ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DEFNEWSFOLLOWER

It looks like someone like household plumber just plonked the IFR probe to a surface. The place seems odd as it looks like it will obstruct pilot's view. I don't know if I am right or wrong since I am just a fanboy, hope I am wrong.
Good news. You are wrong. The probe has to be visible to the pilot for him to insert it in the refueling nozzle. Also, the angle of the photo gives the impression that it's too much in the view. Should not be the case when seen from pilot's view. They designed a fighter aircraft, have some faith!

kunal1123

Country flag
That's 3 in a year. Now compare it with 33 Rafales already production up to complete Qatar and Egyptian order, 40 F16 if required in a year. It will put HAL to shame. They promised 16 LCA in a year in 2014, Ghanta delivered only 3 till now it's 2017.:shoot::shoot::shoot::shoot: the asses of HAL Management.
that not the point here, hal is still improving the production pattern as each plane is more mature production pattern than previous on and mostly they are sticking up to there saying about rate of production , 6 till march 2017 and then 8 then with second line 16 . so that when time for production of mk1a it can come smoothly, remember lca mark1a is suppose to start production around 2019-2020 and i do wish they increase the production to 24 per year minimum.

wuzetian

It looks like someone like household plumber just plonked the IFR probe to a surface. The place seems odd as it looks like it will obstruct pilot's view. I don't know if I am right or wrong since I am just a fanboy, hope I am wrong.
I have also seen Mirages with similar probes

tejas warrior

Country flag
Among the main parts outsourced are: wing to L&T (Coimbatore), central fuselage VEM Technologies (Hyderabad) and rear fuselage Alpha Tocol (Bengaluru). The precision mechanical assemblies are being done by Alpa Tocol and BrahMos Aerospace (Thiruvananthapuram).

“Currently the level of outsourcing is around 39 per cent. When all the new initiatives taken recently to step up the production rate come to play, then the level of outsourcing will increase to 61 per cent as far as standard man hours are concerned,” says Sridharan.
This is awesome.

With 60℅ man-hour work outsourced, HAL should achieve higher than 8 aircraft per annum from current assembly itself.

Last edited:

Scrutator

Will this probe be a retracting refuelling probe or it will be a extended from aircraft like its shown in picture? If its extended it could distract pilot's panorama visibility..
It's non-retractable. No space left inside the plane to retract the probe.
It's very likely that the Mk2 version will also not feature a retractable probe - again for space constraints.
Don't think it's that much of a distraction - the most modern Rafale also features a non-retractable probe!!!

Saichand K

Country flag
Real slow .
Generally, the pace of aircraft building in a assembly line is never linear. It slowly picks up pace with a rapid increase in outsourcing, increase in experienced workforce. Currently, HAL could only outsource 39% of the parts being assembled. As per the new agreements which would come into effect very soon, HAL outsourced 61% of the work. So I am pretty sure that pace of the work would pick up now. You cannot compare with well dug-in aerospace assembly lines like that of F-16 and Rafale which have been in the game quite some time now.

Saichand K

Country flag
Will this probe be a retracting refuelling probe or it will be a extended from aircraft like its shown in picture? If its extended it could distract pilot's panorama visibility..
I don't think that it will be much of a distraction to pilot. Check Mirage 2000I and Rafale refueling probe. I think it is more of camera angle which makes it appear that way.

kunal1123

Country flag
Analysis: India's LCA Program Keeps On Fighting

In the 2017 time frame, we would like to do a re-configuration of the aircraft to make it better in terms of aerodynamic performance. Following this we will start the detailed design activities,” says CD Balaji, program director at the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA). “We are targeting 2020-2021 as the date for maiden flight on LCA Mk2,” he confirms.
ADA is also looking to have the first flight of the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) prototype in 2025 and now plans to develop a new twin-engine fighter for the navy’s carriers. Th fore proposed timelines the AMCA and new navy fighter appear optimistic, considering the limited staff available to ADA and amount of work required to complete development of Tejas Mk1A and LCA Mk2 versions.

The main tasks for the LCA program are now related to completion of final operational clearance (FOC) tasks for Tejas Mk1, development of the Tejas Mk1A, Tejas Mk2 and LCA Navy Mk2. Initial operation clearance (IOC) for the Tejas Mk1 was obtained in December 2013. This is the standard to which Hindustan Aeronautics (HAL) will build the first 20 aeroplanes. Three aircraft have already been delivered to the air force and six more will be delivered in 2017. All 20 airplanes (IOC standard) will be delivered by 2018 and the remaining 20 aircraft (FOC standard) will be delivered by 2020. The ramp-up in production is vital to meeting air force requirements for additional fighters.
To prepare for the increase in production rates for Tejas, HAL will invest 50% of the cost required to raise the production capacity from eight aircraft per year to 16 aircraft per year, while the air force and navy will invest 25% each.
“If we can demonstrate the Mk1A standard by 2018 – then all aircraft produced after that will be to the Mk1A standard including the 20 FOC aircraft,” says HAL chairman Suvarna Raju.
Manufacturing of the 83 Mk1A aircraft will commence in 2020 and continue until about 2025. ADA officials peg the cost of the Tejas Mk1A at $40 million per aircraft. The budgetary approval of $7.7 billion for 83 aircraft also includes the complete ecosystem for all 123 aircraft on order and includes support for the build-up of squadrons, infrastructure for first and second line servicing. It also covers the establishment of ground infrastructure and engine support and servicing facilities at bases.

read more
sources : http://www.indiandefensenews.in/2017/02/analysis-indias-lca-program-keeps-on.html

lcafanboy

Country flag
I don't think that it will be much of a distraction to pilot. Check Mirage 2000I and Rafale refueling probe. I think it is more of camera angle which makes it appear that way.

Why both these IFR probes look refined and the one on LCA looks shabby. Even the fitting base looks refined on both these whereas fitting base on LCA too looks shabby like some made a hole and plonked it.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

This is only for test, Not production model ..

Inching closer to the final operational task, Tejas got the In-Flight Refueling Probe flown on 31st Jan 2017 on KH-2018 (LSP-8) for the first time.
We take this opportunity to accolade the entire design and integration team for their untiring effort.

Copyright: #ADA

https://www.facebook.com/tejas.lca

abingdonboy

Country flag
Why both these IFR probes look refined and the one on LCA looks shabby. Even the fitting base looks refined on both these whereas fitting base on LCA too looks shabby like some made a hole and plonked it.
Maybe because this is the FIRST IFR probe test on a TEST plane.

The entire purpose of this stage of testing is to validate the LCA's performance in IFR (flight control systems when flying in the wake of a large tanker, nozzle fuel acceptance, the internal fuel pumps of the LCA and shifting balance of the LCA as it is refuelled mid-air).

Aesthetics/refinements will come later, right now they are working on proof of concept.

abingdonboy

Country flag
You want to see an actual $hitty design:

The LCA's is inline with the centre of the fighter and in a conventional position allowing for a greater feild of view when conducting aerial refuelling, in the JF-17 the pilot has to turn his head to keep the probe in sight and thus keep his head orientated away from the cockpit displays- this in a plane with no HMD! This makes the entire IFR process entirely more dangerous with the JF-17.

Contrast that with the way the LCA project has been designed and you see the difference between professionals and amatuers.

R.parida

From Tarmak007 and mathrubhumi.....
Doesn't it looks like the refuelling probe in Tejas fitted in middle of the nose compared to side in other aircrafts. By looking into it I have feeling it will obstruct pilot visibility unless they will modify it in final version..

I have a question, is there is any plan for retractable refuelling probe in MK1a version.

Also anybody went across like. Refuelling probe can't stand in high speed?

abingdonboy

Country flag
Doesn't it looks like the refuelling probe in Tejas fitted in middle of the nose compared to side in other aircrafts. By looking into it I have feeling it will obstruct pilot visibility unless they will modify it in final version..

I have a question, is there is any plan for retractable refuelling probe in MK1a version.

Also anybody went across like. Refuelling probe can't stand in high speed?
See my reply above, this probe is the first iteration and not the final product. the entire purpose of fitting the probe right now is not to have a final design but validate all the other ancilary aspects of IFR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles