C-17 Globemaster III (IAF)

SilentKiller

Country flag
I support opening of rail links with China and Myanmar and also trains passing through Bangladesh to connect all areas of north-east with other regions to boost trade.

However security situation (insurgency, crime) is the hindrance. I hope Indian government finds ways to solve these problems.

As for oil and other natural resources, yes NE is important just like other states in the country. Each state has something unique.
Good u came correct somewhat, your post was something which will surely make people angry.
Be careful what u post it hurts, All states r integral part of India no difference. We will spend billions to keep our integrity. Yes, We have road or other connectivity issues, but india is even going to option of link via Bhutan.
Bangladesh is not safe bet as of now.

One more thing, state are important not for resources but for the people living their, they are Indians.

brational

Country flag
One must be civil even when dealing with people of very different viewpoint. It takes time and patience to understand others.

Passing judgement without discussion is against civility.
You can post your opinion, but you must carefully choose the words. You wrote "Hercules and C-17 are for North East. Keeping these seven states in India costs India some really pretty penny. The tax collection from these seven states is just a fraction of actual expenses on them. Same with Kashmir." What does it mean?

You have also mentioned insurgency and crime as hindrances(though it is all across India), true, but the question is Why Insurgency in NE?Tthese started in 80's when young educated youths did not find jobs and the central job providers were biased towards Northeasterners as those jobs (Even Grade D posts) were filled up by bringing people from other parts of the country. No Jobs, no infra, then the armed movement started. But things have changed particularly in Assam as govt invested in infra and development but the scene is more or less same in the other NE states. The govt is still doing nothing to sort out these issues. The latest being Bangladeshi intrusions and royal treatments to them by the govt (Vote Bank).

Believe it or not, deprivation led to insurgency and this has become an organised business (kidnapping, extortion etc.) in most of the sates in NE. Drug trafficking is anther promising business in remote parts. Drug addiction is a major challenge in this area. If you come across NE students flocking into other parts of India, the most common reason is that their parents want them to stay away from drug menace at home, but these people are not safe in other parts too and face racial discriminations and abuses (Chi*ki to be the most widely used adjective to refer them), I am not wring these because I relied on News papers or media, I'm writing these because I have witnessed these.. You had no idea, so you threw the stone in the dark. You need to study more before making an attempt to post your views on NE so that your views do not hurt others.

Last edited:

sgarg

brational: I respect your viewpoint. You have highlighted genuine issues which must be tackled by States and Central government together.

Sorry for hurting your sentiment.

The loss of life and resources is an important issue to any country. It is important to resolve problems. Festering insurgencies are not good for any country.

SilentKiller

Country flag
I have heard requirements of 6 more to make for a fleet of 16. This with IL-76 will make for a good sized heavy transport fleet.
IAF is asking for 10 now, but India has to decide fast post 2015, production line is planned to be closed.
India will lose chance here then, as of now India is largest user of C17 after USA with 10 planes.

SilentKiller

Country flag
One must be civil even when dealing with people of very different viewpoint. It takes time and patience to understand others.

Passing judgement without discussion is against civility.
True, but some parts of your post was which i as indian felt it cannot be discussed.
My view....no offence...
cool...:thumb:

sgarg

What will IAF do with so many heavy transports?

There was a discussion on Bharat Rakshak long back about serious under-use of IL-76 fleet.

India is a continental power. Stuff moves by rail and road. Only Andmans are disconnected but you need ships for that area for supply.

sgarg

India's requirements are not same as USA's requirements. USA maintains hundreds of overseas bases. They need a large transport fleet.

India's transports - even smaller ones are under-utilized.

biswaranjanrath.sipu

Right now only c17 is the only aircraft that can carry 60ton arjun mk1 and 65ton arjun mk 2.so large no of c 17 will help to carry tanks to remote places as soon as possible which il76 cannot do.

Last edited:

Blackwater

IAF is asking for 10 now, but India has to decide fast post 2015, production line is planned to be closed.
India will lose chance here then, as of now India is largest user of C17 after USA with 10 planes.
If production line is closing it means some new breed is coming soon

sgarg

Right now only c17 is the only aircraft that can carry 60ton arjun mk1 and 65ton arjun mk 2.so large no of c 17 will help to carry tanks to carry remote places as soon as possible which il76 cannot do.
Carry Arjun where? The Arjun is deployed in Rajasthan (desert area) only.

For Punjab, or north-east, they do not have logistics for Arjun. So where will Arjun go??

IL-76 is now available with 70 tons load capacity for under 100Mil a piece. So what advantage C17 gives?

You forgot what I said earlier - India is a continental power. It does have roads and rail connecting all parts of country. Armour typically moves on road or rail. Have you ever seen tanks on top of flat train cars?

Tanks are very rarely transported through air.

The main job of transports is to take troops, supplies, and ammunition quickly to a target area. Big planes like C-17 are very visible on radar, so they can use only airports in the interior - far away from battleground.

Last edited:

pmaitra

Right now only c17 is the only aircraft that can carry 60ton arjun mk1 and 65ton arjun mk 2.so large no of c 17 will help to carry tanks to carry remote places as soon as possible which il76 cannot do.
If production line is closing it means some new breed is coming soon
The Indian order kept the production lines open, and saved many jobs. A new design was already in the making when India opted for this. In any event, India needs to get more of these. These are an excellent addition to the IAF fleet.

Carry Arjun where? The Arjun is deployed in Rajasthan (desert area) only.

For Punjab, or north-east, they do not have logistics for Arjun. So where will Arjun go??

IL-76 is now available with 70 tons load capacity for under 100Mil a piece. So what advantage C17 gives?
Boeing C-1777,519 kgCrew: 3
Ilyushin-7660,000 kgCrew: 6
Ilyushin-7885,720 kgCrew: 5

sgarg

pmaitra: I have already said that C-17 is a good plane. However usage of the plane in operations is also a necessity.

If C-17 ends up doing only what IL-76 can, and costs 4 time per piece, then it is not a smart buy.

Couple this with Uncle's propensity to sanction any country that remotely digresses from its diktat.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
IL-76MD may be cheaper but are more expensive to keep that is its maintenance over time and delays, In this way C-17 might have higher unit cost but has lower maintenance cost and with full supply of spares in time unlike Russians ..

sgarg

IL-76 has never been grounded for lack of spares, as far as I know.

The maintenance cost of a higher unit price item is always higher, not lower, as maintenance is always % of initial cost.

IL-76 is well supported as it is main transport in Russia as well.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I cannot find the source but its the spare availability and soaring maintenance cost which cause IAF to look for C-17 in mass ..

sgarg

At least c17 will not need any major refit for next 10-15 years except some regular minor repair.
It is a transport, not a fighter.

kunal biswas said:
I cannot find the source but its the spare availability and soaring maintenance cost which cause IAF to look for C-17 in mass.
Unlikely otherwise IAF could not have bought IL-78 and A-50 based on the same IL-76 platform. IL-76 are also used by ARC.
It is through FMS - which is more like keeping Uncle happy.

sgarg

I think Hercules is the correct purchase as a suitable plane for special forces was not there. Not so with C-17.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles