AMCA - Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (HAL)

abingdonboy

Country flag
But Nirbhay don't have that much speed as Brahmos...It (nirbhay) can be intercepted very easily.So I prefer brahmos than nirbhay.
And some one says miniature Brahmos/nirbhay on AMCA..I think that step will effect range , speed, payload etc. I need experts view for this point.
@abingdonboy @Indx TechStyle What do u say
The Nirbhay and Brahmos have different strengths. For the Nirbhay it is its stealth (on account of its terrain following flight profile) and its long range (3-5 times that of the Brahmos). The Brahmos clearly has massive speed on its side and thus enourmous kinetic energy. However, this speed can also be a weakness for the Brahmos as it means there will be enourmous heat build up on account of air resistence and thus the Brahmos will be easier to detect than the sub-sonic Nirbhay for IR sensors.

A mix of these two weapons is ideal.

Superdefender

The Nirbhay and Brahmos have different strengths. For the Nirbhay it is its stealth (on account of its terrain following flight profile) and its long range (3-5 times that of the Brahmos). The Brahmos clearly has massive speed on its side and thus enourmous kinetic energy. However, this speed can also be a weakness for the Brahmos as it means there will be enourmous heat build up on account of air resistence and thus the Brahmos will be easier to detect than the sub-sonic Nirbhay for IR sensors.

A mix of these two weapons is ideal.
You can find Brohmos, but can't kill it most probably. A layer of Aegis system required to take down a single Brohmos. It will be a super mayday for enemy if we fire 4-5 Brohmos. But for simillar destruction, you have to fire minimum 12-14 Nirbhayas! If your SEAD and DEAD is 100% (or above 90%) successful, then only Nirbhaya will be effective. Brohmos don't need that. And its weakness is its high cost.

PaliwalWarrior

Akash is fitted on a Tatra truck. But these types of SAMs are too heavy and the truck will not move so much. In typical battlefield, you have basically two type of armors, viz., Tanks and ICV/BMP. LCH does not need to go near SAMs. It will fire NAG from above 21,000ft. And also SAMs system like Akash are stationed inside border to defend. The trucks do not move inside enemy land if I am correct. So if I assume that only Armoured vehicles moves inside our border, LCH and Apache will take care of them.
Close support helps are supposed to fly low not high

We have issues where the missile seekers cannot pick up targets above 4 km and 21000 ft is 7/kms

Chinmoy

Country flag
But Nirbhay don't have that much speed as Brahmos...It (nirbhay) can be intercepted very easily.So I prefer brahmos than nirbhay.
And some one says miniature Brahmos/nirbhay on AMCA..I think that step will effect range , speed, payload etc. I need experts view for this point.
@abingdonboy @Indx TechStyle What do u say
Actually the bottom line is CMs are not at all designed to be carried by Fighters. These weapons are best suited for bombers. But what we are doing is that we are just modifying our current platforms to carry a single CM. But again, these sytems are best launched from land or from destroyers.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Actually the bottom line is CMs are not at all designed to be carried by Fighters. These weapons are best suited for bombers. But what we are doing is that we are just modifying our current platforms to carry a single CM. But again, these sytems are best launched from land or from destroyers.
I guess a launch from Arihant was supposed if Land Attack version succeeds. :)

Superdefender

You are talking about submarine launched Cruise Missile? Well if it can be done I think we will be fourth in world after US, Russia and Israel :)
May be 4th in subsonic CM, but remember India is the first nation to successfully fire supersonic CM Brohmos from sub!!

Superdefender

You are talking about submarine launched Cruise Missile? Well if it can be done I think we will be fourth in world after US, Russia and Israel :)
May be 4th in subsonic CM, but remember India is the first nation to successfully fire supersonic CM Brohmos from sub!!

Sabru Foxtrot

Sabru Foxtrot

here is the exclusive video of LCH in action captured by Saurav Chordia on Iron Fist 2016

Exclusive video of IAF Paratroopers jumping from C-17 Globemaster - Exercise Iron Fist 2016

Superdefender

New Wiki update: 23mm GSH-301 has been changed to 30mm GSH-301 canon. Wondering what planners of AMCA have in their minds? 23mm is suited for air-air burst where as 30mm is best suited for anti-vehicle purpose. 30mm canon has lower muzzle velocity, lower rate of fire and lesser ammunition to fire, but is the most accurate and causes heavy damage to both ground light/armoured vehicle and infantry. So which should be better? Should ADA design AMCA canon looking to aerial warfare or ground target?

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Should ADA design AMCA canon looking to aerial warfare or ground target?
As far as I know, AMCA is a program for 5G fighters and not a fighter.
Just like J-20 and J-31 are output to J-XX program.

AMCA is a multirole fighter so both Air Superiority a Ground Attack versions must be made.

garg_bharat

Country flag
New Wiki update: 23mm GSH-301 has been changed to 30mm GSH-301 canon. Wondering what planners of AMCA have in their minds? 23mm is suited for air-air burst where as 30mm is best suited for anti-vehicle purpose. 30mm canon has lower muzzle velocity, lower rate of fire and lesser ammunition to fire, but is the most accurate and causes heavy damage to both ground light/armoured vehicle and infantry. So which should be better? Should ADA design AMCA canon looking to aerial warfare or ground target?
Maybe they think air-air fighting using gun is outdated. So ground attack is a better use of such gun.

Superdefender

As far as I know, AMCA is a program for 5G fighters and not a fighter.
Just like J-20 and J-31 are output to J-XX program.

AMCA is a multirole fighter so both Air Superiority a Ground Attack versions must be made.
Hmm...listening this for first time. How can AMCA be a 5th gen. program?! And 2 separate models for air superioty and ground attack! It is a multirole fighter, mean it can do all function in one sortie.

Superdefender

Maybe they think air-air fighting using gun is outdated. So ground attack is a better use of such gun.
May be a smart approach. As long as AMCA (using its superior stealth) detects first and take out adversary from beyond visual range, 23mm canon will be useless. I guess they will be essential for previous gen. unstealthy fighters. In case of a dogfight, pilot can use it. You can jam an AAM, but can't do the same with canon rounds. 30mm burst is accurate (though 1/3 or 1/4 ammo of 23mm canon), but way more lethal and can take out everything on the battlefield. So AMCA will be a true multirole bird.

Superdefender

May be a smart approach. As long as AMCA (using its superior stealth) detects first and take out adversary from beyond visual range, 23mm canon will be useless. I guess they will be essential for previous gen. unstealthy fighters. In case of a dogfight, pilot can use it. You can jam an AAM, but can't do the same with canon rounds. 30mm burst is accurate (though 1/3 or 1/4 ammo of 23mm canon), but way more lethal and can take out everything on the battlefield. So AMCA will be a true multirole bird.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles