ADA Tejas Mark-II/Medium Weight Fighter

niku456

True Paik of Ahom Kingdom
btw astra 1 itself can reach 110 kms if fired from 15 km altitude at 0.9 mach aircraft speed.44km at 5km altitude and 21 km at ground level.
thanks for information. Can astra give edge to IAF as pakis getting SIDEWINDER?

niku456

which are the platform we are arming with ASTRA? I think till date MKIs are. Point me if wrong

niku456

AIM-9 Sidewinder is a short-range air-to-air missile with just 35 km range. Astra has edge over it for sure.
i came across lot of hails from pakis regarding this, as they wil compromise the gap. I think DRDO deserve salute. Good work DRDO.

Khagesh

@power_monger

I am not an engineer so would not know of the specs but then there is a lot that is apparent even to a layman.

For example in your statement, which is also the official description of the Astra range capability, there is no mention of the trajectory they are talking about. So with an Uttam AESA with a presumed instrumented range of 94 km in the look up mode you are not sure if you can launch the Astra BVR to the farthest point upwards. If I remember correct Astra would be able to do 15 km straight up from near the ground launching station (not willing to stick to this and I may be wrong). But it is obvious that Uttam AESA far out-ranges Astra in the look up mode esp. considering the clutter-less skies. In such a situation I would like to employ some extra functionality to Uttam AESA or leave some of its capabilities spare for other tasks (probably increasing the target tracks it can handle). AESAs being, by nature, a multi-tasking equipment.

Similarly Uttam AESA will likely be under-ranged in the look down mode for an Astra because while even the current Astra will be able to do 100 km launched towards a low level ingress bogie the Uttam AESA may find itself working extra hard to sort out clutering. What if we can allow the radar to prioritize its search with the IRST helping in the process.

In fact Uttam AESA will have a hard time, on its own to utilize fully the capabilities on the LCA Mk-2 and likewise in some cases the current LCA Mk-2 will not be able to optimally utilize the capabilities brought on board by the Uttam AESA. Currently there is no IRST and no data fusion on Mk-2. We get an Uttam AESA simpliciter.

But what if we negotiate with the Americans for a podded IRST and have it slaved to the Uttam AESA. No radical industry sized conversion required for example with changing over to GaN modules. Nor any heavy duty data fusion engine required. Mere slaving of these two capabilities to each other will increase the individual capabilities of both. IRST will be able to see further in the GMTI and SAR mode and Uttam AESA then can be used, manually to be decided as to the spot to be focused on. Prominent point identification and block matching would be greatly supplemented by the capability of an IRST to identify the hotspots. Similarly in air to air mode the scanning duty can be eased for the Uttam AESA and the spare capacity can then be used to rationalize the tracking features. And I would guess a lot of this gets rationalized by mere slaving.

It would be easier to develop in the later marks, an Astra for longer ranges. But can we free up the Uttam AESA from its volume search duties to that extent.

Today we can launch a ~100 km ~1000 kg Laser/GPS guided glide bomb but then we will have to utilize a off board capability to take that bomb to its target. Despite the fact that almost all the aircrafts in the IAF inventory can lug this glide bomb.

Then I would love as I said above, to see what the europeans call a mechanical re-positioner for their CaptorE. This will enable the LCA Mk-2 pilot to check out the edges in far greater detail and for far longer then is otherwise possible. Negating the need for a large amount of nick of time maneuvering. This can take the sting out of the usual criticism - no canard, no vectoring, lower g loads. You don't need to reinvent the whole plane to satisfy the nay sayers. Many of whom are in the IAF itself. This kind of mechanical re-positioning of the AESA probably will also allow the pilot to try out new maneuvers for certain kinds of mixed aircraft formations.

Just my two cents. TIFWIW.

Caveat – I am happy with what is being done. Secure in the belief that what I can see is already being seen by much smarter people. My aim is to only check out the mileage of the car :p.

Last edited by a moderator:

power_monger

Country flag
Khagesh,

My personal belief is,100 kms range is very high for air to air missile to achieve a kill unless aircraft is absolutly un-aware about the missile.Secondly, In future we could see the role of data link where the radar data comes from UAV's and stationary radars which have both higher range and higher power. So unless we are doing offensive roles far away from our borders,the range of uttam should not be a bigger issue.

Khagesh

You are right the range of Uttam AESA is not the issue. What I was thinking was how to use the spare capacity and additionally how to create further spare capacity for multiple usages that an AESA is inherently capable of.

The futuristic data links may take some time to come and may itself need some Indianization/Rationalization. See because we are poor third world rice eating country so will always be forced to compromise/radicalize/rationalize/Indianize our solutions. :rofl:

But thanks to your prodding and pushing here is something that caught my eye - "High Performance Graphics to support Situational Awareness, Decision Support & Data Fusion" being spoken of in the context of LCA!!??$%# What the hell are they talking about? I don't know but here it is for whatever its worth.

Last edited:

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
Progress on LCA Mk.2 cockpit config

April 06, 2015: The look and feel of the all-glass cockpit that the LCA Tejas Mk.2 will sport is fructifying with the Aeronautical Development Agency announcing that the main display will involve two 6x8 Smart MFDs and one 5x5 smart MFD in centre console "based on the latest and best design technologies currently available in the market". The ADA is looking for a full solution to its SMFD needs for the LCA Mk.2 programme. The capability exists in country, though a competitive process will now ensue. The ADA is looking for active matrix TFT color liquid crystal display SMFDs with separate LED backlight for day and night modes with redundancy for backlighting in both the modes, touch screen capability (will be the first Indian aircraft to sport touch screen panels), anti-reflection coating, full sun readability and night vision capability, compatibility as per NVIS Class B MIL-STD-3009B, EMI protectio, the bezel shall have push buttons, rocker switches and rotary knobs, auto brightness control (ABC) of the display using illumination sensors placed on bezel, capability for windowed image overlay driven by the display processors, dual channel video to support redundant display processors, continuous health monitoring with periodic built-in-test reporting along with its normal operation, provision for operator Initiated Built-In-Test, In-situ programming capability. Conduction Cooled with no external cooling for the entire range of operating temperature.
Progress on LCA Mk.2 cockpit config - SP’s Exculsive

sgarg

@Khagesh, if we are talking IAF vs PAF, the engagements are likely at shorter distances may be between 10km-30km. Pakistani airfields are not very far from the Indian border.
Only in case of ingress from the sea route (let us say towards Mumbai) will actual BVR ranges will come in play. Su-30 is the most likely candidate that PAF will encounter in such cases.

Khagesh

@sgarg, no I was talking in general terms.

Pakis can be dealt with many different ways. Most likely they will chose not to fly the PAF and instead sue for peace.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
[video]https://youtu.be/kbLJcQltaE0?t=116[/video]

1. DM said, MIG-21 will be replaced by Tejas and If not Tejas then other single engine fighter ( He did not mention any criteria or even name of MK2 or MK1 )

2. DM Said, If HAL can push MK2 in numbers the remaining 90 / 126 can be filled by MK2 besides filling the MIG-21 gap, If it fails the MK2 will be replacing the place of MIG-21 as planned in next 6-10 years. ( Rafale cannot replace MIG-21 but Tejas MK2 can replace rafale place )

2. DM was comparing Rafale with Tejas MK1, Stating Rafale has combat radius of 1000kms not ferry range, Tejas was not compared with other light fighters with range or payload ..

gokussj9

Country flag

I am sure most of the people here have watched this 6 part series of discussions on IAF needs and issues.To me it seems IAF does not want MK1 and is hoping for MK2 and it will take quite a while for DRDO/ADA to design that. Unless DM persuades IAF to make peace with MK1 or DRDO comes with MK2 real fast, I dont see any future for Tejas and the project may get scrapped.

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
[video]https://youtu.be/kbLJcQltaE0?t=116[/video]

1. DM said, MIG-21 will be replaced by Tejas and If not Tejas then other single engine fighter ( He did not mention any criteria or even name of MK2 or MK1 )

2. DM Said, If HAL can push MK2 in numbers the remaining 90 / 126 can be filled by MK2 besides filling the MIG-21 gap, If it fails the MK2 will be replacing the place of MIG-21 as planned in next 6-10 years. ( Rafale cannot replace MIG-21 but Tejas MK2 can replace rafale place )
Kunal sir I watched the video twice I was not able to find the support to your second point.
2. DM was comparing Rafale with Tejas MK1, Stating Rafale has combat radius of 1000kms not ferry range, Tejas was not compared with other light fighters with range or payload ..
I dont think Dm was actually comparing the two ,,, tough he did mention both the factors.
Rafale radius and said Tejas ki mar achi hai but kuch limitations hai.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
He was justifying Rafale procurement as it`s combat radius greater than Tejas ..

sgarg

HAL must see LCA Tejas as a great opportunity and deliver it fast and with great quality. Otherwise HAL will find itself walking into the sunset as competitors rise.

The country will not be able to put up with this kind of monopoly for long.

HAL cannot survive on screw driver projects any longer.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
HAL or No HAL, The Tejas will continue ..

It is an effort from government ..

Pulkit

Country flag
He was justifying Rafale procurement as it`s combat radius greater than Tejas ..
Yes that is true and what he stated is also true but he was talking about them as different entities unrelated to each other.

What he said that we needed something with the combat radius of 1000 km for strategic reasons so Rafale which in his knowledge is one of the best.
He did compare Rafale with other MMRCA competitors and even said that in few things some are even better than rafale and in some rafale is better.

but I dont think He in anyway compared Tejas with Rafale...

Just my thot

Pulkit

Country flag
HAL must see LCA Tejas as a great opportunity and deliver it fast and with great quality. Otherwise HAL will find itself walking into the sunset as competitors rise.

The country will not be able to put up with this kind of monopoly for long.

HAL cannot survive on screw driver projects any longer.
HAL has a lot on its plate nothing more should be given to them ever.
Let them master what they have for ever .
Let them wait for new things.
let the existing assemblies flow but nothing new.

Get private sector in and give deadlines strict.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
What is the ferry range ,combat radius and combat air patrol range of Tejas Mk-2
How many hours it can stay in air without refueling

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles