DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Smoothbore125mm

Country flag
Amazing 25 years after making this the workhorse cruise missile in all the branches; India has not completely indiginized yet?? I do not believe one word of this.
i think the only part left is the engine btw i view this differently even if we make 100% or 25% the profits would be taken by russia too since they own 49.5% of brahmos aerospace so if the missile is being cheaper to import from russia take things gradually like we do ,no need to spend so much into rnd (since most of it is spended by us in brahmos aerospace) right away

Country flag
i think the only part left is the engine btw i view this differently even if we make 100% or 25% the profits would be taken by russia too since they own 49.5% of brahmos aerospace so if the missile is being cheaper to import from russia take things gradually like we do ,no need to spend so much into rnd (since most of it is spended by us in brahmos aerospace) right away
I am not worried about supplying export orders but satisfying indigenous need.
Look at how Russians ramped up their weapons industry destroying anything US
and NATO could supply to Ukraine. Does India have this kind of capacity? I am pretty
sure China can ramp up.

DumbPilot

Country flag
Why is the missile so big and having such long range? Why can't it be 100km range and launched by a ship or 50km one launched by a naval ASW helicopter? That would be more helpful for immediate action
More range == more clearance from Indian shores

I don't see a reason why it can't be ship launched, if the missile and torpedo can be canisterized 🤔

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
if a submarine is 100-50km of your border undetected you would be fked already also submarine speeds are way lesser than ships if detected near shore they are doomed no need for making a expensive missile fire a varunastra (40-50km range) and get it done while lets say your mk9b and p8i detect a submarine 500-600km from your shore either they can fire their torpedo or fire a smart
I think SMART would be most useful in giving strike power to unmanned systems, which can get sonobuoys et cetera but dont usually carry torpedos.

Smoothbore125mm

Country flag
I am not worried about supplying export orders but satisfying indigenous need.
Look at how Russians ramped up their weapons industry destroying anything US
and NATO could supply to Ukraine. Does India have this kind of capacity? I am pretty
sure China can ramp up.
i get it completly but i think we undermine our production capacity too we sold 90000 (40000 in 2017,50000 in 2019) shells to uae while doing our usual consumption too at the lowest i assume the 15 day stock we maintain = 5000x15=45000 shell (At the very least) so i assume every year 180000 shells to be manufactured since we place orders in quaters i guess that just shells replaced we must fire a lot in practice and evaluation too so 250000 per annum would be the very least production capacity right now in peace time which could be overwelmingly increased in war time (all this calculation is very vague and may not be true)

Smoothbore125mm

Country flag
I think SMART would be most useful in giving strike power to unmanned systems, which can get sonobuoys et cetera but dont usually carry torpedos.
especially the mq9b and c295 sry i meant p8i (it also have limited number of torpedo which it can fire )

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
especially the mq9b and c295 sry i meant p8i (it also have limited number of torpedo which it can fire )
P8i can handle subs by itself.
Mq9 + future Indian maritime drones with sonobuoy pods will be real beneficiearies.

right now, if a drone detects a sub, we need to send p8i to kill the sub, instead here we can just fire the missile

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
i get it completly but i think we undermine our production capacity too we sold 90000 (40000 in 2017,50000 in 2019) shells to uae while doing our usual consumption too at the lowest i assume the 15 day stock we maintain = 5000x15=45000 shell (At the very least) so i assume every year 180000 shells to be manufactured since we place orders in quaters i guess that just shells replaced we must fire a lot in practice and evaluation too so 250000 per annum would be the very least production capacity right now in peace time which could be overwelmingly increased in war time (all this calculation is very vague and may not be true)
I have a very vague memory, If Im remembering correctly, of an ex service member's statement that IA fires around 400k shells a year in training (this includes multiple calibers though).

Smoothbore125mm

Country flag
y
P8i can handle subs by itself.
Mq9 + future Indian maritime drones with sonobuoy pods will be real beneficiearies.

right now, if a drone detects a sub, we need to send p8i to kill the sub, instead here we can just fire the missile
i've heard bout tapas being modified to cater navy drone requirement too i mean it can carry 450kg of equipment and doesn't have to fly over mountains for naval recons also its indiginous too

Smoothbore125mm

Country flag
I have a very vague memory, If Im remembering correctly, of an ex service member's statement that IA fires around 400k shells a year in training (this includes multiple calibers though).
oh really the more the merrier 400k translates to 1000 shells a day no wonder our guys are so talented

Country flag
1000/day 'In training'
we also fired 5000-10000 shells a day during kargil
They have been able to produce this number daily for last 2 years. USA/NATO/EU maxes out at about 2000
produced daily. Some claim more but Ukrainians are outgunned 10-1 in artillery possibly more??

Russia producing three times more artillery shells than US and Europe for Ukraine

Smoothbore125mm

Country flag
They have been able to produce this number daily for last 2 years. USA/NATO/EU maxes out at about 2000
produced daily.
i think we can too considering our finantial powers now also a quote from gunner shot website
It is also reported that the Russians are firing over 20000 shells a day of all kinds of Artillery to include Guns, rockets and missiles. They are outgunning the Ukrainians who are able to fire only 5-6000 rounds with weapons of shorter ranges. Artillery is winning the war for Russia at this point of time. Similarly in the period May-Jul in 1999, Artillery won the war for India by pulverising Pakistani defence to smithereens in Kargil. The Indian Artillery fired over 2,50,000 shells, bombs and rockets during the Kargil conflict. Most of these were fired in an approximately 10-15 days period of intense fighting. 9,000 shells were fired on Tiger Hill alone when it was regained. During the peak period of assaults, on an average, each artillery battery fired over one round per minute for 17 days continuously. The Pakistanis were simply and overwhelmingly OUTGUNNED. Such intense firing was seen only after the Second World War. After that war, it is only now in Ukraine that such intense firing is being witnessed. In fact, the Ukraine and Kargil wars bear a similarity of the Gunner stamp on the battle field.
at that time our economy was in shambles literally rn its quite good tbh

Arjun Mk1A

Country flag
it might be ok for pakistan but what about china???

Depends on manufacturing capability of OFB.

Apart from Solar industries, Adani, bharat forge can therotically can manufacture the shell under arde specs.

As per artillery is concerned. The claimed they can manufacture one barrel per day. Don't know how many barrels can ofb produce.

Smoothbore125mm

Country flag
i
it might be ok for pakistan but what about china???
think we can maintain as much barrels as chinese for a single side war with chinese but a war with pak and china would be problamatic for us but i think we can cut the logistics easily there arnt may highways which comes to tibet if thats the case we can win hugeee terrorities (but thats without any nuke strike)

Global Defence

New threads

Articles