasquatch-yeren (china)-orang pendek (indonesia/malaysia)-almas (russia)-yowie (australia), etc. [i have for the moment stopped considering this 'specie' as some crypto-animal for some good reasons, hence mentioned them here], the water-entities, elementals, the 'little/fairy people' (elves, goblins, duende, etc. i am aware of an org that does an excellent study of reports & sightings of these worldwide)........in all these, i find the legends of the tribals/aboriginals/native americans/irishmen as excellent sources to understand/identify, esp. any report/sighting in their context, for they shed much light on the phenomena, and also because what used to be usually dismissed by man till some decades ago, reports have repeatedly come corroborating them (most though still refrain from reporting, for fear of ridicule).

One mysterious death that happened in my own Muhalla some 8 years ago, my birth place is Rajim but I used to live in Nawapara which is a town at 1 km distance crossing Mahanadi. In my muhalla a boy used to live with his family , his name was Ravi Nishad, one more boy lives there and his name is Ravi Kansari, they were good friend and both were poor. Nishad used to work in a Rice Mill, one day he had some heated arguments with an old village lady. That lady threatened him that she will "eat" him. No one took it seriously, after working hours Nishad returned to his home and slept after dinner, in the night he woke up because of stomach ache but he saw that old lady sitting in his bed , he shouted "what are you doing?" She said "I'll eat you!" And started to bite his stomach, he tried to stop but he couldn't move his limb, it was painful so he started to cry aloud. His parents arrived there and asked him what happened, he pointed at the lady and asked them to stop her, but his parents couldn't see anyone. Suddenly the lady disappeared. Next morning they took him to a doctor, and he felt better. But in the night it happened again this time he started to bleed at his stomach, no one could understand what was happening, the boy kept shouting "she is eating me". Third night he passed away due to bleeding.

I personally knew him, his friend Ravi Kansari knew everything and he told me all this, the boy aged 17 years died mysteriously.
this is so reminding of the bell witch case!

angrez tantriks r exclusive

:biggrin2: :biggrin2: :biggrin2:

desi tantriks r inclusive they take what ever u have....
they force both the spirit and the stupid follower to reveal ( if female :drool: ) or part ( if male ) with everything

:pound::pound::pound:
looks like literally, like the instance which i wrote of earlier, where a muslim tantrik suggested the affected family on installing a special form of Ganesh and instructed them on how to perform rituals.

Bharat Ek Khoj

funnily, i havent come across any reports of sightings of draculaish vampires atleast from the modern history
Thats the point. One sees something according to surrounding belief. Dracula was seen when it was popular, vampires are seen today.
Vampires are not seen in india. Ghost possessing body, ghost roaming free in some areas and chudail ( witch) are common here where I live, though I haven't heard any stories in last 15-20 years of any ghost. Also such things/stories are more common in village than city.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
Thats the point. One sees something according to surrounding belief. Dracula was seen when it was popular, vampires are seen today.
Vampires are not seen in india. Ghost possessing body, ghost roaming free in some areas and chudail ( witch) are common here where I live, though I haven't heard any stories in last 15-20 years of any ghost. Also such things/stories are more common in village than city.
dracula was a fictional character, perhaps inspired from vlad the impaler of romania. vampires though, have been mentioned in local legends in the world. rest is all movie-propagated stuff.
many possession (majority, perhaps) cases can be attributed to mental aberrations (including multiple personality disorder) or attention-seeking....but even in some of those, i suspect snapping of mental faculties could also have to do with an external entity that may be sapping the victim's enery in order to manifest itself or to avail sensory benefits. just my thought, but worth pondering over.
these happen in cities too, albeit less, yes, but are usually suppressed or go unreported. however all over the world most instances are reported from countryside & rather remote locations (including of the UFO/USO phenomenon), due to multiple reasons.

Bharat Ek Khoj

vampires though, have been mentioned in local legends in the world. rest is all movie-propagated stuff.
Thats why its common there, no in india.

however all over the world most instances are reported from countryside & rather remote locations (including of the UFO/USO phenomenon), due to multiple reasons.
UFOs are most seen in USA, not india. They have hundreds of movies and TV serials related UFOs and aliens. May be thats why they see it.

Last edited:

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
Thats why its common there, no in india.
not so. not common. infact, i may say not there. if i have not come across them, then they are not there. :D

UFOs are most seen in USA, not india. They have hundreds of movies and TV serials related UFOs and aliens. May be thats why they see it.
UFOs are seen in India as well, and there are cases of abductions too. but like i wrote earlier, a developing country like India, coming to grips with modernity, late than others, is stuck in that era in which the west was in general, till some decades back. like the story of the pager. when the pager was discarded and being put out of use, it became a rage in India. similarly, India has been in that stage where the west was many years back. now while that side is quite exploring and seeking answers, India/Indians still stuck in the inferiority complex, think dismissively of such things (without honest probing, which's typical of a dismissive attitude anyhow) & take pride in that. however, am glad to note that things are gradually changing, with the younger generation(s).

P.S. - movies & serials came later, after the sightings; and what the people there experience is mind-bogglingly far from what the visual media feeds them.

Bharat Ek Khoj

Not a ghost story, just a funny one.
There was a time when Ramsay brothers were famous for making ghost related movies in Hindi Cinema. That was a time of VCR player.
Once we boys (neighbor) gathered to watch ramsay's horror movie. As soon as the ghost appeared on screen, a friend put his hand on another boy's shoulder suddenly who was sitting ahead of him. The guy screamed mummyyyy, started crying and left immediately :rofl: Poor chap.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
i guess experiences of others would count, not necessarily Indian? i will share then. that way y'all will also get to know about some new stuff you guys might be unaware of about these phenomena (i will also write my own comments at the end often, where reqd).

@alphacentury - i remember i have to write about Carpit saaheb's experiences. i will also share an experience of late Kenneth Anderson, who was called the Corbett of South India. unlike Carpit saahab, he settled down in Bengaluru post-independence. am looking for Carpit saahab's experiences' description in his own words, as my writing am sure wont generate that feel of awe and excitement. same for Ken's too. though of Ken, i'll just upload pics of the pages where he has written about it.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
My mom used to tell me her childhood ghostly experience, narrating here.

Mom was at class 6th then around 1958 , she used to go to her friend's home every evening to hear stories and puzzles from her grandpa, she used to return around 9pm , but one day she got late and she came back at 11pm , friend's home was in a street at the back side of our home and there was a backdoor through which mom used to go there, so when she was coming back she saw a man standing opposite to our backdoor at 7-8 feets, he had rested his shoulder on the wall, he was wearing "Khumari" (cowboy hat in Chhattisgarhi) and a stick in his hand, lungi and kurta, he was still, silent , looking at the ground; my mom asked him "Kaun as gaa?" (Who are you?) , no reply, she repeated her question, again no reply, as she was repeating the question again she suddenly felt thrill and got afraid, rather than stepping inside the door she ran back to her friend's house, she told everyone that a man is standing there , and he is not saying a word, so I came back, hearing this all the elders came with her to our backdoor and mom pointed at where he was standing but no one was there, they said to mom "Kuchh nai hai unha beti ghar ja" (there is nothing beti go home) then my mom came back to home. After two days she came to know that a Rawat (a kettleman) or Gwala died there some years ago, many people had seen him standing there.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
This aunt of mine always tells so many ghost stories but I have forgotten most. But here is a real one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, my aunt used to sleep on the ground floor in the village while the kitchen was on first floor. On the ground floor there were two rooms, one for my cousins and other for my aunt. One night she finished her household chores and went down to sleep. My cousins were still studying and it must be around 9-10pm. She went from their room to her own and saw shining eyes in the dark. She got super scared and ran back to my cousins' room but could not speak anything for a while as she was scared. When she told there are some weird eyes in the room, my cousins made fun of her. They said- they have been there since evening and saw no one coming. So she must be hallucinating.

But now they decided to go and check. One of them held the lamps and the other walked in. They saw nothing in the room, till one of them got pushed back hard and hit the wall. And they saw a figure running. It seemed figure of a girl. So my cousin decided to chase her. She kept running, he kept running. I guess he caught up with her after a km or so and brought her back.

So apparently this girl(around 18-20yrs) ran away from her house and found our doors open so decided to sneak in and sleep for the night. But then she got caught and was sent back to her home next day.

My aunt still kept scared for half of the night and still says, those eyes looked like eyes of a ghost!!

A chauhan

Country flag
One funny incident I would like to tell, a girl used to do Jhaadu pochha at our home her name was "Rongo boti" she was Udiya. That time my home had a Parachhi (a shed in which we used to park our bikes and bicycles) there were some chairs in that place where we used to chat and pass time, one day I, mom , papa , my sister and Rongo Boti was sitting there, and there was heavy rain Moosladhar type. Rongo was sitting in a chair just beside the main door of my home. We were playing cards, suddenly lights went off, we lit up a Chimney (a bottle with kerosene and wick) then we started to tell horror stories to each other, I was narrating a story and for humor I loudly said "Tabhi achanak darwaza jor se khula aur Chudail andar aa gai" just as I completed my sentence the main door of our home opened with loud sound "bhadaak" , Rongo screamed like hell "Maa.........." For a second we all got shocked, then laughed like hell.:lol: door opened because of rainy winds but the timing was great. :lol:

A chauhan

Country flag
This aunt of mine always tells so many ghost stories but I have forgotten most. But here is a real one.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, my aunt used to sleep on the ground floor in the village while the kitchen was on first floor. On the ground floor there were two rooms, one for my cousins and other for my aunt. One night she finished her household chores and went down to sleep. My cousins were still studying and it must be around 9-10pm. She went from their room to her own and saw shining eyes in the dark. She got super scared and ran back to my cousins' room but could not speak anything for a while as she was scared. When she told there are some weird eyes in the room, my cousins made fun of her. They said- they have been there since evening and saw no one coming. So she must be hallucinating.

But now they decided to go and check. One of them held the lamps and the other walked in. They saw nothing in the room, till one of them got pushed back hard and hit the wall. And they saw a figure running. It seemed figure of a girl. So my cousin decided to chase her. She kept running, he kept running. I guess he caught up with her after a km or so and brought her back.

So apparently this girl(around 18-20yrs) ran away from her house and found our doors open so decided to sneak in and sleep for the night. But then she got caught and was sent back to her home next day.

My aunt still kept scared for half of the night and still says, those eyes looked like eyes of a ghost!!
I am waiting for a truly ghostly experience story from you , in the end of your stories no ghost appear. Dig your memory ! :)

Edit:- ok my bad! I read your inverted legs ghost story and it was really a ghost story.

Last edited:

Swaraj

dear god... .....................................................................................................................

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
I am waiting for a truly ghostly experience story from you , in the end of your stories no ghost appear. Dig your memory ! :)

Edit:- ok my bad! I read your inverted legs ghost story and it was really a ghost story.
Can't you see I am trying to sabotage the idea of this thread by showing that there are no ghosts!!

brational

Country flag
Mayong has lost its charm. But an interesting thing that occurs often in the vicinity of Mayong and it is quite funny.

There is a place called Dharamtul on the way from Guwahati to Nagaon. Dharamtul is merely 10 km from mayong. The area is surrounded by rivers and water bodies. There is a bridge over Kapili river near Dharamtul and while driving through this stretch you will find local fishermen selling fish on both sides of the road. These Fishes are fresh catch of local Cat Fish like Bwal, Ari etc. The bigger the size, the better. They hang these Fishes to lure the passers and the sizes make one stop and buy. You need to buy them full and you can't weigh them because it is not a common practice to buy fish in villages. You can only guess the weight of the fish.

People stop there, buy Fishes, keep them in the car and move away. The funny part starts from here. Once you reach home your fish becomes half the size.

It happened with me every time i bought fish from that place. Probably they create a visual illusion or haath ka safaai in the process. But this is a common phenomena about that place. Everyone share similar experience about that place.

off topic but related and fun fact

Mayong
(Assamese: মায়ং) or Mayang, also known as the Land of Black Magic, is a village in Morigaon district, Assam, India. It lies on the bank of the river Brahmaputra, approximately 40 km (25 mi) from the city of Guwahati. Once considered the cradle of black magic in India, Mayong is a tourist attraction because of its history.

The origins of the name may be based on any of several sources including the Sanskrit word Maya (illusion), the Dimasa word for an elephant (Miyong). There is also a legend associated with the name, it is said that the sacred parts of Godess Shakti, hence the older generation called it as Maa- R- Ongo, (parts of the goddess ), and later on it became Mayong.Some believe that Manipuris from the Moirang clan used to inhabit this area therefore; the name Moirang became Mayhong with time.

Mayong along with Pragjyotishpura (the ancient name of Assam) find place in many mythological epics, including the Mahabharata. Chief Ghatotkacha of Kachari Kingdom took part in The Great Battle of Mahabharata with his magical powers. It was also said about the Mayong that the saints of black magic and the witches take shelter in mayong forest till now.According to recently published article on Mayong - Land of Black Magic and Witchcraft - Many tales of men disappearing into thin air, people being converted into animals, or beasts being magically tamed, have been associated with Mayong. Sorcery and magic were traditionally practiced and passed down over generations.

According to history, Narabali or human sacrifices were carried out in connection with the worship of Shakti till the early modern period. Excavators had recently dug up swords and other sharp weapons that resembled tools used for human sacrifice in other parts of the country. The swords resemble ones used for human sacrifice other parts of India, suggesting that human sacrifice may have occurred in the Ahom era in Mayong.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
My mom used to tell me her childhood ghostly experience, narrating here.

Mom was at class 6th then around 1958 , she used to go to her friend's home every evening to hear stories and puzzles from her grandpa, she used to return around 9pm , but one day she got late and she came back at 11pm , friend's home was in a street at the back side of our home and there was a backdoor through which mom used to go there, so when she was coming back she saw a man standing opposite to our backdoor at 7-8 feets, he had rested his shoulder on the wall, he was wearing "Khumari" (cowboy hat in Chhattisgarhi) and a stick in his hand, lungi and kurta, he was still, silent , looking at the ground; my mom asked him "Kaun as gaa?" (Who are you?) , no reply, she repeated her question, again no reply, as she was repeating the question again she suddenly felt thrill and got afraid, rather than stepping inside the door she ran back to her friend's house, she told everyone that a man is standing there , and he is not saying a word, so I came back, hearing this all the elders came with her to our backdoor and mom pointed at where he was standing but no one was there, they said to mom "Kuchh nai hai unha beti ghar ja" (there is nothing beti go home) then my mom came back to home. After two days she came to know that a Rawat (a kettleman) or Gwala died there some years ago, many people had seen him standing there.
you seem to be a meticulous person, having noted (all) your and your relations' experiences in details probably in writing somewhere.
mind if I share some of these (esp. the shadowman one) with a researcher? I will share his own experiences and updates too here at times.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
@alphacentury @Razor

first in the series (2 more to go).......

this is from the retelling of the legendary Carpit saahib about his hunt for the Thak man-eating tigress, a small hamlet/village in Kumaon.

I highly suggest fellows here to read this while iron maiden's 'blood brothers' & 'dance of death' are playing in your earphones! I had 'discovered' both Jim Corbett & iron maiden on some stormy nights like this wonlee years back! what a FINE combo eet eeees!! :clap2:

okay. excerpt from 'the Thak man-eater':

......................On arrival at the stump to which it had been tied I saw that the buffalo had been dragged off the path and partly eaten, and on examining the animal I found that it had not been killed by the tigress but that it had in all probability died of snake-bite (there were many hamadryads in the surrounding jungles), and that, finding it lying dead on the path, the tigress had eaten a meal off it and had then tried to drag it away. When she found she could not break the rope, she had partly covered the kill over with dry leaves and brush-wood and continued on her way up to Thak.

Tigers as a rule are not carrion eaters but they do on occasions eat animals they themselves have not killed. For instance, on one occasion I left the carcass of a leopard on a fire track and, when I returned next morning to recover a knife I had forgotten, I found that a tiger had removed the carcass to a distance of a hundred yards and eaten two-thirds of it.

On my way up from Chuka I had dismantled the machan I had sat on the previous night, and while two of my men climbed into the almond tree to make a seat for me—the tree was not big enough for a machan—the other four went to the spring to fill a kettle and boil some water for tea. By 4 p.m. I had partaken of a light meal of biscuits and tea which would have to keep me going until next day, and refusing the men's request to be permitted to stay the night in one of the houses in Thak, I sent them back to camp. There was a certain amount of risk in doing this, but it was nothing compared to the risk they would run if they spent the night in Thak.

My seat on the tree consisted of several strands of rope tied between two upright branches, with a couple of strands lower down for my feet to rest on. When I had settled down comfortably I pulled the branches round me and secured them in position with a thin cord, leaving a small opening to see and fire through. My 'hide’ was soon tested, for shortly after the men had gone the two magpies returned, and attracted others, and nine of them fed on the kill until dusk. The presence of the birds enabled me to get some sleep, for they would have given me warning of the tigress's approach, and with their departure my all-night vigil started.

There was still sufficient daylight to shoot by when the moon, a day off the full, rose over the Nepal hills behind me and flooded the hillside with brilliant light. The rain of the previous night had cleared the atmosphere of dust and smoke and, after the moon had been up a few minutes, the light was so good that I was able to see a sambur and her young one feeding in a field of wheat a hundred and fifty yards away.

The dead buffalo was directly in front and about twenty yards away, and the path along which I expected the tigress to come was two or three yards nearer, so I should have an easy shot at a range at which it would be impossible to miss the tigress—provided she came; and there was no reason why she should not do so.

The moon had been up two hours, and the sambur had approached to within fifty yards of my tree, when a kakar started barking on the hill just above the village. The kakar had been barking for some minutes when suddenly a scream which I can only very inadequately describe as 'Ar-Ar-Arr' dying away on a long-drawn-out note, came from the direction of the village. So sudden and so unexpected had the scream been that I involuntarily stood up with the intention of slipping down from the tree and dashing up to the village, for the thought flashed through my mind that the man-eater was killing one of my men. Then in a second flash of thought I remembered I had counted them one by one as they had passed my tree, and that I had watched them out of sight on their way back to camp to see if they were obeying my instructions to keep close together.

The scream had been the despairing cry of a human being in mortal agony, and reason questioned how such a sound could have come from a deserted village. It was not a thing of my imagination, for the kakar had heard it and had abruptly stopped barking, and the sambur had dashed away across the fields closely followed by her young one. Two days previously, when I had escorted the men to the village, I had remarked that they appeared to be very confiding to leave their property behind doors that were not even shut or latched, and the Headman had answered that even if their village remained untenanted for years their property would be quite safe, for they were priests of Punagiri and no one would dream of robbing them; he added that as long as the tigress lived she was a better guard of their property—if guard were needed—than any hundred men could be, for no one in all that countryside would dare to approach the village, for any purpose, through the dense forests that surrounded it, unless escorted by me as they had been.

The screams were not repeated, and as there appeared to be nothing that I could do I settled down again on my rope seat. At 10 p.m. a kakar that was feeding on the young wheat crop at the lower end of the fields dashed away barking, and a minute later the tigress called twice. She had now left the village and was on the move, and even if she did not fancy having another meal off the buffalo there was every hope of her coming along the path which she had used twice every day for the past few days. With finger on trigger and eyes straining on the path I sat hour after hour until daylight succeeded moonlight, and when the sun had been up an hour, my men returned. Very thoughtfully they had brought a bundle of dry wood with them, and in a surprisingly short time I was sitting down to a hot cup of tea. The tigress may have been lurking in the bushes close to us, or she may have been miles away, for after she had called at 10 p.m. the jungles had been silent.

When I got back to camp I found a number of men sitting near my tent. Some of these men had come to inquire what luck I had had the previous night, and others had come to tell me that the tigress had called from midnight to a little before sunrise at the foot of the hill, and that all the labourers engaged in the forests and on the new export road were too frightened to go to work. I had already heard about the tigress from my men, who had informed me that, together with the thousands of men who were camped round Chuka, they had sat up all night to keep big fires going.

Among the men collected near my tent was the Headman of Thak, and when the others had gone I questioned him about the kill at Thak on the 12th of the month when he so narrowly escaped falling a victim to the man-eater.

Once again the Headman told me in great detail how he had gone to his fields to dig ginger, taking his grandchild with him, and how on hearing his wife calling he had caught the child's hand and run back to the house—where his wife had said a word or two to him about not keeping his ears open and thereby endangering his own and the child's life—and how a few minutes later the tigress had killed a man while he was cutting leaves off a tree in a field above his house.

All this part of the story I had heard before, and I now asked him if he had actually seen the tigress killing the man. His answer was, no; and he added that the tree was not visible from where he had been standing. I then asked him how he knew the man had been killed, and he said, because he had heard him. In reply to further questions he said the man had not called for help but had cried out; and when asked if he had cried out once he said, 'No, three times ', and then at my request he gave an imitation of the man's cry. It was the same—but a very modified rendering—as the screams I had heard the previous night.

I then told him what I had heard and asked him if it was possible for anyone to have arrived at the village accidentally, and his answer was an emphatic negative. There were only two paths leading to Thak, and every man, woman, and child in the villages through which these two paths passed knew that Thak was deserted and the reason for its being so. It was known throughout the district that it was dangerous to go near Thak in daylight, and it was therefore quite impossible for anyone to have been in the village at eight o'clock the previous night.

When asked if he could give any explanation for screams having come from a village in which there could not—according to him—have been any human beings, his answer was that he could not.

And as I could do no better than the Headman it were best to assume that neither the kakar, the sambur, nor I heard those very real screams—the screams of a human being in mortal agony..........................
the 2nd in this series would cover Corbett's experience in a haunted circuit-house. it'll be a challenge to find it as Carpit saahib skipped describing it saying that a book on wild should not have such a thing in it; it'll find place in some other. but I surely recall reading it somewhere. just where, cant remember. if cannot find it, will write it myself.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles