DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Twinblade

Country flag
It appears that DRDL has called in a tender for supply of raw materials for a 350 mm dia Liquid Fueled Ram Jet missile combustor. That is about the same dia as that of Akash missile.

DRDO

Either Akash-2 is liquid fueled, or we have a new class of raakit-mijjile on our hands.

power_monger

Country flag
how these cooling holes are produced on blade?

kiran
IIT Madras
Are you seriously from IIT? BTw,if you are asking about cooling passages created within single crystal blades of jet engines,it is highly technical in nature and you will be able to get complete power point presentations on it in internet.if it is not,please elaborate your question.

power_monger

Country flag
Bhadra,
what exactly is your point? What is propaganda?
DRDO has started turning developments into reality in last few years which is un-deniable. The developments at seeker front is also quite visible.In next 3-4 years,we will have pretty much all kind of seekers.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
If you think that today's DRDO is the same as a decade ago, there is no bigger fool than you.

India has been getting suprises ( read shocks) for last so many years from The DRDO...

Propaganda

propaganda
and

Propaganda....

Twinblade

Country flag
TBRL has called out for components for a multiple explosive formed penetrator (MEFP) warhead which seems about the right size to fit inside Nirbhay. A similar concept was used by lockheed martin in their loitering air missile demonstration where they used MEFP warhead to take out a large number of lightly armoured mobile targets.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
It appears that DRDL has called in a tender for supply of raw materials for a 350 mm dia Liquid Fueled Ram Jet missile combustor. That is about the same dia as that of Akash missile.

DRDO

Either Akash-2 is liquid fueled, or we have a new class of raakit-mijjile on our hands.

My guess would be that this a component of an engine which is intended for an ARM equivalent to KH-31 missile. The limited details for Indian ARM which are available in public domain are that it would be liquid Ramjet engine propelled missile with range of 100km.

Last edited:

Twinblade

Country flag
My guess would be that this a component of an engine which is intended for an ARM equivalent to KH-31 missile. The limited details for Indian ARM which are available in public domain are that it would be liquid Ramjet engine propelled missile with range of 100km.
There is no info on NGARM being ramjet powered, best to my knowledge. Please post a link if any.

Thanks.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
http://www.inae.in/newsletter/artmar1.pdf

===================================================================================
My Tryst with Indigenous Armour Development
Dr T. Balakrishna Bhat
Born little after India's independence, as a child,
I used to imagine and feel that I owned the
whole great country. My father was a respected school headmaster who used to get respectful
salutations from members of nearly every house situated all along a seven kilometer long
path of walk to his school through hills and fields.

He would reciprocate with appropriate affectionate words without stopping his walk. It was a thrill to walk with him. My mother
would often be cheerfully singing tunes and hymns while taking care of the small farm, all
the workers, children, cows and guests with infinite patience and love.

It was a great joy to doevery type of work to help her and receive her blessings. Early in the morning, every day,
father would gently wake me up by teaching me shlokas, maths, words, spellings and
grammar while sitting by my bedside even as I lay on the bed with closed eyes, and end the
day similarly at night. This process I believe gaveme many things, including a habit of not
wasting a single moment from the time one wakes upto the moment one falls asleep.

At the age of 14, I joined Sri Ramakrishna Mission Balakashram at Mangalore where the
rigorous discipline of perfectly doing all the chores along with studies toughened the mind-
body system. Here I had the chance to tutor (free)classmates and younger students, which
increased my grasp on the subject and also strengthened my self-confidence.

In 1967, I joined the B.Tech programme at IIT Madras. Here, I concentrated totally on
understanding the principles and deeper aspects rather than on securing grades. This quest
made me read a large number of books and to some extent journals available in the Institute
library where I would often sit up until it closed late in the night. After B.tech, I secured
admission with scholarship to do PhD at Washington State University,

but, when I learnt thatUSA had sent its 7th fleet in readiness to attack India during the Bangladesh conflict, I
changed my mind. Instead, I went to IISc Bangalore to study M.E from where DMRL
recruited me.

At DMRL, for the first six months or so, I visited
all the groups and glanced through all the
books and journals and generated hundreds of resear
ch ideas. Initially I worked on TEM and
intermetallic alloy systems. One day, Dr. V.S. Arun
achalam, who had joined as our new
director called me aside and in his characteristic
excited way asked me whether I prefer to
work on pure science and maybe hope to get a Noble
prize one day, or work on an important
development work. Because of the training at IIT, p
roud to be an engineer, I immediately
chose the latter path.

Next day Dr. Arunachalam called me to his office and excitedly explained the scattered notings in his little diary
about the Chobham armour trials shown in a hazy way in England to the visiting Chief of Army Staff and asked me if we can quickly develop and demonstrate a similar one. Though I knew nothing, I sensed that every atom in my body was excited.
First I made a quick dash to TBRL, ARDE and weapons related laboratories studying all available reports and papers to understand the nature of the threats and their operating principles and mechanisms. To find some solution, I went into a contemplative enquiry mode and scanned the rather difficult journals such as "Journal of Applied Physics" at the libraries in IISc and TIFR to look for sound principles based on which one can construct appropriate armour materials on our own ab initio. Various ideas such as Konda's effect, deflection of shockwaves, splitting of the jets, avoiding momentum multiplication, using extremely high viscosities of glass like substances, facilitating lateral dispersal of momentum and energy, breaking up the projectiles or deflecting the proje ctiles etc. were conceived. Appropriate tailor made materials and structures were thought of. It was realized that while in most engineering materials and applications we need to maximize strength, sometimes strength and toughness, in armour we need to maximize the product of strength, ductility and the volume that participates in energy absorption. Increased speed of plastic wave and increased homogeneity of strain that accompanies it is critical. These are unique requirements. Further,it was observed that while homogeneous deformation is key for maximizing energy
absorption, inhomogeneous flow is desirable for momentum absorption such as in the case of HEAT and for turning or breaking the shots. For dissipating or absorbing shocks, layered structures should be preferred. Accordingly, many new materials and structures were conceived and made.

The first results of the trials on the HEAT rounds came within a few months and, may be for
the beginner's luck, were truly fantastic. Soon, larger samples were made and tested at PXE
Balasore. The plates not only defeated the HEAT rounds but also withstood the KE, APDS
rounds. The round was trapped inside. To see what happened to it, the plate was brought to
DMRL. It was cut open the same night to see what actually happened to the shot. I and Dr. Arunachalam walked from Lab Quarters to DMRL at well past midnight to examine the plate from inside. To our shock, the shot was not inside, hiding, but had actually broken up to fine dust!

It was an exciting beginning. A comprehensive and confident programme thus began at
DMRL. Using a variety of starting materials such as ceramics, hard steels, tough composites, and
energetic explosives, the armour programme advanced in many directions to meet a host of
challenging requirements. Success after success came in the form of armour system for MBTArjun and its continuously improving features. For T-72 Ajeya and for T-90 the required armour technology was developed indigenously. Armour for light vehicles, helicopters and many other applications like lancer helicopter, Vijayanta tank, ICV-Abhay and Mi-17
helicopters also emerged out of the programme to meet the requirements. It gives great satisfaction and excitement to me and my research team.

More than 20,000 tonnes of various armour materials have been produced to meet the various requirements. An Armour Technology Centre has been set up in the 700 acres of land specially acquired for the purpose.

There are a few critical factors which I believe have contributed to the above successes in the tryst with indigenous armour development:
1.Full trust, support and freedom provided by the organization.
2.From the user's side, the area of protection is one thing that is close to the heart of every member from soldier to the chief, and evokes spontaneous, deeply supportive and encouraging responses.

My heartfelt acknowledgement is to my family and wo rk related family whose unfathomabledepth of emotions, support and commitment has enabled the attainment of deeply satisfying results in my tryst with destiny in the service of the nation, which reconfirms my childhood feeling that I indeed own the whole country is correct. I also acknowledge that while something has been do ne, there is a lot more to be done and forever so.

Jai Hind
===================================================================================

Pandora

Country flag
http://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/pub/newsletter/2014/november_14.pdf

Key Highlighters was Nirbhay test and Successful test of Imperial eagle in adverse condition :It demonstrated its operational range and endurance by flying at an altitude of more than 300 m and autonomously covering a range of around 7 km from the airfield in low cloudy conditions capturing videos of interesting waypoints. Imperial Eagle made a perfect landing after completing the mission.

2> In another milestone ADE conducted endurance flight of medium altitude long endurance (MALE) unmanned air vehicle (UAV) Rustom 1 on 20 September 2014 at Kolar airfield. Rustom 1 flew successfully for nearly seven hours. Dr K Tamilmani, DS and DG (Aero), DRDO, witnessed the flight and congratulated the Team Rustom

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
May AAC operate hundreds of Armed Rustoms in future, Of course this is a wish ..

power_monger

Country flag
May AAC operate hundreds of Armed Rustoms in future, Of course this is a wish ..
Rustom 1 is armed already.its Rustom 2 which will have its prepatory flight in december which is intresting.It has ATOL(Automatic take off and Landing) facility which will Remove Intensive Human intervention in UAV. Rustom 2 will be true delight for Armed forces considering that dangerous operations can be done with dirth cheap cost.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles