Can the Brahmos evade Phalanx?

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I am just saying that PN is indeed interested in acquiring Block 1B & upgrade existing Block 0, any ways here in Range of AsHM you can even see Bhramos...

Phalanx Block-1B

I thought You were saying that Pakistan was interested in acquiring the LaWS version. And I also thought Pakistan was lobbying for the ESSM along with Phalanx in the OHP.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
if the radar isn't that good then how is it going to be effective ?
I wouldn't say its totally ineffective but at such a low range even the fragments of Brahmos without the actual warhead will leave the ship useless. Phalanx is last defense for the critical ship to protect the onboard officers & other critical data/systems. In saturation attack of Brahmos, ship wouldn't be floating with all its parts. Plus the follow-on shoot of Brahmos after the first projection will target the entire CIWS platform first so it'll leave the rest of the ship vulnerable while the Phalanx is engaging projectiles targeted on it.

PS: However it can buy more time for the ship while making the SOS calls & waiting for the same.

Last edited:

DaRk WaVe

I thought You were saying that Pakistan was interested in acquiring the LaWS version. And I also thought Pakistan was lobbying for the ESSM along with Phalanx in the OHP.
Block 1B has no LaWS but is certainly a potent system :D

& there are unconfirmed reports that PN wants ESSM for OHPs & NO specifications of these OHPs are out yet ,these ships have had their bow-mounted Mk.13 launch systems for SM-1 Standard air defense and Harpoon AsHM removed to reduce maintenance costs .Those changes leave just torpedoes and a 76mm naval gun for offense, and the 20mm Phalanx CIWS , there's a reason why PN paid 75 Million for refurbishments of these OHPs :happy_2:

Last edited:

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Block 1B has no LaWS but is certainly a potent system :D

& there are unconfirmed reports that PN wants ESSM for OHPs, these OHPs are refurbished & NO specifications of these OHPs are out yet
American ships have had their bow-mounted Mk.13 launch systems for SM-1 Standard air defense and RGM-84 Harpoon anti-ship missiles removed. Those changes leave just torpedoes and a 76mm naval gun for offense, and the 20mm Phalanx CIWS , there's a reason why PN paid 75 Million for refurbishments of these OHPs
That is what confused me. With Supersonic missiles in our kitty...just Phalanx is not enough. And the MK 13 launchers were removed. So I think something else is cooking.

DaRk WaVe

That is what confused me. With Supersonic missiles in our kitty...just Phalanx is not enough. And the MK 13 launchers were removed. So I think something else is cooking.
Exactly, SM-2 may be :happy_2:

This is exactly what happend with Type 21 Frigates, we bought it with literally nothing & Phalanx & Harpoons were added later on...

Last edited:
Country flag
Lasers concentrate energy in the form of light on a single point . The range is also limited the further out you go the weaker the beam or energy concentration becomes.The system is useless against any salvos.How much energy can you focus on a Mach 3 missile in the few seconds you may have?? You have 1-5 miles to be successful.

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
tough with its terminal phase violent S maneuvers !!

Country flag
The Phalanx is a good system but there are rumors of it overheating?? it also requires a lot of energy and it might not be effective against radar jamming missiles???

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
can the brahmos evade the phalanx laser weapon system?
No, but it can overwhelm it rather easily. You don't fire just one and with the atmospheric interference of a laser on water, it will not have time to react to a 2nd or 3rd missile.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Its still just a CIWS. Apart from Brahmos, any such missile can penetrate this system.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
i think brahmos has a canistered protection which is effective against the laser beams of phalanx

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Lasers concentrate energy in the form of light on a single point . The range is also limited the further out you go the weaker the beam or energy concentration becomes.The system is useless against any salvos.How much energy can you focus on a Mach 3 missile in the few seconds you may have?? You have 1-5 miles to be successful.
This is exactly what i wanted to say. How much energy will any close range laser weapon system will be able to transfer in few seconds on a missile's warhead section so that it cooks-off(explodes), when this missile is flying at few meters above sea, undertaking 'S' maneuver and approaching at 2.8 mach? No pride but Bhramos kind of missile can only be knocked out in cruise phase, once in terminal phase it's better to run away on life boat than thinking about interception.

Agantrope

This is exactly what i wanted to say. How much energy will any close range laser weapon system will be able to transfer in few seconds on a missile's warhead section so that it cooks-off(explodes), when this missile is flying at few meters above sea, undertaking 'S' maneuver and approaching at 2.8 mach? No pride but Bhramos kind of missile can only be knocked out in cruise phase, once in terminal phase it's better to run away on life boat than thinking about interception.
Exactly. Phalanx will act say in range of 10-15Kms and Brahmos travelling in .9Km/s, what will be the reaction time of phalanx? what will happen when a salvo of 2 Brahmos is fired; Will 10seconds be enough to take a raging bull with a KE of more than 15MJs with a weight of 1.5T?

Simply answer is no. I never mean that Brahmos is invincible, but for now there is no answer to any ship as of now.

sandeepdg

I don't think any CIWS system in the world is capable of surviving a salvo of two or three supersonic missiles, let alone the Phalanx even with the LAWS. As NRJ put it "its just another CIWS system".

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles