Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

ppgj

It is standard equipment. All tanks come out with APUs now. It is not something extraordinary. Even Engineering students use APUs or tiny IC engines, that fit the size of our palms.

Our T-72s are also being upgraded with APUs now.
http://news.rediff.com/report/2010/...spend-rs-5000-crore-on-obsolete-t72-tanks.htm
i am not saying they are extra ordinary. from open source info i do not see them on T-90's that we have. since you said they have, i asked for a source.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
It is standard equipment. All tanks come out with APUs now. It is not something extraordinary. Even Engineering students use APUs or tiny IC engines, that fit the size of our palms.

Our T-72s are also being upgraded with APUs now.
http://news.rediff.com/report/2010/...spend-rs-5000-crore-on-obsolete-t72-tanks.htm
P2P check this

http://frontierindia.net/dissimilar-combat-arjun-mbt-vs-t-90s-specs

rjun MBT features Auxiliary Power Units (APU) which T-90S does not have. APU’s provide continuous operation in silent watch mode.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
P2P no APU in the T 90S which was bought by the IA (300 units)........yeah al khalid have APU and so is arjun, therefore T 90S will have to start is only engine even when it had to operate silently, you see these are the disadvantage with T 90S.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Now this is not a logical statement. "They already do" does not mean they will continue to do so in the future. It only means as of now they do outsource it, which is not my point. I din't say they don't outsource it. Of-course I am just speculating, so we both can stick to our views as no one can see future.
They haven't spent billions of dollars on French thermal license without a reason. The reason is theirs are inferior and have opted to skip the R&D and go with superior French models. Our orders are booked well to the end of the decade which means they aren't anywhere close to indiginisation in the technology.

Last edited by a moderator:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
P2P no APU in the T 90S which was bought by the IA (300 units)........yeah al khalid have APU and so is arjun, therefore T 90S will have to start is only engine even when it had to operate silently, you see these are the disadvantage with T 90S.
Without an APU the Bhishma will show up like a light bulb on the enemies thermal imagers. It will also burn far more fuel increasing the logistics footprint. If this is going to be the spearhead of the Strike Corps they must buy Arjun, it is a necessity.

ppgj

sayar, also T-90 operates on manual transmission as compared to both Arjun and Al-Khalid which run on automatic transmission. Al-Khalids also have 1200 hp engine.

btw, wanted to know the dimensions of the APU units? will space be a constraint in the T-90's to put them?

Without an APU the Bhishma will show up like a light bulb on the enemies thermal imagers. It will also burn far more fuel increasing the logistics footprint. If this is going to be the spearhead of the Strike Corps they must buy Arjun, it is a necessity.
agree with you. besides reducing thermal signature, APU stretches engine life and reduces fuel consumption. a big gain in terms of logistics.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
sayar, also T-90 operates on manual transmission as compared to both Arjun and Al-Khalid which run on automatic transmission.
check this pic

inside of Arjun tank one of the rare pics.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
great picture sayar!! means it has both auto/manual mode. :D
PPGJ it is important to have auto/manual mode transmission, this the main requirement, as the Punjab fields (farm land) and rivers at time of flood makes mud, there the auto transmission is not userful. Pakistan learn it hard way.

ppgj

PPGJ it is important to have auto/manual mode transmission, this the main requirement, as the Punjab fields (farm land) and rivers at time of flood makes mud, there the auto transmission is not userful. Pakistan learn it hard way.
yes. you are right. strange is our army. they reject a great asset and accept a no asset!! this may turn out to be a burden later. hope better sense prevails on them.

The 1kw power unit is only for the communications gear. To run the rest of the systems takes an 18kw generator that doesn't appear to be in the export model.
you made a great point there Armand.

amitkriit

Its a great decision to become self-reliant, its greater to be willing to accept being stuck in a quagmire and trying to get out of it at the earliest.
Arjun project gave us a chance to learn, now we must shelve it and move on, they will make an excellent showpiece in front of our cantonment areas.

p2prada

Let's not bring planes into it. The Russians have one of the best optics sensors for planes and will not be needing French technology on that one.

Tank development and Fighter development use different technologies lead by different departments.

Last edited by a moderator:

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
The recent post by Saya in the Defexpo thread brought a thought, The DGMF may well be on the middle path by buying arjun hulls for the BHIM while continuing with the T-90 as the workhorse MBT

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
But Bhim project was canceled after Denel got blacklisted correct? Because it was using Denel gun and Arjun chassis. Is the blacklisting removed?

amitkriit

I got a chance to have a look at Arjun and it's interior, trust me it looks like a earth mover. Controls are so clumsy. Arjun cannot fire and hit bull's eye when on move(it needs to stop completely), while T-90 and Al-khalid can.
Arjun wins on one front, it has got good armor, but are we gonna send our tanks for battle so that our enemies get a chance to do target practice and test their weapon system? I don't think so.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I got a chance to have a look at Arjun and it's interior, trust me it looks like a earth mover. Controls are so clumsy. Arjun cannot fire and hit bull's eye when on move(it needs to stop completely), while T-90 and Al-khalid can.
Arjun wins on one front, it has got good armor, but are we gonna send our tanks for battle so that our enemies get a chance to do target practice and test their weapon system? I don't think so.
where do you get that ???

What do you want inside Five star luxury and drive by wire control. I have seen girl driving ARjun tank. video is available here http://chhindits.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2010-02-01T18:28:00+05:30&max-results=20 and Shiv arror driving the same on cross country, he never had any difficulty.

No disrespect if Suman Sharma find it easy to handle Arjun, why do you find it clumsy.

Now we are talking about tank driver, who is trained in driving tanks.

Last edited:

ppgj

it is an accepted and proven fact, Arjun gives better crew comfort, better crew protection, better accuracy, better first kill probability both static and on the move because of its suspension. not for nothing former COAS shankar roy chowdhary or Ajai shukla (both are tankmen) vouch for Arjun's superiority.

it is amazing, just by having a look you conclude that Arjun does not offer all that. please do go thro' various links on the thread to know about it. it would be appreciated.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles