DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
Hey guys just a curious question are there any cannon launched loitering uavs there which are launched similar to atgm like samho fired from arjun just a curious idea which struck my mind cause normaly cannon launched atgm are bigger than canister launched loitering munitions ?

View attachment 244801
TBH I dont understand why someone would put a tube launched UAV on an armoured vehicle at all. Kind of defeats the dispersion advantage, and theres no good way to recover the drone either. Pointless.

Smoothbore125mm

Country flag
TBH I dont understand why someone would put a tube launched UAV on an armoured vehicle at all. Kind of defeats the dispersion advantage, and theres no good way to recover the drone either. Pointless.
it cause the requirement of frcv says capability of launching a loitering uav so rather than mounting new mounts and cannisters better to have a lotering munition as a round itself

Satish Sharma

Country flag
it cause the requirement of frcv says capability of launching a loitering uav so rather than mounting new mounts and cannisters better to have a lotering munition as a round itself
It is very worth it. If launched from barrel.
With the help of AI one can see battle field upto kilometres long and beyond mountains.
It will boost situational awareness. If I'm in the tank I do wanna see from sky what's happening around me. I think that's why 4 crew is a option in frcv. It is also damn cheap worth it. Unless and u till there no electronic jamming going on.. I think already existing tube launched munitions seems to have diameter below 120mm..

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
Nah, better to have external mount that can be easily removed and discarded when it eventually doesnt work out.
Gun launched will take too much time and money for something with little utility

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
It is very worth it. If launched from barrel.
With the help of AI one can see battle field upto kilometres long and beyond mountains.
It will boost situational awareness. If I'm in the tank I do wanna see from sky what's happening around me. I think that's why 4 crew is a option in frcv. It is also damn cheap worth it. Unless and u till there no electronic jamming going on.. I think already existing tube launched munitions seems to have diameter below 120mm..
That is a terrible idea, would recommend listening to the cheiftain's talk on this.

The problem is correctly identified - The need to have UAV surveillance ahead of armour. Its the solution of using tank-launched loitering drones that is bad.

Firstly, it introduces a ridiculous amount of complexity if you try to have a recovery mechanism for the drone built in to the tank - If not, then crew has to run out of the tank, and fetch the drone post landing. It also requires an additional operator inside the tank who has no business integral to the functioning of the tank, which means you will sacrifice on atleast one of the three core tenets (Protection, mobility, firepower).

A far better solution is to put VTOL UAVs in a BMP ~10-20 km behind the lines, then use them to identify things and provide specific inputs (like video feed of targets) to the tank commander.

Satish Sharma

Country flag
That is a terrible idea, would recommend listening to the cheiftain's talk on this.

The problem is correctly identified - The need to have UAV surveillance ahead of armour. Its the solution of using tank-launched loitering drones that is bad.

Firstly, it introduces a ridiculous amount of complexity if you try to have a recovery mechanism for the drone built in to the tank - If not, then crew has to run out of the tank, and fetch the drone post landing. It also requires an additional operator inside the tank who has no business integral to the functioning of the tank, which means you will sacrifice on atleast one of the three core tenets (Protection, mobility, firepower).

A far better solution is to put VTOL UAVs in a BMP ~10-20 km behind the lines, then use them to identify things and provide specific inputs (like video feed of targets) to the tank commander.
Well I was whole time refering to expendible drones those used in Ukraine. With some 2 kg warhead.. has some 50mins endurance, 40-50km range. With service ceiling around 5km or even 2-3 km is more than enough for descent isr capabilities..
I think in the tank even if you carry 5-6 tube launched drone its more than enough..
Along with use of AI clear image of battlefield can be made...
I think 4th operator should be a drone operator in the frcv (& ficv too).
Driver, commander ,gunner, drone operator..
army should drop demand of manual loading along with automatic loading..
Switchbladcomparision.jpeg

Switchblade_300_launch.jpg

Switchblade_300_in_flight_(200902-M-EU630-1102)_(cropped).jpg

slayingheaven

Country flag
Well I was whole time refering to expendible drones those used in Ukraine. With some 2 kg warhead.. has some 50mins endurance, 40-50km range. With service ceiling around 5km or even 2-3 km is more than enough for descent isr capabilities..
I think in the tank even if you carry 5-6 tube launched drone its more than enough..
View attachment 244883

View attachment 244880

View attachment 244881
Man, Nvidia(Indirectly big birader USA) holds AI Chips by balls if we ever want to proliferate them in mass scales. Unless we design our own AI Chips and able to print them in upcoming 28nm fab.

karn

Country flag
View attachment 244883

View attachment 244880

View attachment 244881
Won't it be better to just mount 4-6 drones externally on the turret .. making something cannon launched is alway a PITA. Also you are forever limited by the dimensions of cannon and in future the auto loader .
This way you can also have commonality with drones that are mounted on IFVs or trucks for that matter.

Satish Sharma

Country flag
Do
Won't it be better to just mount 4-6 drones externally on the turret .. making something cannon launched is alway a PITA. Also you are forever limited by the dimensions of cannon and in future the auto loader .
This way you can also have commonality with drones that are mounted on IFVs or trucks for that matter.
You even know how much things army want which will be placed on turret ?
Go read rfi, I was amazed why they haven't asked for jet engine so it can fly and do dogfight..
I was saying it being realistically. 120mm is enough for a tube launched loitering munition.

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
View attachment 244883

View attachment 244880

View attachment 244881
Do

Go read rfi, I was amazed why they haven't asked for jet engine so it can fly and do dogfight..
I was saying it being realistically. 120mm is enough for a tube launched loitering munition.
Most important question no one is answering

How do you recover your loitering drone? (the main advantage of loitering drones)

And if you are making a one time use only thing, why not existing ATGMs?

Plus, if you are operating beyond LOS of tank, why even bother with the tank itself? Why not some dedicated attritable BMP, which can keep speed with tank but doesnt need as much money or scrifice much capability?

Blood+

Country flag
View attachment 244883

View attachment 244880

View attachment 244881
Nah, not worth the hassle.

karn

Country flag
Do

I've read the rfi. This is basic for any tank that wants to be something better than an upgraded coldwar tank. Jet engine indeed .
Actually a turbine engine with electric transmission ain't a bad idea .

Also there is plenty of space to hang it off the side of the turret. The IFVs would be better candidates for drone launchers .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles