Rediff: China's high speed bullet train network exceeds 10,000 km

rockdog

Country flag
China's high speed bullet train network exceeds 10,000 km - Rediff.com Business

China's fast expanding high-speed bullet train lines have exceeded 10,000 km with the opening of a railway track linking the coastal city of Fuzhou and in-land Nanchang on Thursday.

It is the fourth line to open this year and the total length of track for speedy trains in the country is 10,463 kilometres.

Last year, the figure was 9,356 kilometres. With the new line, the travelling time between Fuzhou, capital city of southeastern FujianProvince, and Nanchang, capital city of Jiangxi Province, will be reduced from the previous 11 hours to 3 hours and 12 minutes.

The train travels at 200 kilometres per hour, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.

At the initial stage of operation, 37 bullet trains will be used for passengers and 18 will carry cargo, according to China Railway Corporation.

----------------------

Article and comments available here:

随着向莆铁路通车,中国高铁运营里程突破1万公里 - 三泰虎

rockdog

Country flag
Some interesting comments from Rediff:

--------------------------------------------------------

Fabulous
by SrinivasaKannan Vijayaraghavan

I had 2 times an oppurtunity to tarvel in the bullet train at China from Nanjing to Shanghai and again back from Shanghai to Nanjing.Almost a distance of 400 Kms one way was covered in 1 hr and 15 mins.. This service was noway lesser than the much boasted and hyped Shinkansan Bullet train of Japan in which i also i travelled twice from Tokyo to Nagoya and from Osaka to Tokyo almost a span of 400 Kms.

The japanese train charged me close to 10000 yen ( Rs.6600 one way) ad whereas in China i was charged just 400 RMB (Rs.2800)

I can say chinese mastered Technology at par with Japan with a most affordable cost.. In India we can fly for same distance at rs.6000 spending almost 1 hour at lounge and 1 hour at travel.

It is seen to be beleived that China is almost 15 years ahead of India and progressing at 2 years speed in every 6 months..compared to India's progress of 6 months in every 2 years.. Only with Patriotic and determined Leaders only can change such a scenario.

我有机会两次乘坐中国高铁,分别是从南京到上海,然后从上海返回南京。两地距离大约是400公里,单程旅行时间1小时15分钟。中国高铁绝对不输大肆吹嘘和大肆炒作的日本新干线。我也坐过两次新干线,分别是从东京到名古屋,然后从名古屋返回东京,两地的距离也大约是400公里。

日本的单程票价接近1万日元(6600卢比),而中国的是400人民币(2800卢比)。

我要说的是,中国掌握的技术与日本旗鼓相当,且成本是最合理的。在印度,同样的距离,我们也许会花6000卢比去坐飞机,然后在候机室呆一个小时,飞行时间也是一个小时。

只有亲眼见了才会相信,中国几乎领先印度15年,他们能在6个月的时间实现别人两年里才取得的进步。相比之下,印度两年才取得6个月的进步。只有爱国和有决心的领导人才能改变印度目前的现状。

----------------------------------------------------------------------

High speed rail
by Jugal Ahuja

High speed rail service is available in quite a number of countries,starting with France,Japan,Germany,Taiwan,Korea,Spain,China etc. None of these countries except China has a length of 10,000 kms of HSR,others have less than 2000 kms. Beijing-Guangzhou,and Shanghai-Chongqing route each are of around 2500kms length.Nowhere in the world such long length of HSR routes are in operation. However the Western & Indian media carries stories of the Wuhan HSR mishap of 2011, in which 42 passengers lost their lives, and do not report any positive news. I am really surprised to read for the first time a news item praising China's very accomplised HSR system.Rediff deserves thanks for such postings.

许多国家开通了高铁,依次有法国、日本、德国、台湾、韩国、西班牙、中国等。除了中国,没有一个国家的高铁长度超过1万公里,其他国家都不足2000公里。京广高铁和沪渝高铁长度大约是2500公里,世界其他地方没有如此长的在运营高铁线路。

然而,西方媒体和印度媒体报道了2011年造成42名乘客丧生的武汉高铁事故,却并未报道中国高铁的任何正面新闻。头一回看到称赞中国高铁成就的新闻令我感到颇为吃惊。该给rediff如此公正的报道给个赞。

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

In congress raj, India progressed 10Km
by sanjay kulkarni

Its big achievement for Congress...
in last 10 years, India moved 10 km ahead by road and by train.
Also we have produced large no. of bullock carts so that we can travel fast.

After all, congress is busy with eating of money in scams like 2G spectrum, Coal mines, land issues and so many other...

who cares for the progress of this country...

Let we all should give Modi a chance...

lets see the change... whats wrong in this choice... we (as middle class) didnt vote so congress ruled this country for last 60 years...

Let Modi have a chance.... if he is true indian, then he may change (At least) few things in good for the country....

这是国大党的伟大成就......

过去十年里,印度公路和铁路的时速只提了10公里。

我们还造了大量的牛车,为的是能跑得快。

毕竟,国大党在忙着捞钱,制造了2G丑闻、煤炭丑闻、土地纠纷等许多其他问题......

谁会关心国家的进步......

让我们给穆迪一个机会吧......

拭目以待改变.....这个选择何错之有.....由于我们(中产阶级)不去投票,导致了国大党过去60年一直统治着国家......

给穆迪一个机会吧......如果他是真正的印度人,也许他会给国家带来一些利好改变.....

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tolaha

The news on Chinese bullet train network posted in an Indian site but the link to comments takes us to a Chinese site. What's going on? :noidea: And some of the comments are written by folks with Indian sounding names and are apparently located in India, but weirdly hate Japan to the core and just love China. This is a weird world!

Tolaha

Folks,

Go through the comments section on Rediff. And go through multiple profiles, especially of those talking rubbish on Japan or praising China. You may find the effort enriching, welcome to the information age! :namaste:

rockdog

Country flag
Folks,

Go through the comments section on Rediff. And go through multiple profiles, especially of those talking rubbish on Japan or praising China. You may find the effort enriching, welcome to the information age! :namaste:
The original link from Rediff is here:
I also post on the top of the article.

The Chinese link is a India Research Site, which is famous for translating News and comments about "India's China View" from India media to China cyber, you get it?

BTW, can anybody tell me any Indian site, would translate China's India View and related comment to India? Just curious.

Last edited:

Tolaha

The Chinese link is a India Research Site, which is famous for translating News and comments about "India's China View" from India media to China cyber, you get it?
Yes sir, I got that.

BTW, can anybody tell me any Indian site, would translate China's India View and related comment to India? Just curious.
Nope, nothing of that sort. Or may be there are. Have you seen any members on Chinese forums with Chinese sounding names dissing Pakistan and praising India, but who don't seem to have a clue about how real Chinese talk/write?

Free Karma

I'm not sure if I understand you right but whenever I want to use a chinese website, I just use google translate (mainly to find videos of dota or news of dota teams and the like).

amoy

where r hate-Japan comments? only a comparison of train fares btwn Chinese and Japanese Shinkansen for the same mileage.

why is Chinese HSR getting so much coverage? perhaps it suits a vast + populated China well enabling faster trips but at lower costs. however for small countries (even a slim Japan) HSR seems a white elephant.

also it's a game changer. like mentioned in post 1 the trip has bn reduced to 3+hrs fm 11 to seaport fm Jiangxi an inland prov.

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

Tolaha

where r hate-Japan comments? only a comparison of train fares btwn Chinese and Japanese Shinkansen for the same mileage.

Coming to the topic of Japan, I go there sometimes, and was quite surprised to see blonde haired Japanese men & women. I thought that maybe they had dyed their hair, but was told by some Indian businessmen residing in Japan, that these are the results of the American soldiers stationed at Okinawa,an island of Japan,where USA has a military base right from the II world war end. I was of the view that Japanese were a very proud race,but after seeing their government's attitude towards their humiliators of the II world war,I had to change my opinion.
I can say chinese mastered Technology at par with Japan with a most affordable cost..
You are right Jugalji, most of the countries including India are jealous of the astounding progress achieved by China in the field of HSR. Japan has had maximum number of accidents on their high speed services,but none find a place in the papers,because Japan is a western stooge.
This service was noway lesser than the much boasted and hyped Shinkansan Bullet train of Japan in which i also i travelled twice from Tokyo to Nagoya and from Osaka to Tokyo almost a span of 400 Kms.
Indians pouring their hatred about Japan of all countries, yeah true, very believable!

why is Chinese HSR getting so much coverage? perhaps it suits a vast + populated China well enabling faster trips but at lower costs. however for small countries (even a slim Japan) HSR seems a white elephant.

also it's a game changer. like mentioned in post 1 the trip has bn reduced to 3+hrs fm 11 to seaport fm Jiangxi an inland prov.
You sound like a bad salesman @amoy! Credit the CCP to make a bad salesman out of a Chinese!

Last edited by a moderator:

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Great job by China's policy makers.

An HSR "network" doesn't make sense in the Indian scene, unless there are >3 major cities that are no more than ~500 km apart from each other (because then aviation becomes the comprehensively quicker means of transport). There's talk of an HSR line that goes from Pune to Mumbai, and then on, to Ahmedabad. That's quite viable. A line between Bangalore and Chennai is also viable. Beyond that, there really are no two big cities in India that could do with HSR lines between them. Instead of investing in HSR, government could regulate airline fares better, and build more airports.

amoy

airlines being hurt badly esp. for short or medium distance flights. travellers would rather opt for bullet trains within 5-3hrs.

Ankara - Istanbul HSR undertaken by Chinese is abt to complete if u google.

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

nimo_cn

Country flag
Great job by China's policy makers.

An HSR "network" doesn't make sense in the Indian scene, unless there are >3 major cities that are no more than ~500 km apart from each other (because then aviation becomes the comprehensively quicker means of transport). There's talk of an HSR line that goes from Pune to Mumbai, and then on, to Ahmedabad. That's quite viable. A line between Bangalore and Chennai is also viable. Beyond that, there really are no two big cities in India that could do with HSR lines between them. Instead of investing in HSR, government could regulate airline fares better, and build more airports.
Depends on how you define major cities. Fuzhou and Nanchang could hardly be called the Chinese equivalents of Chennai and Bangalore.

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2

t_co

Depends on how you define major cities. Fuzhou and Nanchang could hardly be called the Chinese equivalents of Chennai and Bangalore.

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2
He's probably referring to cities by GDP output.

bennedose

India has the largest passenger-mile statitstics for trains (larger than China) because Indian railways are the preferred mode of transport for long distance travel by people who cannot afford air travel In that sense Indian Railways and Chinese railways cannot be compared. China is undoubtedly making fast and flashy trains and comparing itself with the west. India has a far more pragmatic approach that is not trying to say "Mine is bigger". But it serves more people per year.
Rail usage statistics by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

t_co

India has the largest passenger-mile statitstics for trains (larger than China) because Indian railways are the preferred mode of transport for long distance travel by people who cannot afford air travel In that sense Indian Railways and Chinese railways cannot be compared. China is undoubtedly making fast and flashy trains and comparing itself with the west. India has a far more pragmatic approach that is not trying to say "Mine is bigger". But it serves more people per year.
Rail usage statistics by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
China's been shifting people off 'slow trains' for the past decade to free up 'slow rail' space for freight. Chinese railroads carry more freight (on a million-ton basis) than the next 5 railways combined.

bennedose

China's been shifting people off 'slow trains' for the past decade to free up 'slow rail' space for freight. Chinese railroads carry more freight (on a million-ton basis) than the next 5 railways combined.
Oh absolutely. But Indian trains are people transport. India has 200 million people less than China but more people travel by train and do not get shoved off in favor of freight. In India the right to travel anywhere in the country at any time is only restricted by availability of seats in trains

t_co

Oh absolutely. But Indian trains are people transport. India has 200 million people less than China but more people travel by train and do not get shoved off in favor of freight. In India the right to travel anywhere in the country at any time is only restricted by availability of seats in trains
China doesn't "shove" people off in favor of freight, either. China just sets the quantity and price of train tickets, and if you don't have a ticket, you can't ride.

I'd much rather have a system like that than a system where people have a "right" to ride on trains without tickets.

bennedose

China doesn't "shove" people off in favor of freight, either. China just sets the quantity and price of train tickets, and if you don't have a ticket, you can't ride.

I'd much rather have a system like that than a system where people have a "right" to ride on trains without tickets.
No need to get defensive boss. I never said China shoves people off in favor of freight. I am accustomed to traveling where I like when I like and need no permits to travel within my country. No one has a right to travel on a train without tickets, but when people break the law or disagree with law enforcement it is reported in the media and known to the public and not hidden behind a veil of censorship to save face and appear orderly. I prefer that and am happy with that.

If you have what you want and you're happy good for you.

Last edited:

amoy

@bennedose Not sure how India railway operates. In China your ID card no. & Name is printed on ticket which will be scanned for check-in like seat no.. It's OK to travel WITHOUT ticket most of time, but then ID card has to be scanned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles