DRDO Multical Rifle Unveiled

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Re: Successful user trial of MSMC

Indian Armed forces primarily use Zeiss Z-Point Reflex sight, Mars & other Israeli sights comes with Rifle package that is with TAR-21s import ..

Zeiss Z is chosen coz it has solar charger above it, Less or no maintenance and lesser expensive than similar counterparts ..

Too big, too high, and look like it weight a ton. What's the battery life? Probably not long. It does not gives absolute or 1/3 co witness. It so high that the laser is 1/4 inch higher from the front iron sight. What's the deal with the laser? IA is going get rip off if they decide to buy it.

Bite the bullet and invest in Aimpoint optics IMO. Best red dot optic created and almost indestructible. Standard continuous battery life is 7 years on normal setting. Micro Aimpoint 5 years continuous running on normal setting.
=============

1. This is a prototype so there will be more to see in near future ..

2. However it is also possible that the bolt is kept open via mechanism and hence you cannot see the dust cover, Similar is with 1B1 too ..

3. Prototype, Under continual modifications ..

From the picture at least 3 flaws in the design.

1. Magwell cut. The rectangle cut on the side of the magwell to see how many bullets are left. It all honesty it is a very very stupid design. Whoever decided it was a good idea to expose the magwell like that never been in the military before. Dirt and sand will enter through there and cause malfunction to the firearm.

2. There is no dust cover on the ejection port. That means dirt and sand can get inside the firearm.

3. Not enough space on the hand guard to mount accessories. .
================

The design came out only from our fighting experience in our system, Our present AR has also translucent magazine ..

There is no reason for the cut in the magwell. If you're in a firefight you won't have time to check how many rounds is in the magazine. The stress of combats make it unimportant. Drop the magazine and insert a new one. It faster than taking your eyes of the enemies to check how many rounds are left. God forbid while counting the enemy rush and gut you alive with his knife.

ninja85

From the picture at least 3 flaws in the design.

1. Magwell cut. The rectangle cut on the side of the magwell to see how many bullets are left. It all honesty it is a very very stupid design. Whoever decided it was a good idea to expose the magwell like that never been in the military before. Dirt and sand will enter through there and cause malfunction to the firearm.

2. There is no dust cover on the ejection port. That means dirt and sand can get inside the firearm.

3. Not enough space on the hand guard to mount accessories.

I would love to see the field striping process as well as the internals.
maybe it's just a prototype ,not a final design.:noidea::notsure::laugh:

ninja85

There is no reason for the cut in the magwell. If you're in a firefight you won't have time to check how many rounds is in the magazine. The stress of combats make it unimportant. Drop the magazine and insert a new one. It faster than taking your eyes of the enemies to check how many rounds are left. God forbid while counting the enemy rush and gut you alive with his knife.
who counts bullets while fighting???:pound::pound::pound:and definitely not while close combat situation when distance is so close with enemy that he can think about using knife,
who bring knife to firefight???:rofl::laugh::lol:

ghost

Too big, too high, and look like it weight a ton. What's the battery life? Probably not long. It does not gives absolute or 1/3 co witness. It so high that the laser is 1/4 inch higher from the front iron sight. What's the deal with the laser? IA is going get rip off if they decide to buy it.

Bite the bullet and invest in Aimpoint optics IMO. Best red dot optic created and almost indestructible. Standard continuous battery life is 7 years on normal setting. Micro Aimpoint 5 years continuous running on normal setting.

Red dot sights - Aimpoint the original red dot sight

Understanding Co-Witness - YouTube
Sir,

Mars is a good sight ,but I have heard it has some problems in daylight. Zeiss is also good cheap sight,and as you rightly said Aimpoint is a very good sight.

We also have Indian made sights,

This is a holographic sight,though I do not know complete details but seem good for regular soldier .

This is a telescopic sight ,It provide magnification of only 2.5x(not justified by its size) plus since it's telescopic I don't like it.It's additional details are
Magnification 2.5 X
Field of View 15 °
Type of Objective Refractive type
Type of Eyepiece Fixed focus type, monocular
Effective focal
length
Objective & Erector
Eye Piece

67.5 mm
26.9 mm
Axial transmission 55 % minimum
Range 400 metres
Parallax Within 30 Seconds
Eye Clearance 38 to 45 mm
Resolution 37 Seconds
Graticule Pattern One vertical and two horizontal bore sighting lines and an aiming circle for man size target at 200 meters range. Upper & lower dots for 100 & 400 mtrs.
Dimension
Length 255 mm
Width 65 mm dia.
Height 88 mm maximum
Weight without mount 530 gms

Now if you ask me, I would prefer EOTECH holographic sights,Because they are rugged ,reliable,light weight ,are used all over the world,provide wide angle view.I prefer rectangle glass than round.

Even our para Sf have got these.

I think a STS magnifier is a must to complete rifle sighting system in our forces,unfortunately it is not prevalent in our forces.I am yet to see any one with it.It add quite a lot of range to red dot sight,and can be quickly deployed for longer distance engagements.It will be very useful in CT ops,I would like to see this combination standard in our infantry.So I would prefer a combination of IRDE holographic sight ,along with sts magnifier preferably from EOTECH like G33 3x.

P:S @Kunal Biswas sir,Do you know Galil 5.56 assault rifle is in active service in our army.Tenders India, The Indian Government Tenders Information System

Last edited by a moderator:

hitesh

Sir,

P:S @Kunal Biswas sir,Do you know Galil 5.56 assault rifle is in active service in our army.Tenders India, The Indian Government Tenders Information System
Globally, the Galil and her many variants are used by no less than 35 nations. Some of the nations use the Galil as their standard assault rifle, like Columbia and South Africa. While others, like Mexico, Italy, and India, use the Galil in specific units.
Future War Stories: FWS Forgotten Weapons: The Israeli Galil Assault Rifle These are old Galil not the new ACE

Ky Loung

@ghost,

Eotech has it own set of problems but most of it has been fix. It still doesn't have the battery life of Aimpoint.

What I was pointing out was the optic itself is mounted too high. It is not optimal to mount optic so high that your head is not rested on the stock. Americans mount their optics as low as possible. That's because your head will rest on the stock making controlling the rifle easier, fast, and comfortable. Also there is less adjustment needed to compensate the difference between the barrel axis and optic.

I'll show you the video again. Notice how he rested his head on the stock. Notice his eyes inline with the optic without the need to adjusting his head. All he did is place his head on the stock and everything snap together. If your head is not rested on the stock you have to keep adjusting your head so your eyes will be inline with the optic. Also notice how low the optic is mounted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=909ZzJYRFJ8

Zeiss makes great optic but I can tell you without a doubt 17-20 years old kids will break the solar panel within a week of combat patrol. You need to make military gears kid proof.

Ky Loung

who counts bullets while fighting???:pound::pound::pound:and definitely not while close combat situation when distance is so close with enemy that he can think about using knife,
who bring knife to firefight???:rofl::laugh::lol:
That was my point you don't need the cut because no one will use it in a fire fight.

Who bring a knife to a firefight? Military? Almost everybody. Combat knife is standard issue in US military.

I don't know about Indian military but I pretty sure every military train their warriors in hand to hand combat. Trained how to kill with a knife in close combat. Trained how to kill with the rifle butt. Train how to kill with their hands. I'm sure there are lot of accounts over the years where death occur with a knife/hand/stock butt instead of bullet.

The magazine cut is a big warning sign to the IA brass. It show the lack of understanding how to properly make a combat rifle. The development team IMO never been in the military and never did long patrol knee deep in shit. If you give the rifle for testing to Big Army (USA). They will immediately hand it back to you and said it failed the test without even shooting a single bullet.

I use Lancer transparent magazine on my AR15. When I can't see the round in the magazine that means at max 10 rounds left. 99.99% I don't even check. If I need a fresh magazine I'll replace it. If I hear a click , I go back in cover, check the chamber to make sure it empty and not a jam. Insert a new magazine.

If counting round accurately in a magazine is important to IA than let me suggest buying Israeli countdown magazine. I own six, they are reliably and does what it suppose to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_5SJ2hCyFU

Last edited:

ghost

Sir,

I am very much aware of the fact that it is not ace,that's why I mentioned galil assault rifle 5.56.What I am surprised about is their deployment in active ops(in India you do not purchase night sights for ar if they are merely in armory or out of use,particularly in J&K).And it's surprising how there is not a single photo of it in use with army,till date.

hitesh

Sir,

I am very much aware of the fact that it is not ace,that's why I mentioned galil assault rifle 5.56.What I am surprised about is their deployment in active ops(in India you do not purchase night sights for ar if they are merely in armory or out of use,particularly in J&K).And it's surprising how there is not a single photo of it in use with army,till date.

INSAS & Galil had much similarity ,both are AK influenced 5.56 guns though Galil had much more variants. IA might had imported some small consignment before INSAS came into picture to give there infantry of how INSAS would feel once it comes into full production , Galil though have full auto capability unlike INSAS so it can be used as CQB with AKs so it

ninja85

That was my point you don't need the cut because no one will use it in a fire fight.

Who bring a knife to a firefight? Military? Almost everybody. Combat knife is standard issue in US military.

I don't know about Indian military but I pretty sure every military train their warriors in hand to hand combat. Trained how to kill with a knife in close combat. Trained how to kill with the rifle butt. Train how to kill with their hands. I'm sure there are lot of accounts over the years where death occur with a knife/hand/stock butt instead of bullet.

The magazine cut is a big warning sign to the IA brass. It show the lack of understanding how to properly make a combat rifle. The development team IMO never been in the military and never did long patrol knee deep in shit. If you give the rifle for testing to Big Army (USA). They will immediately hand it back to you and said it failed the test without even shooting a single bullet.

I use Lancer transparent magazine on my AR15. When I can't see the round in the magazine that means at max 10 rounds left. 99.99% I don't even check. If I need a fresh magazine I'll replace it. If I hear a click , I go back in cover, check the chamber to make sure it empty and not a jam. Insert a new magazine.

If counting round accurately in a magazine is important to IA than let me suggest buying Israeli countdown magazine. I own six, they are reliably and does what it suppose to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_5SJ2hCyFU
k.........

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
All Foreign Assault Rifle under trial failed under Indian conditions.

The Indian Army began the final round of confirmatory trials in support of its requirement for 44,618 close quarter battle (CQB) 5.56 mm carbines and 33.6 million rounds of ammunition on 9 June, defence industry officials told IHS Jane's .

The Beretta ARX-160, Colt M4, and Israel Weapon Industries (IWI) Galil Ace carbines will undergo a series of tests at army establishments and weapon-testing facilities until the end of July. These include weapon sights, furniture, and ammunition trials.

The competing guns will also undergo a "mud test" to gauge their ability to operate in poor conditions, an evaluation all three failed during trials in 2012 in the Rajasthan desert and high-altitude regions.
Source : Indian Army kicks off final carbine trials - IHS Jane's 360

=========
=========

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I cannot say anything for sure here, I think its related to F-INSAS program ..

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
The rifle was meant for arming CRPF COBRAS .Guess is that it too had caught in the red tape.And COBRAs were seen sporting Mausers and SVDss ,most probably given to them from army stores.So plan may had been shelved in favor of second hand weaponry from army.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

Early ARDE MCIWS

Most Recent Design

Internal Mechanism Of ARDE'S MCIWS

ARDE-DRDO MCIWS Internal Mechanism

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles