Sundarji defied political leaders in confrontation with Chinese troops

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Currently, Delhi is not listening.

They and the Opposition are currently buried under tons of Coaldust.

sob

Mod
Country flag
I am in complete agreement with this assessment by Mr.Shyam Saran,

How India manages its relations with other major powers, in particular, the US, would also be a factor. My own experience has been that the closer India-US relations are seen to be, the more amenable China has proved to be,"

the stronger India's links are with these major powers, the more room India would have in its relations with China.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
There are 3 points I take from the article, which do set the tone we ought to take:

Shyam Saran said:
1 The lesson to be drawn is not that we should be militarily provocative but that we should have enough capabilities deployed to convince the other side that aggressive moves would invite counter moves.

2 He said strong relations with global powers like the US and Russia are key to how India handles its ties with China in the coming years.

3 ... How India manages its relations with other major powers, in particular, the US, would also be a factor. My own experience has been that the closer India-US relations are seen to be, the more amenable China has proved to be,
We need to be militarily strong, maintain our relations well with both the US and Russia, and in no way shy away from pursuing better relations with the US because of past experiences, though no point over looking the past as well.

A word on retd. Ambassador Shyam Saran, the little I have heard about him, he is a very highly regarded diplomat.

Oracle

Some insights: An Overview and Assessment of the Indian Army's Cold Start Strategy

[PDF]http://users.ox.ac.uk/~mert1769/Ladwig,%20Cold%20Start%20NPS%20Paper.pdf[/PDF]

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
we have to trap panda in his own strings. Lets have all our options open. As far as politicians are concern they want to burry their eyes in sand when it comes to China. MMS has shown some concern but he has to build capabilities, 1 & half year has left i dont think he will do much now.

ani82v

Country flag
Army is lacking man and material for a functioning Integrated Battle Groups for Cold Start. And Govt spending focusing on AF and IN is not helping Army as well. This situation is to remain such in near future.

IAF's disagreement with Cold Start doctoring which puts IAF opertaing under the command of Army which does not go down well with them. IAF expect both the wings working simultaneously on pre-defined plan and work relativly exclusively without much co-ordination. They have to understand that when it comes to PK, Army is in the driving seat.

There is a lack of cadre for Joint Service which is secular to Army, Navy or AF. This would also be more capable to participate in creating future policies with Civilian Govt not just for security but Foreign policy also.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
This man, his words and deeds are studied and quoted by many defense experts in west. He's worth his salt.

pankaj nema

Country flag
After 1987 when India and China faced off in Tawang Indian ECONOMY has
grown up by TEN TIMES

So naturally we can expect more resources and more capabilities for Indian Armed forces

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles