DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

S.Balaji

Country flag
@Kunal Biswas sir is right, Pinaka Mk-2 has already been tested at 80-85 km range earlier this year.

When I said Smerch-class, I meant a MRLS with a 300X7000 mm rocket with a 250 kg payload i.e. the Pinaka 2 (Not Pinaka Mk-II). Pinaka-2 is slated to have a range of ~120 km. Current Pinaka has 215X5000 mm rockets with a payload of 100 kg and a range of 40 km (Mk-I) and 90 km (Mk-II).

I was at the DRDO expo at CVRDE Chennai yestyrday, the poster informed Pinaka Mk 1 range as upto 37 Kms and MK2 as upto 60 Kms..will compress and attach the photos of the poster on display at the stall.The poster announced development trails are completed.

S.Balaji

Country flag
Other products displayed at DRDO expo at chennai were Indigenous RCWS n Panoramic Commander sight with day n night thermal fighting capability(2kms) with laser range finder..they have completed trials...both are slated to be integrated on Arjun MK2.

The guy manning RCWS counter said that apart from trials our product was tested objectively on various parameter with the imported one and our product has come out in flying colours.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
@Kunal Biswas sir is right, Pinaka Mk-2 has already been tested at 80-85 km range earlier this year.

When I said Smerch-class, I meant a MRLS with a 300X7000 mm rocket with a 250 kg payload i.e. the Pinaka 2 (Not Pinaka Mk-II). Pinaka-2 is slated to have a range of ~120 km. Current Pinaka has 215X5000 mm rockets with a payload of 100 kg and a range of 40 km (Mk-I) and 90 km (Mk-II).
Smerch projectile weight is 800+ kg with warhead weight is 240+ kg and 90+km range.
Meanwhile Pinaka-1 weight is 240+ kg with warhead weight upto 100kg and 40km range.
Pinaka-2 projectile weight is still unknown and warhead weight upto 250kg and range 70-80km.

Last edited:

Aghore_King

Country flag

DRDO should develop Pinaka 2 by 2020, 2027 is way too long....

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Smerch projectile weight is 800+ kg with warhead weight is 240+ kg and 90+km range.
Meanwhile Pinaka-1 weight is 240+ kg with warhead weight upto 100kg and 40km range.
Pinaka-2 projectile weight is still unknown and warhead weight upto 250kg and range 70-80km.
Not exactly.
Pinaka has two rocket variants:
Mk-1 (range ~55 km) [Unguided round ~276 kg ~4.95 m]
Mk-2 (range ~75 km) [Guided round ~312 kg ~5.2 m]
Both carry a payload of ~100 kg. Both are 214 mm calibre.

I just read in a news report this June that Mk-1 range has been enhanced in newer rockets to 55km.

Pinaka 2 is a different system that is under development. It has a 300X7000 mm rocket carrying 250 kg payload. The size of the rocket and the payload it carries puts in Smerch-class. Its range of 120 km, however is superior to Smerch.

Got no idea about the progress on Pinaka 2 yet. I think its still on the drawing board.

@Adioz pinaka mkii was tested for the range of 65 km and 75kms.... are you sure it is capable to hit at targets at 95kms?
Sorry, that was a typo. Thanks for correcting me. I meant to say that Mk-2 has a range of 80 km (tested in February). Now that I checked, it was indeed tested at 75 km like you said, and not 80 km.

I was at the DRDO expo at CVRDE Chennai yestyrday, the poster informed Pinaka Mk 1 range as upto 37 Kms and MK2 as upto 60 Kms..will compress and attach the photos of the poster on display at the stall.The poster announced development trails are completed.
Maybe they had an old poster. Mk-1 range has been enhanced to 55 km by redesigned propellant. They have tested the Mk-2 upto 75 km in February. Thanks for the photos in advance.

DRDO should develop Pinaka 2 by 2020, 2027 is way too long....
Even I hope so. But its better if they make it modular so that it can be carried on the same vehicle, with a longer pod.
BTW 2027 is no official date. I just meant to say that by 2027 we will, at the very least, have the Pinaka 2 in trials, if not inducted already......

Coming back to the original question regarding the new facility, does the new facility makes the unguided rounds only or does it make the newer guided ones? Or both? Or is it that the Mk-1 rockets can be installed with a guidance kit to turn it into a Mk-2 rocket (That would be cool)? Also, what is the shelf life of these rockets?

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
Disappointed with Pinaka MK-1 only 37,5km,even 122mm has a max range of 40km with new projectiles.

airtel

Country flag
Poster (from DRDO expo last week in Chennai)regarding GaN tech work at ASemiT Lab of DRDO...it says the designed circuits is undergoing verification....
[/ATTACH]
I think verification is completed this is why Funds for GaN Foundry was allotted .

http://www.financialexpress.com/ind...or-production-of-wonder-nano-material/754727/

Seems like we're going to have GaN aesa way before west....
Russia & USA Already have GaN based AESA radars ....

Adioz

Disappointed with Pinaka MK-1 only 37,5km,even 122mm has a max range of 40km with new projectiles.
:facepalm:Replying to this question for the second time on the SAME page:-
Pinaka has two rocket variants:
Mk-1 (range ~55 km) [Unguided round ~276 kg ~4.95 m]
Mk-2 (range ~75 km) [Guided round ~312 kg ~5.2 m]
Both carry a payload of ~100 kg. Both are 214 mm calibre.

I just read in a news report this June that Mk-1 range has been enhanced in newer rockets to 55km.

Pinaka 2 is a different system that is under development. It has a 300X7000 mm rocket carrying 250 kg payload. The size of the rocket and the payload it carries puts in Smerch-class. Its range of 120 km, however is superior to Smerch.

Got no idea about the progress on Pinaka 2 yet. I think its still on the drawing board.
Pinaka Mk-1 rocket carries a heavier payload and to a greater range than the Grad does.

Adioz

Seems people are confused here. Let me clear the air.
Pinaka Mk. I = 40km range (in production)
Pinaka Mk. II = 65km range (in production)
Pinaka Mk. II GMBRL = 75km range (in trials) - will be named Pinaka Mk. III
Pinaka 2 - Proposed desi 300mm MBRL

The rocket propellant has been redesigned and can be fixed on to the same barrel, so one does not have to change barrels and can fire simultaneously. Mark-I can fire at 35 km, now this has been extended to 55 km.
...............................................................................................................................................................

NeXoft007

Country flag
...............................................................................................................................................................
Neh, the 55km being mentioned here is of Mk. II, the whole para says about difference between Mk. I and Mk. II, by extended he was talking of Mk. II. And anyways, Mk. I demonstrated 40km range and Mk. II demonstrated 65km range coverage.

airtel

Country flag
Last edited:

Aghore_King

Country flag

airtel

Country flag
But UK , Germany and France Don't have GaN....
France Have >> https://www.thalesgroup.com/en/worl...oduces-ns200-multi-mission-radar-naval-forces

other Europeans countries use AESA radars of Leonardo-Finmeccanica >> http://www.leonardocompany.com/en/i...cnologici-technologies/elettronica-electronic

or BAE systems >> http://www.baesystems.com/en-us/our...d-development/focus-areas/rf-microelectronics

i am not sure if they have foundries in their countries or USA is making chips for them .

Global Defence

New threads

Articles