DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Gyyyan

Country flag
What is the jugaad you want? India wants shortcut to getting a plane design as even with all tech, designing is still a big process. If India can get the design blueprints for Rafale like size of each part, actuator configuration, FBW and other aspects related to aerodynamics, stability, airframe etc, it will make it easy for India to just plug and play its tech. India is seeking design transfer of Rafales as none will give tech transfer anyways

Weight of Kaveri is likely to be similar to F404 with all the developments made. Excess weight of 200x2=400kg per plane is okay considering it also has 52/78kN.
Age of engine is irrelevant. If the engine is good enough, it is good enough. Otherwise, no one will be able to develop new engines at all saying it is too new to be used! There is a reason engines are tested & certified.
The weight reduction is going on but reducing 200kgs isnt easy as you think.
Also not only the thrust and weight are limiting factors the size of the engine is also a limiting factor kaveri is wider compared to m88 the change itself will take years to design and certify.
Also why would u want a rafale that can't super cruise aatmnirbharata is good and all but compromising in capabilities is foolish in this context.
I was talking about capabilities in age(time)terms as in why would you use a engine with lower mean time between overhaul,life cycle, reliability etc.
Kaveri hasn't been tested for long iirc there was article few years back that kaveri has been only tested for abt 500hrs don't know the current state so yeah it's a stable engine but hasn't undergone extensive testing
But yes any other country would have a twin engine aircraft around kaveri

Samej Jangir

Country flag
How the fk is turkey making a fifth gen fighter then?
Turkey is not even getting started. Most of it is assembled after import. It has no tech, no FBW, no semiconductor. I don't see how it will make anything on its own.
The weight reduction is going on but reducing 200kgs isnt easy as you think.
Also not only the thrust and weight are limiting factors the size of the engine is also a limiting factor kaveri is wider compared to m88 the change itself will take years to design and certify.
Also why would u want a rafale that can't super cruise aatmnirbharata is good and all but compromising in capabilities is foolish in this context.
Is F404 made by magic? Kaveri was heavy because DRDO took a conservative approach by initially using heavier and larger items for testing. But as India studies F404s used in Tejas and is making indigenisation fo RD33 engines of Mig29, DRDO will use better materials and refined FADEC which will lower weight. It was not the final version of Kaveri that was heavy but just a test prototype. There is nothing hard about making Kaveri similar to 1980s F404 engines. Everything including mean time will increase with increasing refinement.

As for size, I have been telling that F404 has been fitted in Rafale by France for its early production series. Do you lack comprehension skills to understand this?

As for supercruising, even Tejas can't do that. IAF does not seek supercruising for non-stealth and non air-superiority planes. Rafales are not stealth or air-superiority planes. Supercruising will cause huge wastage of fuel as during speed of 0.9+ Mach, the air drag rises drastically. The cruise speed is normally 0.8-0.9Mach only, Anything higher will double or even triple the drag forces.

I was talking about capabilities in age(time)terms as in why would you use a engine with lower mean time between overhaul,life cycle, reliability etc.
Kaveri hasn't been tested for long iirc there was article few years back that kaveri has been only tested for abt 500hrs don't know the current state so yeah it's a stable engine but hasn't undergone extensive testing
But yes any other country would have a twin engine aircraft around kaveri
How do you know Kaveri has low lifecycle time? is it based on anything logical or just your imagination? Which article has the test data of Kaveri? Naturally, the test prototypes will have lower lifecycle as they will have lot of defects. But when I am saying of Kaveri being used in Rafales, I mean the completed version, not test prototypes.

As for twin engined plane, Rafale is exactly that. India bought Rafale as it found it to be suitable for Kaveri integration and thought it a smart deal to pay France for design instead of using DRDO resources which is already engaged in 3 designs - TEDBF, Tejas Mk2, AMCA.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles