C-17 Globemaster III (IAF)

dealwithit

Antony to induct C-17 heavy-lift aircraft in IAF on Sept 2

Giving a major boost to strategic airlift capabilities of the Air Force, Defence Minister A K Antony will formally induct the 75-80 tonne C-17 heavy-lift transport aircraft into service on September 2 at the Hindon Air Base near here.
The Defence Minister will formally induct the aircraft procured from the US under a deal expected to be over Rs 20,000 crore into the newly formed 81 Squadron here, IAF officials said here.
The American C-17, with a capability to carry around 80 tonnes of load and around 150 fully geared troops, will replace the Russian Il-76 as the biggest aircraft in the IAF inventory till now.The Il-76 had the capability to carry loads upto around 40 tonnes.
The IAF has placed orders with the US for ten such aircraft under the deal signed in 2011 and three of them have already been delivered.
The US Air Force will complete the delivery of all the 10 aircraft by the end of next year.
The aircraft is expected to enhance the operational potential of the IAF with its payload carriage and performance capability and would augment the strategic reach during disaster relief or any similar missions.
In recent times, the IAF has shifted its dependence from the Russian-origin aircraft towards the American ones with the induction of the C-17 and the C-130J Super Hercules transport aircraft.
The IAF operates six C-130Js and has plans of procuring six more for operations on small and unpaved runways alongside routine transport missions.
The IAF also has the Russian Antonov-32 in its inventory.

dealwithit

May looking for future market ... As US was lobbying in India to participate in Going to Die project F 35

Crusader53

India could clearly use more C-17's. So, hopefully Boeing can get at least a couple more orders to keep the production line going.

Crusader53

May looking for future market ... As US was lobbying in India to participate in Going to Die project F 35

The F-35 is not going to fail. That said, I think India would be wise to cancel the Rafale Deal. Instead I would go with a mixed fleet of PAK-FA's and F-35's. Then after gaining experience with both types. I would select a Partner to Co-Develop a 6th Generation Fighter with and unlike the PAK-FA. India would be on the ground floor and a Equal Partner.

Can't change the mistake made. Yet, can make sure they don't happen again in the future.

dealwithit

@Crusader53

India cannot afford the Loosing Rafael deal ... It is so important to IAF...
As even considering canceling rafael and signing f35 => F35 will induct in IAF by 2020..

Last edited by a moderator:

drkrn

The F-35 is not going to fail. That said, I think India would be wise to cancel the Rafale Deal. Instead I would go with a mixed fleet of PAK-FA's and F-35's. Then after gaining experience with both types. I would select a Partner to Co-Develop a 6th Generation Fighter with and unlike the PAK-FA. India would be on the ground floor and a Equal Partner.

Can't change the mistake made. Yet, can make sure they don't happen again in the future.
it would be glad if us selects equal partners for its F-35 first

Crusader53

They (India) didn't ask............Nonetheless, just like the PAK-FA it's to late.

Crusader53

@Crusader53

India cannot afford the Loosing Rafael deal ... It is so important to IAF...
As even considering canceling rafael and signing f35 => F35 will induct in IAF by 2020..
It could if it was replaced by the F-35. Honestly, I see little advantage in the Rafale. Respectfully, I think you could make a better case for a Stealthy Twin Seat Version of the PAK-FA. Which, would require some development. The latter could even include some Western Components.

I've suggest that India could purchase the rights of such at type and maybe able to export it! As what country has a 2-Seat Stealthy Strike Fighter. Something like a 5th Generation F-15E Strike Fighter.

Last edited by a moderator:

drkrn

It could if it was replaced by the F-35. Honestly, I see little advantage in the Rafale. Respectfully, I think you could make a better case for a Stealthy Twin Seat Version of the PAK-FA. Which, would require some development. The latter could even include some Western Components.

I've suggest that India could purchase the rights of such at type and maybe able to export it! As what country has a 2-Seat Stealthy Strike Fighter. Something like a 5th Generation F-15E Strike Fighter.
personally i see a lot of advantages with rafale

1.as india already uses french fighters,very less logistic problems for jet
2.full tot
3.back door help for development of jet engine
4.advanced avionics and weapons.

bose

Country flag

It is correct that F-35 would have been better choice for India v/s Rafale, but the point we are missing is that India not only want to buy the machine but also the knowledge that comes as part of transfer of technology [TOT], I do not see USA sharing technology with India at least at this point of time... May be 5 to 10 years down the line there may be change of heart at Washington & Delhi.

IAF need a tested & operational aircraft immediately, so Rafale was the choice...

Last edited:

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
Indian Air Force to induct its biggest transport aircraft on Monday

New Delhi, Sep 2 (PTI): Bolstering the Indian Air Force's capability to swiftly transport combat troops and equipment such as tanks to the front, Defence Minister A K Antony will on Monday formally induct its biggest 70-tonne C-17 heavy-lift transport aircraft into service at the Hindon Air Base near Delhi.

Mr Antony will formally induct the aircraft procured from the US under a deal expected to be over Rs. 20,000 crore into the newly-formed 81 'Skylord' Squadron in Delhi, IAF officials said.

Indian Air Force to induct its biggest transport aircraft on Monday

p2prada

Russia has never delivered on time or price agreed. So far no delays or price hikes by USA.
They simply aren't delivering the kind of stuff that Russia is. So that's not a realistic comparison.

Compare Mi-17 delivery schedule to C-17 instead. Both are on time and on the price agreed.

Neil

Country flag
Globemasters deployed for overseas missions

The 'SkyLords' have already begun to spread their wings. India has quietly started deploying its latest aircraft, the gigantic C-17 Globemaster-III, on "special overseas airlift missions" in tune with its geostrategic objectives.

Defence ministry sources on Monday said while one C-17 made a trip to energy-rich Tajikistan in August, another is slated to fly all the way to Rwanda later this month. "The Tajik flight carried special equipment, including instrument landing aids. The one to Rwanda will carry heavy equipment to support our troops deployed in the UN stabilization mission in war-ravaged Congo," said a source.

This comes even as the C-17s are being flown to places like Port Blair, Leh and Thoise within the country on different missions. Impressed with the "sheer ruggedness" of the four-engine C-17s, dubbed "game-changers" by Air Chief Marshal N A K Browne, IAF has finalised plans to acquire six more Globemasters in the 13th Plan (2017-2022) period.

Three of the first 10 C-17 aircraft ordered for $4.1 billion from the US were "formally" inducted into the 81 Squadron, nicknamed the 'SkyLords', at the Hindon airbase last week. While another two will touch down by November, the other five will come by end-2014. Designed to swiftly airlift a 70-tonne cargo across 4,200 km, the C-17s can even land at makeshift airstrips in forward areas.

The overseas missions are being seen as "crucial" to Indian interests abroad. India has forged a "deep strategic partnership" with Tajikistan, which shares its borders with Afghanistan, China, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan. In March-April, India had also used its C-130J 'Super Hercules' aircraft to airlift a military hospital with doctors, paramedics and equipment to Tajikistan.

Moreover, the Indian military presence at the Ayni airbase, around 15 km from Dushanbe, helps New Delhi keep some tabs on its strategic interests in Central Asia as well as terrorism-infested Af-Pak region.

The C-17 flight to Rwanda, in turn, will be "critical" in supporting the 4,000 Indian troops deployed in Congo. "The C-17s have tremendously boosted India's capabilities for strategic operations overseas. It would have required three to four trips by our older IL-76 aircraft to carry the heavy load to Rwanda, which is the gateway to Congo. The C-17 will do in a single non-stop flight," said the source.

Globemasters deployed for overseas missions - The Times of India

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles