Chinese Culture and Society Megathread

SKC

Country flag

For me while there are many Chinese movies I admire , this remains my all time favourite. Stephen Chow the Producer Director Writer & Star of the movie must have had a total ball making this hilariously zany movie & it shows.

The dialogues are a hoot even when dubbed in English which tells you how good they must have been in the original Cantonese. I'm told the Chinese think there's no better language to insult people in than Cantonese . This movie is certainly proof of that .

A word of appreciation about the dubbing artists too & those who wrote the dialogues in English. Apparently instead of merely translating the original Cantonese dialogues in English they did their own thing mostly while retaining the spirit of the original Cantonese dialogues & stayed true to the story of the movie

I doubt Chows's subsequent movies have ever come close to the chutzpah of Kung Fu hustle or replicated it in terms of it's pizzaz or panache.
Stephan Chow is the legend. He and the HongKong Cinema from 1970s till 2000s was lit!
So much good quality cinema came out of that Film Industry.
These days HongKong cinema is done and dusted.

indiatester

Country flag

For me while there are many Chinese movies I admire , this remains my all time favourite. Stephen Chow the Producer Director Writer & Star of the movie must have had a total ball making this hilariously zany movie & it shows.

The dialogues are a hoot even when dubbed in English which tells you how good they must have been in the original Cantonese. I'm told the Chinese think there's no better language to insult people in than Cantonese . This movie is certainly proof of that .

A word of appreciation about the dubbing artists too & those who wrote the dialogues in English. Apparently instead of merely translating the original Cantonese dialogues in English they did their own thing mostly while retaining the spirit of the original Cantonese dialogues & stayed true to the story of the movie

I doubt Chows's subsequent movies have ever come close to the chutzpah of Kung Fu hustle or replicated it in terms of it's pizzaz or panache.
Man... some of the jokes in his movies are so crude dirty and yet you will still find yourself laughing. That guy is a legend.

rockdog

Country flag
That's the real sexy Chinese lady:

strong, long legs, beautiful @SexyChineseLady

they are 100m hurdles national champions

IMG_20230710_112054.jpg

IMG_20230710_112935.jpg

IMG_20230710_112927.jpg

IMG_20230710_112917.jpg

Left is Xia Sining 夏思凝, right is Wu Yanni 吴艳妮

Last edited:

SexyChineseLady

Liu Xiajun made a splash with the Korean media at the Asian U20 Championships -- both for her looks and talent (individual silver in the 100M, gold in 4x100M relay)

IMG_5864.jpeg

SexyChineseLady

damn she is so sweet
Only 18 years old. Quickly became a fan favorite (though the Korean SM said there were two other girls on the Chinese 100M relay team who looked like KPOP idols!) What a Great ambassador!

She's taking pictures with fans in the stands :D

Last edited:

SexyChineseLady

Another Liu :)

Xuan Liu is one of the hottest players in poker. She won a $100K pot three weeks ago! She hails from Tianjin (site of Airbus assembly line.)

Azaad

Country flag
Another Liu :)

Xuan Liu is one of the hottest players in poker. She won a $100K pot three weeks ago! She hails from Tianjin (site of Airbus assembly line.)
Oh well , now I've seen it all !!

Two middle aged Chinese males sharing & drooling over pictures of barely major still adolescent girls which makes it borderline paedophilia on an Indian Defence site of all places.

SexyChineseLady

Oh well , now I've seen it all !!

Two middle aged Chinese males sharing & drooling over pictures of barely major still adolescent girls which makes it borderline paedophilia on an Indian Defence site of all places.
1) Xuan Liu is nearly 40-year
2) The Indians here have called me far worse than a middle aged make :D

skywatcher

Country flag
Detailed Chinese history over the last 800 years

1. The Great Yuan(1271-1368)
Mongol-led dynasty

2. The Great Ming(1354-1659)
Han-led dynasty

3. The Great Qing(1583-1911)
Manchu-led dynasty

skywatcher

Country flag
All the territories ever ruled by China over the past four millennia
all-the-territories-ever-ruled-by-china-v0-ecupycgt0aka1.jpg

All Chinese languages today
languages-in-china-v0-5gsqvvbxxicb1.jpg

skywatcher

Country flag
A group of CCP followers chanting a Mongolian communist-style folk song. The elderly are usually the most staunch followers of CCP and Mao.
i_f25.png

skywatcher

Country flag
All the territories ever ruled by China over the past four millennia
View attachment 216293

All Chinese languages today
View attachment 216294
all-the-territories-ever-ruled-by-china-v0-ecupycgt0aka1.jpg

From this map, you can easily distinguish the four layers of affinity .

First Layer: Regions between the Yellow river and the Yangtze River, aka the core of China and origin of the Chinese and Chinese culture. The political center gradually shifted to Beijing in the second millennia from Xi'an in the first millennia.

Second layer: Regions south of the Yangtze river, the Chinese economic center gradually shifted to southeastern China from northern China during the second millennia while the political center remains in the north. The southern Chinese are genetically different from northern Chinese at the beginning and they keep their various unique languages which are mostly indistinguishable to Mandarin to even today.

Third layer: Manchuria in the northeast and Xinjiang in the northwest.
Xinjiang region long serves as a contending arena of various Chinese dynasties and nomads such as Xiongnu and Turks from the Mongolian steppe and is also key pass to the Silk Road during the first millennia. Xinjiang region was considered more strategically vital than other frontier regions. The Islamization of Xinjiang fundamentally changed the culture of Xinjiang and obviously alienates it from the Chinese culture. Manchuria is usually the land of exile for the vanquished until the rise of the sinicized Jurchen and later Manchu people. These regions are ultimately pulled into Chinese orbit during the second millennia.

Fourth layer: Tibet and Mongolia. Both regions were closely linked to each other. These regions are believed to be inhabitable and their cultures are exotic to traditional Chinese culture. During the past 500 years, Beijing used various methods to pacify these regions and effectively reduced their population to negligible.

Last edited:

skywatcher

Country flag
Rise and Fall of the Uyghur Empire (745-840)

Like the Tibetans, the Ugyhurs established a powerful nomadic Khaganate on the Mongolian steppe in the 8th century, competing with the neighboring Chinese.

Last edited:

vin bharat mahan

Kumaoni, Uttarakhand
Country flag
Got two nice questions for you.
Q1: Do you believe Hinduism is helpful in scientific research and technological advancement?
Q2: Do you believe Hinduism can make India a less religiously suffocated and more secular society than it is now?
Period.
sry for answering ur question, although u asked it to other person. my 1 cent opinion:-
1:- yes, hinduism is helpful in scientific nd technological advancements. coz hinduism dont limit us nd promote in seeking our own experiences. just like science, u can add new theories nd opposite opinions in hinduism. thats why hinduism hv many elements:- like polytheism, nature worshipping, animism, atheism etc. with hinduism indian give many scientific things:- yoga, meditation, phubenach numbers, surgeries, nevigation, astrology etc. unlike abrahmic religion, hindus didnt cut our scientists head for inventions nd different religious path. thats why 4 major world religion (hinduism, buddhism, sikhism nd Jainism) born in india. nd we didnt see big fights between them.
2:- if u read history...india was biggest economy from 1 BC (even before) till 1700 AD+...only near 1400-1500 AD chinese makes indian second place. although we were facing different invaders continuous attacks from 800 AD. we welcomed all kind of religions from parsi, jews, muslims, christians, tibbetan nd even chinese also. so secularism in blood in hindus. only we hate two abrahmaic cults, coz not only they destroy our temples nd culture, looted nd killed millions (estimated 700 million from 800 AD) our ancestors.

Last edited:

skywatcher

Country flag
Rise and Fall of the Uyghur Empire (745-840)

Like the Tibetans, the Ugyhurs established a powerful nomadic Khaganate on the Mongolian steppe in the 8th century, competing with the neighboring Chinese.
Who would've thought!
i_f25.png

New threads

Articles