DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Nirvana

I Would not call DRDO A failed Organization after what they have delivered in last 1-2 year's - that was sheer hard work ! one cannot blame DRDO entirely here , Our Policies needed to be Criticized.We need to bring in Private sector to reduce stress on DRDO/HAL and this is need of the time with growing Defence Equipment need in the country and need of more production facilities so that those equipments can be delivered on time.

we are still a developing Defence industry , More investment is needed in Defence Industry to keep up the growth.Coming back to DRDO's Success/Failure story
I Would like to mention some of DRDO's success in last Few year's
Agni-3 - Entered Production
Agni 4 - Successfully tested
Shourya and Sagarika - Entered Production
Prahaar - Success
BMD - Successful test's of PAD and AAD , Missile's for phase II under development.

and the Much awaited test of Agni V This month for which they have worked so hard.Failure's are part of Life, even the American's and Russian's had a Long list of Failure's but they converted them into Success story , today being developed defence Industries.

DRDO has achieved This success partially on their own and Partially with help of Foreign help but this will change as we move forward.

Param

Only Russia, all other of the listed countries don't sell weapons to China following the Tianmen square massacre. And Russia is quite pissed off because China copies their equipment after they bought a small number.
Policies can change with time.

Tianamen square is History.

Don't forget the demands for lifting the EU arms embargo on China.

Nirvana

People, you need to understand the sanctions India had for decades in terms of critical technology. What DRDO has achieved indigineously still, is something to be proud of. I agree with Spark though, that professionalism should be given more attention.
This is the one reason which affected Projects like Arjun,LCA

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
This is the one reason which affected Projects like Arjun,LCA
Even if metal is denied for makeing a tank for 40years you can still come up with a tank. This is a bogus excuse and does not stand for scrutiny.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
i hope drdo uses a bigger platform like modernized il-76 for its next generation of awacs.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
DRDO should be sold off only keeping evaluation boards and let private labs work for government tenders. There should certainly be more university participation.

venkat

Name a few success apart from Missiles.
mosquito repellent, bio digester for the railways which can digest $hit easily, chappathi makers for shivalik, chicken for siachin soldiers...
i think they have developed some performance enhancing drugs ,may be better than khat.... etc... what GK you are so cynical and skeptical!!!God is there kafir!!!!:p

pmaitra

Question: Is DRDO a failed Organisation?
Answer: No.

So what can be done to improve the situation? Those who criticize should also give remedies.

The following are failures by any standards.

1) Kaveri= Failure

2)LCA= Partial Failure(no advancement in avionics like radar or engine and many other stuff we know about)

3)Arjun

4)Trishul

5)UAVs we still buy from the outside

6)Guns we still buy from the outside

7)???

Anyone want to add?

You call that a successful organization?
I want to subtract: LCA, Arjun, Trishul, Guns. Speaking of these, delays? Yeah. Failure? No.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
mosquito repellent, bio digester for the railways which can digest $hit easily, chappathi makers for shivalik, chicken for siachin soldiers...
i think they have developed some performance enhancing drugs ,may be better than khat.... etc... what GK you are so cynical and skeptical!!!God is there kafir!!!!:p
lmao...I accepted most of what you said except God being there..He is only in your head and diffrent people have diffrent gods in their head depending on what crap they teach them.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag

I want to subtract: LCA, Arjun, Trishul, Guns. Speaking of these, delays? Yeah. Failure? No.
Here comes pmaitra..

Trishual was not written off? WTH are you about?

pmaitra

Here comes pmaitra..

Trishual was not written off? WTH are you about?
I just gave my opinion.

Trishul was not a failure. It is continuing as a TD and has contributed further development of other missiles.

The rest, you know very well.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

How long does something have to be "delayed" until it is considered a failure? At least Russia has the guts to cancel projects. DRDO, No.

Galaxy

Country flag
DRDO is not a failed organization. First, we have to see the budget allocation and government initiative in past. Budget is merely 10% vis-a-vis Chinese allocation.

A DRDO scientist gets what a 2nd grade doctor earns in pvt. hospital. Many talented scientist are not keen to join DRDO because of lackluster future. Our economy was also week till early 90's. After improvement of economy, drdo performance improved. Yes, still delay. no doubt. Still, It would be wrong to blame them. It's more to do with pathetic sarkari system.

There is also one more reason - Lack of competition. It's well known that competition improve quality and efficiency. DRDO didn't had any pressure or strict time-line to complete any project nor any competition. If done, Fine otherwise we import. What we need is, Increase in budget for defense research & introduction of pvt. companies which can bring competition. Example: SAIL, NTPC, BHEL, SBI, etc. have improved their performance due to stiff competition from pvt. player.

Still, DRDO was successful in missile segment. Although delay of few years happened & still few missiles left to be fully operational.

Arjun, Tejas - Too much of delay. Still both will be operational.

UAV - Again delay. But but not failure. Even China were not successful.

Also, One more point is psychological pressure. After 90's, we didn't faced any sanction nor it's expected to happen in near future due to our growing economy and international relation in changing geo-politics. Now, We can buy anything from any country. Not every country has this very privilege. China can't buy. They have to produce/manufacture on own, no matter how. But since we didn't had such necessity. Hence, we are buying too.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
I just gave my opinion.

Trishul was not a failure. It is continuing as a TD and has contributed further development of other missiles.

The rest, you know very well.
It was and still remains a complete failure, it was officially written off as TD but everyone knows it gone.

So are all the other projects. Arjun is a huge failure after 40years. Come to India and talk to people in the field, if you cant then take my word for it.

Galaxy

Country flag
Trishul is not failure. It was tech demonstrator. Now, we will be operating Akash SAM which is advance version of Trisul. Why we need Trishul when we will be operating Akash ?

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Trishul is not failure. It was tech demonstrator. Now, we will be operating Akash SAM which is advance version of Trisul. Why we need Trishul when we will be operating Akash ?
Trishul wasn't a tech demonstrator, and Akash wasn't the advanced version of Trishul..

They actually had the guts to cancel Trishul for good.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Nonsense, it was not a tech demonstrator. It was the failed programme replaced with Barak.

Galaxy

Country flag
Nonsense, it was not a tech demonstrator. It was the failed programme replaced with Barak.
When you don't know, Kindly do some research.

"Development of Trishul missile system has been completed as technology demonstrator," Defence Minister A K Antony said in a written reply in Rajya Sabha.
February 27, 2008 India shuts down Trishul missile project

Barak & Trishul both are different kind of SAM. How come Barak can replace Trishul ? Do you know the difference ? We didn't not had anything comparable to Barak. We initiated JV with Israel 6 years back for Barak when trishul project was not called-off. Akash is going to be operational within 2-3 years which is advance version of Trishul. Why to have Trishul when Akash which is comparable to patriot system will be operational soon ? Indeed, 2 squadron already operational AFAIK.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles